The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Aristocracy

Iluvbertie: there are some things in which Wikipedia is very accurate, and some things in which it's not. One of this is information about past royals, especially not very popular ones. I found confusing wikilinks (with people of the same names), dates and places, and, in this case, titles.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

sweating sickness

Despite of the fact that normally you donít witness the sweating sickness ailment as a popular life threatening disease, still you canít gainsay the importance of historical facts of this deadly disease. The mind numbing disaster of this disease was witnessed by the European countries in fifteenth century. England became the main target of sweating ailment and lots of people had died. Historically speaking, the reign of Henry VII was marked by many deaths due to this disease.
It was extremely alarming to the world that loads of patients died with in a short span of two months in 1482. Later on, Ireland became the second battlefield of this ailment in 1492. It was quite strange for doctors that only adults were the chief targets of this disease as this disease bypassed the children and infants from its harmful effects. Afterwards, it seemed like the sweating sickness had gone but another disaster struck England again after a decade in 1507. Although the disease didnít came out to be so deadly, still it claimed numerous lives.
The disease propagated further and almost the entire England got infected leaving only the Northern England safe

Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Serene Highness

Wikipedia is you and me. If you can find a better, more accurate source, please edit the wiki in question (or pm here with your source and I'll edit it). But wikipedia is entirely volunteer effort, and it requires that the sources be strong ones and the information be accurate - if it's not, it's up to all of us to correct it.

At least someone made an attempt (I haven't looked at the article in question, but I find the articles on royals to be pretty good - and cross checked against references often offered here).

I'm not convinced that the link, above, to sweating sickness refers to the same condition that actually killed people in the 15th century. Fevers cause sweating, and some fevers cause more sweating than others - it could have been one of several viruses. I have an atlas of historic disease somewhere, when I find it, I'll try and check what the forensic folks have to say about this spate of 15th century deaths (it's very interesting).

To me, it sounds like it could be a really bad flu, and given the closeness with which people lived to birds...could be a cross-species strain, but that's just a guess. I'm all into Henry VIII right now and trying to figure out his times.

The fact that northern England was safe makes me think maybe unseasonable warmness and some insect born illness?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Commoner

I find the death of Arthur very interesting, because it shaped (like many other events of course) history and our world today. We know that Henry VII did intend for Arthur to be his heir, and not Henry VIII, who was raised around his mother, sisters and Grandmother, Margaret Beufort, and was intended for a life devoted to God. So Arthur, regardless of his size or health was the intended heir. And we also know that Henry VII was devestated by Arthur's death, as was Elizabeth of York.