The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
IN your dreams it is doing very well. It all depends on a person's view of their government how old/young they are, if they have worked or volunteered to work for a party in their government come election time or not, how the elected officials in your area work for the people, and many other factors as to where our government is doing well. Being someone of an much older generation I have seen how much this country as changed. A good book to read on this subject is The Fall of the Roman Empire for it clearly IMHO reminds me of my country, so in time we will see what happens here.

Gads I can not believe some of the things that go on in this country, it just is a nightmare at times...........so we need change here now!
A lot of countries have gone through troubles times and America is going through it too. But to think America would be better off having a monarchy is laughable haha.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=M. Payton;2088236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
Hear, hear. Most republics in Europe that function fairly well, such as Germany, Finland and Iceland, have a ceremonial president that has little to do with the daily running of the country, as is the case in constitutional monarchies. There is very little need to replace a hereditary sovereign, who is neutral politically and trained at their job from early years, with someone who must be elected and can never achieve neutrality like a sovereign, just for the sake of doing so. Executive republics, like the U.S and Russia, can never function as well as a parliamentary republic, because too much power is gathered in the hands of one person, and power corrupts, always, so you always end up with a flawed presidency in one way or another.

I totally agree with your comment LR for all the years of reading history and learning here about the different governments and how they operate that a constitutional monarchy is the best way to go. In viewing first hand what my country goes through for many many decades now, that the *Executive Republic* has forgotten about the very people that put them in power. I used to be big in volunteering for a party and then learned and saw what goes on...not anymore! Became very disillusioned quickly and left. It is not just our president and by that I mean *All Presidents* not just the sitting one for it is our entire *Congress* what makes and breaks this country for they are the ones that really yield the power in our government. A group of men and women that do not work together and bicker and fight over every little article that is on the table.

I personally think the Spanish reign of King Felipe is doing a remarkable job in keeping in touch with the people and working on their behalf.
I agree but at the same time America is better off not being a monarchy. It’s been like that for 400 years. Now I like Felipe but I am not ignorant to the fact that their monarchy is fragile and will likely go away. Wow some of you guys here just wish every county would be a monarchy. Please live in the real world.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2088256]
Quote:
I agree but at the same time America is better off not being a monarchy. It’s been like that for 400 years. Now I like Felipe but I am not ignorant to the fact that their monarchy is fragile and will likely go away. Wow some of you guys here just wish every county would be a monarchy. Please live in the real world.
In the top of most developed, most prosperous, most egalitarian, most tolerant and most happy countries we always see the usual suspects: Danmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden , Luxembourg, etc. Guess what these countries are? Would it be coincidence?

The Catalan crisis had actually made King Felipe's position much stronger. The new King could left his mark and he did it in an impressive way. Very much El Rey indeed. No any worries for the monarchy.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2088256]
Quote:
The United States of America is a nation that’s barely 242 years old, and before that, it was all monarchical, whether its lands were under the rule of the British, French, Spanish, Mexican or any of the native tribes of the continent.
Whether or not you like Felipe as a person is not very relevant, and shows why so many Americans seemingly struggle to understand the concept of monarchy. It is not personal, and it has very little to do with personality. It is institutional.
Those who believe in the monarchy as a system of governance do not fight specifically for the rights of one person. It’s not an episode of ‘Idol’ or an issue of a celebrity magazine. Monarchy, as in the Spanish one for example, is how we choose to govern our lands, because it links us deeply to our past, and it functions well in our present situations.
The Spanish throne was the one who sponsored the voyage of Christopher Columbus more than five centuries ago, who then discovered the New World (the Americas), and without whom, your nations history would not come to be in the way that it did.
The Spanish throne is stable and historic, and just because it was vacant during the years of Franco, and restored following his death, does not mean it is unstable and at risk, today or from any foreseeable occurence tomorrow.

I would urge you to actually support your view with an argument or any kind of reason. It makes for a much more interesting debate. Any namecalling or random thoughts on who lives in ‘the real world’ or not, does not belong and contributes nothing to an informed exchange of ideas and perspectives.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I believe the US is doing very well as a republic.
Well, that post of mine you quoted is from February 2015, when my English (and Norwegian) writing skills were pretty bad (due to my dyslexia).

--------------------

And then to my thoughts about the Monarchy/Republic thing:

Why do I prefer an apolitical head of state with a parliamentary system and a prime minister, like we have in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, Finland, Iceland, Ireland and Austria etc?

Well, here are two points that I think will answer it:
1. Yes, we have our problems in the above-mentioned countries as well, but most of these heads of states (especially constitutional monarchs, but also presidents) are unifying - and may have an approval rating at 80/90%.

2. A political head of government is always going to be divisive and almost always have an approval ratings below 50%, and should therefore not be the head of state.

--------------------

Why do I prefer a constitutional apolitical monarchy (with that I mean the European model) instead of an apolitical serimonial president?

Because I think it's the best political system one can have, and it's (IMO) good for democracy. - Here's why:

An apolitical president:
1. He/she will most likely be a politician (not very apolitical).

2. He/she has to be elected (either by the people or the parliament), and that can quickly turn into a divisive, political and (yes) crazy thing.

3. The president (although apolitical on the paper) will probably have many good contacts from a political life that he/she could use to intervene in matters that an apolitical head of state should stay FAR AWAY from.

An constitutional apolitical monarch:
1. He/she don't have the ability to intervene/interfere in political matters (yes, some European constitutional monarchs may have that power on paper, but not in reality, and won't use it anyway).

2. He/she have the opportunity (if they behave properly) to become unifying symbols that unify the nation.
It means that we appear in our thousands (millions in the UK) to celebrate them during jubilees/anniversaries and birthdays - and to honor them when they dies (there are almost somthing magical to it).

3. He/she will have some of the family members there (who in some cases also become unifying figures) to support them in their work.

--------------------

BTW, perhaps the mods could move this and some of the other posts to the ''Monarchies & Republics: Future and Benefits'' thread.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, that post of mine you quoted is from February 2015, when my English (and Norwegian) writing skills were pretty bad (due to my dyslexia).

--------------------

And then to my thoughts about the Monarchy/Republic thing:

Why do I prefer an apolitical head of state with a parliamentary system and a prime minister, like we have in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, Finland, Iceland, Ireland and Austria etc?

Well, here are two points that I think will answer it:
1. Yes, we have our problems in the above-mentioned countries as well, but most of these heads of states (especially constitutional monarchs, but also presidents) are unifying - and may have an approval rating at 80/90%.

2. A political head of government is always going to be divisive and almost always have an approval ratings below 50%, and should therefore not be the head of state.

--------------------

Why do I prefer a constitutional apolitical monarchy (with that I mean the European model) instead of an apolitical serimonial president?

Because I think it's the best political system one can have, and it's (IMO) good for democracy. - Here's why:

An apolitical president:
1. He/she will most likely be a politician (not very apolitical).

2. He/she has to be elected (either by the people or the parliament), and that can quickly turn into a divisive, political and (yes) crazy thing.

3. The president (although apolitical on the paper) will probably have many good contacts from a political life that he/she could use to intervene in matters that an apolitical head of state should stay FAR AWAY from.

An constitutional apolitical monarch:
1. He/she don't have the ability to intervene/interfere in political matters (yes, some European constitutional monarchs may have that power on paper, but not in reality, and won't use it anyway).

2. He/she have the opportunity (if they behave properly) to become unifying symbols that unify the nation.
It means that we appear in our thousands (millions in the UK) to celebrate them during jubilees/anniversaries and birthdays - and to honor them when they dies (there are almost somthing magical to it).

3. He/she will have some of the family members there (who in some cases also become unifying figures on their one) to support them in their work.

--------------------

BTW, perhaps the mods could move this and some of the other posts to
the ''Monarchies & Republics: Future and Benefits'' thread.
Differences of opinion. America is fine the way it is.