Tiara & Jewels guessing for upcoming events 1: Oct 2009 - Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Kate has, so far, never shown any liking for grand and striking jewels. She seems to prefer an understated look, and therefore I can't imagine that she will combine such a grand necklace like the v-shaped ruby necklace with her tiara. She has her own ruby necklace, btw. It is of a somewhat fringy design and was worn only once. A wedding present, iirc.

Unfortunately Kate has, so far, never shown any liking for grand and striking jewels. She seems to prefer an understated look, and therefore I can't imagine that she will combine such a grand necklace like the v-shaped ruby necklace with her tiara. She has her own ruby necklace, btw. It is of a somewhat fringy design and was worn only once. A wedding present, iirc.

If she wears a necklace at all. So far she hasn't worn big necklaces very often. Lets hope she puts her hair up to shocase the tiara she chooses to it's best.

I hope she wears the Lover Knot tiara. Let's just get it out of the way.

I think most likely she will wear the Halo tiara, diamond earrings and the diamond bracelet that Charles gave her but with no necklace. I'm going to go off the wall and guess that the dress will be red silk. Very understated. I think the only reason she wore the Lotus to the diplomatic corps reception was that the Halo was out on loan at the time.

The only new gift from the Queen that I'm expecting to see is Kate wearing the Royal Family Order of Elizabeth II. :flowers:

:previous: I agree. I don't see Kate debuting other tiaras for her first state banquet. Agreed also about her jewellery. I just hope she will sport an updo, but we all know that she isn'.t (unfortunately) fond of them:whistling:. That's a pity because updos favour her much better than half-up hair.

guess that the dress will be red silk

Nice idea, but white gowns seem to be obligatory for the Windsor Women on these occasions, altho' it may be different in this instance since white is the Chinese colour for mourning...

Last edited:
:bang: I wasn't aware that state banquets required white formal gowns. Snooping around, all I've seen is that evening gowns are required. I do know that white gowns are the dress code for the State Opening of Parliament.

White gowns are not obligatory. However in the last decade+ HM has always worn white. I think it is an elegant easy choice to show off whatever color sashes she may be wearing from the vision country.

I expect Kate in a light muted color (not white) or red. Would be shocked if she was in a dark or vivid color other than red.

Given that the Chinese regard Red as a symbol of good luck, I think we shall see Rubies feature quite heavily amongst the jewels worn at the State banquet.. HMQ has plenty, but for Catherine the only option is a necklace with rather pallid stones, that dont really 'read' as red. Sadly I don't have a close up picture.

Here are some close-up photos of the necklace.

Close-up 1
Close-up 2
Close-up 3

I agree that the stones don't read red, they look pink to me.

The Boucheron necklace is really lovely, but I don't know if it's "too much" for Kate. She seems to prefer more delicate jewels. Still, I'd love for her to surprise us and wear something grand.

Last edited:
:previouse: Thanks for posting those pics! I couldn't find them anymore, but that's the necklace I meant. I think that the rubies on the spikes are set around a central diamond, so the colour doesn't look so bright. But the sparkling isn't bad. :D
I wonder if this necklace would look good on a tiara frame?

For next week I still expect to see the halo tiara. It's her wedding tiara, after all. She probably feels a bit sentimental about it, and would like to wear it again.

I suspect she will wear her wedding tiara.
Personally I've always wondered if Catherine really was loaned the Lotus tiara by the Queen (With some implying this was a more permanent loan for the future) or if in fact it remains with the Linley's and they lent it to Catherine while her wedding tiara was unavailable. W&C seem somewhat close to the Linley's given they used their French house for a holiday and William was spotted sitting in-front of a Linley desk when filming some remarks.

:previous: I agree, as I have always seen that tiara as a default tiara since her Halo Scroll was on a touring display.

I would dearly love to see the Halo Scroll against a ravishing updo that allows her hair to be the foil thus allowing us to see it in all it's intended glory. Seeing her wearing her not too dissimilar wedding earrings and her diamond bracelet would also be a treat.

My predictions for the Chinese state dinner:

Elizabeth: Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara
Catherine: Lotus Tiara
Sophie: Wedding Tiara
Anne: Festoon Tiara

Personally I've always wondered if Catherine really was loaned the Lotus tiara by the Queen (With some implying this was a more permanent loan for the future) or if in fact it remains with the Linley's and they lent it to Catherine while her wedding tiara was unavailable. W&C seem somewhat close to the Linley's given they used their French house for a holiday and William was spotted sitting in-front of a Linley desk when filming some remarks.
That is an interesting thought. It could be true, though I hope it is not. (Because I'd like to see the Duchess with the paryrus tiara more often in the future.) It occurs to me that we don't usually see pictures from the diplomatic reception, so it was not 'planned' that Kate would be photographed with the papyrus tiara. So maybe the court didn't think much about which tiara Kate should wear, because they thought that the public wouldn't see her anyway. At least that's what the thought before the recption.:D

On the other hand we know that the Queen has plenty of tiaras, not been worn for ages. There was no need to borrow from the Linleys, because the Queen certainly was willing to provide one.

On another note: I hope that there will be a photographer outside the palace for this year's diplomatic reception. It's usually early in December, isn't it?

That is an interesting thought. It could be true, though I hope it is not. (Because I'd like to see the Duchess with the paryrus tiara more often in the future.) It occurs to me that we don't usually see pictures from the diplomatic reception, so it was not 'planned' that Kate would be photographed with the papyrus tiara. So maybe the court didn't think much about which tiara Kate should wear, because they thought that the public wouldn't see her anyway. At least that's what the thought before the recption.:D

On the other hand we know that the Queen has plenty of tiaras, not been worn for ages. There was no need to borrow from the Linleys, because the Queen certainly was willing to provide one.

On another note: I hope that there will be a photographer outside the palace for this year's diplomatic reception. It's usually early in December, isn't it?

Actually it was HM that loaned the tiara to Kate and not the Lindleys. I knew I had seen it somewhere and finally found where I saw the information. On Margaret's death, the Papyrus (Lotus) tiara was returned to royal vaults.

"Also sometimes called the Papyrus Tiara, this is one of the tiaras that belonged to the young Queen Mum. Margaret wore it throughout her life, and her daughter-in-law, Viscountess Linley, wore it as a wedding tiara. After Margaret's death, it apparently returned to the royal vaults, resurfacing again recently when it was worn by the Duchess of Cambridge."

The Top Ten: Princess Margaret's Jewels | The Court Jeweller

The Court Jeweller is very nice blog, but the bloggers don't really know much more than we do. Most of the information they use comes from the internet, and over time I have seen inaccuracies here and there on the blog. So I think they just follow the usual assumption that many people made when Kate was seen with the papyrus tiara. Imo, it is just another one of the cases, where nothing is publicly known about the ownership history. It might be true that the tiara was loaned by Queen Mum to Ps. Margaret, it is also possible that the tiara was very discreetly and privately brought back by the Queen, or by Charles, or by William; or it might have been a loan from the Linleys... There are a lot of assumptions possible, though I admit that I tend to believe that it was only loaned to Princess Margaret.

I am quite looking forward to the banquet tomorrow and hope that we will see good pictures of all the ladies. I long to see good tiara pictures of Princess Anne again, and Sophie too deserves a bit more spotlight.

The Court Jeweller is very nice blog, but the bloggers don't really know much more than we do. Most of the information they use comes from the internet, and over time I have seen inaccuracies here and there on the blog. So I think they just follow the usual assumption that many people made when Kate was seen with the papyrus tiara. Imo, it is just another one of the cases, where nothing is publicly known about the ownership history. It might be true that the tiara was loaned by Queen Mum to Ps. Margaret, it is also possible that the tiara was very discreetly and privately brought back by the Queen, or by Charles, or by William; or it might have been a loan from the Linleys... There are a lot of assumptions possible, though I admit that I tend to believe that it was only loaned to Princess Margaret.

I am quite looking forward to the banquet tomorrow and hope that we will see good pictures of all the ladies. I long to see good tiara pictures of Princess Anne again, and Sophie too deserves a bit more spotlight.
Exactly. The blogs are well researched but alot of jewellry knowledge is not public or out there so alot of information has to be some kind of "generally agreed on most probable"-version :)

I really hope she will wear anything but the Halo Scroll.. I just can't appreciate it.. I don't know if it's the shape, or the size... I think the Lotus tiara looks very good on her so I hope she'll wear that one! With some rubies of course ;)

:previouse: Thanks for posting those pics! I couldn't find them anymore, but that's the necklace I meant. I think that the rubies on the spikes are set around a central diamond, so the colour doesn't look so bright. But the sparkling isn't bad. :D
I wonder if this necklace would look good on a tiara frame?

For next week I still expect to see the halo tiara. It's her wedding tiara, after all. She probably feels a bit sentimental about it, and would like to wear it again.

You're welcome! I think you're right about the diamonds obscuring the color of rubies. I also wonder if their color would stand out more in different lighting. The necklace is nice, but think it would look so much better as a tiara. I'm hoping she wears it that way one day. I'm predicting the Halo tiara too, but I'm hoping for something else.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wore the Lotus Flower again. It's a lovely tiara and we really didn't get a proper look the last time she wore it.

Last edited:
I really hope she will wear anything but the Halo Scroll.. I just can't appreciate it.. I don't know if it's the shape, or the size... I think the Lotus tiara looks very good on her so I hope she'll wear that one! With some rubies of course ;)

I would be 100 % sure that Catherine would surprise us by wearing a significant tiara if it were not for a possible concern by the Queen not to demote Camilla. I mean, if Catherine had the Lovers Knot for example, Camilla would be publically humiliated as she has never been allowed to wear it. In fact, the Camilla factor is the only thing IMHO that is holding Catherine back in the jewelry department (I don't think it has anything to do with Kate's "disliking" grand jewels).

I would be 100 % sure that Catherine would surprise us by wearing a significant tiara if it were not for a possible concern by the Queen not to demote Camilla. I mean, if Catherine had the Lovers Knot for example, Camilla would be publically humiliated as she has never been allowed to wear it. In fact, the Camilla factor is the only thing IMHO that is holding Catherine back in the jewelry department (I don't think it has anything to do with Kate's "disliking" grand jewels).

I don't think Camilla care about what jewels Catherine gets to wear. Camilla have The Queen Mother's jewels that she likes and pretty much stick with. The Queen has loaned Camilla some other jewels as well.

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara was not Diana's tiara. It was just a loan to Diana from The Queen. The Queen hasn't worn it since the 50's and no one else in the family seems to have worn it since Diana last wore in the early 90's. No one would have a problem with Catherine wearing it.

A bit far fetched. The Queen gave access to Camilla to some significant jewels (Delhi Durbar for instance) and the lover knots was out of the question for obvious reasons : it's an iconic piece attached to the memory of the late Princess of Wales. It's not a question of alowing or not Camilla to wear this tiara, it's more that the duchess of Cornwall is not foolish enough to be seen with a signature piece of Diana. Have you any sources explaining that Camilla wanted to wear this tiara and was forbidden to do so ? It doesn't make any sense.
As for Kate, the Lover knot would bring any more tiresome comparision with her late mother in law. Only for that, i hope to see the Lotus tiara again.

Certainly HMQ would look askance at any remotely controversial action by 'the Palace', on so 'delicate' a visit.. given the amount of importance attached to it, by the Foreign Office. So the 'Lovers Knot' will remain in the vault for at least, the coming week !

I don't think Camilla would be humilated if Kate wore the Lover's Knot. That tiara is so closely tied to Diana, so I doubt Camilla is even interested in wearing it.

It's held in November or December.

Given that the Chinese regard Red as a symbol of good luck, I think we shall see Rubies feature quite heavily amongst the jewels worn at the State banquet.. HMQ has plenty,...

If rubies are prominent for the BRF during the Chinese State Visit, then possibly the Queen will wear ruby pendants inside the Vladmir Tiara or maybe in the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Tiara. (Nothing like putting all the nonsense to rest.)

The ruby and diamond floral bandeau necklace will look great on Camilla.
Anything from Maggie's (Margaret Greville) collection, will be suitable for Camilla. Maggie must be smiling each time she looks down to see Camilla wearing one of her jewels.

If there are extra rubies in the Queen's vault Camilla can wear them in the her tiara. (The Queen can loan Camilla the Vladmir while she wears the Cambridge.)

Anne and Sophie can wear rubies in their hair.

Personally, I do not see Catherine attending the State Banquet for the Chinese President.

In the off chance she does attend, it might be the debut of The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II. IMO, I do not think the Order will make its debut with a new tiara.

If Catherine attends, she will probably wear the Halo Scroll Tiara.

Or the Chinese State Banquet could be low key jewelry affair and a disappointment to tiara watchers.

One must remember, it's Catherine place to wear the family heirlooms and I think the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara would be very fitting for her to wear. If not State Banquets, then she could wear it to attend the State Opening of Parliament in the future. It's a shame that such a beautiful jewel has been left to gather dust over the years. It was meant to be worn, so wear it.

I agree. I don't think she'll wear it tomorrow, but I do hope we'll see it on her in the future.

I doubt we'll see the Cambridge Lovers knot - Diana didn't like it as it was too heavy/uncomfortable to wear and Catherine has very little tiara wearing experience - so I don't see Catherine wrestling with such a big tiara for a lengthy state banquet. The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Cambridge Lover's Knot
I expect we'll see Catherine in the Halo scroll tiara The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Halo Scroll Tiara which is not a favorite of mine, I'd prefer the Lotus as the design is a bit more interesting to me, but I'd really like to see Catherine in one of the larger tiaras.

It would be hilarious if Kate is after all not attending the whole state banquet at all.. :eek: Like half of the British media is speculating for weeks about tiaras and gowns and stuff (us included) and we even don't know for sure she'll be there!

I hope she is of course, I would love love love to see her in a tiara again! It would be so lovely! Fingers crossed for tonight guys!

(My wish is to see her with the Lover's Knot but since that's not really realistic, I'll go for the Papyrus)

EDIT: After all, they seem to be attending!!! YES! :)

Last edited:
And the winner is: The papyrus tiara/lotus flower tiara!

I admit to be surprised, as I firmly expected to see the halo scroll. But Catherine looks great and I'm very happy to see the papyrus tiara again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom