The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
You are right. Perhaps I should clarify, I do not think Silvia likes to alter jewels like, for exampole, Queen Mary did, or more recently, Princess Mary did with her Ruby parure.
And i kind of understand it. I would be scared to. And if she does something people doesn't like they will blame her for destroying parts of history.

I liked the "remake" Victoria did. The earrings she wore the day before the wedding. They were from the shoulders of an old military formal uniform and she made them into earrings. Very clever. And the button tiaras, though they became bad, was made from buttons. So they do play, but much of their jewelry is very versatile and they use jewelry in a way not intended (brooches and necklaces in hair, tiara pendants as necklace etc) without having to remake them. I would understand more remakes if they had a smaller collection, but they seem very content.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yes, Queen Silvia likes to play with the jewels, but she does not alter the substance of the historic piece. The amethyst necklace in itself is not altered, the buttons can probably just be screwed off the frames, etc.

While I agree that it would look better if the amethyst elements stood upright, that might be too big a change to that historical jewel. Whereas I think that it must be fairly easy to take out one or more elements and put them back when needed.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Yes, Queen Silvia likes to play with the jewels, but she does not alter the substance of the historic piece. The amethyst necklace in itself is not altered, the buttons can probably just be screwed off the frames, etc.

While I agree that it would look better if the amethyst elements stood upright, that might be too big a change to that historical jewel. Whereas I think that it must be fairly easy to take out one or more elements and put them back when needed.
I think this is the point I wanted to make. Mary and Margarethe, if I am not mistaken, spoke about this in the Scandi jewels documentary a few years ago. This has obviously happened over time. Jewels, can and should, be adapted to bring out the best in them and their users, keeping in mind evolving uses.

I appreciate Silvia's view that the integrity of historical jewels needs to be preserved, but I am a bit more in the Margarethe / Mary camp on this.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think this is the point I wanted to make. Mary and Margarethe, if I am not mistaken, spoke about this in the Scandi jewels documentary a few years ago. This has obviously happened over time. Jewels, can and should, be adapted to bring out the best in them and their users, keeping in mind evolving uses.

I appreciate Silvia's view that the integrity of historical jewels needs to be preserved, but I am a bit more in the Margarethe / Mary camp on this.
But the ruby Parure which was changed by Mary can be changed back to it's original form with the ecxeption of the tiara.
I think i found it quiet strange when i read in the Queens Diamonds that Queen Mary even broke up Jewels she had got as Wedding gifts to make other Jewels out from the diamonds and pearls who sometimes (the fringe tiara for example) resembled Jewels she had already for her use.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree with you. The bad part is we won't know if the queen doing the changes will make it better. Often it does. But then we have the Nizam-Burmese spectacle. Hurts me every time I see it.... Such a bad decision!
I have just set up another thread where suggested changes can be discussed.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

I have moved some posts to the British thread which muriel has just created.
The thread can be found here: British jewels: Suggested changes

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I think with the button tiaras it would already help if the bases would be changed. Renmove the second shorter upper row from the six-button tiara and use this diamonds to cover the ugly frame of the four-button tiara.
A nice idea would also to put the emerald-necklace on a frame so that it could be jused as tiara like the amethyst tiara.
Another tiara which also needs some changes is the tiara which is called Victoria's 18th birthday gift tiara. It has quiet an ugly base which has often showed when she wore it.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Serene Highness

Agree with you about the 4-Button tiara. It really is the the tragic child in the swedish tiara collection. If they wanna continue with it they need to get a real diamond base and to try to not have the buttons looking like cat ears. Or rebuild it completely and to have it look more like the strathmore rose tiara. They have 2 more buttons available who are not used in any of the tiaras.

The 6-button tiara was made for Princess Lilian and it really shows. Since her departure and since Princess Christinas tiara was stolen it has been exclusively worn by Christina and i think it will continue that way. She is the only one who has hair enough to make it justice. By that reason i think she'll have the last word in wether this tiara will be rebuilt or not.

Also agree with you about Victorias 18:th birthday tiara. They need to get that awful base replaced by a smaller diamond base. I suggest a Diamond collet base.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:22 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I actually dislike the 6 button tiara much more. The two diamond 'stripes' under the six buttons are devoid of any elegance and it is a mystery why they are there. If the base of the 4-button is hidden, it can look acceptable, though it usually reminds me of a Jeep.

The 4-button tiara looks OK in this picture for example, or when CPss Victoria added a row of diamonds, click here.

A minor change would be to make the 6-button as a sort of coronet. Using a base simular to the Dutch star tiara or Fabiola's Spanish tiara. The base have enough diamonds to be rearanged, so it would be a cheap alteration.

I think Victoria's birthday tiara is ok for the purpose of it: to be worn by a young girl. It may look a bit over the top for an 18 y/o to wear an overly glittering tiara. The base is atrocious though.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I shudder at the thought that poor Estelle will have to wear the small saphire thingy as well. It has no sparkle, the saphires catch no light and don't show off at all. Maybe the saphires need to be surrounded by diamonds to show better?

I agree that Madeleine had the best Jeep hairstyl in years, but even on her it would have looked better to have an uneven number of buttons. Unfortunately there are only 4 identical ones.

They could keep the current frame of the six button tiara for Princess Christina, and still have an alternative frame made. It can't be difficult to make the buttons versatile so they can be used on different frames. Though I don't mind the 6 button tiara when it is worn by Princess Christina. But then it is becoming boring to see her with hardly any other tiaras anymore.

I think that the reason for the two diamond lines in the sixpack tiara is to make it look different from the 4b tiara, and to give it some hight. But there are better ways to achieve the effect.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Some ideas:
1.I think they should remove the buttons off their frames and attach them directly to their hair kinda of like what Empress Sisi did with her stars
http://www.coolcapitals.com/media/up...0d98c93faa.jpg

2. They could create a parure from the topazes by either removing the pendants off the necklace and placing them (with the point at the bottom) on a frame with its base covered with a row of diamonds in between two rows of pearls...and in order to fill the gaps between the pendants on the frame they could place pear shaped pearls In between them and on the edges or they could wear the necklace without the pendants as a bandeau on their head and attach the pendants on a 2row pearl necklace 2 on the inner row and one on the outer and if they want they could use the smaller brooch to make a bracelet by adding rows of pearls and diamonds on the sides

3. The emerald belt is very big so they could create a pair of earrings using the already removed two elements....now if they split the remaining belt in 2 they could use half to create a tiara/bandeau and they could put the big round element in the middle and to make it look bigger they can add a row of diamonds on the base and at the top, they can suspend the other big round element of the belt from the big diamond rivière of the Brazilian parure to create a necklace, and use the other half of the split belt to create 2 bracelets or a bracelet and a ring and a few hair pins and the existing brooches can continue to serve their current function

4 the sapphires of the Leuchtenburg tiara are detachable so they could remove two and add them to the top of the large pear shaped pearl earrings to create pearl and sapphire earrings suitable for day wear or to be worn with the necklace of the processional jewels or even with the rest of the parure if they'll be able to cover the missing elements on the edges of the tiara with hair

6 to give the cameo tiara a little sparkle they could add very small (tiny) diamonds in the spaces between the pearls

7 the ruby tiara: those heart like things are very tall and look a little stupid since there's only 3 so they could remove the side brackets and the top diamond from the heart like elements or create another two to even it out or remove them completely. That way they'll have a small but decent looking ruby tiara and they could use the 3 removed elements to create other ruby jewels like earings using the top and middle part of 2 of them (the outer pointy part and the ruby in the middle) and could use the third as a pendant...they already have a brooch and voila a parure or they could do some thing like this person did...i think it looks rather good
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9e9d8b849b.jpg

8 the Connaught diamond tiara: replace the diamond pendants with pearls or emeralds or rubies or amethysts or topazes another way of creating tiaras for the other Demi parurs

9 the amethysts tiara is rather flat so instead of mounting it on a Frame they should kind of wrap around their heads a bit like a band/sash so it takes the shape of the head without leaving gaps
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure that they will never make such a complex change to the ruby tiara. But I really like the photoshopped picture. Great idea!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm sure that they will never make such a complex change to the ruby tiara. But I really like the photoshopped picture. Great idea!
They might actually.... Because then it wouldn't look as much as it did and not evoke as much connection to the "scandal".

Also, I love the idea of interchangeable drops in the Connaught tiara.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
They might actually.... Because then it wouldn't look as much as it did and not evoke as much connection to the "scandal".

Also, I love the idea of interchangeable drops in the Connaught tiara.
I'm not convinced. It is still recognizable; the press will take the breaking up of an historic jewel as a pretext to warm up the old “scandal”. And the Queen seems to be unwilling to make such substantial changes to the heirloom jewels.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm not convinced. It is still recognizable; the press will take the breaking up of an historic jewel as a pretext to warm up the old “scandal”. And the Queen seems to be unwilling to make such substantial changes to the heirloom jewels.
Yeah, I know.... But maybe down the line?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Royal Highness

I made some dangle-versions for the Connaught tiara. I posted the pictures here in the Photoshop thread: Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels 3

(Didn't want to double post them...)

Tags
swedish jewels