The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
I have to agree with you, Layla. I simply do not understand the GRF; I'm trying to, but it is just not happening.

With all due respect to the fans of the Greek Royal family, what is the point? To me, GRF are living in the past and perhaps believe that they have some power or importance in Greece. Second, I get the feeling that Constantine is holding on to something that will never happen again for the family; it's as if he simply cannot accept that royalty in Greece is over and will never be restored. Third, hanging around other reigning families, with whom he is not related too, seems to make him feel important, more so, when he is being photographed (to me his actions come off that way.) When photographed it seems he is trying to hard to be next to or near to other reigning Kings and Queens by letting the public know that he is just as important; moreover, that he is, in fact, a King.
Please correct me if my sentiments are wrong.:)
The former Kings of Bulgaria and Roumania, the disposed royal and imperial houses of Austria, Italy, France, Germany/Prussia, Portugal, Russia etc etc. hang out with the same royals as well. This not living in the past but they just know these people (most of them from their youth) and get invited to things. Should they refuse invitations according to you?

The point is that they simply are the disposed royal family of Greece and they will remain the disposed royal family of Greece. You can call it outdated as often as you want, but it is a simple fact which cannot be changed.

How are they living in the past? Most members of the Greek RF are building their own carreers and actually work for a living, they are very much focussed on a future without a leading role in Greece.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
The former Kings of Bulgaria and Roumania, the disposed royal and imperial houses of Austria, Italy, France, Germany/Prussia, Portugal, Russia etc etc. hang out with the same royals as well. I tis not living in the past but they just know these people (most of them from their youth) and get invited to things. Should they refuse invitasions according to you?
Oh goodness, I believe you are reading my sentiments to harshly. So much so, that I will end this conversation by not responding to you; for I am afraid that you will misunderstand what I am trying to say. I don't want to have a confrontation so enough is enough for me.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Oh goodness, I believe you are reading my sentiments to harshly. So much so, that I will end this conversation by not responding to you; for I am afraid that you will misunderstand what I am trying to say. I don't want to have a confrontation so enough is enough for me.
I was not heading for any confrontation, please do not interpret my words that way. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

But still I wonder, as you stated they go to to many royal events, should they refuse the invitations (and if so, why)?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But in the end I believe that it was a part of the greek politicians who mistreated this family very badly indeed.
If you check the two last centuries history proved that when a country decides to mistreat their royal family, generaly it goes further than just the exile.... remember of the French revolution, of the Tsar's destiny, of what happened to Bavarian Maximilian, first King of Mexico, etc, etc, I do not mean that it was an example to follow, but when big social and political crashes arrive in a country, some times there is no pity,... is sad to say but it happens. So you can not say that Greece mistreated their royals, by JUST chassing them, they could have done much much worst....

Quote:
the way they treated King Alexander I (who was not allowed to call his own mother & who died without his parents being able to visit or burry him).
He died very fast, his parents were exiled, when he accepted to be the King he knew that situation, that his father and elder brother had been obliged to resign in his favour, these events are "State Reasons". Sometimes royals or politicians are obliged to accept behaviors who look cruels for the middle human.
Remember in our days, Princess Maxima gor married but she was not allowed to invite her father in the wedding. Would you say that Holland mistreated her???

Quote:
Living in a royal way had more to do with the marriages the greek RF made then with the income they derived from Greece. It is well known that the members of the greek RF who did not marry well were relatively poor (for example the parents of the duke of Edinburgh). The Russian marriages, Marie Bonaparte and Nancy Leeds brought some money in the family.
You are right, greek Royals being exiled were quite poor, but this was normal in these days, royal had not realised that their position was not strong enough for the next centuries, and most of them did not hide much money abroad, for these kind of events. All Russian royalty and aristocracy was very poor in exile, last Austro-Hungarian Emperor (I do not recall the name, Zita's husband) also, he was soo poor abroad, he died from cold and starving, that's sad but they were EXILED, this behavior was not proper to Greece towards GRF.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If you check the two last centuries history proved that when a country decides to mistreat their royal family, generaly it goes further than just the exile.... remember of the French revolution, of the Tsar's destiny, of what happened to Bavarian Maximilian, first King of Mexico, etc, etc, I do not mean that it was an example to follow, but when big social and political crashes arrive in a country, some times there is no pity,... is sad to say but it happens. So you can not say that Greece mistreated their royals, by JUST chassing them, they could have done much much worst....
Generally it does not go further then excile, the examples you give are the only ones which were very violant that I can recall. Most treated their royals on excile or not even that. There are plenty of examples: Roumania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Austria, Brazil, Portugal, France (1 time violent, 4 times peacefull: Napoleon, Bourbon, Orleans, Napoleon), Prussia, Wurttemberg, Hannover,etc.

I never said Greece as a whole mistreated them, but certain politicians used them as their pawns/scapegoats, which was easily taken over by their followers. If I created the impression that 'Greece' as a whole mistreated the Greek RF, I want to correct that now, there were and are still plenty of greek people who treat them with respect or at least cordially.

My impressions are mainly based on books I read about the greek royal families and what surprised me most is that the RF was cheered at very often, people trying to persuade the RF not to leave and trying to stop the cars from leaving the palace in 1919 (?), but just a few years before two members of the greek RF were put on a public trial (from what I read, mainly because of public sentiment, manipulated by some parties), and a few years later the public sentiment seemed changed yet again against the monarchy.

Quote:
He died very fast, his parents were exiled, when he accepted to be the King he knew that situation, that his father and elder brother had been obliged to resign in his favour, these events are "State Reasons". Sometimes royals or politicians are obliged to accept behaviors who look cruels for the middle human.
Remember in our days, Princess Maxima gor married but she was not allowed to invite her father in the wedding. Would you say that Holland mistreated her???
The guy was only 20 (or so) when he accepted and he did his duty to his father, family and country. I agree that he accepted his new role, but to have no contact with his relatives, not even on the telephone, was not part of this and was a rule of a later date.
He died fast, but it still took several days before they allowed any family member to see him. Sadly, this delay stopped his grandmother Queen Olga from beeing with him, and she arrived just half a day late or so. If she was allowed instantly to come, or even better, if his parents/mother were allowed instantly to come, they would have been their on time. It was very cruel of the people who were in charge then.

Being married without a father or to die alone is something different in my opinion. Maxima is not forbidden to see her father now, in fact she even saw him a few hours after the wedding.

Quote:
You are right, greek Royals being exiled were quite poor, but this was normal in these days, royal had not realised that their position was not strong enough for the next centuries, and most of them did not hide much money abroad, for these kind of events. All Russian royalty and aristocracy was very poor in exile, last Austro-Hungarian Emperor (I do not recall the name, Zita's husband) also, he was soo poor abroad, he died from cold and starving, that's sad but they were EXILED, this behavior was not proper to Greece towards GRF.
My remarks on the financial status of the greek RF was a reply to the remark that the RF could keep up their status because of Greece. I thought you implied that the greek RF received much money from Greece and they could live in style because of that. I pointed out that much more was needed to live like that, even when they still were in Greece. Prince Nicholas financed his palace with the money of his russian wife for example. Prince Andrew, who did not have a rich wife, lived relatively modest, hence the stories that Prince Phillip was born on 'a kitchentable' (which I read in several books about the british royals, though it is probably completely wrong).
I agree with your assesment on the relatively poor financial status of exciled royalty.

Having all this said, I hope you do not take my comments the wrong way, I have nothing against Greece or greeks.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Nobility

From Diez Minutos (I think)

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

yes, it is from diez minutos.:)
Old 12-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
from getty images :
LONDON - DECEMBER 5:

Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece arrive at the VIP preview screening of "A Different Story", a documentary based on singer George Michael's life, at the Curzon Mayfair on December 5, 2005 in London, England.
More pics from press.contrastphoto
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Gentry

Like Marengo, I too want to apologize if I offended anyone or if it appears as if Greece and the Greeks were disrespected. There were many excellent points made including the one about Pavlos leading the way to doing more for the country of Greece. However, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I believe in loyalty. Thus, I believe that even though Marie-Chantal is not obliged to do more for Greece, she should do more out of loyalty for her husband. He did give her a title which many women secretly covet. (What woman hasn't fantasized about marrying a prince?) Take a look at Audrey Hepburn and Angelina Jolie. Look at what they have done for improverished nations. Although my meeting Marie-Chantal was positive, I still feel that volunteering in Greek schools, reading to Greek kids, and helping poor Greek neighborhoods is really what she should be doing, instead of opening up baby stores that sell clothes at outrageously high prices. By the way, I am not Greek. I'm actually Puerto Rican, but I've always been a huge fan of royalty. Thus, I'm not saying this because I'm a Greek patriot, but because I'm old fashioned and believe that Marie-Chantal should be loyal to her husband's title. I feel her attitude should be, "Look Greek people, I know I'm not Greek, however, I'll learn to be Greek by supporting your schools and neighborhood." Angelina Jolie not only helped Cambodia, but she supported it by adopting one of their poor citizens. If a nutcase like Angelina Jolie can show that kind of honor and support, then why can't Marie-Chantal. I hate to disrespect the Latina sister, but even though she is nice, Marie-Chantal is as materialistic as Jennifer Lopez.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Aristocracy

Leonor´s Christening

Hello

Pavlos And Marie Chantal Were In Leonor´s Baptised. I Didn´t See Any Photos Of Them. I Watched On Tv That Marie Chantal Was Very Beatiful. She Wore A Brown Suit.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

found this cute one...

Princess Alexandra of Denmark and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece exchange their mobile phone numbers after the baptism of Danish Prince Christian in the Christiansborg palace in Copenhagen, Denmark, 21 January 2006.

(from dpa)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
found this cute one...

Princess Alexandra of Denmark and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece exchange their mobile phone numbers after the baptism of Danish Prince Christian in the Christiansborg palace in Copenhagen, Denmark, 21 January 2006.

(from dpa)
That's a great picture!

Nice to see HH attending family events!:)
Old 01-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

That's a really great finding, purple! Thanks for posting it!

It shows that Alexandra and Marie Chantal are women just like you an me..:)
Old 01-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Courtier

hehe...nice to see the sort of HP brand they use too!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

hey Eliza.. i'm kinda wondering what brand is the cellphone.
i think Alexandra use the candybar style, while Marie-Chantal uses the clamshell style.
but i don't know what brand..
Old 01-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

Marie Chantal´s phone

I read in a Telva magazine (Spain) that she´s got a Sony Ericsson mobile phone.
Somebody Know which label is MC´s bag (Denmark Christening)
Old 01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
hey Eliza.. i'm kinda wondering what brand is the cellphone.
i think Alexandra use the candybar style, while Marie-Chantal uses the clamshell style.
but i don't know what brand..
Hi Purple_Platinum, I'm pretty sure by the look of the phone that Alexandra uses Nokia, whereas Marie-Chantal uses either Sony-Ericsson or Samsung cos the shape of the design is similar to those brands.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Nobility

Does anyone think the MC might be pregnant again.After viewing some of the pictures from the christening in Copenhagen it might be a possibility although it would be quite soon after her last one.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Aristocracy

From the photos in Copenhagen she does look pregnant. They stated that they did want four or five children during one of their engagement interviews.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloma
From the photos in Copenhagen she does look pregnant. They stated that they did want four or five children during one of their engagement interviews.
Yes, she has look pregnant!!!!!

Closed Thread