Eloise, Claus-Casimir and Leonore, News and Pictures Part 1: July 2003 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eloise has reacted to the articles via her Instagram Stories, saying she felt uncomfortable being photographed that way and questioning whether photos like these were newsworthy at all. "I want to enjoy my (student) life and hopefully you understand this":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Eloise has reacted to the articles via her Instagram Stories, saying she felt uncomfortable being photographed that way and questioning whether photos like these were newsworthy at all. "I want to enjoy my (student) life and hopefully you understand this":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It is really unfortunate that the photographers were intruding on her private life, but could her reaction have been prompted by negative reaction, maybe from her own family, to the content of the article?

As Marengo said, in addition to the pictures showing Eloise smoking, the article mentioned boys and buying wine (which are private issues) and a garden party that violated social distancing guidelines (which , unlike the former, is of public concern).

Last edited:
Perhaps the Countess could attract less attention ,party in her garden and noise complaints from neighbours?

The only thing that's particularly note worthy to me is that she and her friends may have violated government guidelines about the number of people in a house and possibly not social distancing in the garden and a late party isn't very considerate for your neighbours either. IF that's true they should be criticised for that as anyone should be.

Other that that, I don't think wine or boys are necessarily a problem your first few weeks at uni. I don't like smoking at all but it's legal.

Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien have reacted to the photos. They said that 'First of all Eloise is a private person with a right to privacy'. They added: 'it is very clear that the photos have been taken in a private context and in our view it contains no news value and does not add to a public debate'.

https://www.nu.nl/achterklap/607347...-fotos-rokende-eloise.html#coral_talk_wrapper

Earlier this year Queen Beatrix said that none of her grand children were smokers. Judging form her words on Instagram stories, it seems that Eloise does not smoke regularly and that she could benefit from using a spell check...

Interesting to see the difference in reactions. On Instagram and twitter people mainly comment that the press should leave the countess alone. Reactions on more anonymous news websites seem more negative, with many conspiracy nutters commenting too. Despite these reactions I have not seen one comment about Eloise not following the social distancing guidelines. They have only been changed a few hours before the alleged party. And of course in Amsterdam few (young) people are sticking to the guidelines at all.

I suppose it is a good test case for the gossip magazines. To see how far they can push it / can get away with. When the 3A's are of university age the pictures will be more profitable for them.

Although there is no news value in the photos I find the outrage of Eloise and her parents a bit naive. She has been seeking publicity and now has 150.000 followers. When you seek attention you should not be shocked when you get it.

Perhaps the Countess could attract less attention, party in her garden and noise complaints from neighbours?

These gardens in Amsterdam tend to be in an inner court at the back sides of the houses. The sounds go up the walls and 10 people having a nice evening together -even when using a normal tone of voice- can already be a nightmare for neighbors who want to sleep. Note that these gardens tend to be small.

Last edited:
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien have reacted to the photos. They said that 'First of all Eloise is a private person with a right to privacy'. They added: 'it is very clear that the photos have been taken in a private context and in our view it contains no news value and does not add to a public debate'.

https://www.nu.nl/achterklap/607347...-fotos-rokende-eloise.html#coral_talk_wrapper

Earlier this year Queen Beatrix said that none of her grand children were smokers. Judging form her Instagram stories it seems that she does not smoke regularly and that she could benefit from using a spell check...

Interesting to see the difference in reactions. On Instagram and twitter people mainly comment that the press should leave the countess alone. Reactions on more anonymous news websites seem more negative, with many conspiracy nutters commenting too. Despite these reactions I have not seen one comment about Eloise not following the social distancing guidelines. They have only been changed a few hours before the alleged party. And of course in Amsterdam few (young) people are sticking to the guidelines at all.

I suppose it is a good test case for the gossip magazines. To see how far they can push it / can get away with. When the 3A's are of university age the pictures will be more profitable for them.

Perhaps the Royal House will come to an agreement with the press to protect the privacy of the 3A's while they are in university. It may seem far-fetched, but it was done for Prince William in a tabloid-crazy country like the UK, so it is possible.

Eloise, of course, is not a member of the Royal House, so, even though her pictures may sell less, she may be an easier target.

Last edited:
Regardless of how we feel about smoking or alcohol Eloise is a private citizen and should be treated as such. It is nobodies business what she gets up to at university.
However it is silly when you or your parents have a profile in the media to break Covid rules and have a party.

Earlier this year Queen Beatrix said that none of her grand children were smokers. Judging form her words on Instagram stories, it seems that Eloise does not smoke regularly and that she could benefit from using a spell check...

Although there is no news value in the photos I find the outrage of Eloise and her parents a bit naive. She has been seeking publicity and now has 150.000 followers. When you seek attention you should not be shocked when you get it.

These gardens in Amsterdam tend to be in an inner court at the back sides of the houses. The sounds go up the walls and 10 people having a nice evening together -even when using a normal tone of voice- can already be a nightmare for neighbors who want to sleep. Note that these gardens tend to be small.

Thank you for the information about the gardens.

With regards to the Instagram followers it's a bit of an interesting conversation. She is definitely seeking publicity and wants to be an influencer and that attracts attention from the press because of who she is WRT her family. And there are inevitably going to be downsides to that.

OTOH I know a couple of people who have 100,000 followers on Instagram and the same subscribers on Youtube and they don't get paparazzi taking photos of private events because of it so it's not the same. They do have to deal with some very nasty (and often anonymous) people online and doxing (people finding out private information for threatening purposes) though.

The press might well have decided to see what they could get away with regardless of her social media profiles.

I think I've read on this thread that Eloise had mentioned on Instagram that she would be living in student housing, as is apparently customary for the 1st year of her program. I'm not sure what it means for student housing if people are not allowed to have more than 6 people over to their house, since there are presumably already more than 6 students in the house and if they want to get together for a party, I suppose it's about what the school does and doesn't allow them to do.

Again, if she's living in student housing, I'm a bit surprised that the neighbours are complaining because this probably wasn't the first student party in the garden there... I don't see an issue with inviting boys to her party or drinking some wine at 18.

Interesting that Beatrix has said none of her grandchildren are smokers. If your grandmother thinks you do not smoke and then she sees a picture of you smoking in the paper... oh dear ;) Eloise might not be a regular smoker though - being photographed with a cigarette during her first few days of college doesn't mean that much. Hopefully Eloise is not a regular smoker, as it's really unhealthy but she's young and still has got time to learn about these things.

I agree that it's naive for her parents to think that she could curate a large Instagram audience, post about her life and then be left alone by the media when it's convenient. I don't think it's strange for Eloise to think that, she's only 18 and starting out in the world.
I do believe that up to now she has been very much protected and now that she's an adult, a student, living in Amsterdam, meeting new people and sharing things on Instagram, she'll have a few things to figure out and see how she will keep a balance between Instagram and wanting to be private.

Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.
The Countess through her social media account and tv interview clearly wants public attention and the spotlight.
However, like most people she wants it on HER terms.

Smoking is terrible. It is a shame that she has started.
Poor Granma Beatrix- naive to think that none of her grandchildren smoke when we have photographic evidence that at least 2 do!

And who more smoked?
From her grandchildren - AFAIK - only Eloise is of age.

Well, as Princess Beatrix smoked herself for most of her life (don't know if she still does), she is hardly in a position to complain.

Regardless of how we feel about smoking or alcohol Eloise is a private citizen and should be treated as such. It is nobodies business what she gets up to at university.
However it is silly when you or your parents have a profile in the media to break Covid rules and have a party.

The specific COVID rule (a ban on gatherings) was issued shortly before the already planned grouping of freshmen. Note that Eloïse shares a house with fellow students. This "bubble" is exempted from the COVID rule as they live together in one household. Note that no action was taken towards the group. These months sees the introduction weeks at all universities. Young adolescents make their first step into an unknown world and usually it is quite in a partying and festive mood with youngsters discovering the pleasures of drinking and smoking without supervision.

Any university city knows this introduction period and I doubt any Amsterdamer rang the police for this.

Last edited:
Well, as Princess Beatrix smoked herself for most of her life (don't know if she still does), she is hardly in a position to complain.

She did not complain.

I noticed the spelling errors as well.

t didn't look like her first cigarette either...

Yes, I agree. Eloise's choice to actively engage with her followers on Instagram makes her outrage a little less effective as she clearly is searching the limelight herself.

Eloise is said to be 'internally', so I am not sure how and where the Hotelschool houses their students but it was said to be in some kind of 'hotel setting'.

Edit: The Hotelschool itself is NOT in a residential area, so either they house their students elsewhere (which I doubt) or she was attending a gatherin in someone else's backyard.

Last edited:
And who more smoked?
From her grandchildren - AFAIK - only Eloise is of age.

Alexia has been photographed smoking; see the topic of the princesses.

Somebody said:
Eloise is said to be 'internally', so I am not sure how and where the Hotelschool houses their students but it was said to be in some kind of 'hotel setting'.

Edit: The Hotelschool itself is NOT in a residential area, so either they house their students elsewhere (which I doubt) or she was attending a gathering in someone else's backyard.

Thanks for checking! The Hotelschool is at the end of the Jan Evertsenstraat, near the Rembrandtpark. For 2 years I lived very close by during the early years of my study.

Upon your comments I checked the website of the school. Apparently students are indeed living in the school itself (Skotel). The school does not seem to have private gardens for students. So either the article/Weekend magazine was incorrect or Eloise is living somewhere else. I am not sure if the latter is even allowed by school policy.

Judging from this article VICE magazine Eloise can look forward to all kinds of extracurricular events ;):

https://www.vice.com/nl/article/bjv...esten-het-eerste-jaar-op-de-hoge-hotelschool?

Last edited:
In Eloise instagram question round she stated that she would be living internally for the first year (like all students) and will have to start looking for her own student accomodation for the second year and beyond.

I feel bad for her. She opened up a Pandora's box with her Instagram account, turning herself into an Internet celeb, and opening herself up to stories like this. I'm surprised her parents didn't put a stop to it over the summer.

I feel bad for her. She opened up a Pandora's box with her Instagram account, turning herself into an Internet celeb, and opening herself up to stories like this. I'm surprised her parents didn't put a stop to it over the summer.

How can her parents stop it? She is an adult, she is no member of the Royal House, she is a private person with an active social media.

She is in the line of succession (which is a rather short one compared to some other countries) and seems to be a reasonable young woman, so if her parents would ask her to refrain from certain activities in the interest of the royal house and therefore her family, I think should would heed their advice. However, she herself said that her parents have not put any limits on her social media use - and she considers herself smart/responsible enough to go about it in a responsible way (for example, by making her cousins 'off-limits' during Q&A-sessions).

How can her parents stop it? She is an adult, she is no member of the Royal House, she is a private person with an active social media.

They can say, "Knock it off, or we'll withhold your allowance."

:previous:

She lives at the school, which I suppose is for free/ paid for by their parents. Tuition fees are only 2100 Euros a year, which I am sure her parents will pay but if not she could finance that herself if needed. What other big costs does she have at this point that she could not meet with a student loan / side job in a hotel/café/restaurant etc? Big allowances for teenagers/ people in their early 20-ties are still a rarity in The Netherlands, also with families that can afford it. Once in a while it is done by the nouveau riche, but that is an exception. Many consider it healthy if their children learn the value of money. Eloise already worked as a waitress this summer. Sons of Pss Margriet worked in café's when they were a student. It was at this work that Prince Maurits met his wife Marilene, -a daughter of a Minister of Foreign affairs and later EU Commissioner- who also worked there.

As others pointed out: Eloise is an adult. Her parents can not forbid her to use social media and it would be rather unhealthy if parents are in a position to blackmail their adult children to make them bend to their wishes.

Last edited:
Like it or not she's the king's niece and like Doña Victoria Federica de Marichalar in Spain will attract the attention of the media. Are her social media accounts private if not perhaps she might change that.

She apparently still lives at home (except when at school) and vacations with her parents, so she's still under their wing and probably financed by them.

Also, if they feel comfortable telling the professional media how they should or should not cover Eloise, I would think they would be equally comfortable telling their daughter how to conduct her social media.

(And, if her parents viewed her has an independent adult, they wouldn't be issuing statements about how the media should treat her.)

She lives at the school, which I suppose is for free/ paid for by their parents. Tuition fees are only 2100 Euros a year, which I am sure her parents will pay but if not she could finance that herself if needed. What other big costs does she have at this point that she could not meet with a student loan / side job in a hotel/café/restaurant etc? Big allowances for teenagers/ people in their early 20-ties are still a rarity in The Netherlands, also with families that can afford it. Once in a while it is done by the nouveau riche, but that is an exception. Many consider it healthy if their children learn the value of money. Eloise already worked as a waitress this summer. Sons of Pss Margriet worked in café's when they were a student. It was at this work that Prince Maurits met his wife Marilene, -a daughter of a Minister of Foreign affairs and later EU Commissioner- who also worked there.

As others pointed out: Eloise is an adult. Her parents can not forbid her to use social media and it would be rather unhealthy if parents are in a position to blackmail their adult children to make them bend to their wishes.

:previous: Eloise lives at school. Its part of the program she is in, that first years live in the 'hotel'. They get hands on training for their program in doing so. So at least during the school year she is no longer living at home.

Maybe they feel no need to interfere. No matter how close she is to the throne, she is a private citizen. The Dutch have been very good about setting the boundaries between the heir and those further from the throne. Even Amalia's sisters will have at least semi private lives when they grow up. Their cousins are even further from having a public role. This isn't the 1800s when you had to risk war and illness would wipe out half the family and you'd need to rely on the fifth or so in line to inherit one day. Even Alexia has very little chance.

I don't know if I should laugh or role my eyes at the 'she is trying to be celebrity' by having social media ?

Like 85% of college students have social media. Other then the cigarette there is nothing shocking or scandalous on her media accounts. Even for a college student its pretty tame.

As long as she is respectful to the royal family/royal house and as long as she doesn’t air out family dirty laundry in public and take shots at other members she should be alright. The Dutch has been excellent at keeping their royal house and royal family in order. Everyone knows their place and their role.

She apparently still lives at home (except when at school) and vacations with her parents, so she's still under their wing and probably financed by them.

Also, if they feel comfortable telling the professional media how they should or should not cover Eloise, I would think they would be equally comfortable telling their daughter how to conduct her social media.

(And, if her parents viewed her has an independent adult, they wouldn't be issuing statements about how the media should treat her.)

I think that she would say that she just moved out last week ('to go rooming' is probably the closest translation to the Dutch expression 'op kamers gaan') but she will surely still return home many weekends and seems to have a good relationship with them (and her parents are also expected to finance part of her studies/life according to the Dutch government as she will receive the general student loan but won't be eligible for additional student financing/grant that children of less affluent parents would get).

Her parents did not tell the professional media "how they should or should not cover". Her parents only reminded: "In the first place Eloïse is a private person with rights on privacy". Note that the parents were not speaking about social media but about a commercial weekly gossip magazine picturing a private girl with a cigarette "clearly taken in the private lifesphere, which has -in our opinion- no news value and is no contribution to public debate" (these three elements are not coincidentally the exact framework of the European Convention on Human Rights). That is all.

According the ECHR and jurisprudence the private lives of individuals who do not fulfil public functions are protected more strictly than the private lives of public figures. Public interest about a certain person or issue does not mean that a person’s private life is not protected. This is also true for public figures!

Eloïse gravin van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg is the eldest grandchild of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus and the first of her generation to find her path into an independent life. She is the new testcase for the boulevard press to see how far they go.

My calculation is that by having an active social media, she shoots under the pigeons of the media because the argument "the public wants to see pictures" is weak when the generous fount of pictures is the highborn lady herself.

I've looked up the details: the tuition fee for the Hotelschool is higher than for other schools: 3500 EUR (for those from the European Economic Area; it is higher for those from outside of Europe) and 6860 EUR for living at Skotel (including breakfast and one other meal); in addition the uniform they need costs an additional 675 EUR (at least). Moreover, they are recommended to bring a laptop and some study materials need to be purchased as well.

So, I don't think Eloise will be able to pay for all of that herself - nor is she expected to. I do indeed expect her parents to meet her basic costs (tuition, Skotel etc). Whether they are also willing to take care of any additional costs probably depends on whether it is feasible to take on a student job next to the requirements of the school (which already included working in the school's hotel and restaurant)...

So, if anyone would like to potentially be served by or have their room cleaned by a member of the Dutch royal family: visit Amsterdam and stay at Skotel :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom