Guillaume and Stéphanie: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be religious ceremony. Luxembour is Catholic country and Lux royals are devout Catholics. Although civil ceremony is more important in law for people more important is religious one. Only question is how they'll plan them - in the same day one after another (like M-T and Henri), in the same day but with bigger pause (for changing the clothes like Louis and Tessy) or at the different days (like most royal weddings in Netherlands).

Thank you for clarifying about Henri and Maria Teresa's ceremonies as well as the law in Luxembourg. For some reason I thought that their civil and the religious ceremony were a few days apart. Perhaps it was the different dresses the bride wore, whereas Maxima wore her wedding gown to their civil and religious wedding ceremony.

Maria Teresa actually wore the same gown for both Ceremoniues as the religious one started only 1 hour or so after the End of the civil Ceremony.
Tessy wore a different gown for the civil Ceremony which was in the morning and the religious one in the afternoon.

Maria Teresa actually wore the same gown for both Ceremoniues as the religious one started only 1 hour or so after the End of the civil Ceremony.
Tessy wore a different gown for the civil Ceremony which was in the morning and the religious one in the afternoon.
Oh dear! I must have really muddled things up! Thank you for bearing with me. I must be thinking of the announcement of the engagement of Henri and Maria Teresa, then.

So, I suppose Guillaume and Stephanie might have both ceremonies on the same day, also. It would certainly be easier in terms of guests and also 'sealing' the marriage both civilly and religiously (especially if they are devout as another poster mentioned).

Now, for my next question: Are there are any traditional pre-wedding events for the Luxe royals, like a gala the evening before the wedding?

Several beautiful dresses.
:)

Is it required that the civil ceremony be first?
Couldn't they have the religious ceremony, and then go back to the palace and have the civil one?

In most countries, that have the civil requirement, I believe the civil ceremony is the only legal wedding and it is required to precede any religious service and usually the priest will verify that you have been civilly married before proceeding.

It seems like it would be easier if the civil ceremony was done first, followed by the religious ceremony shortly thereafter. Can the civil ceremony be performed in the church?

In most countries, that have the civil requirement, I believe the civil ceremony is the only legal wedding and it is required to precede any religious service and usually the priest will verify that you have been civilly married before proceeding.

Yes, the civil ceremony must come first. During World War 2, while a prisoner of the Germans, King Leopold III secretly married Lilian Baels in a religious ceremony.

However that marriage had no validity as the law required a religious marriage to be preceded by a legal or civil marriage. The couple later married in a civil ceremony.

It seems like it would be easier if the civil ceremony was done first, followed by the religious ceremony shortly thereafter. Can the civil ceremony be performed in the church?

In Ireland, if you are having a Roman Catholic wedding, you have the religious ceremony, then after the ceremony you go into a room (the sacristy) and sign the marriage register. The priest then sends off your marriage details to the relevant authority. You are then sent your legal marriage certificate from this authority. You also get a church marriage certificate from the priest.

Can the civil ceremony be performed in the church?
No, the religious cermony must be held separately from the legal civil cermony in most European countries. The only countries in Europe where the religious and civil cermonies can be held at the same time seems to be the United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway and Spain, as the officiant of the religious cermony also have the right to perform the civil cermony too. As for Sweden, there are no requirement to have any kind of civil cermony/registration, as a priest/minister/imam/rabbi etc have the same right to perform a legal wedding as any person who have got the permission to perform a civil wedding cermony by the state.

Last edited:
In Ireland, if you are having a Roman Catholic wedding, you have the religious ceremony, then after the ceremony you go into a room (the sacristy) and sign the marriage register. The priest then sends off your marriage details to the relevant authority. You are then sent your legal marriage certificate from this authority. You also get a church marriage certificate from the priest.

Yes. That is true in Ireland, as well as in the UK. The practice is also very similar in the United States, where one can sign the marriage register in the course of the wedding ceremony.

However, in most of continental Europe one must have a civil ceremony first, before the religious one can proceed. The religious marriage alone has no legal validity; furthermore, I believe that in some countries it may even be illegal for a religious ceremony to take place if a civil ceremony hasn't already occurred.

I suppose its too early to ask if it will be televised and if it will be streamed online?

A couple of days ago I wrote to the royalty-department of the German TV-station NDR (one part of the ARD - aka "Das Erste"), if they would broadcast the wedding at the TV. Now I got an answer. They won't broadcast because the Luxemburg Grandducal Family is not belonging to their "area of reporting".

A couple of days ago I wrote to the royalty-department of the German TV-station NDR (one part of the ARD - aka "Das Erste"), if they would broadcast the wedding at the TV. Now I got an answer. They won't broadcast because the Luxemburg Grandducal Family is not belonging to their "area of reporting".

Now that´s disappointing, but I hope at least we can watch it online. :ermm:

How interesting. Is their much interest/awareness about the Grand Ducal House in Germany or are people only fascinated by the UK and the broadcasts of that?

Hmmm....I wish you had asked them if they covered the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Because I am almost certain that they did, and I'd love to know what qualifies as their "area of reporting". :bang:

No matter. I will be watching this wedding even if I have to see it online. :cool:

ZDF broadcasted both the royal wedding in Sweden and in the UK. BBR even covered the wedding of Prince of Prussia, although he is "a private person".
I'm sure there will be some form of coverage. Luxembourg may not be that relevant in other parts of Germany, but SR frequently reports about Luxembourg. They even have a programme that is just dedicated to Luxembourg.

Hmmm....I wish you had asked them if they covered the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Because I am almost certain that they did, and I'd love to know what qualifies as their "area of reporting". :bang:

:cool:

I think they count as their Areas the Royal Houses in Europe but obviously they also include Monaco in this group.

Any French canal will broadcast this wedding?

I think we don't get to see enough of the couple ! Do other people think like me ?

I think we don't get to see enough of the couple ! Do other people think like me ?

I do! The fact that they are rather low key and mysterious makes them even more interesting to me. ;)

Yes, I feel the same way. I love to see more about them. I love to hear more about Stephanie. Did she have any boyfriends before she met Guillaume? What does she think about being the future Grand Duchess, how about her numerous brothers and sisters? There are so many questions, etc.. It's odd that the press isn't delving more into her life, or if they are, its mostly in Belgium and Luxembourg and it isn't reaching the outside.

Hum I can't wait...big celebrations two days running, I'm glad !

I read somewhere that Kate and William might attend, but cant remember where, just wondering if there was any truth to this:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom