Victoria's Future Title?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rop81

Courtier
City
Middle of nowhere
Country
Sweden
What do you think? Will Victoria ever access the throne?

I hope so, but i´m not sure at all. The only thing that is stopping the parlament from abolish (hope that word was right..) the monarcy is the fact that it is so popular with the people. But that could change fast, it is enough with some sort of scandals to make the opinion change.

Say what you think and hope for.

I really hope that i will se Victoria beacoming Queen Victoria II

I believe in a Queen Victoria!!...even if she would produce some scandals, what I don´t think. Victoria is far to canny for that. And what I´ve noticed in recent years is, that she´s one of the few Royals, who is really honest and open to the people (I don´t say that other Royals are liars, but I think they just don´t talk that open about their feelings). Another thing is, that I don´t believe that scandals damage a monarchy as one could think in the first moment. Every family has it´s scandals and so it´s quite interesting to find persons for empathy in Royal houses. Another point is the boredom-factor. Just imagine how much boring seconds you would sum up, if the people all over the world wouldn´t have talked about Camilla and Charles!
I think it´s just important that Royals find a balance between scandalous life and serious work in ordinary of the people (e.g princess Madeleine-the scandalous factor in the swedish RF :p .)

...and I think she would be Victoria I !! Because her great-great-grandmother Viktoria of Baden was "just" the wife of a king but not a sovereign. And of course Victoria can not be linked to the british Queen Victoria, even if the are in a way relatives.

Correct, her title will be: HM Queen Victoria of Sweden.

Hi Rop & Lena,

personally, I don't think that the royal families popularity is so superficial that the masses would demand a republic at the first hint of a scandal. The royal family has worked really hard to get to where it is since the 1970s and I think that people realize what a valuable asset they are to the country. There is also a huge cultural difference between the British and Swedes. What may make waves in the British tabloids may not even create a ripple in Sweden. Additionally, I would think that the Swedish royals have learned what kind of behaviour to avoid from the experieinces of their British cousins. Finally, with the EU, continentalism and closer European economic integration, I think the Swedes might want to retain their royal family in order to remain distinctive.

Thus, in my humble opinion, I think the Swedish monarchy will be around for a while yet.

ps. Lena, I love your avtar! I had a bunny for the 7 years, but she just past away a couple of months ago. I really, really miss her!

Sean.~

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jun 17th, 2003 - 1:41 pm

ps. Lena, I love your avtar! I had a bunny for the 7 years, but she just past away a couple of months ago. I really, really miss her!

Hi Sean
This is very sad. I can feel with you, because I had also 2 bunnies. One was called Fiver and the other one Frederik ( ;) ) The first died because she was quite old, the second one was killed of a marten.
And I agree, Swedes are far more liberal in view of their Royal house and even more, they deal with them in a far more respectful way.

I belive in a future Queen Victoria of Sweden.... and i hope it will be quite soon... ;) I mean, the King is a modern King and I think it would be really cool if he "retired" when he´s 65 yeras old (just like the rest of us here in Sweden)....

(But to be honest I don´t think he will do it) / Sulan

I think she will be Queen Victoria
she will not be called Queen Victoria I becouse she is the first and then one don´t need to give her a number.

I think she will have a family when she succed her father.

She was once asked how she feels about one day becomming a Queen.
She replyed
That will be a very sad day for me, becosue that means that I have lost my father.

I have heard that her role model was and is Queen Ingrid of Denmark and I think she is close to Queen Margrethe

Just think, she will be the only ruling Queen in Europe, at that time !!!!
(Quite the opposite from now, with 3 queens.)

I admire her, she seems to have gained a lot of poise since her thin period of way back when. :rolleyes:

And I hope that some the humour she shows is passed on to her country folk :wacko:

Victoria not Queen? I could not imagine her not becoming Queen. You bet she will. I dont see parliment suddenly changing their minds 23 years later. You will see a Victoria II assess the throne in Sweden one day... You bet your dollar on it... :)

I think and hope that Victoria will be Queen Victoria one day. The Republicans are still a minorty in Sweden and it's not very likely that their supporters will take advantage any time soon. The king holds a strong position as the Swedsih head of State, and one day Victoria will to.

Hélène  Posted: Oct 1st, 2003 - 3:22 pm

I think and hope that Victoria will be Queen Victoria one day. The Republicans are still a minorty in Sweden and it's not very likely that their supporters will take advantage any time soon. The king holds a strong position as the Swedsih head of State, and one day Victoria will to.

I heard the RF has themselves firmly established as "Ambassadors of Sweden", and I can't help but think that Victoria will be adding to that legend.

Plus ... there is a certain appeal with heads of states being royal, and I can't really see the same amount of appeal with the Nobel ceremony if Sweden was republican.

Will Victoria be the first queen regent that will become queen even though she got a brother?
I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers,

I think so, I have never heard of a queen that has had a brother. I think it´s quite cool that we have this, it shows that sweden is a modern and equal (bad spelling i know... sorry) nation.

Originally posted by rop81@Dec 27th, 2003 - 4:47 pm
I think so, I have never heard of a queen that has had a brother. I think it´s quite cool that we have this, it shows that sweden is a modern and equal (bad spelling i know... sorry) nation.
Thank you for your reply

I have been wondering for a while

I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers

In the case of Beatrix it doesn't matter if she had a brother. The Dutch rule is that the first born will be king/queen. So if she would have got a younger brother she would still be queen

Originally posted by Robbert@Dec 27th, 2003 - 5:24 pm
I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers

In the case of Beatrix it doesn't matter if she had a brother. The Dutch rule is that the first born will be king/queen. So if she would have got a younger brother she would still be queen
How long has it been this way since Beatrix was born

I have always belived that sweden was the first monarchy that changed the constitution so that the first child, female or male, would inherit the throne. I think i have heard it in several tv shows and articles, is it not so?

Het koningschap gaat over op de wettige nakomelingen van de Koning, waarbij het oudste kind voorrang heeft. Sinds 1983 wordt er geen onderscheid meer gemaakt tusssen zonen en dochters.

You're right, the succesion law was changed in 1983, and from that moment it didn't matter wether the firstborn child was male or female. But since 1890 The Netherlands had queens, so it was not the case that if the king didn't had any sons the trone would go to an other male royal family member.

But Victoria will be the first to be queen even though she has a brother...?

Yes, the swedish constitution got changed, and it didn't matter if the next kid (C-P) was a boy. It wasn't so great for him, as he'd been a crown prince for almost a year at that point.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Dec 27th, 2003 - 9:07 pm
Yes, the swedish constitution got changed, and it didn't matter if the next kid (C-P) was a boy. It wasn't so great for him, as he'd been a crown prince for almost a year at that point.
who did you replay to?

"It wasn't so great for him, as he'd been a crown prince for almost a year at that point"

Yes, you can imagine the excitement on his face when he was told.

Oops, sorry Josefine, I misread your post, and attempted in my own odd fashion to explain the succession thing (I didn't do it very well anyway). Very sorry about that!

Dennism, it may not have made an impact on him then, but later he may have had some resentment that he was essentially downgraded for his sister. Then again, he may be extremely happy he doesn't have to be king. And likely won't, as I don't see Victoria saying, "I don't want this".

You're right, Fireweaver and I imagine that is at the heart of the King's disapproval of the whole situation. At the beginning he figured that Carl Philip would probably resent his sister being the future regent but now he has no excuse because Victoria is blooming into the role quite nicely. Carl Philip is probably thrilled to be without all of the responsibilties and everything that would be waiting for him.

when Victoria becomes queen can she change things at court
as introducibg court dresses for the royal ladies again

Josefine said:
when Victoria becomes queen can she change things at court
as introducibg court dresses for the royal ladies again
She can change as much as she wants too. When Carl Gustaf became monarch, he changed a lot, and he has continued to modernise the Royal Court through the years.

There are already Court Robes/Dresses. If you're thinking of the old ones, they will hardly return as it was a part of the modernisation. Of course they can always introduce a new version, but the grandness of the old times will never (unfortunately) return.

but i think the "new" court dresses looke to much 80's i love the old once

Back
Top Bottom