The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will it be?
Boy 48 50.00%
Girl 40 41.67%
Twins: Boy & Girl 4 4.17%
Twins: Two Boys 3 3.13%
Twins: Two Girls 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
But George I would never have been King either. George I came to the throne through not 1 but 2 females. He got his claim to the British throne by being a great-grandson of James I. But through James' daughter Elizabeth who was the mother of George's mother Sophia. And the Stewarts came to the throne through not 1 but 2 females as well (Mary queen of Scots and her paternal grandmother who was a sister of Henry VIII). After Edward VII died, the throne would never have passed to either sister or his father's sisters and their lines. But then again Henry VII got his claim through his mother, and it was strengthened by his wife's claim.

The question here becomes what was the purpose of the original question? Was it who is the proper heir/monarch under Salic law, or who is the proper head of the current house under Salic law?

Determining the proper monarch under Salic law for Britain and the Netherlands is pretty impossible, and pointless given as neither country ever had Salic law. It's also a challenge with Denmark because of how many people are excluded due to marriage or being foreign monarchs.

Determining who is the proper head of the current house under Salic law is easier for Britain, as it's the Duke of Gloucester (The DoE and his male line descendants belong to the House of Mountbatten-Windsor, itself a cadet branch of the House of Glücksburg). But it's still rather challenging to establish for the Netherlands and Denmark.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The question here becomes what was the purpose of the original question? Was it who is the proper heir/monarch under Salic law, or who is the proper head of the current house under Salic law?

Determining the proper monarch under Salic law for Britain and the Netherlands is pretty impossible, and pointless given as neither country ever had Salic law. It's also a challenge with Denmark because of how many people are excluded due to marriage or being foreign monarchs.

Determining who is the proper head of the current house under Salic law is easier for Britain, as it's the Duke of Gloucester (The DoE and his male line descendants belong to the House of Mountbatten-Windsor, itself a cadet branch of the House of Glücksburg). But it's still rather challenging to establish for the Netherlands and Denmark.
The point is if you are going to determine 'the proper monarch' based on a law that never existed,why does it stop with this monarch??? If Elizabeth is not the 'proper' monarch, why was Victoria? Why was George I? Why was James I? As you pointed out, England has never followed Salic law, and the proper monarch is who is on the throne, Elizabeth. And with the new laws that have been made with absolute, if George has a daughter first, then we will one day have our first female heir apparent to the throne.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But how would the Duke of Gloucester? He comes to the throne through Victoria? Victoria comes to the throne from George I who inherited it via his grandmother and mother?

It's impossible to determine the "rightful" British monarch without allowing for female lines. England and Scotland both allowed for inheritance through female lines.

- the current monarch is the Queen
- the current house of Windsor takes its claim from being the senior descendants of Queen Victoria
- Queen Victoria takes her claim from being the senior descendant of Sophia of the Palatinate
- Sophia herself took her claim through her mother, Elizabeth of Scotland, who was the daughter of James VI and I
- James VI and I got his throne through his mother, Mary, Queen of Scots
- James' claim to the English throne comes through his great-grandmother, Margaret Tudor

Splitting it up here... In England,
- Henry VII got his claim through his mother, and reinforced it through his marriage
- Edward IV got his claim through not 1 but 2 women - his paternal grandmother, Anne de Mortimer, and her paternal grandmother, Philippa, Countess of Ulster, who was the daughter of the second son of Edward III
- Henry II got his claim through his mother
- Stephen of Blois also got his claim through his mother (and military might)
You would have to literally go back to the Norman Conquest to find an English monarch that doesn't descend through female lines

For Scotland...
- Robert II got his claim through his mother
- Robert I's claim came through Isabella of Huntingdon
- John Balliol's claim came through 2 women (Dervorguilla of Galloway and Margaret of Huntingdon)
- literally every other claimant during Scottish succession crisis came through at least 1 woman (notably Edward I claiming through two female ancestors, and Eric I claiming through marriage)
- the succession crisis itself was caused when Margaret, Maid of Norway (who claimed the throne through her mother) died
Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The point is if you are going to determine 'the proper monarch' based on a law that never existed,why does it stop with this monarch??? If Elizabeth is not the 'proper' monarch, why was Victoria? Why was George I? Why was James I? As you pointed out, England has never followed Salic law, and the proper monarch is who is on the throne, Elizabeth. And with the new laws that have been made with absolute, if George has a daughter first, then we will one day have our first female heir apparent to the throne.

Oh, I agree. This to me is just fun (and completely off topic) speculation.

There is a difference though in the Monarch and the Head of the House - or their can be.

Victoria was of the House of Hanover and the Monarch, but she was never the Head of the House - her uncle, the King of Hanover was. Likewise QEII is of the House of Windsor, but technically the Duke of Gloucester is the Head. The Queen's children are (technically) of a different House - call it Mountbatten-Windsor to differentiate.

Victoria of Sweden is of the House of Bernadotte, as is her brother. One day she will be Queen of Sweden, but technically Carl Philip will be Head of the House. In turn, Estelle and Oscar are technically of a different house - call it Bernadotte-Westling. One day Estelle will be the Monarch, but Oscar will be the Head, with Estelle's children belonging to a different House.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

And all this because of one remark that if P.Carl-Philip has a son, he will be the next in the "agnatic" Bernadotte line (meaning descending through the male line)
Which indeed a male child will be, there's no question about it

This ofcourse is separate from the line of succession....
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

Will one of Victoria's godchildren, become godmother to Oscar? For example Amalia of the NL, she's still young but old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
Will one of Victoria's godchildren, become godmother to Oscar? For example Amalia of the NL, she's still young but old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I would be really surprised if Victoria and Daniel would choose such a young child as a godmother.
Of Victoria's godchildren Giulia and Vivien Sommerlath are about 20-21 years old, Constantine Alexios and Madeleine von Dincklage are 17.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Royals tend to choose adult godparents. If they do go the teen route, I would think older teens. Hedvig might be a choice for her Uncle if they decide to go younger, she is 16.

If Victoria wants to go godchild route, she does have some adult/late teen ones.

Vivian and Giulia Sommerlath: They were 14/15 at the wedding putting them in the 19-22 age range (depending on if they had their birthdays yet at the time of the wedding). Might be a choice instead of using one of their dads.

If she wanted a royal godchild to be godparent, her eldest is Constantine Alexios who will be 18 in October.

Madeleine Von Dinklage, one of her Bernadotte cousin godchildren is 17.

The rest of her godchildren are 14 and under.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

If Amalia was not confirmed yet, she cannot be a godmother.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
If Amalia was not confirmed yet, she cannot be a godmother.
At the Church of Sweden a person doesn't have to be confirmed to be a godparent. All who are baptized are allowed to be a godparent. The person shall have been baptized in the Swedish Church or any other Christian church or denomination. To be counted as a Christian baptism it has to have been taken place in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and with clean water.
Att vara fadder - Svenska kyrkan - Dopsajten
Old 04-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I would be really surprised if Victoria and Daniel would choose such a young child as a godmother.
Of Victoria's godchildren Giulia and Vivien Sommerlath are about 20-21 years old, Constantine Alexios and Madeleine von Dincklage are 17.
Prince William was just 16 when he was the Godfather to Constantinos Alexios, so it's not entirely unheard of. But 12 is rather young.

I think out of her godchildren, a Sommerlath is more likely than the others, for a Godparent.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Prince Amedeo of Belgium was 15 when he became a godfather to Princess Elisabeth (as another example of young royal godparents).

I don't think Victoria would choose a royal godparent from her godchildren as they are too young, as other posters have already mentioned. However, it's possible that she could choose one of her older non-royal godchildren, but I still think she'll choose adult godparents.

I apologise if this has already been asked, but have younger godparents been chosen in the SRF before?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

No the SRF tends to go the more traditional route, age wise. Estelle's youngest was CP. Leonore and Nicholas' would have been CP or the friends Maddie chose (Chris' sisters and brother in laws are older than him and Gustaf and Patrick were both 40 when chosen so older than CP).

at the time of their baptism

Victoria's:
King Harald was 40
Queen Bea was 39
Princess Desiree was 39
Uncle Ralph was 49

Madeleine's
Andrea of Sax-Coburg and Gotha was 39
Princess Benedikte was 38
Princess Christina was 39
Uncle Walter was 48

CP's
Beril was 67
Leopold of Bavaria was 36
Margrethe was 39
Birgitta was 42

CG (his were older including his great-grandfather, grandfather, step gran)

his aunt and uncle King Frederick and Queen Ingrid (crown couple at the time) who were 47 and 36 at the time
Olav V was 43
Queen Juliana was 37
Gustaf V (great-grandfather) was 88
His paternal grandparents (at the time crown couple of Sweden) Gustaf Adolph who was 64 and Louise (stepgrandmother) was 57
Folke was 51
Maria Bernadotte was 57
Old 04-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Oscar will be christened five days after Estelle was christened (May 22, 2012), same location too. I guess this ends speculations that there will be a shared christening with Oscar and CP & Sofia's child. Now the question is how grand with this christening be? Will Oscar get the same cradle as Leonore and Nicolas? (I know he won't has the same as Estelle.) And will there be a royal godparent outside the family? (Betting on Madeleine to be the family royal godparent.)
I am hoping for at least one royal godparent outside the family. My personal preference would be Queen Mathilde of the Belgians, who is already a godmother to Princess Alexia of the Netherlands and Princess Isabella of Denmark. More likely though, it will be a fellow Scandinavian royal.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suspect either Crown Prince Frederik or Crown Princess Mette-Marit will be godparents along with Princess Madeleine and friends of the couple.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I would suspect at least 1 perhaps 2 foreign royals. I don't see Fred or MM, as Haakon and Mary were used. I could see Mathilde as one of them. Oscar is the spare to the throne, so I don't see them going the Maddie route and not having any foreign royals.

Bit surprised it is in May, but not surprised no double christening. I didn't really think there was any way it would be.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps a Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg aand Gotha could be one of the godfathers. Victoria is godmother top his daughter Katharina and the Families seem to be on friendly terms.
Otherwise i think Princess Madeleine, someone from Daniel's Familiy perhaps his brother-in-law or a cousin. Don't think there will be more then 5 godparents like for Princess Estelle although Nicolas and Leonore have more godparents each.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Even with Leo/Nico having six, I don't see Oscar having more than Estelle. I could see something like:

Princess Madeleine
Michael Soderstorm (Daniel's BIL) or Hedvig if they went a younger route
Queen Mathilde/Philippe (Vic is to Eleanore)
male friend of Daniel's
either another foreign royal like Prince Hubertus or Pavlos, or cousin of Vic
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I like Stefan's idea of Prince Hubertus, I think it's a lovely idea when godparents of one child choose that child's mother/father to be the godparent to their child.

Quote:
No the SRF tends to go the more traditional route, age wise. Estelle's youngest was CP. Leonore and Nicholas' would have been CP or the friends Maddie chose (Chris' sisters and brother in laws are older than him and Gustaf and Patrick were both 40 when chosen so older than CP).
Ah okay, thanks for the answer.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

That is always nice. Problem for Victoria is she has earned the title 'godmother of Europe for a reason'. Including non royal godchildren, she currently has 16 godchildren. Even if Daniel didn't get any picks, she would have to have at 4 kids to honor them all (or more than 5 godparents)

Haakon- she is IA's godmother, he is Estelle's
Mary- she is Christian's, Mary is Estelle's
WA- she is CA's godmother, he is Estelle's
CP- we will see but likely will name her godmother to his baby

Royals who have named Victoria but she hasn't used:
Madeleine: sure bet as any
Mathilde/Philipe: she serves for Eleanore
Pavlos/Marie-Chantal: she serves for Constantine Alexios
Hubertus and Kelly: she serves as godmother to Katharina

Family members she hasn't used:
Simone Sommerlath: she is Vivian's godmother
Thomas and Susanne Sommerlath: godmother to Giulia
Baron and Baroness Dinklage: godmother to Madeleine
Patrick and Camilla Sommerlath- godmother to Leopold
Gustaf and Vicky Magnuson- godmother to Desiree
Kristina-Louise Silverchild and her husband- godmother to Ian de Geer

Friends she hasn't used:
Leonie Person: godmother to her son Ian
Andrea Ingsall: godmother to daughter Diana
Caroline Kreuger and husband Jesper- godmother to Isabella

They will likely find a nice mix. But like Estelle I expect at least one godparent to be Dan's, either his brother in law or a friend. Maybe 2.

Closed Thread