The Diamond Jubilee Luncheon and Dinner for the World's Monarchs: May 18, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luncheon and banquet for foreign monarchs - 18 May 2012

Bahrain despot says Yes to the Queen’s Jubilee lunch invitation
The King of Bahrain has given the Queen a political headache by accepting her invitation to attend her Diamond Jubilee lunch at Windsor Castle next month. The decision will anger human rights groups opposed to his bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters. As a matter of royal protocol, the Queen was obliged to invite the king, along with other crowned heads from around the world, to her celebratory lunch on May 18, as revealed by The Mail on Sunday three weeks ago. While some may have hoped the king, Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, would decline the invitation to spare the Queen embarrassment, sources have now confirmed that he has formally accepted.

Hm King Mihai I, HRH Crown Princess Margareta and HRH Prince Radu will be between the 17 and the 18th of May at Windsor Castle and at Buckingham Palce for the Diamond Giubilee of HM Queen Elisabeth II:

Familia Regal

Diamond Jubilee luncheon and banquet for foreign monarchs - 18 May 2012

:japanstandard:

TM Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan will visit HM on occasion of her Diamond Jubilee from may 19th till may 22nd.

Japanese royalty to visit England - UPI.com

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will travel to Britain this month for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee, the Japanese government said Tuesday.

Kyodo News said the royal couple will travel to England May 16 to take part in events celebrating the 60th anniversary of the queen's accession to the throne.

TM Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan will visit HM on occasion of her Diamond Jubilee from may 19th till may 22nd.
Thanks for the information, lucien. :)
Looks like Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee celebrations are going to be truly unforgettable.

William, Catherine, Harry and numerous other royals will attend a dinner at Windsor Castle on May 18th for World Monarchs.

k well that's it looks like it for today. So we have our first ever banquet on the 18th that the Duke and Duchess along with Prince Harry will attend. Royals from around the world will also be attending. k I'm going out for dinner and drinks had a rough day, I'll be back later

For those who missed the article the first time around that I posted it.
Windsor | Areas | Windsor News | WindsorExpress | Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set to attend Windsor Castle banquet

Only thing that I find strange that is it's going to be done at Windsor Castle and not BP. Hope we get pix.

Thanks for the coverage, ghost night, and go out and have a couple of drinks - you deserve them! Something tells me that since this is a banquet lunch, royalty won't be wearing tiaras. They don't normally wear the headgear for daytime events, unless it's for a wedding and the reception afterward.:sad:

Oh wait is it a lunch banquet damn I missed that part lmfao ok wait I change my mind no tiara unless it's a real fancy lunch but ya no no. But again I hope we get pix would love to see them interacting with the foreign royals.

Thnx Baroness I shall go and enjoy, I'll be back at it Thursday night trying to find out times and stuff for Friday's gala.

I do wonder though with the jubilee coming up if they will attend a dinner banquet at some point.

k well that's it looks like it for today. So we have our first ever banquet on the 18th that the Duke and Duchess along with Prince Harry will attend. So ladies are we going to see Catherine wearing a tiara? Royals from around the world will also be attending. k I'm going out for dinner and drinks had a rough day, I'll be back later, I wanna see what everyone thinks. Personally I think she will wear the tiara.
I doubt it will be a tiara event. By the looks of it, the banquet is going to be a black-tie event.
British royals usually (and even then not always) wear tiaras only during white-tie events.

The article notes it's going to be a lunch banquet. I'm guessing no tiaras. :sad:

Ya I missed that small bit when I first read it must be the lack of sleep from last night, was up pretty late working out some kinks in my calendar for this week. Shoot I can't even find a picture of a past royal lunch banquet so I dunno what to expect.

ghost_night554 said:
Ya I missed that small bit when I first read it must be the lack of sleep from last night, was up pretty late working out some kinks in my calendar for this week. Shoot I can't even find a picture of a past royal lunch banquet so I dunno what to expect.

Philip and Anne working the BBQ

On the 18th the Queen is hosting a lunch for the "world royals" at Windsor Castle. But I am sure that I read somewhere (here?) that Prince Charles is hosting a dinner but in London for the same group as well.

Found it!

By KATIE NICHOLL and JONATHAN PETRE
The Queen has risked an international outcry by inviting the King of Bahrain to a Diamond Jubilee banquet despite widespread criticism of his bloody and repressive regime.
The English-educated Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa is on the guest list for a lunch hosted by the Queen in May at Windsor Castle. He is also thought to be among those invited to a champagne dinner given by Prince Charles the same evening at Buckingham Palace.

Don't know if the Cambridges are attending the evening do.

I know that. I was responding to a previous post/discussion in this thread about there only being a lunch

The event itself, the lunch is listed as an engagement for HM and The Duke alone in the future engagements. The dinner hosted by Charles is not mentioned and obviously a private event then.

I think that was a reference to Philip and Anne at the barbeque in the 1969 film "Royal Family." ;) It was a family BBQ at Balmoral.

That was a lunch banquet? BTW it's internet so I can't tell whether or not your were joking :flowers:

Another article from today

I think that was a reference to Philip and Anne at the barbeque in the 1969 film "Royal Family." ;) It was a family BBQ at Balmoral.

yes that was exactly the reference... (I actually was looking for the picture to attach) sorry I was being sarcastic (adding smilies is harder from my ipad) I wanted a tiara event... and instead we are getting lunch. I'm sure it will be nice, but it should be glittering and pretty... hopefully there will be an iconic group photograph of the assembled leaders.

yes that was exactly the reference... (I actually was looking for the picture to attach) sorry I was being sarcastic (adding smilies is harder from my ipad) I wanted a tiara event... and instead we are getting lunch. I'm sure it will be nice, but it should be glittering and pretty... hopefully there will be an iconic group photograph of the assembled leaders.
Hah no worries that's kinda what I figured but was just making sure it wasn't some other pic you were referring to.Totally agree with you a group photo would be amazing.

Confirmed guest list for next week's banquet
Marlene Koenig ‏ @royalmusing @RegalEyes @DanielRosney Already confirmed through their own sites or news: Norway, Sweden, Queen of Spain, Japan
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter
@royalmusing @RegalEyes @DanielRosney Ex-King Constantine of Greece and family are also going with their children.

Yesterday I noticed that it had been tweeted (by Mark Stewart @Regal Eyes)
Next week's Sovereign Lunch is going global with 20+ international sovereigns expected to be in attendance.
and
That takes it one step up from the Golden Jubilee celebrations when the guest list was limited to European sovereigns.

This made me go look and I was also able to find 2002 pictures of the Golden Jubilee lunch and the Golden Jubilee Dinner Party for European Crowned Heads at Windsor Castle. There is a picture (Image 6 of 12) of The Queen with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Queen Sonja and King Harald of Norway and Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Click to view images in the right hand column on this page: The Queen's Golden Jubilee | The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Unfortunately it appears that although the Crowned Heads are wearing evening dress, there doesn't appear to be a tiara in the bunch. (Guess they didn't want to out-bling each other?) Wonder if it will be the same this year?

I fully expect the lunch at Windsor next week to be low key. I think the Queen realises that at a time of hardship for lots of her subjects, the sight of lots of wealthy royals trying to 'out bling' one another at a lavish event at Windsor Castle would simply make them look out of touch. I firmly believe that's why so few British royals go to parties and celebrations on the Continent. Flying off to glamorous royal events to hob nob with other royals while the nation struggles through very tough times just doesn't look good.

The foreign monarchs are invited to two events taking place on March 18th which are constantly mixed up:
During the day, a lunch at Windor Castle hosted by the Queen, which the Cambridges will apparently attend.
In the evening, a dinner at Buckingham palace hosted by the Waleses, which the Cambridges apparently won't attend.

do we have a list of the Guests who confirmed their presence or not yet?
So far I think it is the Scandinavians, the Queen of Spain, the King of Bahrain, the new King and Queen of Tonga, and the Emperor and Empress of Japan.

:previous:
I think Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima are also confirmed to attend both the lunch and the dinner.
It's almost certain former King Constantine of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie, as well as Alexander II of Serbia and Crown Princess Katherine will attend as well.

thanks NGalitzine and Artemisia.
i am hoping to see all the rest royals from all over the world its gonna be fun

I was under the impression Windsor was only for reigning sovereigns, at least that is what keeps being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom