The Diamond Jubilee Luncheon and Dinner for the World's Monarchs: May 18, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was going to be partying, until she decided it would look bad. I'm sure she'd love to actually be there.

I think you should re-read. The problem arose yesterday, because they broke negotiations and conflicts are expected in the coming days. That is why today they have canceled.

In any case, go or no go, it is not a personal decision of the Queen Sofia. It is a lunch for Heads of State, to go or not is a decision of the Spanish state.

The point still stands, she's not going because of the potential backlash she'll receive. Like I said, she'd probably love to be there.

Gibraltar is entirely self-governing. With the exception of defence, the Gibraltarians makes their own decisions. The Queen is in no way involved in the actions of the government there. Nor is Gibraltar a British 'colony' as some people try to suggest.

QEII and Queen Sofia are entirely removed from any fishing disputes, or sovereignty disputes for that matter. It's disappointing when governments us their monarchs as puppets to make political points.

I feel for Sofia especially as you always get the impression that she loves these big royal get-togethers. Given the pretty awful time she's had recently, I'm sure she was looking forward to it.

And the king and queen of the Belgians, will they be present?

I think the political issues surrounding Edward and Sophie's visit to the Gilbraltar, and the Spanish politicians not approving is so petty, but froming from Nothern Ireland I understand how country politics can seem the most important thing.

I am glad Albert and Charlene are attending. Do we know if any of the Crown Princely couples are attending? The good thing is Edward and Sophie will know a lot of these Monarchs from attending so many weddings, moreso than other members of the family.

What difference does it makenow if Queen Sofia attends the Jubilee last year when she, Felipe and Letizia attended the wedding of William and Catherine last year?

Spain snubs the Queen's Jubilee bash: Overseas royals say their attendance would be inappropriate
Thee Queen was dealt an extraordinary and calculated snub last night that threatens to tarnish her Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Just two days before Her Majesty was due to welcome the crowned heads of Europe’s royal houses to an elaborate Windsor Castle lunch, Spain’s Queen Sofia dramatically pulled out of the event. A spokesman for the Spanish royals snootily declared that Sofia’s presence would be ‘inappropriate in the current circumstances.’

Queen of the canals: Monarch takes a barge into Burnley on her Diamond Jubilee tour of Britain
The Queen's Jubilee tour floated into the North West today, as the monarch, the Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Charles arrived in Burnley on a barge. A day after they were mobbed by adoring crowds in South London, the royal party seemed to enjoy the change of pace as their vessel slowly chugged through the town centre. Prince Charles had a special reason to join his parents on the Burnley leg of the Diamond Jubilee tour - no less than six of his charities have worked on regenerating the town (and he's a secret fan of Burnley Football Club!).

I wonder if we'll get any photos of the lunch(ie: arriving, inside) or is it strictly private? I'd love a group photo tbh. Either way I won't be around it'll be round 4am here and there is no way my body will be able to get up that early. I still don't understand how I went over 24 hours without sleeping during William and Kate's wedding last year, I like refused to sleep at all the night/morning of the wedding. And now my body can barely stay awake past 2am go figure.

We'll probably get pictures of the arrival, it's been made clear the guest list and it's on the calender. Whereas the dinner in the evening is not. A group photo will probably appear like the one for The Golden Jubilee. I should be home from work in time.

I'll most likely be up in time for the dinner but no way I'll make the lunch sadly oh well I'll catch up later. Oh they had a group photo for the Golden Jubilee? Ah that's encouraging hope they have one this time too!

:previous:
I am looking forward to photos of Lalla Meryem in a stunning caftan. Will her daughter accompany her?

:previous:
they didn't mention Lalla Soukaina Al_bina but i won't be surprised if she attend too,Lalla Joumala might attend also but i am not sure.

Queen Beatrix is coming. It was talked about in the Dutch Parliament and they voted to allow her to attend. Apparently they had concerns about the attendance of the King of Bahrain but decided that was a British issue and not something in their control.

According to a tweet today by BBC correspondent Peter Hunt, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie will be attending the luncheon.

I read the news this morning that the guest list has been released by the Palace but somehow I could not find it anywhere. We probably have to wait for the sources from the tweet of the royal reporters, I guess.

Guest list
The full guest list for the monarchs' lunch is:
HM The King of Bahrain; HRH Princess Sabeeka bint Ibrahim Al Khalifa (Bahrain); HM The King of The Belgians; HM The Queen of The Belgians; HM The Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei; HM Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha (Brunei); HM King Simeon II of the Bulgarians; HM Queen Margarita of the Bulgarians; HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark; HRH The Prince Consort (Denmark); HM King Constantine of the Hellenes; HM Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes; HM The Emperor of Japan; HM The Empress of Japan; HM The King of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan; HM Queen of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan; HH Sheikh Nasser Mohamed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait.
HM King Letsie III of Lesotho; HM Queen Masenate Mohato Seeiso of Lesotho; HSH Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein; HRH The Grand Duke of Luxembourg; HRH The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg; HM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia; HM Seri Paduka Baginda Raja Permaisuri of Malaysia; HSH The Prince of Monaco; HSH The Princess of Monaco; HRH Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco; HM The Queen of the Netherlands; HM The King of Norway; HM The Queen of Norway; HH The Emir of The State of Qatar; HH Sheika Mozah bint Nasser Al-Missned (Qatar).
HM King Michael I of Romania; HM Queen Anne of Romania; HRH Prince Mohammed Bin Nawaf Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia; HM King Mswati III of Swaziland; Inkhosikati LaMbikiza (Swaziland); HM The King of Sweden; HM The Queen of Sweden; HRH The Crown Prince of Thailand; HRH Princess Srirasm of Thailand; HM The King of Tonga; HM The Queen of Tonga; HH The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi; HRH The Crown Prince of Yugoslavia; HRH The Crown Princess of Yugoslavia.

This is indeed the biggest royal gathering since the funeral of the Queen Mother and the Golden Jubilee. Plus it extends to foreign royalty instead of just the European ones. But i think the Foreign Office may have forgotten or left Bhutan, Cambodia and Oman as well?

I imagine trying to figure out the protocol and precedence of that group would be a nightmare, although if they follow the practice used at Williams wedding it may be a case of first come first served.

Some news...
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
@HRHDuchesskate Erm, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say. Better not, given the security issues. But roughly as you'd expect for a lunch.
@HRHDuchesskate I'll be outside the castle though so hope to be able to tweet something useful, perhaps about protests if there are any.
Also tune into BBC I just watched a bit and they have someone outside of Windsor castle so I expect they'll prob have a little something later.

This is important to know
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter @HRHDuchesskate National newspaper royal correspondents have been banned from the castle. They claim they don't have room. PA and BBC there

Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN Monarchs of Bahrain and Swaziland confirmed as guests to Queens lunch at Windsor. Amnesty hits out. Details on #CNN from 11BST
Palace: Every World Monarch invited as a matter of course. We have been supported by the FCO for this event.

BBC has a news piece on the lunch, which mainly discussed the 'snubs' and the controversial guests. They mentioned that all sovereign monarchs were invited, so whoever isn't attending chose not to.

I would be so pleased if there will be a group photo and this would be an amazing group photo. I have never seen so much monarchs at one picture.

I imagine trying to figure out the protocol and precedence of that group would be a nightmare, although if they follow the practice used at Williams wedding it may be a case of first come first served.

I was just thinking that too!

I believe at an event like this precedence relates to length of reign making it quite easy really - simply done by date of accession.

Is Prince William & Catherine attending the dinner? Last I read a few days ago that they weren't, not sure if things have changed.

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the lunch and dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom