The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke of Edinburgh is admitted to hospital | Daily Mail Online

The DM is saying Charles will go to the State Opening with his mother who will still attend Ascot as planned.

Watch the scathing comments who will accuse her of being 'unfeeling' given that her husband is in hospital but she is still going to the races.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Commoner

Concerning HM looking frail and things...
She *is* looking older lately, but still looking good for her age. (Of course she's having the best treatment when it comes down to medical things or things in general. Plus the genes from her mother...)
She *is* in fact walking more bent over, but as has been said, she still walks very well. The *only* thing I am always a bit worried of are her shoes and her heels. Apparently she feels comfortable in them, but given her age...
Shortcut: IMO she's ways from being frail ALTHOUGH she's lately ageing ( a bit )
If she remains like this (without falling etc) I bet she will be able to beat her mothers age.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

When I was watching them walk to their seats at Ascot yesterday...that same thought popped into my head...they are both looking more frail, I suppose that will increase as they age.

The Queen still walks well, is able to pick up her feet quite well.

Phillip is looking a bit more worn here lately, but perhaps he just overdid it yesterday and they need to keep an eye on him for a day or two.

The day before yesterday the Queen went riding and Phillip went carriage driving.

LaRae
Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Commoner

And, as long as she is able to sit on a horse and ride, she can't de facto be that frail as some people intend.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Concerning HM looking frail and things...
She *is* looking older lately, but still looking good for her age. (Of course she's having the best treatment when it comes down to medical things or things in general. Plus the genes from her mother...)
She *is* in fact walking more bent over, but as has been said, she still walks very well. The *only* thing I am always a bit worried of are her shoes and her heels. Apparently she feels comfortable in them, but given her age...
Shortcut: IMO she's ways from being frail ALTHOUGH she's lately ageing ( a bit )
If she remains like this (without falling etc) I bet she will be able to beat her mothers age.

I think the Queen looked surprisingly well today at the Queen's Speech, much better actually than last year when she had to wear the crown and all the state regalia. Prince Charles, on the other hand, looked old and frail to me (although other posters in the State Opening of Parliament disagreed).
Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Do we know what hospital the Duke was admitted to?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Do we know what hospital the Duke was admitted to?
King Edward VII Hospital in London.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Just saw a statement that he was admitted as a pre-cautionary measure due to an infection from a pre-existing condition.

LaRae
Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip will be staying in the hospital tonight-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...01973624860672

He's still in "good spirits"-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...02095381327872

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Video:
Royal Spokesperson, Dickie Arbiter, has said that Prince Philip is only in hospital for observation, because at his age, it is better to err on the side of caution than take risks with his health. Arbiter also defended the fact that the Queen won't be leaving Royal Ascot to visit him, saying that Prince Philip would not want a fuss, he would just want to get in and let the doctors do their work, so he can get out again.
Home - ITNSource News

Rhiannon Mills‏ @SkyRhiannon
#PrinceCharles asked by @FionaMackieSky how the Duke of Edinburgh doing, he replied "He's getting better, he's getting better" #PrincePhilip
Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps important to note Dickie Arbiter is a former Press Secretary to the Queen and not the current one. I'm sure he has wonderful sources but he is not a current spokesperson for the Queen.

I see no reason to worry unduly about Philip, yes he is old now but he is made of strong stuff.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. Dickie Arbiter hasn't worked for the royal household since 2000.

2. It was ITN and not me who wrote the video text in my above post. And I didn't notice the ''Royal Spokesperson'' quote when I watched the video and then copied the text.

3. I agree with you about Philip and yes he is (as you said) old, but he's great for 96.

I seemed a bit irritadet in this post, so I edited it a bit.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Nobility

I'm glad they are saying it is precautionary but it is still worrisome when a 96 year old man is admitted to the hospital.

Best wishes to him for a quick return home.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Majesty

Prince Philip leaves hospital

Prince Philip leaves hospital after two-night stay
Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nice to know he has left the hospital and back home resting. He did it without being pictured.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If anyone has even the slightest clue into Philip's character makeup, it would be unlike Philip to endorse any kind of "publicity" surrounding his recent stay in the hospital. I'm happy that other than the fact being know that he was hospitalized, no other details have emerged about it and he was able to get the care he needed at the time, recoup and return home with no one else the wiser.

If it hadn't happened that way, I'm sure Philip would have expressed his thoughts on the matter. Loudly.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
3. I agree with you about Philip and yes he is (as you said) old, but he's great for 96.

I seemed a bit irritadet in this post, so I edited it a bit.

I wonder how much this statement is accurate.

The DoE (and the Queen) both put on a great show of being in good health for their ages, and very likely are in good health for their ages. However their have been little comments made recently that make me wonder if their health, or at least the DoE's, is not as good as it seems.

The DoE appears to be a healthy man with few visible mobility issues and a sound mind; other than a few health scares over the years we have no knowledge of any serious problems. Yet, when his retirement was announced a comment was made implying that he may have some serious mobility problems that have been hidden (or it may have just been a joke), and with this hospitalization we're being told of a "pre-existing condition".

It makes me worry that something is seriously wrong with the DoE's health. I don't believe we need to know or be told - the man is entitled to a degree of privacy - but I do have concerns. I hope I'm wrong, but I do worry for him.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think, for the most part, as a person ages and body parts don't seem to want to work as well as they did when younger, certain people get a penchant for certain infections that crop up every now and then. Its called a chronic condition. Diabetics have to physically keep tabs on their pancreas and even have an insulin routine and sometimes need hospitalization to assure that the treatment is working as its supposed to or maybe even changed.

I imagine that its the same with the DoE. Maybe he suffers from occasional bouts of gout that flares up every now and then and the hospital is to assure that the treatment being prescribed not only helps with the infection but that the treatment itself doesn't have to be modified or changed as the body changes.

These are made up examples. It happens with pre existing conditions so maybe if we look into what Philip's previous problems have been (if they're known), we'd get a clue of what was going on.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Nice to know he has left the hospital and back home resting. He did it without being pictured.
There is a picture of him - the DM has it.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Although the statement 'pre-existing condition' worries me a bit as well, I suppose nobody can expect perfect health at 96. I'm very glad to see that he is now relaxing at home. Perhaps the carriage ride at Ascot jolted him up a bit?

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii