General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not a naval friend of Prince Philip's it could well be Guy Middleton Power, who was better known as Guy Middleton and was a character actor (suave naval and army types) of the British cinema of the 1940s and 50s. He was apparently a member of the Thursday Club to which Philip and several of his friends belonged.

Out of all the pictures that we get here of HM, I think the ones I enjoy the most are the ones where she's out riding. Probably because I know one of her very favorite times is when its her and her Fell pony out for a jaunt around Windsor Great Park. Its something very personal to her and a lifelong favorite thing to be doing with her time.

The fact that she's 91 and still riding isn't just amazing, its something that you don't expect a lot of people over 90 to still be doing. Its the same with Philip and his carriage driving. Makes me seriously wonder if this couple were the inspiration for the Energizer Bunny. :D

energizer bunny gif | GIF Images Download

I'm totally admiring her for being able to still ride but every time I see her I'm wondering if she can get on/off the horse by herself or if she's got help.

:previous:I'm pretty sure she's either using a mounting block or getting assistance from a groom.

Lovely that she is still about to ride. If she ever stops riding that's not a good sign.

LaRae

They are an amazing couple and obviously, both have slowed down. HM does look like she is enjoying a quiet time when there are not lots of people around and she gets the illusion of solitude. She probably does use a mounting block and is, as always, accompanied by a groom who could also be a PO for all we know. Whatever, I want to be as active at her age.

Prince Philip gave up riding years ago but then he took up Carriage Driving which I think takes just as much energy with having two horses (and aren't they gorgeous) to control. That he isn't exactly going at a snail's pace is reflected by his back seat passenger's (DF says female - how very astute an observation) obvious discomfort. Perhaps she is a PO since she's not riding up front with him and ball caps are not the norm among his usual companions. Whoever she is, she certainly doesn't look like this is where she really wants to be.

:previous: Her companion is her head stud groom Terry Pendry. He is more often then not her companion when we see her out riding, even when she has company like Lord Vestry.

Even with a mounting block, it still takes some energy to mount and ride. Its definitely a good sign. I will worry when she isn't riding.

Philip as well. He may not be riding but controlling two horses pulling a carriage at a good speed is not a simple thing. Good exercise for him.

Unbelievably amazing that at 91 she still rides her horse, truly a woman of strong character and strength of heart. Bless her and hope to see her still doing this a decade from now.......what a remarkable lady to have been through so much in life and still comes out smiling......

So what did happen to Philip's stag do chums? Rarely seen photo reveals the friends who partied with the Prince before his wedding...and went on to lead extraordinary lives

That's a good question Eya. I have no idea. Most likely, they were secreted and protected behind the doors of the Tuesday Club that Philip was so fond of. Even back then, they liked to keep their private lives private.

Read an amusing story in one of the articles recently about Elizabeth and Philip's wedding. I think it was on the History Extra website. Seems Philip got pulled over for speeding the night before the wedding on the way to the rehearsal. Told the cop "I'm in a hurry! I have an appointment with the Archbishop of Canterbury!". Of course, I guess by then the cop recognized Philip and let him go. :D

That's a good question Eya. I have no idea. Most likely, they were secreted and protected behind the doors of the Tuesday Club that Philip was so fond of. Even back then, they liked to keep their private lives private.

Read an amusing story in one of the articles recently about Elizabeth and Philip's wedding. I think it was on the History Extra website. Seems Philip got pulled over for speeding the night before the wedding on the way to the rehearsal. Told the cop "I'm in a hurry! I have an appointment with the Archbishop of Canterbury!". Of course, I guess by then the cop recognized Philip and let him go. :D

Osipi-Eya wasn't asking a question, she was writing what the DM article said. She posted the article about what happened to the men in later years.

The older they get the more I appreciate the Queen and Prince Phillip. They are remarkable people and excellent role models when it comes to many things, including aging. The reason they're doing so well is they stay active and curious, exercise daily and keep their minds active. Appropo of nothing, I came across this article today; in addition to the castles, jewels, land, etc., The Queen owns....a McDonald's!!! https://nypost.com/2017/11/06/queen-elizabeth-owns-her-own-mcdonalds-and-its-fittingly-regal/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and in a full bridle too. So nice to see her out!

LaRae

:previous:
Thank you Royal Norway for the info showing HM still out riding at her age. Just amazing that she still has this much energy at her age, I so admire her and hope to see HM doing this the same time next year and the year after. As long as HM is not galloping over fences and water I think she will be just fine riding......:flowers:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I am very interested in reading "My Husband and I: The Inside Story Of 70 Years Of Royal Marriage," by Ingrid Seward. Does anyone know how reliable this book is or if it is just a compilation of gossip? Thanks.

Weird title for a book that was authored by someone who is not the Queen. Just that alone would steer me away from it. :D

Weird title for a book that was authored by someone who is not the Queen. Just that alone would steer me away from it. :D

Not really - for decades it was a running joke that she would start many speeches with 'My husband and I' and that is all that is really alluding to.

Oooh, this looks fantastic! It's always such a treat to get HM's personal impressions on anything, let alone her Coronation and the Crown Jewels.

Plus, as a rare bonus Granny's Chips brooch looks outstanding on that dark blue dress! You really get a feeling for how huge those stones are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom