The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Gentry

i find it hard to believe the story about diana being so rude to sophie in front of the queen. diana won't dare because it put herself in such a bad light and the queen would be more incline to support sophie and believe the worse of diana.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Gentry

dear auntie, fact is that sophie made a geering remark to a fake sheik planted by one of the papers about all the negative aspeck of diana after she died. why must she do that to a person who died unless she is jealous of diana or that by highlighting diana negative aspect, she is making herself out to be a better person? its not very nice of her.

ps, she is not very popular among the people maybe only popluar with the queen

Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

So it is definate that Diana and Sophie did know each other?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtan View Post
dear auntie, fact is that sophie made a geering remark to a fake sheik planted by one of the papers about all the negative aspeck of diana after she died. why must she do that to a person who died unless she is jealous of diana or that by highlighting diana negative aspect, she is making herself out to be a better person? its not very nice of her.

ps, she is not very popular among the people maybe only popluar with the queen
I have read the transcript ot the Fake Skiek many times and have never ever come across Sophie dishing Diana. The only mention she makes of Diana is that that the men in Buckingham Palace wanted to make her the next Diana and that Edward and herself would not stand for it.
Actually I agree with everthing Sophie said to the Skiek, I'm sure the Queen is a darling and the Queen Mother such a dear. Having met Cherie Blair I totally agree and while, William Hague does look like a muppet.
You can read the transcript by searching on the News of the World site. A lot Sophie said has been misreported over the years.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Aristocracy

well i haven t read the full transcipt, i think i ll look for it now, but it was reportet in nearly every newspaper that sophie said, she will replace sophie, or like i read it then: diana left a place, she can take now. well, i cant verify it of course, and i don t want to defend diana, just sth i read.

well i ve searched for the transcript, but can t find because on the now page you can just search through the web? Oô. can you give me the word to look for, would be nice, thank you.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
She told him that Sophie was a carbon copy of her and that the monarchy were also grooming her to replace her
That does sound extremely harsh and who knows it could be true. But Diana was prone to jumped to conclusions. And I have no doubt that Princess Maragret had probably said some bad things to Princess Diana, but who is to know?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

was sophie at diana's funeral in a non-royal capacity of course? - she did attend the decommissioning of the royal yacht and the queen's golden wedding anniversary that year yet was not married or engaged to edward

Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Courtier

No Sophie didn't attend. She felt it was inapproprate as she wasn't a member of the family nor a friend of Diana's.
There were also rumours at the time of her and Edward having a cooling off time. But Sophie was actually with Edward at Windsor when they found out about Diana's death.
I think that there was some problem with Sophie's resemblance to Diana. Apparently there was a bad encounter at a grocer with a Diana fan who accused her of killing Diana so she could replace her. Don't get it myself.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

All Diana and Sophie shared in common as far as looks went was a similar short blonde hair style. Other than that, they looked absolutely nothing alike.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Courtier

In the beginning everyone did assume Sophie was a carbon copy of Diana...but they are nothing alike. I believe that Diana had jealousy issues with most people for attention but no one every really topped her. I don't think they wanted to either...Sophie especially...
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree. If Diana were to make those kinds of remarks, it wouldn't have been around the Queen. The questioning about Sophie's class/salary/wages doesn't ring true to me. Diana had her faults, but no-one has ever accused her of snobbery.

Quote:
i find it hard to believe the story about diana being so rude to sophie in front of the queen. diana won't dare because it put herself in such a bad light and the queen would be more incline to support sophie and believe the worse of diana.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
she is not very popular among the people maybe only popluar with the queen
No, Sophie is not that popular with people in the UK, IMO.

Could Diana be bitchy, yes, with a vengence but although she probably asked Sophie a lot of questions, they would probably not have been visibly bitchy if HM was present. It could have been a case of the girlfriend being hyper sensitive and feeling inadequate.

Burrel would not have been there, he was Dianas' toadie and you don't take your butler everywhere with you.

I don't think Sophie tried to copy Diana in any way, she simply styled her hair in the fashion of the day.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

While I think it's plausible that Diana could/would be bitchy to Sophia I can't believe that she would be so rude in the presence of QE2 and QEQM, or if she was that they wouldn't put a stop to it promptly! I didn't realize Sophia wasn't very popular with the people. How come?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Courtier

Personally I believe it. I heard it years ago from a woman who worked for the Queen, and since than I have heard it from many mouths independantly.

Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britian, instead she came second in the most hatred poll of British women in 2001, right under a serial killer.
IMO The British people are very suspectable to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories. At an early age Edward was assigned the role of dumb, lazy weakling and they have never changed from that. The tabloid code for them is Baldy and Blondie, or the Wallflowers.
The sad thing is Edward has no want to change them perception of himself, he doesn't became friends with journalists in pubs and leak personal information. Regardless of how small, which annoys the press as they see him as been aloof and arragant in not playing their game, the problem is Edward believes that if he corrects rumours and gives them small information they will want more which he is not willing to give.
In a poll the British people stated that William was the hardest working royal, Edward the laziest. That he lives in a huge house with hundreds of servants and does nothing but take their money. Telling ordinary British people that at the age of sixteen Edward had already done more engagements in Canada than William has done in his whole life, is pointless. The fact that Edward house is small in comparision to household purposey built for Charles, Andrew and Anne and that the room count the tabloids keep given only makes sense if you are counting selves and cupboards as well - doesn't ring well with the British. I tried telling a British man that not having the monarchy is not going to mean more money in his pocket, for some reason they seem to think that to off Edward and Sophie means several more hundred pounds in their pocket for the pub at night.
And Edward does nothing. Personally I think that it is Edward and Sophie's intentions to wait until William and Haryr marry and settle into royal life and than when Charles became king and starts scalling down the monarchy, volunteer to stop doing engagements altogether and concerntrate only on the DOEA.
From Edward 's own admission he is a old, ugly boring man, of course noone is going to make him into a celebrity and celebrity is what modern royalty is all about. Sad actually from what I know of Edward and Sophie and I have been told this by many people, including a European royal that Edward and Sophie are the best royals in Britain, great people and certain would be the most popular if people bothered to know them. Our loss I suppose.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britian, instead she came second in the most hatred poll of British women in 2001, right under a serial killer.
Do you have a link to this poll, again I can't find any mention of it. Whilst Sophie is not admired, nobody would bother, IMO to hate her! She is not popular because she is so blahhhhh. She doesn't appear to have done anything good to remember her by.
Quote:
IMO The British people are very suspectable to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories. At an early age Edward was assigned the role of dumb, lazy weakling and they have never changed from that. The tabloid code for them is Baldy and Blondie, or the Wallflowers.
I don't feel they get bad press, they just don't get any. Nor do I feel that I or the British people are susceptible to spin, anymore than the average person anywhere on this forum or out in the real world. I have scoured the news sites, past and present and cannot find one reference to Baldy, Blondie or the wallflowers, do you have a link?
Quote:
In a poll the British people stated that William was the hardest working royal, Edward the laziest. That he lives in a huge house with hundreds of servants and does nothing but take their money.
Do you have a link to this
Quote:
I tried telling a British man that not having the monarchy is not going to mean more money in his pocket, for some reason they seem to think that to off Edward and Sophie means several more hundred pounds in their pocket for the pub at night.
I find your remarks funny, neither I nor my friends go into pubs, let alone spend hundreds of pounds in there on any night. To judge the entire British people on one man, is in itself a little worrying.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Courtier

In the Mirror ran the poll among its readers and Sophie came second to Maxine Carr, Sorry but have to ask the mirrors readers.

I'm afriad to say that the paparazzi as well as journos on the royal beat do refer to Sophie and Edward as Baldy and Blondie. And yes according to the PR watchday, the British people, followed by the Russians and Australian are the most suspectible to spin through all types of the media.

It was a Yougov poll that focussed on adults between the ages of 40 to 14, that found William the hardest working royal. Many news agencies and the monarchy itself use these polls. But I don't remember who funded this one, only that we all had a good laugh at it. I remember it was around the time a MP recommended that the Queen move in the Millenuim Dome and give BP and Windsor to the tourists. 80 % of the people polled agreed with her. Most wanted Kate Moss as Queen and Ozzy Osbourne as PM.

I have help carry out many of these polls, albeit not on the monarchy. But try one for yourself, try to ask people other that those within your circle and have the same thoughts and social scene as yourself. I'm afriad to say that yes the average Brition does believe that the end of the monarchy will be mean more money in their pocket.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
In the Mirror ran the poll among its readers and Sophie came second to Maxine Carr, Sorry but have to ask the mirrors readers.
I rang The Mirror instead and they said they have no recollection of such a poll, but I did leave my number and if the nice young man can find anything, he will phone me back. The only reference I can find on the net, to a poll concerning Sophie is this - 7th July 1999
The Sun conducted a phone poll of it's readers asking which couple "were more popular in Britain today", Victoria and David or the Count and Countess of Wessex. Sophie and Edward scored a narrow victory over Posh and Beckham. 25,728 readers said the Royals were Britain's most popular couple - with 25,220 backing the Beckhams.
Quote:
I'm afriad to say that the paparazzi as well as journos on the royal beat do refer to Sophie and Edward as Baldy and Blondie. And yes according to the PR watchday, the British people, followed by the Russians and Australian are the most suspectible to spin through all types of the media.
I can't say that I have heard of a PR Watchday in the UK and they do not appear to be called names in the media here, a friend of ours who writes for the Telegraph has never heard anyone use that description when referring to Edward or Sophie and Jenny Bond also has no knowledge of it.
Quote:
It was a Yougov poll that focussed on adults between the ages of 40 to 14, that found William the hardest working royal. Many news agencies and the monarchy itself use these polls. But I don't remember who funded this one, only that we all had a good laugh at it. I remember it was around the time a MP recommended that the Queen move in the Millenuim Dome and give BP and Windsor to the tourists. 80 % of the people polled agreed with her. Most wanted Kate Moss as Queen and Ozzy Osbourne as PM.
I know a fair bit about the YouGov polls and again had a look for any such poll on the members site, to no avail. I know that many agencies use YouGov, but SS & PK have no knowledge of any poll for the monarchy or a poll conducted under their name targetting anyone under the age of 18
Quote:
I have help carry out many of these polls, albeit not on the monarchy. But try one for yourself, try to ask people other that those within your circle and have the same thoughts and social scene as yourself. I'm afriad to say that yes the average Brition does believe that the end of the monarchy will be mean more money in their pocket.
I have asked people outwith my social circle, such as permanent and casual staff, also a variety of people when we are on base. I haven't yet found one that believes they will have several more hundred pounds to spend on beer if Eddy or Soph (as they call them) were to go.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
While I think it's plausible that Diana could/would be bitchy to Sophia I can't believe that she would be so rude in the presence of QE2 and QEQM, or if she was that they wouldn't put a stop to it promptly! I didn't realize Sophia wasn't very popular with the people. How come?
thecustard.tv links and lists • Great Britions

100 WORST BRITONS
Aired Saturday 10 May, 8.00-10.35pm Channel 4, presented by Jimmy Carr.
Candidates are all British, alive, not involved in legal action and not in jail.
-------------------
I think Sophie is just not seen to be doing a lot of anything. When she had her own company, many thought she was fantastic, a breath of fresh air, someone who actually worked for a living. Then of course we had the fake sheikh scandal, followed by her company being liquidated owing 1000's of pounds.

Edwards company also went bust, owing a substantial amount of money.
----------------
Sophie Wessex – heroine of Britain's closet republicans - This Britain, UK - Independent.co.uk
Sophiegate is a huge blow to the Windsors' rehabilitation strategy, but the nation isn't ready to abolish them – yet Sophie Wessex – heroine of Britain's closet republicans
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Courtier

I went to go get the file, and yep pretty certain that it was the Mirror that held the poll, please check the Sunday Mirror, as well as online polls. I see that they also had a poll about who you dislike the most, Edward or Sophie. Sophie won that one too. Both are accredited to the Mirror.
The UK (Yougov) poll was about William and Harry, recently look in the last year.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Here are some articles:

Mori poll :
Ipsos MORI - Monarchy Poll, The News of the World
The Age: Royal Esteem lifts in times of sadness
theage.com.au - Royal esteem lifts in time of sadness
The Mirror: Sparkling Jewel in the Crown
SPARKLING JEWEL IN THE ROYALS' CROWN - Mirror.co.uk

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex