Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that the Duchess is happy and has a 'unified family' and a new line of flavoured teas coming out. Now just go away!

I'm glad to see her doing well. Some people had a good time kicking her when she was down, but she's doing well. She can't "go away" because she have to live her life.

But she doesn't have to live it in the public eye.
She puts herself out there.

Sarah continues to support various charities and carry out duties for them. She's involved in various ventures as well. In order to continue doing what she's doing, she's going to be in the publics eye regardless. She got to live her life and it's going to attract attention. That's just how the cookie crumbles for her since 1986. Her only choice is make the best of it and carry on.

But she doesn't have to live it in the public eye.
She puts herself out there.

As much as I do admire the charity work that she does, it does seem that for some reason, Sarah seems to want to make herself into someone the public and consumers will look up to and admire and want to be "just like" Sarah. Its not going to happen as that ship sailed a long time ago. Its sort of sad that she didn't realize the impact she could have made as part of the royal family. Trying to cash in on who she once was 20 years ago just isn't going to work.

Sometimes we all learn lessons late in life.

As much as I do admire the charity work that she does, it does seem that for some reason, Sarah seems to want to make herself into someone the public and consumers will look up to and admire and want to be "just like" Sarah. Its not going to happen as that ship sailed a long time ago. Its sort of sad that she didn't realize the impact she could have made as part of the royal family. Trying to cash in on who she once was 20 years ago just isn't going to work.

Sometimes we all learn lessons late in life.

She may no longer be royal, but it doesn't mean that she can't continue on doing charity work and making a little difference in other people's lives. Some can't let go of her past mistakes, but she's moving on and doing great things. I think that's a positive reflection on her.

She may no longer be royal, but it doesn't mean that she can't continue on doing charity work and making a little difference in other people's lives. Some can't let go of her past mistakes, but she's moving on and doing great things. I think that's a positive reflection on her.

But she's not moving on she still brings Andrew and her wedding day into every interview. Moving on would be not talking about the BRF at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Her philanthropy and her work for charity is to be commended for sure and I'm happy she's found her niche in working for the causes she has committed herself to.

The point I was trying to bring across is that her commercial ventures whether it be weight loss teas or whatever else she has tried to "plug" to the public and in doing so, creating a "brand" of Sarah, Duchess of York is something I don't see going very far and in a way, its sad as it seems that she's trying to capitalize on who she once was. What stands out in this respect for me is that I think if it were the case that she really had something she believed in and believed in herself totally, she wouldn't rely on the "Duchess of York" angle. It may sound crude and rude but to me, it sounds like she using her once upon a time connection to the British royal family as a lure.

I do understand that she's well within her rights to keep on using the courtesy title of a divorced spouse of a peer but I just feel it can be seen as misleading. Too many times the media still makes the mistake of calling her The Duchess of York especially here in the US.

But she's not moving on she still brings Andrew and her wedding day into every interview. Moving on would be not talking about the BRF at all.

I don't understand why people would have a problem with her bringing up her family. Andrew, their daughters and The Queen may be royal, but it's still her family. She not only enjoy talking a bit about her family, but so does Prince Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie. She's not spilling any beans or talking about anything inappropriate, but just expressing how proud she is of her family and how she admires her former mother-in-law. That's a happy and healthy thing for her to do, not something that should be put down.

Her philanthropy and her work for charity is to be commended for sure and I'm happy she's found her niche in working for the causes she has committed herself to.

The point I was trying to bring across is that her commercial ventures whether it be weight loss teas or whatever else she has tried to "plug" to the public and in doing so, creating a "brand" of Sarah, Duchess of York is something I don't see going very far and in a way, its sad as it seems that she's trying to capitalize on who she once was. What stands out in this respect for me is that I think if it were the case that she really had something she believed in and believed in herself totally, she wouldn't rely on the "Duchess of York" angle. It may sound crude and rude but to me, it sounds like she using her once upon a time connection to the British royal family as a lure.

I do understand that she's well within her rights to keep on using the courtesy title of a divorced spouse of a peer but I just feel it can be seen as misleading. Too many times the media still makes the mistake of calling her The Duchess of York especially here in the US.

Well, her brand is part royal, despite her divorce. Her brand became royal when she married into one the most famous royal dynasties in the world. She's no longer an HRH, but her royal image has helped her make a living for herself after the divorce. She still have to live and eat and have other obligations to take care of. I don't think her former mother-in-law, ex-husband and daughters have a problem with her brand. If so, it all would've changed long ago. I think as long as she's not writing a complete tell-all book about her royal relatives, she's doing just fine.

If she had lived, her sister-in-law would've been in the same boat.

We all know when it comes to titles, the American media isn't good at getting it right.

Last edited:
'If she had lived her sister in law would have been in the same boat.'

That points to the crux of the matter to me, because no she wouldn't. Diana came from a wealthy family. Sarah didn't. Major Ferguson not only had very little wealth but had a second family to support.

Diana got the best divorce lawyers money could buy, and a reputed 17 million pound settlement after her marriage ended. I have no doubt that there was some sort of confidentiality clause tied up with her divorce as well.

Sarah famously supposedly said, when the Queen asked her about what she required from the divorce, that she just wanted to keep her (the Queen's) respect and love. She's a warmhearted woman and that was a typical statement, (if a staggering one considering her own actions) but it was hardly practical. She was reputedly extravagant throughout her marriage and she should have, for her own sake, have been more hardheaded.

The Queen was as generous as she could be and of course the wellbeing of her granddaughters was uppermost in her mind. Andrew has been similarly generous to his ex in offering housing at crisis moments in her life. However he had little wealth of his own.

Sarah should have asked for more and held out for more in my opinion. Because she lacked a long term view and self analysis, and possibly felt that her future would include marriage to a wealthy American like Wyatt she ignored the fact that she had become used, after her marriage to Prince Andrew, to a certain standard of living and that she liked travelling and spending money.

Possibly if her divorce settlement had been tripled, with the way money trickles through Sarah's hands it would have disappeared anyway. I don't know. If she had employed a top class financial adviser, perhaps not. However, her divorce settlement wasn't generous and from it has come all the entanglements, all the disasters, all the failed business ventures, the bankruptcy, the need to borrow from her children's trust accounts, the awful publicity which has impacted indirectly on the BRF.

She is, I believe, a woman who has a deep psychological need to be known, liked, respected, by the public. Selling access to her ex husband, flogging hair curling wands, etc on US TV sales channels isn't the way to go about it, nor are the regular TV interviews talking about her weight loss and self improvement techniques (no she hasn't 'improved', she's still basically the same irrepressible, irresponsible woman she was in her twenties, in spite of all her disasters.) She mentions the Royal family a lot, still, two decades after her divorce, because it helps her commercial interests (she believes,) in the US. However, her sell by date there is fast approaching.

If a remotely realistic divorce package had been offered and accepted Sarah may have married a wealthy American and settled partially in the US, hardly ever to be heard from again, and in my view it's a pity the BRF lawyers didn't advise the Queen in that direction for the sake of the Yorks' future reputation, for which Sarah, Duchess of York has done nothing At All.

So sorry for the terribly long rant!

Last edited:
17 million may sound like a lot, and it is, but not if you live the kind of lifestyle Diana and other royals/former royals did and do. 600,000 to pay for the running of her household as well, a year. Honestly how much of 17 million do you think would be left after 19 years of divorce? Diana would have had to find other sources of income. And there is no way she would have disappeared into the wood work and become a kindergarten teacher or something not requiring her royal connections.

Thanks for putting into words thoughts that I couldn't find the words to express. You've summed things up pretty nicely I think.

Unfortunately, Sarah has always been a person that has always depended on other people and has never really learned to stand on her own two feet as an independent woman and had to clean up her own messes. Its not a bad trait really as there are multitudes of people out there that have this "live for today" way of looking at things and living life. She's just been very fortunate that she has a loving family including a caring ex-husband that has her back should she need it.

The point is that Sarah is doing well for herself and she seems to be in a happy place. I know folks enjoy kicking her around, but I guess that won't change. It's become an enjoyable sport for some. I just hope she continues to do well and be happy.

I also don't have a problem with her speaking well about her loved ones. If you're surrounded by a very loving and supportive family, you have every right to be proud and should be able to express your love for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. Her ex-husband do the same when he gets a chance, but I don't see anyone expressing a dislike of him speaking about his own family. Double standard though.

Thanks for putting into words thoughts that I couldn't find the words to express. You've summed things up pretty nicely I think.

Unfortunately, Sarah has always been a person that has always depended on other people and has never really learned to stand on her own two feet as an independent woman and had to clean up her own messes. Its not a bad trait really as there are multitudes of people out there that have this "live for today" way of looking at things and living life. She's just been very fortunate that she has a loving family including a caring ex-husband that has her back should she need it.

Sarah do stand on her own two feet and work hard to make a living for herself. Sure, she's had some failures and messed up a few times, but she gets up, dust herself off and try again. Thank God she have a loving support team around her and don't take pleasure in kicking her when she's down.

She keep herself busy by supporting various charities, being a supportive mom, being a friend to her ex and carrying on with her life. I don't see why folks would even try finding fault with any of this.

Last edited:
This is interesting: I noticed that in the Sydney interview, Sarah says quite clearly that it's not true that she's moved out - she still lives at Royal Lodge. But only in February, her spokesman said she was applying for residency in Switzerland because that was where her permanent residence was, and she would only use Royal Lodge for 'family occasions.'

Sarah Ferguson applies for Swiss residency after moving to her £13m ski chalet - Telegraph

Which is true, I wonder?

17 million may sound like a lot, and it is, but not if you live the kind of lifestyle Diana and other royals/former royals did and do. 600,000 to pay for the running of her household as well, a year. Honestly how much of 17 million do you think would be left after 19 years of divorce? Diana would have had to find other sources of income. And there is no way she would have disappeared into the wood work and become a kindergarten teacher or something not requiring her royal connections.

Perhaps not, but Diana came from a wealthy family and her father and her mother would have left money. Possibly she had lawyers and business advisers for her investments as well. There's no way that Diana would have been reduced to flogging teas and drink machines etc on a US shopping channel.

Diana may have married again, perhaps to a wealthy man. However, even if she didn't, there is no way on this earth that her ex (a future King of England) her sons and the Queen herself wouldn't have (a) injected large sums of money to keep her afloat and (b) brought in financial comptrollers to make sure she kept to a very generous budget.

Andrew and possibly the Queen have helped Sarah out financially since the divorce and there is very little to show for it. However, as the ex of a younger son, she is and was in a very different position financially to a woman whose son will be a future king.

I also don't have a problem with her speaking well about her loved ones. If you're surrounded by a very loving and supportive family, you have every right to be proud and should be able to express your love for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. Her ex-husband do the same when he gets a chance, but I don't see anyone expressing a dislike of him speaking about his own family. Double standard though.
Dman, I enjoy your posts and your kind heart, but alas I am far more cynical about Sarah than you:flowers:
When was the last time Prince Andrew spoke about Sarah and what did he say? The answer is he does not say that she was 'the love of his life' every time he speaks, he does not say that his wedding day was the best day of his life 30 years later, he does not gush with over the top compliments about Sarah, in fact in the last several years he has said not one word about her. So to me it's not a double standard since no one else does what she does - it's name dropping and in her case it's done to sell her latest get rich quick product/scheme.
She may 'love' her family and her ex family but she has zero respect for them and she has no qualms about using them to grift for money (cash for Andrew access ring any bells?)
This is interesting: I noticed that in the Sydney interview, Sarah says quite clearly that it's not true that she's moved out - she still lives at Royal Lodge. But only in February, her spokesman said she was applying for residency in Switzerland because that was where her permanent residence was, and she would only use Royal Lodge for 'family occasions.'
The move to Switzerland/independence theme started when Sarah was launching her weight loss blender/juicer gizmo and being Sarah she expected she'd be an overnight success raking in millions from gullible Americans needing to lose weight just like her weight watchers money making glory days. I don't think her gizmos have been flying off the shelves and I don't know that the hair straightener has done any better - if they had why was she selling the Bently for so little to raise cash?
We'll see how the 'teas' do.
Trotting out the Andrew is the love of my life and we still live together statements wouldn't work when she was pictured everywhere with Manuel on her arm, but he's pretty much gone, so she's back to talking about Andrew.

Comparing Diana and Sarah is like comparing apples and oranges. Diana was the mother to a future monarch, Sarah is mother to two girls who are slipping further and further down the line of succession.
Even if Diana has got into struggles financially (which I doubt as she had the best people looking after her interests) she wouldn't have been allowed to get into a situation where she flogged tat on tv or did doggy deals for access to the royals.
Look at how different it was when two ladies got their divorces, Diana was permitted to continue acting as a sort of 'roving ambassador' for the country doing good charitable work. No such role was there for Sarah who jetted off to America and got paid millions of dollars being an ambassador for weigh watchers.
I'm not saying its right or fair but thats life.

I do wish in a way Sarah would move on and find some nice rich guy so she can lead a quieter life, unfortunately I suspect she would rather be in the limelight than out of it. Wasn't it once said she stated she would never marry as if she does she would loose her title (even though she isn't The Duchess of York she is Sarah, Duchess of York)

Dman, I enjoy your posts and your kind heart, but alas I am far more cynical about Sarah than you:flowers:
When was the last time Prince Andrew spoke about Sarah and what did he say? The answer is he does not say that she was 'the love of his life' every time he speaks, he does not say that his wedding day was the best day of his life 30 years later, he does not gush with over the top compliments about Sarah, in fact in the last several years he has said not one word about her. So to me it's not a double standard since no one else does what she does - it's name dropping and in her case it's done to sell her latest get rich quick product/scheme.
She may 'love' her family and her ex family but she has zero respect for them and she has no qualms about using them to grift for money (cash for Andrew access ring any bells?)

The move to Switzerland/independence theme started when Sarah was launching her weight loss blender/juicer gizmo and being Sarah she expected she'd be an overnight success raking in millions from gullible Americans needing to lose weight just like her weight watchers money making glory days. I don't think her gizmos have been flying off the shelves and I don't know that the hair straightener has done any better - if they had why was she selling the Bently for so little to raise cash?
We'll see how the 'teas' do.
Trotting out the Andrew is the love of my life and we still live together statements wouldn't work when she was pictured everywhere with Manuel on her arm, but he's pretty much gone, so she's back to talking about Andrew.

Andrew do talk about Sarah, especially when he talks about how well and how proud he is of their daughters. He credits Sarah on well the girls are raised. He havent done a family interview in a while though. I think that's due to his recent scandals though. I think it was for his 50th Birthday when he went into detail about their relationship and Sarah's very close relationship with The Queen. I can't believe how many people on the forums and other parts of the net totally dismissed his sincere comments. It was a shame and sad, IMO.

For some odd reason, Sarah and her family are treated badly.

There's nothing wrong with her expressing her love and admiration for her family though. People should be happy that the York's have remained a close and loving family, despite the stuff they've been through.

No one is perfect and Lord knows Sarah has made her mistakes, but I just don't understand this great hate people have for Sarah. She has fallen, mainly due to her own faults, but she always get back up and carry on.

I don't make endless excuses for her mistakes, but I find it a shame her very innocent and sweet comments about her family are turned against her and is made to seem like she's the worst person since Donald Trump.

Have no fear, Dman. No-one could be as bad as Donald Trump! :lol:

Although in previous posts I have seemed to point out a lot of negatives about Sarah, Duchess of York, I have to admit that there is a lot about this woman that I do admire. Maybe she doesn't appear to have a lick of sense when it comes to finances and she's a "live for today" kind of person, perhaps the reason that I can see it so clearly in Sarah is that I can see that in myself. Being on a fixed income, I am allowed no where near a grocery store or I'd be hauling home too much stuff that looks so good rather than just what we really need. Sarah also has, over the years, shown herself to be open, caring and genuinely invested in those she loves and calls her friends. People do seem to really want to be around her. Not everyone can have "the happiest divorce on earth" too.

She's been down, she's made mistakes but she's also had the courage to get back up again and again and forge on ahead and try something different. She's was described as a "breath of fresh air" when she joined the BRF and I think we can still apply that idiom to Sarah today. Of course, when the wind blows, its not always a warm tropical breeze or a fresh, spring breeze but can also be a destructive gale that can sink ships.

Such is life.

Although in previous posts I have seemed to point out a lot of negatives about Sarah, Duchess of York, I have to admit that there is a lot about this woman that I do admire. Maybe she doesn't appear to have a lick of sense when it comes to finances and she's a "live for today" kind of person, perhaps the reason that I can see it so clearly in Sarah is that I can see that in myself. Being on a fixed income, I am allowed no where near a grocery store or I'd be hauling home too much stuff that looks so good rather than just what we really need. Sarah also has, over the years, shown herself to be open, caring and genuinely invested in those she loves and calls her friends. People do seem to really want to be around her. Not everyone can have "the happiest divorce on earth" too.

She's been down, she's made mistakes but she's also had the courage to get back up again and again and forge on ahead and try something different. She's was described as a "breath of fresh air" when she joined the BRF and I think we can still apply that idiom to Sarah today. Of course, when the wind blows, its not always a warm tropical breeze or a fresh, spring breeze but can also be a destructive gale that can sink ships.

Such is life.

Life isn't easy, but Sarah keeps going no matter what.

In regards to Switzerland I got the impression when they bought the chalet there that it was to rent out thus making money or at least to recoup the costs, I think it was even said Bea and Eugenie were in on the deal with money from their trust fund. If Sarah were to move in wouldn't that mean that they just bought Sarah a place to live rather than an investment? The idea of Sarah moving to Switzerland full time never seemed right to me for that reason.

I like Sarah as a person but you can't deny that she's made more than her fair share of mistakes.

Somehow, I just can't picture Sarah being in one place for very long. She's like the butterfly she likes to wear so often and alway flitting off to one place or another and doing this or doing that. That would leave plenty of time for the chalet to be leased out.

I'm beginning to see that this chalet is a family investment for the years ahead. There'll be a time for both Andrew and Sarah to slow down and embrace the golden years and the money invested in the chalet guarantees a more substantial financial portfolio for their two daughters. If anything, I think this is perhaps the wisest investment that Sarah's made so far and with the family all involved, it stands more of a chance to remain a pretty stable investment and also a wonderful bolt hole for any of them to go to and get away from it all.

Sarah continues to support various charities and carry out duties for them.

But, does she do it strictly to benefit the charities?

That is what I would like to know, because I have heard rumors that she receives remuneration for her efforts (buried under administrative costs).

I'd really love to know what the true story is.

That is what I would like to know, because I have heard rumors that she receives remuneration for her efforts (buried under administrative costs).

Don't know anything about that. There are tons of rumors that's been spread about Sarah, but I do know for a fact that she's been involved with charities that's close to her heart for a long time now. She works hard in supporting them, despite her past mistakes and failures. Can't take that away from her.

Don't know anything about that. There are tons of rumors that's been spread about Sarah, but I do know for a fact that she's been involved with charities that's close to her heart for a long time now. She works hard in supporting them, despite her past mistakes and failures. Can't take that away from her.

I can if she's pocketing heavy fees.

(I wouldn't put anything past her, she always seems so greedy, imo).

I can if she's pocketing heavy fees.

(I wouldn't put anything past her, she always seems so greedy, imo).

I doubt it, but people are willing to believe bad things about her. I think her charity work is genuine. She's been doing this since her marriage and she hasn't stopped lending her support to others who need it. It's what royals and ex-royals do.

I know some famous people and politicians do speaking fees. If I was famous or a politician, I would be doing the same and so would many others.

Last edited:

This is what happens in most celeb charities % that really gets to those in need is very low. Massive administration costs

It would be nice for Sarah to co-host on 'The View' again, she is so funny and full of energy.

Perhaps not, but Diana came from a wealthy family and her father and her mother would have left money. Possibly she had lawyers and business advisers for her investments as well. There's no way that Diana would have been reduced to flogging teas and drink machines etc on a US shopping channel.

Diana may have married again, perhaps to a wealthy man. However, even if she didn't, there is no way on this earth that her ex (a future King of England) her sons and the Queen herself wouldn't have (a) injected large sums of money to keep her afloat and (b) brought in financial comptrollers to make sure she kept to a very generous budget.

Andrew and possibly the Queen have helped Sarah out financially since the divorce and there is very little to show for it. However, as the ex of a younger son, she is and was in a very different position financially to a woman whose son will be a future king.

Diana received her inheritance from her father's estate before she divorced.

No one know what Diana would have done had she lived or how the RF or the British public would have treated her.

In 2000, William turned 18.
In 2001, there were stories that they wanted remove all households in KP.
In 2002, QEQM dies and Harry turned 18.

It is wrong to assume that Diana would have been 'taken care' by the BRF or Charles after William and Harry turned 18.

She could well have been in the same boat as Sarah or worse. Beatrice and Eugenie were much younger than William and Harry when their parents divorced.

The Queen helping a 'lost' former daughter-in-law while her grandchildren were still minors is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom