The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, how true. At uni I met and became friends with several children of the wealthy, famous and infamous. We have kept in touch over the years, but it is rare that I accept any kind of invitation they extend. Why? I still feel I need new clothes and a better car (which I don't). Only a couple of those kids failed to become wealthy, famous or infamous. They are nice and fun to be around, but alas, they would need some "keeping up with" on a regular basis.

I understand where Sarah has been sitting all her life.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but you obviously understood that you were not wealthy enough to "keep up" with your friends on a regular basis and did not try to. Sarah apparently never came to that realization and felt entitled to live the life that her wealthy friends did. She has been trying most of her life to live their life and not her own.
There is a rather well known quote frequently attributed to The Queen "you must cut your coat according to your cloth"...in other words live within your means. Sarah just never listened and likely never will.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Courtier

I am jsut amazed at how much she had; a husband who cared and was quite dashing, she had two healthy kids, a fabulous title, security, and she had more coming her way in time. She would have probably had more over time and in time she would have done better. She would have ended up with a better marriage and better relationship with the RF than even Diana had. Even after, she still made more than enough to live off of for the rest of her life if managed wisely.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Courtier

I think Sarah has realised that now but at the time and for the first few years afterwards the money was flowing and she got lot's of attention. I don't think Sarah thinks ahead. Most people would have done the more sensible thing and buy a house and put money away for a rainy day. Sarah just doesn't bother to think about it. In the end she is living at Andrew's house in a guest room and while she can still go on her first class holidays I can't see many people respecting her. The rich friends won't always get her out of trouble you can only put your hand out so many times eventually she will have to face the music by herself!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Majesty

Have anyone ever seen this nice video of Andrew & Sarah? That was a couple who were truly in love.

Royally Speaking
Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Nobility

Two very similar videos, but I hope you enjoy.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Courtier

In the beginning they were clearly in love. But as we know it didn't stay that way.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow
In the beginning they were clearly in love. But as we know it didn't stay that way.
I'm not sure they fell out of love. I think Sarah fell out of love with being a member of the Royal Family.

Nothing I can point to to back up my opinion, just a feeling I have.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm not sure they fell out of love. I think Sarah fell out of love with being a member of the Royal Family.

From all that I've read, it does point more to the fact that she couldn't cope with the "men in grey" and royal life. It didn't help any either that Andy was away for so much of the time but I think knowing Andy was in the Navy, Sarah came to accept that fact and thought they could weather it out.

Perhaps if it had been more like the situation that William and Kate have now where Andy would have been there to share the burdens at the beginning, things might have worked out totally different. As it stands now, its pretty obvious that the two of them share a deep mutual friendship and as Sarah herself has said, they have a happy divorce together or words similar to that.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Majesty

You know, despite their divorce, I really don't think the love and friendship between them ever died. It seems like despite the scandals and all the bad press they've encountered, Andrew & Sarah have managed to keep their family together by loving and supporting each other no matter what.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Have anyone ever seen this nice video of Andrew & Sarah? That was a couple who were truly in love.

Royally Speaking

This is a very sweet video..two lovers flirting...thank you for posting.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Nobility

I haven't been able to watch Dman's video. It doesn't seem to load, all I'm getting is a blank when I click. Anyone got any suggestions or would it be my geographical location, or could someone post a link in some other format?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Serene Highness

I would love to see The Duke of York and Sarah back together
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

While Andrew and Sarah have a good relationship for a divorced couple, and he has been helpful to her in her difficulties, I think when your ex-husband refers to you as his 3rd child he clearly has moved on.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

Andrew was so handsome and dashing back in the day!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Courtier

I seriously wish Prince Andrew finds a nice woman to settle down. Or atleast he should be happy being single for the rest of his life..
Of course there is no way Sarah is gonna re-marry as she cant sell her pseudo-royal status anymore..and globe-trot.
She is the most selfish and manipulating woman..How come right from her Twitter account, to every function and event she attends, she gets herself introduced as Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York..
Doesnt she, having once been at the core of royalty, have a shred of common sense, which I, literally on other side of globe, has..
Will she ever understand Duchess of York is given her in place of her surname..and for God's sake she can never be Sarah Ferguson, who is The Duchess of York..
I guess there is no point of questioning someone who makes a living on fakeness..
I am sure most of you may find it offensive..But I strongly feel this woman is nowhere fit around royalty..
Now please dont justify "others introduce her not her mistake and all"..What about Twitter? And does anyone participate in any show without knowing what is being told about oneself?
All these may feel trivial for some, but for those who love royalty, the words Prince/Princess/Duchess etc. are very precious..And British are gladly one royalty which are very specific and dont loosely use the words Prince/Princess on every individual present in a 3-generation family potrait..
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post

I dont understand why people blame Royal Family for this.Sarah always said "My husband was always at sea" was the reason.. What has this to do with being royal? Do wives of every navy officer do things she has done?

And regarding "men in grey"..Blaming a third person (not even the other man/woman) is the DUMBEST DUMBEST DUMBEST thing you can ever do.. Bad luck she dint have a "crowded marriage" to blame..
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Both British Princes did the same..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know, despite their divorce, I really don't think the love and friendship between them ever died. It seems like despite the scandals and all the bad press they've encountered, Andrew & Sarah have managed to keep their family together by loving and supporting each other no matter what.
Prince Charles never uttered a word against Diana..and did all he could and should for their kids..
Prince Andrew did exactly the same..
But their wives totally behaved in diametrically opposite directions..
Diana blamed Camilla..Sarah blamed Navy and Palace..
Diana made sure people hate and loathe Prince Charles (she is still successful and will be forever)..
Sarah made people sympathise with Andrew as sort of "victim of corcumstance"...
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Well, there's no doubt that Andrew & Sarah have made some mistakes in life. Humans make mistakes and the royals are human.

I'm not going to talk about The Waleses in this forum.

I just personally admire the Yorks for not allowing their mistakes and press rubbish to breakup their family. They have remained a close, loving and supportive family and I think that's great.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Regardless of anyone's personal opinions of Andrew and Sarah, it's my personal opinion that they have achieved the most important success in life -- to raise two well-adjusted and respectful daughters.