Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little_star said:
To a certain degree I think some European Royals do little else, that's not to say all are the same. For example there are many countries especially in the ME where the Royals are the absolute leaders.

Thanks to write your thaughts which are totally obvious. To think that the constitutional monarchy or parlementary monarchy are only cutter ribbon's activities is failing totally to take account the Constitutional Law. In each european country in where you are a Royal Institution you have law's rules to determine the power of the Kings. It's the same at all according the different countries. The single thing that they have in commun is nowaday all the monarchic systems are constitional or parlementary.

Up to the pseudo tax paid to support their golden lived, it's very easy to demonstrate that a President of a Republic is at least so expansive ( in France, it's totally obvious ) and generally speaking in many countries where a President is elected, he/she very often emane from such or such financial lobby(ies) Today we know some very important countries which have a President who is the true emanation of a specific lobby. I think it's not necessary that I give a name!

I think today monarchy is achieving a great popularity and the royal families are becoming more and more atractive to the public eye. Many times we forgot that they live to serve their country! Monarchy can still exerce some influence on decisions, however my honest opinion is that their role, their mission (Filipe and Letizia's) main role is a pure symbolic role! Is like a fairy tale that everyone wants to live, their mission is to attend everyday assigments but and then?? What is the main purpose of that?Everything has is own purpose!Publicity?I think Royal familys nowadays must have a more active role in each country and then justify why they don't pay taxes, why they live on beautiful fairy tale Palaces and that they are not an antiquated system! Tradition is not how it used to be regarding Mocharchy. Now the king is not the supreme leader, so what is his role and what for their work?

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
Now the king is not the supreme leader, so what is his role and what for their work?

in summary:

First, representation (like the Portugal president) and they are the best ambassadors and public relations from Spain: promote businesses, the spanish culture, tourism, sport, etc...

If they weren't it would be necessary to pay to other people to make his work, the difference is that they do it better and cheaper.

(sorry for my Inglish)

biboquinhas said:
I think today monarchy is achieving a great popularity and the royal families are becoming more and more atractive to the public eye. Many times we forgot that they live to serve their country! Monarchy can still exerce some influence on decisions, however my honest opinion is that their role, their mission (Filipe and Letizia's) main role is a pure symbolic role! Is like a fairy tale that everyone wants to live, their mission is to attend everyday assigments but and then?? What is the main purpose of that?Everything has is own purpose!Publicity?I think Royal familys nowadays must have a more active role in each country and then justify why they don't pay taxes, why they live on beautiful fairy tale Palaces and that they are not an antiquated system! Tradition is not how it used to be regarding Mocharchy. Now the king is not the supreme leader, so what is his role and what for their work?
Don't you think you are contradicting yourself?

No, I don't think so. Biboquinhas is right, and I think there isn't any contradicting in her message. The fact is that there are different kinds of Monarchies even today, and that if we may criticize most of them we have very honorable examples to show the great popularity of this institution and of some of her representants. And Biboquinhas is also saying that Queens, Kings and Princes must do more than they do, to justify the place they have in society.She is not saying that she doesn't like Monarchs and Princes, just criticizing some of their defaults . If they should change some of their behaviours, and being more active, this one should be the Century where the Monarchy should have the love of the peoples of the world back.

In my personal case, I'm a Monarchist, but I think that Monarchs and Princes must let aside selfishness , expensive parties, and star-movie life to devoted to their countries in a very hard moment in the humanity history. They are the natural leaders of their peoples.

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
No, I don't think so. Biboquinhas is right, and I think there isn't any contradicting in her message. The fact is that there are different kinds of Monarchies even today, and that if we may criticize most of them we have very honorable examples to show the great popularity of this institution and of some of her representants. And Biboquinhas is also saying that Queens, Kings and Princes must do more than they do, to justify the place they have in society.She is not saying that she doesn't like Monarchs and Princes, just criticizing some of their defaults . If they should change some of their behaviours, and being more active, this one should be the Century where the Monarchy should have the love of the peoples of the world back.

In my personal case, I'm a Monarchist, but I think that Monarchs and Princes must let aside selfishness , expensive parties, and star-movie life to devoted to their countries in a very hard moment in the humanity history. They are the natural leaders of their peoples.

Vanesa.

Could you please clarify which Monarchs and Princes you are referring to? Also, do you have specific areas of work in mind when you say that 'they' should be active and that 'they' should change some of their behavior? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think we simply cannot lump all monarchies together as they have different histories, some are more, some are less settled and they have a different level of acceptance in public. The ruling generation and their heirs have to respond to these circumstances.

Given Spain is a quite unstable monchary, Felipe and Letizia have to work harder or behave better or give more justification to be there than others have to do. Don't think they would get away with a lot of things that are ok in other monarchies, just a few examples: Can you imagine pictures of Felipe stumbeling drunken out of a nightclub as the young generation of the Windsors almost weekly does? No way in Spain but in Britain no one bothers, not even about much worse things where other family members were involved. Felipe getting married to a single mother with a shady past? No way in Spain but Norway is tolerant enough to accept MM and I think she's doing very well and she's very much liked by the public. Felipe getting married to a foreign woman whose father has a shady political past? Felipe divorcing and remarrying a divcorced woman? Felipe only doing a few events per month and sailing around the world instead? There are endless examples that show how difficult the climate is for the Spanish monarchy. Other countries are much more lucky in that sense - but of course it doesn't mean that their royals can do whatever they want or behave badly all the time and most of them don't. It's just that they have much more credit in the eyes of the public - no one questions the monarchy itself for these reasons because of its long history.

Too bad for F & L that they have to work so hard and cannot be sure that their efforts will be rewarded in the future.

Last edited:
Duke of Marmalade said:
I think we simply cannot lump all monarchies together as they have different histories, some are more, some are less settled and they have a different level of acceptance in public. The ruling generation and their heirs have to respond to these circumstances.

Given Spain is a quite unstable monchary, Felipe and Letizia have to work harder or behave better or give more justification to be there than others have to do. Don't think they would get away with a lot of things that are ok in other monarchies, just a few examples: Can you imagine pictures of Felipe stumbeling drunken out of a nightclub as the young generation of the Windsors almost weekly does? No way in Spain but in Britain no one bothers, not even about much worse things where other family members were involved. Felipe getting married to a single mother with a shady past? No way in Spain but Norway is tolerant enough to accept MM and I think she's doing very well and she's very much liked by the public. Felipe getting married to a foreign woman whose father has a shady political past? Felipe divorcing and remarrying a divcorced woman? Felipe only doing a few events per month and sailing around the world instead? There are endless examples that show how difficult the climate is for the Spanish monarchy. Other countries are much more lucky in that sense - but of course it doesn't mean that their royals can do whatever they want or behave badly all the time and most of them don't. It's just that they have much more credit in the eyes of the public - no one questions the monarchy itself for these reasons because of its long history.

Too bad for F & L that they have to work so hard and cannot be sure that their efforts will be rewarded in the future.

Very good points, Duke of Marmelade! :flowers:
I defintiely can't see the Prince of Asturias getting away with most of the things you mentioned. And I definitely can't picture him stumbling drunken from a club. :lol:
Though he did quite an unexpected thing, when he married a divorcee.
The Prince and Prince of Asturias are the most hardworking Crown Princely couple in Europe (by the number of duties and official acts they have), after the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, so I think they understand the importance of their position.
They are not perfect of course, no one is, but I think they are doing their best, which is already quite a lot. :)

Excellent posts Duke of Marmalade and Avalon.

Out of the current crop of CP's imo Felipe and Letizia face the biggest challenge and they are both working hard to defeat this.

Little_star said:
Out of the current crop of CP's imo Felipe and Letizia face the biggest challenge and they are both working hard to defeat this.

And, in my opinion, this was what motivated the Royal House to work on the "team" aspect of their marriage and not just send them to events separately.

I think that it was a gesture so that Felipe could "train" Letizia on the field, and also introduce her in several different circles and to several different causes and types of acts, and also, maybe, to put in people's minds the notion that Felipe and Letizia are working together and also committed together with Spain and Spaniards.

Besides, Spain has a very active Queen and rather active Infantas, so, some adjusting needed to be done in regards to the position Letizia would have in regards to the acts she would get by herself.

Vanesa said:
In my personal case, I'm a Monarchist, but I think that Monarchs and Princes must let aside selfishness, expensive parties, and star-movie life to devoted to their countries in a very hard moment in the humanity history. They are the natural leaders of their peoples.

Yes, they're the natural leaders of their people and it was exactly because of that that every single member of the royal family lived a whole week (or more, if I recall correctly), just around March 11th and its consequences. It was because of that that several festivities programmed in connection with Felipe and Letizia's wedding were cancelled and why the wedding had a rather "solemn" tone and both a wedding and a mass honoring those victims.

I really have to think hard to remember one single tragical occasion that happened in Spain or involving Spaniards in the last few years where the Royal Family would not be present.

They were there to send food and medicine to the victims of the Tsunami, they were there to honor the Spanish soldiers killed in the war, they were there to support the families of the victims of a gas leaking and also on the occasion in which a bus had crashed and children were hospitalized because of it.

So I really fail to see here all the "selfishness, expensive parties, and star-movie life" that the Spanish Royal family is leading instead of being in connection to their people and trying to solve some of the issues they can in order to make the Spaniards lives better.

Avalon said:
Very good points, Duke of Marmelade! :flowers:
I defintiely can't see the Prince of Asturias getting away with most of the things you mentioned. And I definitely can't picture him stumbling drunken from a club. :lol:
Though he did quite an unexpected thing, when he married a divorcee.
The Prince and Prince of Asturias are the most hardworking Crown Princely couple in Europe (by the number of duties and official acts they have), after the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, so I think they understand the importance of their position.
They are not perfect of course, no one is, but I think they are doing their best, which is already quite a lot. :)

Thanks for your response Avalon :flowers: Regarding Felipe marrying a divorcee, how true, that was very brave of him. I don't think his parents, especially his mother, were too pleased at the beginning. I always thought Felipe was kind of weak and a Mama's boy but here it seems he fought hard for what he believed in and he was right. Don't think though that he had gotten away with marrying a divorcee who had already been married in church, that would have been much of a different situation ... good for them that Letizia was not too much into Catholicism in the past ;)

Having said that I always thought of Felipe being weak and Letizia wearing the pants and tell him what to do I believe this has changed or was never the case. In the past two years I had the impression that although they appear to be team players, at the end of the day he is in charge. But maybe this is just the result of hard work after the blunders Letizia had in the beginning ("let me finish" or "do you think I am unhappy") and the conclusion that it's wiser to appear in public according to their roles as CP and consort, a team but he is in the driver's seat.

Anna_R said:
And, in my opinion, this was what motivated the Royal House to work on the "team" aspect of their marriage and not just send them to events separately.

I think that it was a gesture so that Felipe could "train" Letizia on the field, and also introduce her in several different circles and to several different causes and types of acts, and also, maybe, to put in people's minds the notion that Felipe and Letizia are working together and also committed together with Spain and Spaniards.

Besides, Spain has a very active Queen and rather active Infantas, so, some adjusting needed to be done in regards to the position Letizia would have in regards to the acts she would get by herself.
My sentiments exactly.

I find the consstant criticism of Letizia working with Felipe baffling to say the least. They are involved in such important and serious issues and yet some people seem to overlook this. Moreover there are millions of women out there who work with their husbands and partners. Should they be condemned as well?

Anna_R said:
Yes, they're the natural leaders of their people and it was exactly because of that that every single member of the royal family lived a whole week (or more, if I recall correctly), just around March 11th and its consequences. It was because of that that several festivities programmed in connection with Felipe and Letizia's wedding were cancelled and why the wedding had a rather "solemn" tone and both a wedding and a mass honoring those victims.

I really have to think hard to remember one single tragical occasion that happened in Spain or involving Spaniards in the last few years where the Royal Family would not be present.

They were there to send food and medicine to the victims of the Tsunami, they were there to honor the Spanish soldiers killed in the war, they were there to support the families of the victims of a gas leaking and also on the occasion in which a bus had crashed and children were hospitalized because of it.

So I really fail to see here all the "selfishness, expensive parties, and star-movie life" that the Spanish Royal family is leading instead of being in connection to their people and trying to solve some of the issues they can in order to make the Spaniards lives better.
I've always enjoyed your posts but this particular post is one of the best I've read on this forum in a long time.

The SRF seem closest to their people in many ways, imo mainly becasue they seem to connect with their people. I could not imagine my Queen crying at a funeral for soldiers or at a memorial for terrorist victims. It shows how much they empathise with people which can only be a positive.

Duke of Marmalade said:
Given Spain is a quite unstable monchary, Felipe and Letizia have to work harder or behave better or give more justification to be there than others have to do. Don't think they would get away with a lot of things that are ok in other monarchies,
Touching, I feel like bringing out the spanish flag with this as backround music:D On the other hand there are things that the spanish royals can get away with that some other royals cant, some examples, Accpeting free cars and even posing in them for the press at the factory, Accepting free multimillion euros Yachts from business men, Watching animals torutured as entertainment, hunting protected and endangered animals (drunk or sober) abroad....So I simply does not buy this the spanish are so much holier than the rest of the royals:neutral:

Larzen said:
Touching, I feel like bringing out the spanish flag with this as backround music:D On the other hand there are things that the spanish royals can get away with that some other royals cant, some examples, Accpeting free cars and even posing in them for the press at the factory, Accepting free multimillion euros Yachts from business men, Watching animals torutured as entertainment, hunting protected and endangered animals (drunk or sober) abroad....So I simply does not buy this the spanish are so much holier than the rest of the royals:neutral:

:lol: I agree Larzen, but only for JC who is a bit untouchable for what he did for Spain. The question is if Felipe will get away with stuff like this too. Once the heavyweight in Spanish monarchy is gone Felipe will be struggling to keep such "privileges" or keep the press calm and quiet and prevent them from pointing at certain things. I think the old man has a lot of power behind the scenes that is not automatically inherited by his son.

Last edited:
Since more one year I'm trying to understand people who give a negative opinion about the Princes of Asturias and I'm unable to reach at an acceptable summary. The reasons are very simple. Quiet none of the detractors of the Princes use the good problematic. When the question is "what's your opinion about Felipe et Letizia?" - question very clear!- they answer critisizing the anachronism of the monarchy, the way of life of all the royal family and in particular these of the King himself ( see Larzen but it's not new)
The level of the analysis is both simple and complicated: simple because you have to answer judging only two persons Felipe and Letizia; complicated because you have to exposed why you don't like them according that they are in their public life - their private life don't be considere in this kind of appreciation- More, if you want to do relevant observations, you have to check your informations, for example about their works - it's easy, go to the web of the Royal House - and, it's the most important part of a good analysis, make your appreciation according the time concept, because all that I can read about, for instance the fact that Letizia don't have, for the moment, enough works alone seems to me absolutly superficial.

If this thread stay on the equation not demonstrated : the Princes are odious privileged persons who take advantage of an anachronic system without of their part any dedication, works, patriotic involvement and sens of the state that the have to represent, it's a true hollow speech.

Unless that I don't understand the topic of this thread which is: " what do you think about the monarchy ?"

Last edited:
Larzen said:

All the privileges you mentioned above are only for the King. BTW, you also forgot to mention being untouchable from the press, which is a great privilege. ;) ;) ;)

I don't think the Spanish Royal Family is "untouchable"...And even if criticizing could be a god, constructive thing, it also could be a negative one. Just remember what happened in XVIII Century, when it was "very chic" to criticize the Queen, the King and the Royal Family. All here knows that all the critizing didn't begin among poor people, who in fact fighted for their Monarchs when Revolution would come. It was the arrogant nobility, some irresponsible intellectuals, and snobs...And when they found out what they've done, it was too late and their heads were running down the staircases. I can say almost the regarding Russian case, in 1917.

My critics always were toward the way that Royals are lacking their nobility to become "common people", but not against Monarchy and Royals who behave like Royals. When I criticize Prince Felipe is for I see him too much "the next door guy", but others criticizes him exactly for the opposite: for even now, he is "too royal for them".

And no need to laugh about people who respects their Monarchs . If you feels that a message defending Royalty needs an Hymn and a flag going up...well; what's the matter? Loving your country, your flag and your hymn is so bad?My respect and congratulations for all patriot people in the world!

Vanesa.

adelaide said:
Since more one year I'm trying to understand people who give a negative opinion about the Princes of Asturias and I'm unable to reach at an acceptable summary. The reasons are very simple. Quiet none of the detractors of the Princes use the good problematic. When the question is "what's your opinion about Felipe et Letizia?" - question very clear!- they answer critisizing the anachronism of the monarchy, the way of life of all the royal family and in particular these of the King himself ( see Larzen but it's not new)
The level of the analysis is both simple and complicated: simple because you have to answer judging only two persons Felipe and Letizia; complicated because you have to exposed why you don't like them according that they are in their public life - their private life don't be considere in this kind of appreciation- More, if you want to do relevant observations, you have to check your informations, for example about their works - it's easy, go to the web of the Royal House - and, it's the most important part of a good analysis, make your appreciation according the time concept, because all that I can read about, for instance the fact that Letizia don't have, for the moment, enough works alone seems to me absolutly superficial.

If this thread stay on the equation not demonstrated : the Princes are odious privileged persons who take advantage of an anachronic system without of their part any dedication, works, patriotic involvement and sens of the state that the have to represent, it's a true hollow speech.

Unless that I don't understand the topic of this thread which is: " what do you think about the monarchy ?"

Adelaide

"What is your opinion about F & L" is a very general question and people have very different motivations to give their opinions regarding the Princes of Asturias. Why should there be any restrictions as long as the basis of these opinions somehow touches one the many issues the Princes are involved in?

IMO given that F & L are the Spanish Crown Princes, the circumstances surrounding the Spanish monarchy have to be taken into consideration when judging them because those circumstances play a major part in their public appearances. Most of their actions are controlled by Zarzuela (= Head office of the Spanish Monarchy) - including Letizia’s much discussed "solo agenda" - so why not include this fact in the opinion that is given?

Comments on Felipe and Letizia in relation to their role in the Spanish Monarchy IMO do belong in this thread - and expressing criticism shouldn’t make someone a "detractor".

If Felipe & Letizia are only to be judged on what they do according to the website of the Royal House - and no one questions that they do a lot and work hard for Spain - this thread would sound like Wow they work so hard and they do so much, much more than other CPs and they are such a good team – thankfully the header of this thread allows a bigger picture to look at them.

Duke of Marmalade said:
:lol: I agree Larzen, but only for JC who is a bit untouchable for what he did for Spain. The question is if Felipe will get away with stuff like this too. Once the heavyweight in Spanish monarchy is gone Felipe will be struggling to keep such "privileges" or keep the press calm and quiet and prevent them from pointing at certain things. I think the old man has a lot of power behind the scenes that is not automatically inherited by his son.
It's almost like you are typing out my own thoughts!

That's the way I see things as well. Ithink Felipe will face an uphill battle once his father dies purely because J-C is such a force to be reckoned with.

mapian said:
in summary:

First, representation (like the Portugal president) and they are the best ambassadors and public relations from Spain: promote businesses, the spanish culture, tourism, sport, etc...

If they weren't it would be necessary to pay to other people to make his work, the difference is that they do it better and cheaper.

(sorry for my Inglish)
Ambassadors and Public Relations: I think there are also other kind of people to do that, maybe our sports winners can do that for our country. Countrys who doesn't have a Royal family also have their businesses promoters.

chuchu said:
Don't you think you are contradicting yourself?
Maybe what I intend to say is that all Royal familys are becoming mucht more famous because of all the glamour that is around them! Because of all the fashion clothes they wear, because of the many famous events they attend and not because of something useful they do for their country.Just my opinion, please don't get me wrong!

Duke of Marmalade said:
I cannot say that they work so hard! Just because they attend mettings, they attend audiences, I think their work should be mucht more than this. Do they do something after that to make this world a better place? Maybe doing some work to collect funds for the ones who need, maybe after visiting some hospitals and other health institutions try to do something for them, organize events to help them, maybe do some charity work, some programmes to prevent.... Maybe doing some real work, then I would say that a Royal work is worth while!

Duke of Marmalade said:
Adelaide

"What is your opinion about F & L" is a very general question and people have very different motivations to give their opinions regarding the Princes of Asturias. Why should there be any restrictions as long as the basis of these opinions somehow touches one the many issues the Princes are involved in?

IMO given that F & L are the Spanish Crown Princes, the circumstances surrounding the Spanish monarchy have to be taken into consideration when judging them because those circumstances play a major part in their public appearances. Most of their actions are controlled by Zarzuela (= Head office of the Spanish Monarchy) - including Letizia’s much discussed "solo agenda" - so why not include this fact in the opinion that is given?

Comments on Felipe and Letizia in relation to their role in the Spanish Monarchy IMO do belong in this thread - and expressing criticism shouldn’t make someone a "detractor".

If Felipe & Letizia are only to be judged on what they do according to the website of the Royal House - and no one questions that they do a lot and work hard for Spain - this thread would sound like Wow they work so hard and they do so much, much more than other CPs and they are such a good team – thankfully the header of this thread allows a bigger picture to look at them.

I'm sorry but I think that you don't have understand my purposes and I know I'm guilty it's because sometimes my english is totally understanble - lack of practice.

That I want to say when you have to appreciate people is you have some and different levels to analyse who they are. First the appearence, then the behaviour, and if you want to give a relevant opinion to make your observation according an environment which determine who they are and for what they are. It's totally elementary. Far away of me the idea that we don't have to speak about the monarquia to settle up the portrait of the Princes of Asturias, it will be totally stupid of my part. Idem, it will totally irrelevant to avoid the "image du père" to try to find the "image du fils" . As you know in the life all is link. It's the reason why formated arguments are also whithout ANY interest to defend or to criticize.

All the arguments are good if they are based on sensible reflexions and not on the same enenuration of hacknayed cliché of " Royals" immature daddy's boy " sprawling/walling in the luxe, the privileges at the community national's expenses.

As you know if you are a british citizen, the english monarchy cost the equivalent of a litre of milk to the english people, the spanish monarchy cost less 22 centimes of €uro to the spanish people. What the trubble if some represents of the industrial world want to offer some somptous gift to the Kind to thank him for the dedication to their country. It's so little thing regarding the amount of the international and honest transactions made by the great firms and is so little thing regarding the way of life of the magnats of the industry. but it's not the problem. It's so little thing if the King is making to sale

The true problem, and in my opinion is the challenge give by the constitution and by the facts to a young men - Felipe - who is not, may be, the most clever person of his generation, but not the least- to overcome all the contradictions of his country and after the reign whithout any precedent of his father, to become a king in a country which don't seem to have accepted all its crisis of identity. In my opinion too, the first act which can give us a precise idea about him, is his wedding. To know how and by whom you have to surround you is the key of your succes.

It's for that I think that the question which make nervous a lot of participants of this thread: the own work of Letizia is not now very important because, she has yet work in the back office and in time more or less short, it will be obvious that the question will becoming totally obsolete : why do you want to put the cart before the horse?

I regret in this thread that quiet none of the " detractators"- generic word, not very appropriate as all generic word, but useful to avoid long sentence- of the Princely couple don't take the time to read the serious press, to take the informations at reliable sources and to have most part of the time preconceived ideas conveyed by the tabloids or all others pink press whithout to looking for understanding the structures and the components of the politic, economic, cultural and social life in Spain. The Spain is not only a country of Catels and others bull races!

To end, you are totally right, it's not good to lock a subject in a single way to thaught but with the condition that you don't stay with the same argument even is still irrelevant.

biboquinhas said:
I cannot say that they work so hard! Just because they attend mettings, they attend audiences, I think their work should be mucht more than this. Do they do something after that to make this world a better place? Maybe doing some work to collect funds for the ones who need, maybe after visiting some hospitals and other health institutions try to do something for them, organize events to help them, maybe do some charity work, some programmes to prevent.... Maybe doing some real work, then I would say that a Royal work is worth while!

I do think they work hard and I think that they do more things behind the scenes that we might be aware of.

Attending meetings or audiences of all kind of organisations / charities / projects can lead to much more in the end, therefore it's important to be in contact with people who are involved and to be kept informed on an ongoing basis. The SRF does a lot of support for any kind of good causes for Spain and I would call this "real work". "Making the world a better place" is not the right term but "Making SPAIN a better place" is and must be the motto of the SRF as it represents their right to exist.

I don't expect them to be Spain's Bob Geldof or Bono - IMO their work has to be well balanced, always keeping Spain as a whole in mind and we shouldn't forget the fact that they cannot express their opinions on many things in public - not very helpful sometimes.

Duke of Marmalade said:

Exactly. And there is a phenomenon, that is always annoying me with Letizia and Felipe and the court. JC doesn´t seem to care much for the ppl´s opinion. As long as only he can have fun, everything is fine. As it seems the incident in the parliament is helping forever. And since JC is doing his job, and since Spain is a wealthy state these days and since he is behaving as if he can´t do wrong, also the ppl seem to think so.

Felipe (and Letizia) on the other hand are often behaving so submissive. The court is answering the most silly questions on them. With this "behaviour of victims" they are just even more enforcing, that the press isn´t respecting them. Yes, so far Felipe hadn´t done really impressive things, that could fill history books, but I don´t see a reason to duck down so much.

Other than that, I´m generally impressed by their working ethics and while I was quite skeptically in the beginning, I´m thinking now, that they are really made for each other and very much in love. They are definitely having the most serious "take me to the next room"-looks of the crown princely couples ;)
And they have currently the cutest and funniest toddler. But that might be the age. 1-3 is such a wonderfully non-submissive age ;)

BTW it´s always quite funny to check the avatars in Letizia/Mary discussions firstly and then to read the posts. Actually there is no need to do that anymore. One could also let the avatars speak :D

adelaide said:
I'm sorry but I think that you don't have understand my purposes and I know I'm guilty it's because sometimes my english is totally understanble - lack of practice.

It's for that I think that the question which make nervous a lot of participants of this thread: the own work of Letizia is not now very important because, she has yet work in the back office and in time more or less short, it will be obvious that the question will becoming totally obsolete : why do you want to put the cart before the horse?

I regret in this thread that quiet none of the " detractators"- generic word, not very appropriate as all generic word, but useful to avoid long sentence- of the Princely couple don't take the time to read the serious press, to take the informations at reliable sources and to have most part of the time preconceived ideas conveyed by the tabloids or all others pink press whithout to looking for understanding the structures and the components of the politic, economic, cultural and social life in Spain. The Spain is not only a country of Catels and others bull races!

Hi Adelaide, thanks for your post. I think your English is very well understandable and there are many non native speakers on this forum who are not "perfect" – me included – and I don’t think there is something wrong with that. I always enjoy your posts as they contain a lot of deep reflection.

I have to admit that I am one of those who think that Letizia is what I once called a missed chance and I don’t want to repeat my previous posts. She has done more or less three events on her own in three years and I am not so confident that there will be a massive change in the next three years. I find it sad for her but I also see the danger that just in case Felipe will be King much faster than he hopes he will be, Letizia will be Queen. She has once spoken of the “priceless example of the Queen” and one day she will have to fill these shoes. We all hope there are many more years to come for JC but who knows? In the past three years, Letizia hasn’t even started to get a profile of her own - although it seems it’s not up to her - but the later she starts the harder it will be for her to follow in Queen Sofia’s footsteps. I know it’s not fair to compare, all I say is she should start rather today than tomorrow because of what will be some day. At the moment, people see her only as a consort behind her husband and she will have to be so much more in the future.

Regarding the press issue, of course you are right, but I see it more relaxed. Serious press is important, I agree, but the yellow press should not be ignored, especially in Spain. Zarzuela seems to have quite an influence on the serious press and if we only listen to them there is the danger of reading only what they want us to read. Besides, yellow press is fun. I always get a good laugh and there you can read – apart from the lies - about the stuff that is true but not interesting enough for the serious press. So I guess a good balance is a very important :flowers:

Duke of Marmalade said:
I have to admit that I am one of those who think that Letizia is what I once called a missed chance and I don’t want to repeat my previous posts. She has done more or less three events on her own in three years and I am not so confident that there will be a massive change in the next three years. I find it sad for her but I also see the danger that just in case Felipe will be King much faster than he hopes he will be, Letizia will be Queen. She has once spoken of the “priceless example of the Queen” and one day she will have to fill these shoes. We all hope there are many more years to come for JC but who knows? In the past three years, Letizia hasn’t even started to get a profile of her own - although it seems it’s not up to her - but the later she starts the harder it will be for her to follow in Queen Sofia’s footsteps. I know it’s not fair to compare, all I say is she should start rather today than tomorrow because of what will be some day. At the moment, people see her only as a consort behind her husband and she will have to be so much more in the future.

Regarding the press issue, of course you are right, but I see it more relaxed. Serious press is important, I agree, but the yellow press should not be ignored, especially in Spain. Zarzuela seems to have quite an influence on the serious press and if we only listen to them there is the danger of reading only what they want us to read. Besides, yellow press is fun. I always get a good laugh and there you can read – apart from the lies - about the stuff that is true but not interesting enough for the serious press. So I guess a good balance is a very important :flowers:

For your first point, I'm not totally agree: it's not because the Princess of Asturias has mad only two important speeches in two years and three own acts thet she didn't had no more importance than a consort.
In my opinion, The major point of Felipe is he know how to chose his entourage by begining his spouse. More the glamourous and beautifulness - which is totally tactible - of Letizia, he had found a "pro" of information; in fact a pro in the analysis, the processing of the news. As you know in each system of government, the leader is quiet often complemented with a "éminence grise" ( for instance in France the very famous Father Joseph, éminence grise of Richelieu ) I don't want to say that Letizia is the Felipe's " éminence grise" but she is his best asset because she is in the same time his mirror ( to improve his image ) his dialoguist ( to extend his influence net ) his informant ( to learn to him somthing about people that may be he don't know vrey well because his rank)

More generally speaking, by his wedding he had gave some guarantees of self suffenciencies of thaught ( what some of journalists of the yellow press had called frivolity or irresponsability ) His choice of a cerebral woman, who take the time to be a fantastic mother before to be the first on some little part of the front, is the proof he is right. We can find an other proof on the pertinence of his life's choice, in a recent sound where the King Juan Carlos was elected as the Spanish Men of all the time - the Queen Sofia is n°5, the Prince Felipe n°7 - in front historic writers, political leaders, historic explorators, the Princess of Asturias is n°14 in front of Zapatero and far away of Aznar. I prefer this opinion rather these of people who think it's owful that Letizia is a divorced woman or it's a true shame to have as a futur chief of state th pur product of the decadent gotha.

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
Ambassadors and Public Relations: I think there are also other kind of people to do that, maybe our sports winners can do that for our country. Countrys who doesn't have a Royal family also have their businesses promoters.

Yes, but they are expensives, more that a RF like SRF. They deserve the payment and they are more effective, have the advantage of the permanence in the time, preparation, popularity, availability, etc... professionalism at end. If a country has a respetable and working Monarchy, it has a treasure.

Last edited:
Lena said:
Felipe (and Letizia) on the other hand are often behaving so submissive. The court is answering the most silly questions on them. With this "behaviour of victims" they are just even more enforcing, that the press isn´t respecting them. Yes, so far Felipe hadn´t done really impressive things, that could fill history books, but I don´t see a reason to duck down so much

Exactly. When Letizia got critizised for wearing an Armani suit on her engagement day it must have left an enormous impact. As a result, I can't recall her wearing world class design ever since while Elena wears foreign designerwear almost all the time and nobody cares. Letizia should be an ambassador for Spanish Design but not exclusively - and there must be more creative people around Spain than Varela whose boring designs she has been showing off in the last three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom