Proclamation of King Felipe VI: June 19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was really lucky to watch the entire proclamation on a live stream. Don't ask me how, I'm not that technologically savvy and missed the formal Abdication. But, joy of joys, there was no distracting commentators, just the sounds of what was happening.

My first impression was how regal Felipe looked and how Letizia had hit the mark perfectly with her spectacular ensemble (braids and star earrings notwithstanding). From a lot of the comments about her coat, and and looking at the photos, I can only say the Flash Photography is definitely not your friend. They made Letizia's ensemble look hard white and the crystal embrodery pink, whereas to me, she looked to be wearing a blush colour with clear crystals starting out sprinkled around her shoulders and deepening in sparkling colour until at the neck they were gorgeous red and gold. Spain's colours I believe.

My second impression was a moment of regret that she did not stand beside him in the open car as her diminutive height made her hard to see and standing she would have in no way eclipsed him.

My third impression was . . . ouch as I watched Philepe and Letizia "shaking hands". (The video posted earlier showed poor Letizia's hand verifying the pain). But the variety of ways this was accomplished really intrigued me.

1. There were traditional correct clipped bows to Felipe and a kiss to Letizia's hand.
  2. There were beautifully executed curtseys to both, enough to fill an entire thread of bowing and curtseying.
  3. There were handshakes that took Letizia's hand so high it was above her head.
  4. There were starstruck uncoordinated stumbles and incoherent mumbles to both P and L.
  5. And last, and to me the most interesting, those who you could almost hear saying to themselves, "I'm not bowing or curtseying to anyone", and promptly found themselves doing exactly that. The realisation that their countrymen were watching around the world and the solemnity of the occasion led them to resort to that old world courtesy that spoke of their real feelings about the new King and Queen.
  6. And somewhere, in the mix, there was a Cardinal and a Bishop (I think) and both Felipe and Letizia kissed their rings instead.
And to those of the eww . . . yuk persuasion:
The person kissing bows towards the offered hand and (symbolically) touches the knuckles with their lips, while lightly holding the offered hand. However, the lips do not actually touch the hand in modern tradition. The gesture is short, lasting less than a second.

All in all, a very good start to a new reign. I loved that the crowds chanted Felipe, Felipe, and when he got in the car the cheers went up as he became visible almost above the horse guard. He seemed quite taken aback.

:ohmy:Now I think I know why Queen Elizabeth wears gloves all the time, oh that looks so painful, Felipe needs to give her a hand rub with some great warming hand creme tonight with a nice glass of wine..............
Or hire a stunt double.:p

I LOOOVE LOOOVE LOOOVE this pic.
This is the second they are preparing to present themselves to THEIR Spanish People - and they are doing in Hand in Hand. There cannot be more positive faith in a new reign than it is shown in this pic.
The most moving pic of the entire ceremony.

And for sure not posed. Just showing the Special Moment :wub::wub::wub:......
BYe Bine

Unbelievable..... have never seen that, what a pain this must have been.... and she is still smiling to everyone.
Nobody should (negatively) comment the Absence of Rings any more
BYe Bine
I agree. When I have rings and I shake hands too much, it hurts. So imagine to shake 2,000 hands, it would've been so painfull (even without rings, her hands were so hurt already). We cannot forget that there are people out there that shake hands with so much strenght like there is no tomorow :ermm:

She endured it well:flowers:

I LOOOVE LOOOVE LOOOVE this pic.
This is the second they are preparing to present themselves to THEIR Spanish People - and they are doing in Hand in Hand. There cannot be more positive faith in a new reign than it is shown in this pic.
The most moving pic of the entire ceremony.

And for sure not posed. Just showing the Special Moment :wub::wub::wub:......
BYe Bine
:kiss::kiss::in_love::in_love::wub::wub::heart::heart:I also LOVE THIS PICTURE, I saved in my files with the rest of my favorite royals. They are truly the hope of Spain, I am so in love with both of them, he is so good looking and she well what words can best describe her, strong, intelligent, savy, beautiful, nobody's fool, and together they will overcome all that has happened in the last few years. Tons of sugar for this lovely couple.

Looks to me that he is frowning because the sun is in his eyes! We all do that and it doesn't mean we are sad.

I read one witty online comment that he was reacting to the news that Spain were out of the World Cup!!

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will attend tomorrow afternoon a private mass in the chapel of Zarzuela Palace on the occasion of the proclamation of the new king.

Los cuatro Reyes asisten este domingo a una misa en Zarzuela tras la proclamaci?n - ABC.es

Oh that's very nice indeed, like Juan Carlos a Mass a few days after the proclamation. Although it is a private Mass, this, I think is in keeping with the Pope's preferences for humility and simplicity etc.

This is very pleasing. Asking the blessing of God, and the Church at the beginning of the new reign seems apt, and appropriate.

This is my favourite photo of the day too!

I have a question: The King's uniform quite decreated with orders, military applications etc plus sash, does anyone know what a Queen would wear in this case? A military suit or long dress with applications and sash? Thanks.

Duke, the event was a bit of a mixture of two protocols, they were not very strict, so it did not matter much.

The men were in dark suits, morning dress or normal suit, and all the women were in short dress.

Initially it was announced that he would wear a uniform of lower gala, which usually wore King Juan Carlos ... but in the end they changed it.

With the uniform of King Felipe, the queen could wear long dress... but being an act in the morning, and having another protocol for all women, she chose short.

Queen Letizia wore the miniature of the "Order of Carlos III".

Duke, the event was a bit of a mixture of two protocols, they were not very strict, so it did not matter much.

The men were in dark suits, morning dress or normal suit, and all the women were in short dress.

Initially it was announced that he would wear a uniform of lower gala, which usually wore King Juan Carlos ... but in the end they changed it.

With the uniform of King Felipe, the queen could wear long dress... but being an act in the morning, and having another protocol for all women, she chose short.

Queen Letizia wore the miniature of the "Order of Carlos III".

Thanks Lula, I am not sure if I was clear enough, I meant what a female monarch (maybe Leonor) would wear if uniform with orders and applications of the military is requested.

Duke, in that case she would have to wear the same military uniform, but with skirt. The civilian equivalent, could be a long dress, but with miniatures of the orders.

Duke, in that case she would have to wear the same military uniform, but with skirt. The civilian equivalent, could be a long dress, but with miniatures of the orders.
thanks! :flowers:

Oh that's very nice indeed, like Juan Carlos a Mass a few days after the proclamation. Although it is a private Mass, this, I think is in keeping with the Pope's preferences for humility and simplicity etc.

Per ABC report above, the Proclamation ceremony was devoid of any religious character because "The Constitution of Spain as of 1978 has No Official religion". "However, the Royal family, following the traditions and convictions of the Catholic religion will attend a private Mass" . . .

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be new official photos like in the case of willem-alexander and maxima, mathildre and philipp)

I wonder if they will still do their summer photoshoot at Mallorca.

I am wondering when they publish the new official pictures. Don't most public offices have pictures of the King hanging on their wall, meaning there must be a demand now for a new picture of Felipe in the King's uniform?

For now, they are using the official photos that already existed. Photos with military uniform are more urgent, because the old will not work, now he is Captain General.

Thanks, that's what I meant, the picture in military uniform. At the same time, they'll probably publish other pictures as well.

:previous:Beautiful picture Muhler, Thank You! Saved it in my files....
Really glad to see F/L take over............great news for Spain.

Back
Top Bottom