Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Some brilliant images from PPE

PPE Agency
A truly wonderful, emotional day and great, great pictures. !!

I love this couple and think that they will do a superb job. I have sometimes seen Letizia as a reluctant royal. Now, I'm getting a strong vibe (although it is only from the pictures) that she is raring to go and is more than ready and willing to embrace the role that she has undertaken.

I wanted to give Queen Sofia a hug. How must she have felt as she watched Felipe take on the mantle of King. ? Proud, happy, sad (that an era for her had ended). ?

Long live The King. !!

Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Speech by H.M. the King at his Proclamation before the Senate and the Congress of Deputies

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Speech by H.M. the King at his Proclamation before the Senate and the Congress of Deputies
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I wonder where Victoria Federica was. I understand that she goes to boarding school in England, although it would've been nice if she could be taken out of school for today. After all, it is her uncle's coronation, which is a very special, memorable and joyous event. I'm also more curious about her absence since her brother Felipe Frolian was there.
Her Excellency Doña Victoria is in a Roman Catholic boarding school in England,perhaps its exam time or her parents just decided not to take her out of school midweek and fly her over to Spain.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Aristocracy

I really liked the Proclamation. Very touching. However, I would prefer some kind of a pompous, lavish coronation

They are lovely and sweet family. Girls looked a bit scared, well they have get used to public events.

Also, Letizia should have wore a longer dress.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! Madrid is a beautiful city!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Majesty

so exciting, what a day for felipe and letizia! they must be thrilled, but surely they are also a bit nervous. felipe looks like he will make a great king, although i'm hoping he doesn't become as megalomanic as his father as time goes by...

leonor and sofia are adorable, so well behaved and so cute. i loved their little matching dresses although sofia's didn't fit very well. letizia obviousl looked amazing in that dress and coat. just perfect.

the dresses were made by two ladies from where letizia comes from, oviedo. she got introduced to them by a friend from her from oviedo. the article below explains that letizia's directions were that the dresses had to be simple and had to have french sleeves and that "she had to have them on tuesday".

Leonor y Sof?a, vestidas por dos modistas asturianas | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
After receiving the sash the King went onto kiss his family and then Infanta Elena curtsied and Felipe de Marichalar bowed to him ..
Btw, Leonor and Sofia are looking very cute.
elena and her family are really quite something, they are all so prim and proper! i also really liked that jaime de marichalar was invited, even though him and elena are divorced, jaime is certainly very appreciated in the family (clearly more than iñaki, although that's not hard to beat!)

some fun anecdotes of the ceremony:

in this video, in order of appearance:

Letizia, madre adem?s de Reina | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

-letizia strokes felipe as they get into the car...
-felipe looking sideways to his daughters to check they were behaving...
-felipe moving his hands down to tell the audience to stop clapping for him during the standing ovation...
-standing ovation for sofia..
-sofia blowing a kiss to his son...
-letizia calming leonor down telling her to be patient for a bit longer and that the event would be done soon...
-letizia telling her daughters who the people at the event were..
-letizia getting confused over who got in the car first: her or felipe, he tells her to go first...
-
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was lovely. I am often not a fan of Letizia, as she seems cold and indifferent, but I saw the wonderful love she has for her husband and that is wonderful. They are all charming and I wish them the best.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd imagine a good nights sleep is in order for all at Zarzuela tonight!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well, what a day it has been! Thank you everyone for all the wonderful links and pictures and comments etc!
Spain has provided us all with a magnificent event to watch and considering the austerity element, there was enough pomp and ceremony that any country should be proud of! Everything done so well and correctly.
King Felipe made an inspirational, heartfelt speech that struck a chord on so many levels.
I am convinced that a new era of prosperity has arrived for Spain and not just because there is a new king!
Viva El Rey!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

Thank you for this!! I was hoping there would be a professional, so to speak, translation of HIs Majesty's speech into English and very glad that came true.

I did get up early (3am EST) to watch it all and thought it a very dignified and solemnly joyful ceremony, which considering Spain is still deeply in trouble economically wise, was the perfect mood and way to go for today.. Just enough pomp and pageantry to make it a Royal occasion, but also enough restraint, it didn't feel like a slap in the face to a People who are struggling just to make it through each day due to the on going economic mess. I hope that makes sense, but quite the tight rope walk had to take place today and IMO was done beautifully.

I loved how Letitzia kept an eye on her girls and also explaining to them what was going on and/or who they were meeting. My Goodness those young ladies did so very, very well today, didn't they? At times overwhelmed, but who can blame them for that. Both Leonor and Sofia behaved beautifully today and both their Parents and Grandparents must just be bursting w/pride. :)

You know what had me choked up today and blinking back tears? A moment I haven't seen mentioned yet. It was when Infanta Elena curtsied to His Majesty the King during the Military Installation Ceremony at the Palace. He may now be her King, but in her eyes, he'll always be her Baby Brother and you could clearly see and feel the emotion of the moment on her face.

Oh...And how about that view from the Balcony!?! I don't remember ever seeing a Royal Balcony appearance where there was/were cameras allowed to show us what it's like from the POV the Royals have. Spectacular it was too.

Many thanks to one and all who have found and shared links to the events of the last few days. Mucho Gracias!! :) :) :)

Long Live King Felipe VI of Spain!! Long May He Reign!!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Royal Highness

I liked the ceremony. Felipe and Letizia were good. I loved everything.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was wondering where Victoria was and then I read she's away at school - seemed so odd she was not there.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Victoria's not studying abroad?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Courtier

I'm only just catching up with it all, but what a lovely day. Some of the notable things to me were: Felipe's wonderful speech; seeing the sweet interactions between Felipe, Letizia, and their daughters - I though that Letizia in particular seemed to make sure that her husband and her children were as relaxed as could be; and I was very pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowds. I was afraid that there wouldn't be many people, especially as the route they traveled in the car was a bit long.

Watching the videos also made me want to go back to Madrid again - I haven't been there in a few years, and I'd forgotten how pretty it is, especially on such a lovely, sunny day.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved the red and yellow collar of Letizia's jacket I'm also glad she dressed simply - she did nothing to draw attention away from the King by making any fashion statements.

Sofia and Elena looked marvelous as well. The girls were lovely - I particularly liked the color of little Sofia's dress and her headband.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Serene Highness

Location: desde mi ventana veo gibraltar español,reino de espaÑa, Spain
This is the new flag and shield of King Philip VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post

Inauguration of King Felipe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10478203_312608745562155_7288913756580233095_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	291749  

La Lengua acompañó al Imperio (Antonio de Nebrija)
The Language
accompanied to the Empire (Antonio de Nebrija)

Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder if tomorrow we have official photos of Felipe and Letizia?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Gentry

Felipe VI's first speech as king in full - hellomagazine.com
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossina View Post
Queen Letizia, Queen Sofia, Princess Leonor, and Princess Sofia all look absolutely wonderful!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Aristocracy

The event was lovely. Unveiled the whole richness of Spanish monarchist tradition. I am sure the number of 'republicans' will be smaller tomorrow morning.. How can one light-heartedly give away this beauty..?

Does anyone know/can report how the event was attended in Barcelona/Catalonia? Were people proudly watching as in the rest of the country? Or indifferent? I believe today was one of those moments that brings out the most royalist reflections even in non-sympathizers necessarily..

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, king felipe, king felipe vi, princess of asturias, proclamation, queen letizia