Proclamation of King Felipe VI: June 19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is what he looks like, he looks like his mother and had the same anxious look during the sash ceremony. What is going on in childrens, heads should not be surmised by pictures of them squinting in the sun, that goes for Leo and Sofia too.

And why did he avoided to swear on the Bible?

He avoided yesterday anything linked with the Catholic faith. None of his ancestors would have done the same.

A really sad beginning for this "lay" Head of State.

Yes, at least he is starting his travel agenda with his first visit to the Vatican. And even though the Pope is a Head of State, he is also the Spiritual Father of the Catholic Church. I assume he will ask the Holy Father for his prayers and a blessing for everything he is entrusted with. May God bless him and his family.

We are living in very different times.

Last edited:
If we are living in very different times....Why the President of USA always mention God in the investiture speech???

I really missed that new King Felipe said the Word "God" in his speech.

Very childish of them,they'd have proved a better point by not attending the ceremony.

One wonders what would happen if these regions did ever become independent and these governors became presidents.....would King Felipe sneer at them during their taking oaths of office, I doubt it very much as he would be respectful of the situation! In order for people who want change to see their changes happening, they should become respectful!

Last edited:
The governors of Catalonia, Galatia and Basque country were sneering during HM Felipe's speech. Very disrespectful.

The governor of Galicia (not Galatia :p) is from the Popular Party. He definitely respects the King, unlike the other two. Separatism in Galicia is almost non-existent.

Ouch!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Royals Community mobile app

I was surprised how little coverage the events got in the UK. I flicked between BBC and Sky News all morning yesterday and other then the occasional snippet, there wasn't much to it. They did the same for the Dutch and Belgian ceremonies, but Spain's a much bigger player in Europe so I thought there'd be a bit more. Oh well, at least TVE made their feed available internationally.

It all seemed to go well, although it did all seem to be a bit low-key. Letizia knocked it out of the park IMO, clearly choosing to go the Mathilde route rather than that of Maxima who to me seemed to go out of her way to ensure all eyes were on her. Letizia knew she wasn't the star of the show yesterday and her behaviours clearly reflected that.

The crowds seemed to be of a decent size, although republicans were banned from protesting, so it's difficult to really evaluate it. I wish the new King and Queen every success, however.

Oh, one thing I noticed was that both yesterday and on Wednesday, Sofia clearly initiated the kisses with her husband, I think had she not done so he probably wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited:
If we are living in very different times....Why the President of USA always mention God in the investiture speech???

I really missed that new King Felipe said the Word "God" in his speech.

Well, religious dynamics are very different in the United States than they are in Spain. Felipe, of course, needs to do what is felt to be most appropriate for Spain.

I was surprised how little coverage the events got in the UK. I flicked between BBC and Sky News all morning yesterday and other then the occasional snippet, there wasn't much to it. They did the same for the Dutch and Belgian ceremonies, but Spain's a much bigger player in Europe so I thought there'd be a bit more. Oh well, at least TVE made their feed available internationally.

Interesting to hear confirmation on that; I was watching EuroNews but did occasionally flick to BBC and Sky but got fed up in the end and just stuck with EuroNews. I wasn't sure if I was just turning over at the wrong point or if there was nothing.

I think it was all absolutely fantastic and hope Spain and the Royal Family are feeling rather proud of themselves :flowers:

It all seemed to go well, although it did all seem to be a bit low-key. Letizia knocked it out of the park IMO, clearly choosing to go the Mathilde route rather than that of Maxima who to me seemed to go out of her way to ensure all eyes were on her. Letizia knew she wasn't the star of the show yesterday and her behaviours clearly reflected that.

The crowds seemed to be of a decent size, although republicans were banned from protesting, so it's difficult to really evaluate it. I wish the new King and Queen every success, however.

Oh, one thing I noticed was that both yesterday and on Wednesday, Sofia clearly initiated the kisses with her husband, I think had she not done so he probably wouldn't have bothered.

We didn't seem get much coverage of it here in the US, either - I only saw a brief mention of it midway through the evening news. Although, when they first announced the abdication, there was a bit more attention (even if a lot of it was about Letizia's style!) I think it got slightly more coverage here than the Dutch ceremony - I don't remember Belgium getting any mention at all. The US news media loves to cover the British RF (and I assume the public must like it, too, or else they wouldn't keep covering it) - I'd think they might find it natural to try to expand interest into other royal families, but sadly not (thank goodness for youtube, etc, so I can at least keep up with things!).

As for Sofia kissing her husband - you may be right that he might not have bothered, but I think some of that may have to do with his lack of steadiness. At times Juan Carlos seemed to be putting a lot of his effort just into standing up straight.

A real sad beginning for the new constitutional King of Spain Felipe VI who did not attend Mass before the ceremony of becoming the new Sovereign of a country known for its Catholic tradition. He did not swear his oath on the Bible and he did not mention in his speech anything about the Catholic heritage of Spain, anything about the Catholic faith of the majority of the Spanish and he avoided mentioning anything about the positive role of the Church in the life of Spain. He did not ask for God's blessing for his reign and he did not want to be linked in any way with the faith of his ancestors and of his country. The Spanish Catholics must certainly reflect on the behaviour of this Head of State who abandoned the Catholic traditions of his House and of his own people

The King's first trip abroad will be to the Vatican to meet the Pope. Maybe he can have a private mass with the Pope and even be annointed as a Catholic monarch should be. The press doesn't even need to know.

Interesting to hear confirmation on that; I was watching EuroNews but did occasionally flick to BBC and Sky but got fed up in the end and just stuck with EuroNews. I wasn't sure if I was just turning over at the wrong point or if there was nothing.

I think it was all absolutely fantastic and hope Spain and the Royal Family are feeling rather proud of themselves :flowers:

There was more BBC coverage for the Dutch abdication and inauguration and very little for the Beligian throne change, but I stuck to Euronews throughout as their's seem to be the best (albeit the chap doing the reporting was a bit hit and miss - at one point while we were waiting for the balcony scene he was wondering whether many of the crowds had brought picnics with them just to fill up the time!).

I think it is unfair to compare Maxima to Letizia as the circumstances were completely different. The Dutch inauguration ceremonies are far more formal and Maxima was expected to look "regal", in her huge diamond and sapphire tiara and so on. Letiza on the other was supposed to be low key. I can't find anything though on Maxima's behavior during the Dutch inauguration ceremony properly that would lead me to believe that she "was going out of her way to ensure all eyes were on her". Quite the contrary, she was the perfect Queen Consort.

Based on your posts I understand that Catholicism is very important to you. Key word you. And that is certainly your right. And yet you don't know Felipe's relationship with God. You might assume it because what you interpret to be his lack of faith based on these actions. Don't read too much into it because unless you have had a personal conversation with him, you really don't know of his relationship with God, or why he choose note to swear on the Bible, not to have a mass, etc.

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

I am assuming that unlike Queen Elizabeth II he is not the head of Church, that would be the Pope correct?
:flowers: Bravo Zonk. I'm a Catholic as well, but Felipe's relationship with God is his own so I won't comment upon that.

No fotos of mother and father of Letizia? thanks

Here is Queen Letizia's mother (Paloma Rocasolano) and paternal grandmother Menchu Alvarez at the Proclamation ceremony. They were seated with secretaries of the State. According to the ABC journal, also in attendance were Letizia's maternal grandfather Francisco Julio Rocasolano of 96 years old, her father Jesus Ortiz and wife. Her sister Telma Ortiz did not attend the ceremonies.

Her Excellency Doña Victoria is in a Roman Catholic boarding school in England,perhaps its exam time or her parents just decided not to take her out of school midweek and fly her over to Spain.

Exams (or at least at the schools near me) have now finished in England, although GCSEs are still taking place, but Victoria Federica is too young to be taking her GCSEs at the moment. Perhaps Elena is just one of those parents who are very strict on their child's school work and attendance. Even so, yesterday was a very special event and if I were in Elena's shoes, I would've bought Victoria Federica with me.

A real sad beginning for the new constitutional King of Spain Felipe VI who did not attend Mass before the ceremony of becoming the new Sovereign of a country known for its Catholic tradition. He did not swear his oath on the Bible and he did not mention in his speech anything about the Catholic heritage of Spain, anything about the Catholic faith of the majority of the Spanish and he avoided mentioning anything about the positive role of the Church in the life of Spain. He did not ask for God's blessing for his reign and he did not want to be linked in any way with the faith of his ancestors and of his country. The Spanish Catholics must certainly reflect on the behaviour of this Head of State who abandoned the Catholic traditions of his House and of his own people

Sad for you, perhaps, but I personally prefer the fact that he chose to focus on Spain's diversity and the role of the monarchy in unifying the country rather than emphasizing Spain's Catholicism, which is on the wane and thus does not reflect the current situation.

I know it's important to you but considering that a huge part of Spain's history deals with the unjust treatment of minorities by Spain's Catholic monarchs, precisely because of religious differences, I find it very wise that Felipe chose to veer away from talk of religion, which is always more divisive than unifying. Most important, there's this little thing called being a secular country, and as a monarch, I applaud him for honoring that to the letter. For all we know, he's a religious person but chooses to practice Catholicism privately and not shove it down his subjects' throats.

I think his speech was excellent, focus on the role of monarchy was spot on. He and the Queen are an elegant pair, and their little girls are precious.

It's time to move on regarding the discussion of Catholicism and its role in Felipe's Proclamation, reign, life, etc. This chestnut is officially done.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

:ohmy:Now I think I know why Queen Elizabeth wears gloves all the time, oh that looks so painful, Felipe needs to give her a hand rub with some great warming hand creme tonight with a nice glass of wine..............

Back
Top Bottom