What now for Princess Charlène: Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You seem to dislike the Monaco family for some reason. Albert is different because he is an actual head of state with power. Grace as Princess Consort would show up do events/charities many times during the week. There is much to do in Monaco. Who cares if its small.

Because it IS small, there's not much to do. If you have a 3 room house, you dont have enough housework to ocupy you all the time. If you have a bigger house you do. Grace did what was expected as a royal lady, Charlene does not do that much royal work....

You seem to dislike the Monaco family for some reason. Albert is different because he is an actual head of state with power. Grace as Princess Consort would show up do events/charities many times during the week. There is much to do in Monaco. Who cares if its small.

There are more things Charlene *could* do publicly in Monaco despite its size but she chooses not to do them.

She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to because unlike almost every other European monarchy Albert has a lot of political control and doesn't need to prove their usefulness/worth to anyone.

I assume their current way of doing things is agreeable to both of them.

I don't think that its good enough really.. they are a privileged couple.. and even if Charlene doesn't "want" to do public work she IS married to someone with a lot of privilege and IMO noblesse oblige. I think she could do a bit more and still have plenty of time for private life.. but its true that Monaco is small and so she's not likely to be snowed under with charity work

The couple are married 10 years this July and I had hoped that Charlene would have eased into her role as a consort but sill comes across as a reluctant one.

I don't think that its good enough really.. they are a privileged couple.. and even if Charlene doesn't "want" to do public work she IS married to someone with a lot of privilege and IMO noblesse oblige. I think she could do a bit more and still have plenty of time for private life.. but its true that Monaco is small and so she's not likely to be snowed under with charity work

I agree she should still do more publicly, just that she doesn't have to because of Monaco's size and political situation.

It also comes across as very noticeable when Albert is at events where other consorts are there and his is solo and those other couples have young children as well.

There are more things Charlene *could* do publicly in Monaco despite its size but she chooses not to do them.

She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to because unlike almost every other European monarchy Albert has a lot of political control and doesn't need to prove their usefulness/worth to anyone.

I assume their current way of doing things is agreeable to both of them.
But both Grace and Caroline did a lot within the principality and outside the principality on behalf of the principality. There is a lot she can do.

But both Grace and Caroline did a lot within the principality and outside the principality on behalf of the principality. There is a lot she can do.

but she doesnt. She's a relatively inactive consort

Yes that's what my post said. That there's a lot that she could do that she chooses not to for whatever reason.

And that because Monaco is in a different position than almost every other European monarchy (with the exception of Liechtenstein) she doesn't *have* to be publicly visible doing good works and promoting things in order to justify its existence.

It just might be nice if she did.

Yes that's what my post said. That there's a lot that she could do that she chooses not to for whatever reason.

And that because Monaco is in a different position than almost every other European monarchy (with the exception of Liechtenstein) she doesn't *have* to be publicly visible doing good works and promoting things in order to justify its existence.

In fact that counts for all Consorts. The one is more visible than the other. For an example: I dislike the globetrotting worldwide activism of my Queen: I would like her to me more oriented on her own country.

Princess Charlène is on the other edge of that spectrum, she could probably join her spouse somewhat more.

But being a Consort is not something with a job description apart from the core business: being a partner and a parent to the Sovereign.

You are right she doesn't have to since taxpayers don't foot the bill so she's not obligated but she could do a lot more. I wish she could I mean sh sign up to be a princess. I may understand if its hard to carry Grace's and even Caroline's shoes but she could form her own path and legacy.

In fact that counts for all Consorts. The one is more visible than the other. For an example: I dislike the globetrotting worldwide activism of my Queen: I would like her to me more oriented on her own country.

Princess Charlène is on the other edge of that spectrum, she could probably join her spouse somewhat more.

But being a Consort is not something with a job description apart from the core business: being a partner and a parent to the Sovereign.

Then make something out of being a consort. Create a role with for yourself...

The couple are married 10 years this July and I had hoped that Charlene would have eased into her role as a consort but sill comes across as a reluctant one.

I see Charlene's problems/attitude as similar to Megan's in many ways. She started off with great intentions. She had enjoyed moderate success in her field of interest-swimming- which imbued her with confidence and might have caused her to underestimate what she was taking on.

But like Meghan, Charlene is not European. She does not want to try and fit in anymore. She clings to her identity as an African. She rejects certain expectations of her role as Consort...accompanying Albert to events overseas, mingling with other Royals.

Whether she does this out of shyness, lack of confidence due to her education deficit compared to the others i have no idea.

She does not understand Monaco. Her comment that she shaved her head to be "edgy" is a perfect case in point. Monaco is NOT edgy. It is glamorous but also traditional and conservative.

I am not prepared to say she is a failure. She is-most of the time anyway-beautifully turned out and elegant. She has provided two gorgeous heirs and is committed to motherhood. She has embraced the Catholic faith with apparent sincerity.

But...this is as good as it's going to get with her as far as "growing into her role". She has entered her 40's, and has been in the Principality 15 years...ten of them as Princess of Monaco.

Last edited:
She does not want to try and fit in anymore. She clings to her identity as an African. She rejects certain expectations of her role as Consort...accompanying Albert to events overseas, mingling with other Royals.

Charlene did to be fair to her in the early years and accompanied the Prince and was a more visible consort but sadly that soon evaporated for what ever reasons.

I see Charlene's problems/attitude as similar to Megan's in many ways. She started off with great intentions. She had enjoyed moderate success in her field of interest-swimming- which imbued her with confidence and might have caused her to underestimate what she was taking on.

But like Meghan, Charlene is not European. She does not want to try and fit in anymore. She clings to her identity as an African. She rejects certain expectations of her role as Consort...accompanying Albert to events overseas, mingling with other Royals.

Whether she does this out of shyness, lack of confidence due to her education deficit compared to the others i have no idea.

She does not understand Monaco. Her comment that she shaved her head to be "edgy" is a perfect case in point. Monaco is NOT edgy. It is glamorous but also traditional and conservative.

I am not prepared to say she is a failure. She is-most of the time anyway-beautifully turned out and elegant. She has provided two gorgeous heirs and is committed to motherhood. She has embraced the Catholic faith with apparent sincerity.

But...this is as good as it's going to get with her as far as "growing into her role". She has entered her 40's, and is has been in the Principality 15 years...ten of them as Princess of Monaco.

Its a shame she's been Princess of Monaco for 10 years but hasn't done much within those years. Honestly I feel bad but Caroline seems a better First lady.

I've said many times in the past that the Princess of Hanover should fill in more where the Princess Consort is unable or unwilling to carry out duties.

I've said many times in the past that the Princess of Hanover should fill in more where the Princess Consort is unable or unwilling to carry out duties.
Caroline probalby doesnot wnat to do more than she already does. She's an older woman now with her own life, grandchildren etc...

[...]

But like Meghan, Charlene is not European.

[...]

Grace Kelly (Philadelphia USA), María Teresa Mestre y Batista (Havana, Cuba), Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Mary Donaldson (Hobart, Australia) ...

Caroline probalby doesnot wnat to do more than she already does. She's an older woman now with her own life, grandchildren etc...

It will be years before the twins carry out any official duties which is a long time for solo duties for Prince Albert II.

Honestly feel the same! Caroline does a great job as Princess Consort in my opinion. She honestly understands Monaco is cultural country and that’s why she did amazing job in ballet and the arts. Also her charities.

|She clearly does not want to....
I think she does have a role , it's not a big one, but she works with kids and has events connected to swim competitions, she supports various children's charities, just recently Charlene participated in the water bike race, that raised a lot of money for her charity.

Grace Kelly (Philadelphia USA), María Teresa Mestre y Batista (Havana, Cuba), Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Mary Donaldson (Hobart, Australia) ...

Probably Charlene's main problem that holds her back is the language. I don't know if she has learned to speak French.

Probably Charlene's main problem that holds her back is the language. I don't know if she has learned to speak French.

One would hope after 15 years in the Principality that Charlene has mastered some French and hopefully Palace staff have helped her.

While reading through the comments above I am reminded of an interview just before the couple got married. P Albert said that his wife would not be expected to fulfill the traditional role of a Consort. My guess is that they discussed this and came to an agreement. But P Charlene has also often said that she would want to do more in Monaco, and maybe she is doing more, it is just not always covered in the media.

French is not such a difficult language for a speaker of English, although proper pronunciation may be tricky. In any case, it is definitely something she could have learned in so many years if he had put in the necessary effort.

How was Princess Grace's French?

French is not such a difficult language for a speaker of English, although proper pronunciation may be tricky. In any case, it is definitely something she could have learned in so many years if he had put in the necessary effort.

Grace mastered the language after a hard time learning it initially.

en réponse à votre question!

Princess Caroline answered this question last year. She said her mother did not master French well enough and was unable to understand her teachers written appreciations so that Princess Caroline never was congratulated by her mother for her good grades.

https://www.elle.fr/People/La-vie-d...rien-a-voir-avec-celle-que-j-ai-recue-3889425

Last edited:

Princess Grace never did master the French language. She remained a student her entire life. But...she NEVER stopped trying...faulty French and all...she addressed the Monagasques in French.

And the people loved her for it.

Yes...your point?

Back
Top Bottom