Wedding of William & Catherine: Television Coverage and Lead-Up Programs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Television Coverage

Rather than reply to all of the many interesting posts I'm going to throw in my "two cents" now:

Set your alarm clocks now! It will be an early morning for anyone in The States or in Canada (I live in Toronto). I have never missed a televised Royal Event and always book off work for the day before and the day of any event. I don't want to miss a thing.

Note to all Americans: If you can get a feed from either CBC or CFTO (Canadian Television Networks) either will provide much better coverage than anything that you will see on American networks. Sorry guys!
However, Canadians are much more educated with the titles, etc. concerning The British Royal Family than most Americans and certainly more than any American television journalist that I have known.

However, CNN has to be thrilled to now have Piers Morgan who knows more about The Royal Family than many Royal Watchers.

In closing, som:walesflag2:eone mentioned that Prince William is the "heir" - not yet - Prince Charles is the heir to the throne.

I know! Finally in this century a Princess to be proud of, with no past history of bad behavior.

Are forgetting about HRH Anne, The Princess Royal?
Yes, she is twice married but her children have become outstanding adults and The Princess Royal is the hardest working Royal today.

Yes, she is twice married but her children have become outstanding adults and The Princess Royal is the hardest working Royal today.

I would think (or hope to think) that scooter means that as in a woman who enters the royal family, not born into it.

By the way, welcome to The Royal Forums and hopefully you'll have a wonderful time here. :) :flowers:

Define 'hardest working'.

If it is number of engagements then no - Charles has done the most engegements over two of the last three years.

I don't think you're going to see the wedding aired, either live or tape-delayed on any of the major US networks. They may send correspondents over to report on it, but I don't think you're going to see any NBC cameras or ABC cameras in the Abbey. Diana's funeral was somewhat of an anomaly, in that this was an extremely powerful and famous figure who died, and as such there was no way it wouldn't be aired live. For example, if something were to happen to Barack Obama, I would fully expect the funeral and such to be aired live around the world, rather than just in the United States.

This is a joke, right?

This wedding will be all over every network.
You are correct about one thing and one thing only:
There will not be individual cameras littered throughout The Abbey.
Just one feed from the BBC.

Diana a famous figure? Definitely!
Diana an extremely powerful figure? Another joke, right?

This is a joke, right?

This wedding will be all over every network.
You are correct about one thing and one thing only:
There will not be individual cameras littered throughout The Abbey.
Just one feed from the BBC.

Diana a famous figure? Definitely!
Diana an extremely powerful figure? Another joke, right?

What is your definition of powerful?

"Calling in Dead!"

Oh heck... if I was working and was scheduled for the 29th, I'd even call in dead that day.

That is the funniest thing ever!

I remember 2005, :ROFLMAO:the year that Charles and Camilla were married.
The wedding was postponed one day because of the funeral of Pope John Paul II. After the Pope's death Prince Ranier died.
I had to approach my Manager requesting three separate days off .

Let's get back on topic...the coverage of the Royal wedding...not the personas of the various members of the British Royal Family.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Last edited:
QP thanks so much for the help! My mom said for me to hook up the dvd recorder my dvr and vhs player and tape 3 diff stations at once so I'll have to narrow them down but now I have 3 options plus my friend in the UK who is going to record the live BBC broadcast for me. If there is usually one main feed inside the church how do we have alternative angles from Diana and Charles's wedding? Though mind you it could have just been for that wedding that alternative camera's were hooked up inside the church.

ghost_night554 said:
QP thanks so much for the help! My mom said for me to hook up the dvd recorder my dvr and vhs player and tape 3 diff stations at once so I'll have to narrow them down but now I have 3 options plus my friend in the UK who is going to record the live BBC broadcast for me. If there is usually one main feed inside the church how do we have alternative angles from Diana and Charles's wedding? Though mind you it could have just been for that wedding that alternative camera's were hooked up inside the church.

Glad I could help! :)
I think the BBC hosted the feed for everyone, and they had loads of cameras up, so we saw all those different angles, but it was all the same picture no matter the channel. Is that what you were thinking?

Anyone else wanna weigh in??

Ok for example the screencap on the left is from the original BBC broadcast the screencap on the right is from footage taken from a documentary after her death.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w5rac3.jpg

Did these alternative angles from the BBC camera (but were not aired till later years) or is it taken from let's say from ABC's camera? Did they even have a camera?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lfGMoVMCLs

Last edited:
I think BBC had lots of footage from different cameras that would not have made it to air on the day, so ABC, for example, could have picked different angles than BBC when putting together footage of the wedding for air in '97.

My wildly speculative guess!! :)
Anyone else have ideas??

I think the ABC video is live since Barbra Walters is commentating but the screencap I posted is from a different video, a documentary actually. I think that particular clip first aired on BBC during her obituary. I know alot of alternative angles from her wedding were first aired on BBC during her obituary. I actually made a video of all the alternative angles I've found. But I suspect it was something to that affect as you have suggested. If the inside feed is the same for all channels then that's one less thing to worry about for this wedding now I'll just have to worry about commercials haha

Last edited:
They've never had commercials during anything I've seen before!!. 3 1/2 hours of Charles and Camilla's wedding and I remember one time they broke away for a 5 minute news summary between the civil service and the blessing and that was it!.

They better not have commercials!! That would be awful!! Imagine- "coverage of The Royal Wedding sponsored by Mountain Dew - Do the Dew!" and then they have a ridiculous commercial with some Prince William lookalike drinking Mountain Dew?? LOL

I agree! I've never seen any either but I've heard from some people to expect some even my mom thought so but I thought it was kinda bizarre sounding but having never watched such a big royal wedding I wasn't sure so I kept my mouth shut. I sure hope it's commercial free! Would be ALOT easier for me and the editing process when I finish recording the dvd won't have to deal with eliminating commercials.

QP I just watched back the obituary quickly and they have all the alternative angles I've ever seen so I'm guessing they all belong to BBC and gave it out to ABC but I don't know if the ABC video was from the original broadcast or was it something they put together years later...it sure seems live. I'm thinking maybe it came from the ABC dvd which was released years later.

http://www.amazon.com/ABC-News-Classics-Royal-Wedding/dp/B000R9AKRM

The more I'm reading about it the more I think it is....
The ABC recap of the wedding day on ABC's website only includes the BBC broadcast footage. I even have the BBC news @ 6 from July 29th 1981 and they used the original broadcasted footage so I am certain the ABC footage is off the dvd and your original theory QP was corect!

Last edited:

That's is what I'll be doing, recording 3 different channels!!. Everyone will have different analyst and guests talking about the wedding and I think it would be interesting to see who will have the best commentary, guests, ect!!

Seems simple enough but now I have to narrow down the channels! LOL! Then AFTER the wedding I'll have to tape all the entertainment news shows and such like ET or ETalk! who are going to have full coverage as well.

Seems simple enough but now I have to narrow down the channels! LOL! Then AFTER the wedding I'll have to tape all the entertainment news shows and such like ET or ETalk! who are going to have full coverage as well.

Now I'm going to take the easy way out. Sit back, just watch the goings on and relax and wait for.. you guessed it... UPLOADS!

I normally would too but I definitely need to secure it onto dvd since I finally managed to get my dvd of Charles and Diana's wedding after so many years of trying not going to miss my chance this time. Though time have changed but still IMO I wouldn't want to risk it. I actually thought Daniel and Victoria's would be uploaded too but no one really did maybe it was cause SVT had it up "on demand" so no one really bothered till months later.

I have my three channels of coverage picked out and that will be good enough for me! :). I don't think I need the TV tabloid stuff. I'll probably tape it anyway...it's easier to have it and never watch it than to not have it and try to find it!!! LOL

^That's my problem too. It's easier to just have it on a disk and never re-watch then spend the following week going crazy cause I can't find it anywhere

I'm def going to tape either CBC or CTV and then I'm thinking possibly doing ABC and perhaps TLC but not finalized yet, you never know with me I can change my mind in an instant.

^That's my problem too. It's easier to just have it on a disk and never re-watch then spend the following week going crazy cause I can't find it anywhere

I'm def going to tape either CBC or CTV and then I'm thinking possibly doing ABC and perhaps TLC but not finalized yet, you never know with me I can change my mind in an instant.

BBC, CBC and SKY is all I need!!! I will be a happy camper as long as I have those recorded!!:D

So true about going crazy trying to find something!!!!, or getting what you want and it's not playing properly!!! GRRRRRR!!

Last edited:
Totally it's happened to me SO many times it's not funny so I definitely want to be on the safe side and have more then 1 version incase there's a glitch or something. So lucky you have BBC I'd kill to have BBC. I have BBC World News and that's all. Thank god for my friend in the UK who is going to tape the BBC broadcast for me.

I just have a feeling the ABC announcers are going to annoy the heck out of me. I'm wondering if I should stick to TLC and CBC and record CBC in HDTV as well. See what I mean when I say I can change my mind in an instant?

Last edited:
Totally it's happened to me SO many times it's not funny so I definitely want to be on the safe side and have more then 1 version incase there's a glitch or something. So lucky you have BBC I'd kill to have BBC. I have BBC World News and that's all. Thank god for my friend in the UK who is going to tape the BBC broadcast for me.
If they go the same route that they did for Charles and Camilla's wedding, BBC World went to BBC One and covered the wedding from start to finish with a 5 minute news summary between the civil ceremony and the blessing, so I can't imagine that they wouldn't do the same thing!!. I only have BBC World (offline, that is).

if you want BBC, SKY, or ITV, what I did is subscribed to a VPN for 5 pounds a month ($7.5/month or something like that) and it works out pretty good, I haven't had any problems connecting to live feeds. If you have an Xbox360, you can get SKY news for free (no VPN required), all you have to do is set up a dummy Xbox Live UK account online on the computer, and then go on the Xbox and sign in and then download the sky player!!. EASY PEASY!!! Then if you wanna record SKY News, you hook up the xbox to a DVD recorder and you are good to go. Unforunately, I have no cheat to get the BBC live feed on PS3 or Xbox. Plus, BBC only has the BBC iPlayer which is a catcup-service that shows shows that were recently aired (no live feed for any console).

Nerdiness, thy name is Queen Penelope!!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So wait you mean the channel BBC World News will switch over and become BBC One for that day? If so I'm def recording that channel.

ghost_night554 said:
So wait you mean the channel BBC World News will switch over and become BBC One for that day? If so I'm def recording that channel.

That's what I said!! :) record away!!! :lol:

Gah!! yay! so now I'm sure I'm going to record BBC, and CBC. I'm debating my Canadian channel though. I wonder if I should go with CTV, CBC or Global.

ghost_night554 said:
Gah!! yay! so now I'm sure I'm going to record BBC, and CBC. I'm debating my Canadian channel though. I wonder if I should go with CTV, CBC or Global.

Didn't you say you were going too hook up your DVR, DVD recorder and your VCR?. You're set girl!! BBC, CBC and just flip a coin for the third channel!! lol

Although IMO, Global would be my last choice as they've never covered a royal wedding before! CBC and CTV know how it's done! (I just like the CBC because they always have docs on the BRF!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom