Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that last comment is directed at me - the answer is 'ummm' - Yes if you count a Masters Degree in Russian and British history in the 19th and early 20th century as an expert.

Just so you know - I have two Masters Degree - one in education and one in History.

I also have a Bachelor's degree in History - with an emphasis on the Tudors and Stuarts.

I am also just starting my Ph.D in English/British royal history.
Booom!! ??

If that last comment is directed at me - the answer is 'ummm' - Yes if you count a Masters Degree in Russian and British history in the 19th and early 20th century as an expert.

Just so you know - I have two Masters Degree - one in education and one in History.

I also have a Bachelor's degree in History - with an emphasis on the Tudors and Stuarts.

HUGE respect..................and excellent response:flowers:

Nicholas and Alexandra (Alix of Hesse, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria) were very much in love and well-suited, even if they did not have particularly strong or decisive personalities. Alexandra did come under the spell of Rasputin, but she should not be blamed for the Russian Revolution, nor for her family's eventual unconscionable and cruel slaughter.
Well said!

The historical denigration of Alexandra reminds me of how Queen Marie Antoinette of France is always blamed for the French Revolution and for the way the revolutionary captors and guards sexually abused, starved and tortured her four-year-old son to death during his four years of despicable, isolated captivity.

Meanwhile, the aggressive, scheming, sexually promiscuous, powerful and victorious Catherine the Great of Russia (reputed to have had her husband killed prior to taking over the throne) is aggrandized and admired. She created The Hermitage and amassed great artworks by stealing from countries throughout Europe, Asia & Africa. Yeah sure she was great because she ruled with an iron fist and got away with it. Often those royal women who were less powerful or whose personalities were weaker are portrayed as villains when they were actually victims.
Actually, I believe that there has always been some sympathy for Marie Antoinette and Alexandra. After all, they both were brutally executed. And on the other side of the coin, I believe that people are perfectly willing to admit that Catherine the Great made her fair share of transgressions.

As far as the Russian Revolution, so many different historical factors were at play, and so many situations were out of the Tsar's control, even in spite of his and his wife's missteps and mistakes.
Absolutely.

It's an abiding shame that the British royals did not try to rescue their Romanov cousins in Russia. There was talk of trying to do so, but they dragged their feet because of not wanting the taint of 'overthrow by the people' to infect their rule in Britain. King George V of Britain and Tsar Nicholas II of Russia were first cousins (their mothers were sisters: Alexandra of Denmark who married Edward VII of Britain, and Dagmar of Denmark who married Emperor Alexander III of Russia looked strikingly alike, as did their sons George and Nicholas respectively).
King George V and his physically similar cousin Tsar Nicholas II in German military uniforms in Berlin, 1913
George V unfortunately felt that he had to make that sacrifice to save his own family, not to mention all of his relatives, who were his subjects and relied on his guidance and protection, from a revolution like the one in Russia. He also pretty much forced his aunt Dagmar (Nicholas's mother) to move to Denmark, when she became too controversial in the UK. He surely did not want his cousins in Russia to be killed, but his duty was to save his own country and his subjects. :sad:

Last edited:

Have you started writing anything yet?

LaRae

Very impressed ! Very useful to have a real expert here !:flowers: You are very welcome here

I am still researching for the actual focus of my Ph.D. I only started it in February this year and have 5 years to finish it and can apply for an extension as I work full time.

I do have some pre-research essays to write by the end of next year - on the research process but the final writing won't probably start until the year after next. My supervisor has given me a broad timeline in which to have various things finished and I am ahead of schedule at the moment ...

I don't think they imagined the murder of the family in total. George wanted to save his job, I don't think he ever thought his life was in danger. The English would not have shot the Newly minted Windsors, but it could have jeopardized the Monarchy as it were. And blame must also fall on the Tsar himself. In the early Kerensky days, getting them out would have been easier and the Kaiser made a genuine offer that was refused by Alexandra out of hand. And the Kaiser could have done it. So, knowing to run when you should is also a culprit. The Tsar must have known from the onset his life was, certainly, in danger, as was his wife's. He never made a quick nor forceful decision and didn't at this time either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-soldier-hid-26-boxes-Nicholas-II-s-gold.html

KGB file claims anti-Bolshevik soldier hid 26 boxes of Nicholas II's gold for safekeeping

The Central African Republic in Africa and the Maldives in the Indian Ocean issued commemorative stamps in honor of Tsar Nicholas and his family in 2018 who were murdered 100 years prior on 17 July 1918. .

Central African Republic and Maldives issued stamps in honor of 100th anniversary of Royal Martyrs / OrthoChristian.Com

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael of Greece said in a documentary that nuns visiting the Tsar & his family removed jewels & other valuables and his them in the area around Jekaterinburg. Though I'm not sure where he would have that information from.

:previous:
From what I have read the family did not have that kind of possessions with them in captivity, so how could there be 26 boxes of anything and jewels, won't the guards search for those type of things and steal them?

100 years ago today, the deposed and imprisoned Tsar of all the Russias, Nicholas 11 celebrated his 50th Birthday. It would be his last...

Attachments

• nicky.jpg
    nicky.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 230
Michael of Greece said in a documentary that nuns visiting the Tsar & his family removed jewels & other valuables and his them in the area around Jekaterinburg. Though I'm not sure where he would have that information from.

There were several caches with valuebles,yes.Some are yet to be found,some caches ended up with the Bolsjewiks after a nun told them of its whereabout under treat of torture.

The IF was able & allowed by Kerenski to take many belongings with them to Tobolsk,a train load full..Among them many stones,pearls and jewellery,Much of that ended up in the clothes of the GD's,hence the murderers at Jekaterinenburg had a hard time to shoot the poor girls,the bullets ricochede all the time because of the GD's corsets filled with stones.Every time you see mentioned one of the GD's or the Tsarina say: "We attended to our medicine" she actually means jewellery.

Not all stones were as valueble,some were chrystals...as the murderers found out...and some of the belongings found at their graves in and near the Pig Ravine are on show in a small geological museum near the cathedral build on,or almost on,the spot where the Ipatiev house once stood.

I say almost on because,the Russian Orthodox Church didn't & doesn't see it beneath itself to mislead all as they have the exact spot where the cellar room was right outside the cathedral wall.They build an opulent Imperial Room in a sort of crypt as the exact spot where the Passion Bearers were killed.Wrong.The exact place of that room is exactly just outside the church,compare the floorplan of the Ipatiev House and that of the church and you'll see.Why on earth??The ways of the ROC are incomprehensible or it should be for their own political and ROC agenda only.I criticize the church for ongoing misleading and ask why?

But when at St.Petersburg last week,seeing the Icons of Nicolai II with Alexey,and the beautifull and huge icon of the Imperial Passion Bearers at the Cathedral of Kazan I was very pleased they're recognised and that so many people burned candles and layd flowers.Russia is coming to terms with it's Imperial past,slowly by slowly,bit by bit the awareness grows.

Last edited:
Empress Alexandra wrote letters to a close friend.
‘Dearest Mary’: Letters from the last Tsarina – Royal Central

^Blog Real, Thank you for the impressive video. Tsarina Alexandra is elegant as she carries her parasol. The four Grand Duchesses seem so in awe at the spectacular events.

In his haste to be married, Nicholas II had allowed no time for preparation of a place for himself and Alexandra to reside. They moved temporarily into the rooms which Nicholas and his brother George had shared as boys.

In 1896 Nicholas and Alexandra visited Balmoral. Nicholas II disliked Balmoral. He did not like being surrounded by all his wife's extended German family. He disliked being taken out for sport in the freezing wet weather.

Nicholas certainly didn't like being taken out shooting whatever the weather, and he was suffering from toothache (he had rotting teeth because of a liking for sweets.)
However, I don't know about 'extended German family'. Edward and Alexandra weren't German (in fact her dislike of Germany was wellknown in the family.) The Duke of Connaught wasn't German, nor were Victoria's other offspring.

Nicholas certainly didn't like being taken out shooting whatever the weather, and he was suffering from toothache (he had rotting teeth because of a liking for sweets.)
However, I don't know about 'extended German family'. Edward and Alexandra weren't German (in fact her dislike of Germany was wellknown in the family.) The Duke of Connaught wasn't German, nor were Victoria's other offspring.

I did not know that Nicholas II had a toothache in 1896. Alexandra was of course born in Hesse-Darmstadt. Victoria, The Princess Royal had married Friedrich, Crown Prince of Prussia. Their children were born in Prussia. Would not these grandchildren of Queen Victoria qualify as German?

Nicholas II hated the prospect of war. He agonized as his advisers unanimously agreed that full mobilization was essential if the Russian forces were to be ready for war. He had given his permission for the ukase declaring general mobilization.

In foreign affairs, Tsar Alexander III had left a legacy of thirteen peaceful years. He did not aquaint his heir with even the most basic information concerning Russia's international position. It was not until Nicholas II's accession that he learned the terms of the Franco-Russian alliance.

I did not know that Nicholas II had a toothache in 1896. Alexandra was of course born in Hesse-Darmstadt. Victoria, The Princess Royal had married Friedrich, Crown Prince of Prussia. Their children were born in Prussia. Would not these grandchildren of Queen Victoria qualify as German?

Queen Victoria had multiple German descendants.

I want to read "King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led the World to War". I have read a biography on King George V and plan to read John Rohl's lengthy 3 book biography on Kaiser Wilhelm II. However, since I am not up to paying the $150 for the paperback series quite yet (does anyone know how I could get it cheaper or from a library?), I plan to read about Tsar Nicholar II first. I have been looking at biographies and have found two: The Last of the Tsars: Nicholas II and the Russian Revolution and Tsar Nicholas II: A Life From Beginning to End .
Can someone tell me which of these books presents a more detailed view of his life, or if someone can suggest a different book that is better, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I want to read "King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led the World to War". I have read a biography on King George V and plan to read John Rohl's lengthy 3 book biography on Kaiser Wilhelm II. However, since I am not up to paying the $150 for the paperback series quite yet (does anyone know how I could get it cheaper or from a library?), I plan to read about Tsar Nicholar II first. I have been looking at biographies and have found two: The Last of the Tsars: Nicholas II and the Russian Revolution and Tsar Nicholas II: A Life From Beginning to End .
Can someone tell me which of these books presents a more detailed view of his life, or if someone can suggest a different book that is better, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Try Inter-Library Loan Service. Most local libraries have a link for it on their websites. After you make an account you can "order" a book and have it sent to your local branch from any library that subscribes. I live in California and have received books from Florida, Texas, Massachusetts, Canada, and most recently Missouri.

Try Inter-Library Loan Service. Most local libraries have a link for it on their websites. After you make an account you can "order" a book and have it sent to your local branch from any library that subscribes. I live in California and have received books from Florida, Texas, Massachusetts, Canada, and most recently Missouri.

Thank you. I will try that.

New [and VAST] cathedral planned on the site of the murder of the Imperial Family in Ekaterinburg

A lot of Czars got killed in Russia... This reminds me of this anecdote by Augusto Monterroso:

There was once a black sheep, which got shot. Years later the mourning flock erected a Sculpture to honour the black sheep... - Since then all black sheeps get shot, so, that future generations of white sheep can train sculpturing.

The Imperial Visit to Cowes

When Nicholas II and Alexandra visited Nicky's uncle Edward VII in 1909, they received several deputations. They received a deputation from London, led by the Lord Mayor who gave Their Majesties a magnificent gold coffret. The Tsar had been named as honorary member of the Royal Yacht Club.

:previous:

Has this been the visit, which was plagued by anti-czarist resentments in the English population and because of this, the Czar only visited the Isle of Wight and then sailed away?

:previous: Yes. It had been declared that if Nicholas II set foot on English soil he might be assassinated.

:previous: Yes. It had been declared that if Nicholas II set foot on English soil he might be assassinated.

Thanks! Yep, the Anglo-Saxons and their love for making their democracy a world wide thing... Back then: Russia. Today: Iraq and Afghanistan...

Thank God, there are no reigning royals there left! I like the light and interesting and sometimes funny Royal Forums. No need for assassinations!

If Tsar Nicholas II had been assassinated on English soil, then Alexis might have succeeded as Tsar Alexis II. Who would have been the regent? His uncle Grand Duke Michael?

There'd have been an almighty row because Alexandra would have thought it should be her! But Michael would have been the obvious one, and this would have been before he blotted his copybook by marrying Natalia Brasova.

Back
Top Bottom