Tiaras and Jewels for the Next Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given that neither the Prussian nor the Sea foam tiara have been worn by Letizia in this reign, I fear they may have been earmarked for Elena and Christina, who will have no real use for them.

I don't think Elena or Cristina will need a tiara,the Prussian Tiara and Shell tiara hopefully will remain in the main line.

Elena has the Marichalar tiara and Cristina clearly doesn't need a tiara at all. I am sure that Queen Sofia knows that her daughters might be better served with other assets, like cash or jewels that they would have occasion to actually wear.

As for the Mellerio shell tiara, Letizia has worn it only once. I can only assume that she just doesn't like it. Tbh, I think that the floral tiara suits her much better. And she usually wore the Prussian tiara when the floral tiara was worn by Sofia. And now that she's queen, she prefers not to wear the smallest tiara. Imho, that doesn't mean that the two tiaras won't be available for princess Leonor and infanta Sofia.

I don't think Elena or Cristina will need a tiara,the Prussian Tiara and Shell tiara hopefully will remain in the main line.

Elena has the Marichalar tiara and Cristina clearly doesn't need a tiara at all. I am sure that Queen Sofia knows that her daughters might be better served with other assets, like cash or jewels that they would have occasion to actually wear.

As for the Mellerio shell tiara, Letizia has worn it only once. I can only assume that she just doesn't like it. Tbh, I think that the floral tiara suits her much better. And she usually wore the Prussian tiara when the floral tiara was worn by Sofia. And now that she's queen, she prefers not to wear the smallest tiara. Imho, that doesn't mean that the two tiaras won't be available for princess Leonor and infanta Sofia.
I can only hope that you are both correct and the two tiaras remain in the main line. Neither Elena nor Christina need tiaras, and if they did require them, I am sure they could be borrowed from Letizia.

Given that neither the Prussian nor the Sea foam tiara have been worn by Letizia in this reign, I fear they may have been earmarked for Elena and Christina, who will have no real use for them.

The Shell tiara is a Spanish RF heirloom dating back to Queen Isabella II, who purchased it for her daughther around 1868, I think. I doubt Queen Sofia will leave it to someone outside the main line. The Prussian tiara, on the other hand, came with Sofia from Greece and she has greater freedom to bequeath it to her daughters if she wants, although I think it will go to the Princess of Asturias as her starter tiara.

I also think that Princess Irene, who has no children, might leave her tiaras to King Felipe VI if she outlives Queen Sofia (otherwise, she will leave them to her sister). Given that Irene largely lives with Sofia at Zarzuela, apparently at the Spanish taxpayers' expense (?), she owes a debt of gratitude to the Spanish Royal Household (to say the least).

Last edited:
the tiara of Princess Irene was last seen in the mid 90's and worn by her niece the Infanta Elena :previous:

The Shell tiara is a Spanish RF heirloom dating back to Queen Isabella II, who purchased it for her daughther around 1868, I think. I doubt Queen Sofia will leave it to someone outside the main line. The Prussian tiara, on the other hand, came with Sofia from Greece and she has greater freedom to bequeath it to her daughters if she wants, although I think it will go to the Princess of Asturias as her starter tiara.

I also think that Princess Irene, who has no children, might leave her tiaras to King Felipe VI if she outlives Queen Sofia (otherwise, she will leave them to her sister). Given that Irene largely lives with Sofia at Zarzuela, apparently at the Spanish taxpayers' expense (?), she owes a debt of gratitude to the Spanish Royal Household (to say the least).
Regardless of who is paying for Princess Irene’s expenses, I have no doubt she will give her jewels to her sisters family.

It would be quite exciting to see the circle tiara of Princess Irene eventually worn by Leonor and Sofia. It's the right size for young Princesses. I assume that the Spanish RF will continue the sharing of the smaller tiaras between the ladies in the family. So I hope that the sisters won't be stuck with one personal tiara but have access to all the smaller tiaras.

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but I think Crown Princess Mary's wedding tiara would make a lovely tiara for Isabella, once she's of age. It's not too big, but it's not too small, either.

It would be quite exciting to see the circle tiara of Princess Irene eventually worn by Leonor and Sofia. It's the right size for young Princesses. I assume that the Spanish RF will continue the sharing of the smaller tiaras between the ladies in the family. So I hope that the sisters won't be stuck with one personal tiara but have access to all the smaller tiaras.

I really hope the Spanish collection is not broken up and remains intact for the next generation.

Who knows Felipe VI may present his daughters with a tiara of their own as King Juan Carlos should have done!

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but I think Crown Princess Mary's wedding tiara would make a lovely tiara for Isabella, once she's of age. It's not too big, but it's not too small, either.
I agree, the tiara would be very fitting for a young princess. But I wonder if CP Mary would be willing to give up wearing the wedding tiara and entirely leaves it to one of her daughters. Maybe they will start sharing tiaras? Another good starter tiara is the tuquoise bandeau. But it is limiting color choices of the gowns, so maybe sharing will be an option? And I also believe that Mary had the next generation in mind when she bought the antique tiara at an auction.

Regardless of who is paying for Princess Irene’s expenses, I have no doubt she will give her jewels to her sisters family.

Isn’t the King her sister’s son? I don’t see how your argument contradicts mine.

My point is that, since Irene doesn’t have any children of her own, her natural heir is Queen Sofia. But, if she outlives her sister, she will leave her tiara instead either to her nephew or her nieces and, in this case, I think it makes more sense to leave it to the King , whose family will make better use of the tiara, and who has been supporting Irene after all since the abdication.

I hope that the Prussian tiara will pass to Leonor, and that it will be the first tiara worn by her and that she will also wear it when she gets married.
I also hope that the Mellerio floral tiara will also continue in the main line.

Isn’t the King her sister’s son? I don’t see how your argument contradicts mine.

My point is that, since Irene doesn’t have any children of her own, her natural heir is Queen Sofia. But, if she outlives her sister, she will leave her tiara instead either to her nephew or her nieces and, in this case, I think it makes more sense to leave it to the King , whose family will make better use of the tiara, and who has been supporting Irene after all since the abdication.
I just didn’t think it was necessary to bring the Spanish taxpayers issue as taxpayers didn’t pay for Princess Irene’s jewels and it will be up to the Princess to give or even sell her jewels.

Princess Irene could also leave them to her brothers family, but since the Greek royal family are non-reigning I hope she leaves them to her spanish relatives

My point is that, since Irene doesn’t have any children of her own, her natural heir is Queen Sofia.

She also has a brother who would be in the same position as Queen Sofia. And if he dies before her then his children would come in his place

Ant the last time it was seen was in 1993 when Infanta Elena borrowed it from her aunt

And hopefully will be seen again on one of Princess Irene's Grand Nieces!

While Princess Irene's circle tiara is the one I'm most interested in seeing again she has a second tiara that her grandnieces could inherit.

The Greek Pearl and Diamond Necklace/Tiara reminds me of Queen Letizia's new tiara, the Ansorena Fleur-de-Lis Tiara. Queen Frederika only wore it as a necklace but Princess Irene wore it as a tiara at least once.

Leonor turns 18 in October next year, when will we see her in a tiara for the first time? Does the Spanish Royal Family have any traditional tiara events aside from state banquets?

The Greek Pearl and Diamond Necklace/Tiara reminds me of Queen Letizia's new tiara, the Ansorena Fleur-de-Lis Tiara. Queen Frederika only wore it as a necklace but Princess Irene wore it as a tiara at least once.

Leonor turns 18 in October next year, when will we see her in a tiara for the first time? Does the Spanish Royal Family have any traditional tiara events aside from state banquets?

The pearl necklace/tiara was qorn quiet freqently by Princess Irene in the 60's. Not sure if she still has it as it hasn't been since decades.
No the spanish RF don't have tiara Events beside State Banquets so i guess it will be some time before we see Princess Leonor in a tiara for the first time.

While Princess Irene's circle tiara is the one I'm most interested in seeing again she has a second tiara that her grandnieces could inherit.

I don't think there is any tiara event aside from state banquets in the Spanish court nowadays. But Leonor might start attending state banquets when she comes of age. I believe she will do her university studies in Spain rather than overseas, so she will be available.

I don't recall how old Prince Felipe was when he attended his first state dinner (I am sure someone else can answer that), but he was present at the state dinner for Queen Elizabeth II at the Royal Palace of Madrid in 1988, when he was only 20.

Last edited:
Is the Greek Pearl and Diamond Necklace/Tiara actually owned by Princess Irene?

In all likeliness the pearl necklace-tiara has been sold quietly decades ago. It's the most logical explanation for not wearing it for several decades. I don't expect the tiara to surface again.

In all likeliness the pearl necklace-tiara has been sold quietly decades ago. It's the most logical explanation for not wearing it for several decades. I don't expect the tiara to surface again.
But then Princess Irene has no occasions to wear a tiara.

I think the the Dutch Aquamarine Parure Tiara would make a great first tiara for Princess Alexia. I think aquamarines will look really pretty with her reddish hair color and based on the outfit she choose for the last family photos she might appreciate the retro look of an art deco style tiara.

For Princess Ariane I'm leaning toward the Pearl Button Tiara or maybe Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara.

How would a 18th birthday tiara for Princess Isabella of Denmark?

:previous: Queen Leonor of Spain would look lovely wearing the Niarchos Ruby Tiara.

Back
Top Bottom