Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would really be good for Meghan to have her own tiara so that she would have something to hand down to their children. Anything loaned from the royal collection would have to be returned to the monarchy. Harry's line will get nothing due to inheritance taxes.

Where are they going to wear these jewels? There aren't that many tiara events they attend each year. I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of generosity....it's to do with opportunity.

LaRae

It would really be good for Meghan to have her own tiara so that she would have something to hand down to their children. Anything loaned from the royal collection would have to be returned to the monarchy. Harry's line will get nothing due to inheritance taxes.

Harry will be taken care of...his father and grandmother both will leave him money and personal items.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why he wouldn't gift her one for her wedding? If the Queen's offerings are slim or said future daughter-in-law had something else in mind, I think he would happily purchase a tiara for her.
I think that royal watchers get more worked up over tiaras than the royals themselves. Diana in her 15 plus years as a high ranking royal only wore one tiara from the royal collection and Sarah never wore a royal collection tiara. Of all the petty and non-petty complaints I have heard attributed to insiders about the way the BRF does things, I don't recall any complaints or negative feelings about access to royal jewels.

I agree that Charles would purchase a tiara for his daughter-in-law, I just find it unlikely that if a future daughter-in-law had access to Charles' deep pockets that she would choose a tiara over other options as a wedding gift, perhaps as a gift a few years into the marriage but not a wedding gift.

Last edited:
My guess is Sophie likes it? Not everyone has the same taste that's for sure!

LaRae

I've never yet heard anyone admire that tiara! :whistling:

I hope Meghan has more luck than Sophie did.

But traditionally, it's a gift given by the monarch right? Well, by tradition I mean HMQ paid for Fergie and Sohpie's tiaras. :lol:

Well, no. Traditionally (as I understand it), the bride would wear one of her own family's tiaras for the wedding. Remember, until recently it was pretty uncommon for a royal prince to marry a woman who didn't have the sort of pedigree that came with things like family tiaras.

Royal families all over Europe have had to figure out what their new bridal tiara tradition should be now that princes often marrying commoners. So there were two instances where QEII opted for buying new jewels for her daughters in law, but that doesn't mean she was set on that becoming "tradition."

The BRF doesn't have as big a tradition of sharing jewels as royals like the Swedes do. So that probably made them less likely to have considered loans as their first option for outfitting tiara-less brides. I suspect there was also some thought that Andrew and Edward's lines would each need a tiara to hand down as each generation grows further and further from the throne. That might be a concern that comes to mind when Harry marries, too. But as the number of British events where non-royals have occasion to wear tiaras shrinks, the need for giving the new couple something that can become their Duchy's new house jewel likely becomes less of a concern--and subsequently loaning may seem more attractive.

What's more, as it's turned out, there hasn't been a great track record for "starter" tiaras getting a lot of wear after the first few years (think Sophie, CP Mary, the tiaras given to teenaged Victoria and Madeleine, etc.). I suspect one reason they usually seem to be sort of light and frothy is partly because substantial tiaras feel a little intimidating to women who haven't been around them all their life, or to very young women. But as they figure out their "princess style," those first tiaras become sort of silly looking. It makes some sense for the Swedes to give them to their princesses because they have a lot of tiara events and the girls start attending in full regalia at a relatively young age. They need something before they're old enough to carry off a big diamond fringe or whatnot. But most of the women who marry in as full-grown adults (and who don't have neck pain issues *ahem*Mette-Marit*) might as well be encouraged to just go ahead and wear something from the vaults befitting their age and newfound station.

I think that royal watchers get more worked up over tiaras than the royals themselves. Diana in her 15 plus years as a high ranking royal only wore one tiara from the royal collection and Sarah never wore a royal collection tiara. Of all the petty and non-petty complaints I have heard from insiders about the way the BRF does things, I don't recall any complaints or negative feelings about access to royal jewels.

I agree that Charles would purchase a tiara for his daughter-in-law, I just find it unlikely that if a future daughter-in-law had access to Charles' deep pockets that she would choose a tiara over other options as a wedding gift, perhaps as a gift a few years into the marriage but not a wedding gift.

Well, after what Sophie was given for her wedding, I think the complaints are valid. Lol I wouldn't want to see a repeat of that merely because the Queen doesn't want to part with some of the nicer tiaras, for whatever reason.

Regardless of what Diana or Sarah were or weren't given from the collection, they both had lovely tiaras for their wedding day. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me whether Meghan gets a new tiara or one of the vault. I just would like it to be something that really suits her

:previous: I am not head over heels in love with Sophie's tiara but to me she looked good on her wedding day and when she wore the tiara to other events. There are other tiaras I dislike more as wedding and/or starter tiaras like Kate's, Sofia of Sweden, Mary and Letizia's.

Also it may be a matter of taste. It seems like many will be thrilled to see a BRF member wearing the Strathmore Rose Tiara but my reaction will probably be :yuk:.

Last edited:
Well, after what Sophie was given for her wedding, I think the complaints are valid. Lol I wouldn't want to see a repeat of that merely because the Queen doesn't want to part with some of the nicer tiaras, for whatever reason.

Regardless of what Diana or Sarah were or weren't given from the collection, they both had lovely tiaras for their wedding day. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me whether Meghan gets a new tiara or one of the vault. I just would like it to be something that really suits her

It's been speculated though that Sophie's tiara was assembled from parts of Queen Victoria's coronation jewels. That gives it more important provenance than either Diana's or Sarah's tiaras.

I don't love the design but I appreciate the history

Queen Victoria jewels or not, I would choose Sarah or Diana's tiara every time over Sophie's.

:previous: I am not head over heels in love with Sophie's tiara but to me she looked good on her wedding day and when she wore the tiara to other events. There are other tiaras I dislike more as wedding and/or starter tiaras like Kate's, Sofia of Sweden, Mary and Letizia's.

Also it is a may be a matter of taste. It seems like many will be thrilled to see a BRF member wearing the Strathmore Rose Tiara but my reaction will probably be :yuk:.

Yes, it's matter of taste but I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a few people who actually liked Sophie's tiara. :lol:

Sophie's wedding tiara could be made lovely by bridging between the elements. It could be much more cohesive.

Sophie's wedding tiara could be made lovely by bridging between the elements. It could be much more cohesive.
I agree, a few well placed pearls and some more diamonds can substantially improve tgat tiara. Look at what Mary of Denmark has achieved with her tiara

Trust funds. That skirts the tax problem.
Needing a tiara in her regular royal life probably won't occur very often.

Last edited:
I agree, a few well placed pearls and some more diamonds can substantially improve tgat tiara. Look at what Mary of Denmark has achieved with her tiara

They should also change the high frame and or cover it with some diamonds or pearls.

Last edited:
Trust funds. That skirts the tax problem.
Needing a tiara in her regular royal life probably won't occur very often.

Meghan will probably attend just as many as most of the other royal ladies once she's in regular royal duty rotation. Sophie attends most state dinner, which is the main tiara events domestically, but she just doesn't get photographed as often. In fact Sophie probably attends more since her and Edward tend to be the Queen's representative to a lot of foreign royal events like weddings and birthdays and such. I would expect Meghan to at least attend state dinners regularly.

:previous:

True, but there's usually one state dinner per year, if that.

Given the choice, Meghan may prefer lovely earrings or a bracelet over a tiara that she will rarely wear.

Given the choice, Meghan may prefer lovely earrings or a bracelet over a tiara that she will rarely wear.

She'll have all three. Plus, state dinners vary as depending on how many foreign visits there are. With Brexit, I'd imagine that number would go up as now Britain is on its own with diplomacy. Bottomline is she's going to need a tiara to pass down. While the Linleys sold the Potimore, there is at least one other tiara in the family. Seems to me that most of the royal lines kept at least one tiara for wedding uses. Peers do get invited to state dinners at times and their wives do wear a tiara to those events if there is a family tiara.

I highly doubt the Queen and Prince Charles would skimp on the jewels. I know Kate got jewelry from Prince Charles for her wedding as well. I'm sure Harry would be gifting his wife with jewels during their marriage as well. The Queen do loan out jewels other than tiaras. On top of that, I still think there are jewels Princess Diana left behind that we haven't seen either on her or Kate. She was gifted a large amount of jewels for her wedding and those were hers to deal with however she pleases.

Last edited:

Typically, two incoming state dinners and the Diplomatic Corps reception.

Yeah I mentioned that a few days ago here....how often will she really need a tiara? 2 or 3 times a year. She could borrow one for her wedding.

Even if they create one...it's going to get passed down to the children and then eventually they will be most likely be out of the family loop when it comes to tiara events' other than weddings.

LaRae

Yeah I mentioned that a few days ago here....how often will she really need a tiara? 2 or 3 times a year. She could borrow one for her wedding.

Even if they create one...it's going to get passed down to the children and then eventually they will be most likely be out of the family loop when it comes to tiara events' other than weddings.

LaRae

I think they would keep a tiara the same way that Spencers keep at least one tiara like many other peerage families. It's not a practical thing that you'd be able to bring out on a daily basis, but the Brits seems to like them. This is why I think she'll have at least one tiara that's her and not borrowed from the vault or otherwise.

The Spencer tiara has stayed in the family because most of the property goes to the eldest son, they typically don't make acquisitions like that for a second son. Nevertheless I expect a tiara to be acquired for Harry since he will have a dukedom but I don't think that there is a need for a substantial tiara to be acquired for Harry's wife for the wedding or the few tiara events that happen each year that she may or may not get invited to.

Speaking of the Spencer Tiara, my hope was that the Spencers would make that available to Harry's wife but it's been pointed out that will not likely happen because it is earmarked for Spencer men and women (presumably the once who carry the Spencer name) and women who marry Spencer men, but I am still holding out a teensy amount of hope that it will be made available for Harry's wife.

The Spencer tiara has stayed in the family because most of the property goes to the eldest son, they typically don't make acquisitions like that for a second son. Nevertheless I expect a tiara to be acquired for Harry since he will have a dukedom but I don't think that there is a need for a substantial tiara to be acquired for Harry's wife for the wedding or the few tiara events that happen each year that she may or may not get invited to.

I'm well aware of the property being passed to first son in dukedoms and they don't typically make purchase for second son. However, Harry is the first duke in his line. When it comes to his children, I wouldn't expect a tiara to be purchased for the second son if they have more than one son.

Again, I don't understand why people think she wouldn't have that many to go to in the future compared to the current royal ladies. She'll be in most state dinners. Harry just attended his first state dinner, so I'd expect that he would be at most of them from now on unless he has a conflict. Edward and Sophie actually attend a lot of state dinners, they just don't sit at the head table or get photographed as much.

:previous: There are possibly three public/semi-public tiara events each year, plus I'll throw in that there are private family events. If Harry and his wife participate in all events then his wife can wear the same tiara to all events. Using Sophie as an example she debuted her wedding tiara in 1999, and the first time she wore a different tiara was 2004.

Last edited:
I wonder whether at some point Harry and wife will start representing the BRF abroad (the role that Edward and Sophie currently fulfill); that would also include tiara events...

Probably at some point Harry and his wife will represent the monarch abroad. There aren't that many tiara events however wherever they go - other than visits to other royals or things like CHOGM - and Harry isn't high enough on the totem pole to represent the monarch at that.

A lot would depend on how much longer the Queen lives along with Charles. If William is King in the next 10 years then Harry would represent the monarch at tiara type events more often than if it is 30+ years by which time it would be George and Charlotte in those roles.

Just throwing this into the mix. There will be three future events where Harry's wife will definitely need a tiara and those events will be coronations. Charles, William and George's coronations most likely will happen during Harry's marriage. If they have a daughter and she is of age, she also will need a tiara for George's coronation.

I'm just guessing but I think there will be one tiara that is going to be Harry's wife's (which for future generations could be the Sussex tiara or whatever dukedom Harry is granted) and one that will be on loan from the vault. This nicely covers the contingency for George's coronation.

Now that would be what I would call really planning ahead for the future by the BRF. :D

There is not going to be royal weddings on European continent for several years since every one is basically already married or young kids. Royal funerals/coronations is basically handled by the heir apparent so that will be William in Charles's reign. The Queen doesn't do much overseas travel anymore. We don't know if Charles will do something similar when he is King. Initially King Charles will want to visit the various overseas realms himself as King plus he will want to call upon his various royal counterparts in person. The same thing with King William. So I don't see a large need for Harry to represent the monarch overseas other than the various normal tours based on the requests of the Foreign office which aren't going to be Tiara events.

Just throwing this into the mix. There will be three future events where Harry's wife will definitely need a tiara and those events will be coronations. Charles, William and George's coronations most likely will happen during Harry's marriage. If they have a daughter and she is of age, she also will need a tiara for George's coronation.

Big maybe on whether Harry and wife will be around to attend George's coronation.

Big maybe on whether Harry and wife will be around to attend George's coronation.

With the longevity in the Windsor genes, I would think its very likely. I was going to quip that perhaps the Queen would even still be around but then reality sunk in and if the Queen was still around, there wouldn't be another coronation. :whistling:

When George's coronation does happen, Harry's kids will be first cousins to George and most definitely at the coronation. Harry and his wife (if still living) will be aunt and uncle to the monarch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom