The Queen and New Zealand: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Zealand Flag

After losing momentum earlier this year, the call to change the flag of New Zealand is back. The Prime Minister, Mr John Key, stated today that he would like to hold a referendum next year. Looking at some of the comments, I noticed how often people talk of a flag that represents modern New Zealand. It got me thinking about the purpose of a national flag. If its primary role is to identify a country, does it also need to symbolise unique, and often intangible, aspects of a nation’s culture and society?

I think some of the designs for an alternative New Zealand flag, and an alternative Australian flag, are far too heavy on symbolism. There can also be problems with standards of vexillology (e.g. animals not facing the hoist, backsides with different reverses, and sewing/manufacturing complications).

Another regular comment is that the flag of New Zealand is too similar to the flag of Australia, and is not recognised internationally. I don’t have much time for this argument. It strikes me as a bit self centred to expect the rest of the world to recognise your nation’s flag, while, for the most part, not returning the favour. Is a silver fern on a black background really going to be any more recognised in Montevideo, Kampala, Minsk or Thimphu than the current flag of New Zealand? I’m not so sure. Very few flags have achieved worldwide recognition, particularly if they do not represent a world power.

Last edited by a moderator:
It reminds me of polls that came out before the Oz referendum on the subject. To hear our republicans on the subject then the Governor General should have been packing his suitcases and ordering the removal vans the night before! :lol:

It's odd to say the least - I haven't noticed any major opinion shifts - stark indifference seems to be the default.

The poll is fundamentally flawed, and with a sample of just over one thousand it cannot be taken seriously. It asked:

What is your preference for New Zealand's next head of State?

But the current arrangement is not given as an option. The "British monarch" is not New Zealand's head of state, the New Zealand monarch is. They may be the same person, but the crowns are constitutionally separate. All the reports on this poll make that mistake. If New Zealand became a republic, it is nothing to do with "breaking ties" with the United Kingdom, it is all about abolishing the New Zealand crown, comprised of the Queen of New Zealand and the Governor-General of New Zealand. New Zealand also has the added complication of the Treaty of Waitangi to consider (which does involve the British monarch).

Republic New Zealand's campaign team includes the man who led the flag change campaign; not exactly a ringing endorsement of his skills. Apart from one Maori, they are all white men; not exactly representative of New Zealand society today.

...If New Zealand became a republic, it is nothing to do with "breaking ties" with the United Kingdom, it is all about abolishing the New Zealand crown, comprised of the Queen of New Zealand and the Governor-General of New Zealand. New Zealand also has the added complication of the Treaty of Waitangi to consider which does involve the British monarch

The role of the Crown (not the person of monarch) in the ToW under current New Zealand Constitutional Law really means the New Zealand Government, and would probably remain so in the advent of a NZ republic, due to State succession i.e. The hypothetical republic of Aoteroa would inherit the rights and responsibilities of the former dominion of New Zealand including those outlined between the crown (i.e. The govt or the state) and the Iwi who were signatories on that fine February day in 1840.

However it does need to be pointed out that for some the possibly of negating the ToW is an attraction of the idea of an NZ republic.

That 'poll' was conducted by the 'republicans' in NZ so there are questions about its reliability given the source.

Good to see Harry doing some things as he has been unemployed now for over a year since he left the army in June 2015.

Everyone is on the York girls for not working, even though Eugenie has had a full-time job since leaving school and Beatrice has had a number of jobs and hasn't be unemployed for over a year ever.

Frankly, having a Head of State that is a foreigner is somewhat silly. But it is still up to New Zealanders, not me.

That 'poll' was conducted by the 'republicans' in NZ so there are questions about its reliability given the source.

Good to see Harry doing some things as he has been unemployed now for over a year since he left the army in June 2015.

Everyone is on the York girls for not working, even though Eugenie has had a full-time job since leaving school and Beatrice has had a number of jobs and hasn't be unemployed for over a year ever.

I like to think that what Harry is doing with the Invictus Games and working with conservationists in Africa as getting background and training for when he does take on his full time job as a working royal. Being single and so popular too with the public, I think we're going to see him more and more taking on foreign tours for his grandmother. But.. this is OT and should be in Harry's threads.

I think even if New Zealand did eventually vote to become a republic and have their own native head of state, the ties to Britain and the UK will still remain strong such as Canada is and the other Commonwealth nations.

I thoroughly agree with you, Osipi. What Harry is doing at the moment in Africa is praiseworthy, IMO. His tour in the Caribbean in 2012 was a great success and I have no doubt this forthcoming one will be too.

However, as far as touring New Zealand goes, apart from Mr Hardcastle, (whoever he may be) I haven't read any other source that says he will be visiting NZ. Is it official that Harry will be visiting? Perhaps Mr H was just having a bit of a joke about republican tendencies down under?

The article seems more like jokey speculation. KP would announce the tour not the Queen. They already announced the Caribbean tour for Harry. Plus Harry was just in NZ for tour last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

New Zealand is set to have a new self-proclaimed republican prime minister, Jacinda Ardern . Any reactions ?

Last edited:
I expect a republic will happen one day ... but i don't want it!!!

The Queen has been my Queen for all of my life. And i'm not that young so for quite a while.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if New Zealand voted to become a republic, they could also opt to remain in the Commonwealth? That sounds like the most logical solution to me if possible.

Other than the first month of my life minus 2 days, Queen Elizabeth has been on the throne. Now *that* dates me. :eek:

Yes - if NZ voted to become a republic they could stay in the Commonwealth. The vast majority of the countries in the Commonwealth are republics and some weren't even part of the old British Empire.

Technically they would have to apply for membership and any existing member could veto that membership but that won't happen, any more than it would if any of the other realms voted to become republics.

I always know how long the Queen has been Queen as she ascended the throne 4 days after my parents wedding.

Can I add some context? Most NZ PM’s (and a fair chunk of NZ’s political class and most of the denizens of the Wellington beltway) since the 1980s have had republican sympathies but since most of the population support the monarchy and our standing constitional arrangements, I don’t see the status quo changing anytime soon. A lot of this is tied to the fact NZ doesn’t have a codified constitution and that any possible move towards a republic would possibly bring the Treaty of Waitangi (one of NZ’s major constitutional documents and eqv. to the arrangements the Canadian First Nations viz the Canadian crown) into question as there would no longer be a ‘crown’ for it to be in agreement.

Labour (Ardern’s Party) is in favor of a republic but only if the majority of NZers want one. National (the opposition party) is a monarchist party but two recent National PM’s, Jim Bolger and John Key (maybe Jenny Shipley as well) are in favor of a republic. It’s only ever come up when its been a slow news day, the NZ govt is in conflict with the UK over something, or when the RF are bogged down in scandals. HM the Queen is still very popular here, as are the Cambridge’s and most of the vitriol that the PoW used to be subject to has died down in recent years, so that has not been a problem for some time. What may well sway things in the future might be demographics but that’s mostly conjecture.

How lovely our Queen is to take the time to speak with Heads of State in the Commonwealth. Really she doesn't miss a beat with every political, diplomatic or just plain friendly outreach.

Court Circular 28th April:
Windsor Castle

The Rt. Hon. Jacinda Ardern MP (Prime Minister of New Zealand) had an audience of The Queen via telephone this morning.

How lovely our Queen is to take the time to speak with Heads of State in the Commonwealth. Really she doesn't miss a beat with every political, diplomatic or just plain friendly outreach.

I'd lik to think that she herself is the head of state :flowers:

But I agree that it is wonderful that she makes sure to talk not only to the British prime minister but also to the head of government of one of her other realms.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth speak with Jacinda Ardern PM of New Zealand:

"It was such a busy week last week that I didn’t get a chance to pass on a very special message! Her Majesty the Queen was kind enough to check in to see how New Zealander have been doing as we finish off the year, and to wish everyone a wonderful break (she shared a few memories from her time here during the holiday season, it was really lovely.)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIyxHXYAH4c/

Back
Top Bottom