The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A new official Canadian portrait of Queen Elizabeth has been released. The photograph was taken at Windsor Castle in March 2019.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkdVPlkWMAArKEh?format=jpg&name=medium

The white and red bow ribbon is of course the Order of Canada. What is the other order the Queen is wearing? The Order of Military Merit perhaps?

It is quite interesting that one of the few powers that are exercised personally by the Queen of Canada and not delegated to the Governor General is the power to create new orders and decorations, which is done solely by letters patent issued by the sovereign. Apparently King George VI was adamant about reserving that power to the monarch when he issued the LPs of 1947 constituting the office of Governor General.

Last edited:
This may already have been posted so mods please remove if it has. I cam across this researching something else:

Seems that royal tours were well received at this date in Quebec: Dieu sauve la reine.

And my goodness weren't the people of Newfoundland a hardy lot!!!

Seems that royal tours were well received at this date in Quebec: Dieu sauve la reine.

And my goodness weren't the people of Newfoundland a hardy lot!!!

Just watching a few minutes, this was so... long... ago that it's hard to explain. :eek:

Suffice it to say that Quebec sovereignty was not a thing in 1950(?), and we didn't even have our current famous flag until 1965. And Duplessis is not well-remembered.

This was another world, though I believe HM's fluent French is always appreciated.

Canada's Governor General has presented her resignation due to harassment allegations.
Glad she went on her own free will before the Queen had to be dragged through the mud.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/canadas-governor-general-resigns-report-harassment

Wikipedia speculates that her resignation might have been motivated by financial interests. Can any one of our Canadian members share any light on her resignation?

On January 21, 2021, in what CBC News described as "an unprecedented move", Payette resigned as governor general after the completion of an independent workplace review of several claims of workplace harassment (in the form of, "belittl[ing], berat[ing] and publicly humiliat[ing]" staff), as remaining in her post "would risk inflicting serious damage on the office". (...)
Trudeau was criticized by 15 sources interviewed by CBC for failing to vet Payette properly, as the PMO did not conduct checks with Payette's past employers (Montreal Science Centre and Canadian Olympic Committee) that could have uncovered that her style and temperament were not suited for the diplomatically sensitive and public role of Governor General.
(...) She is entitled to a lifetime pension of nearly $150,000 and also to claim an additional $206,000 in expenses each year. Carleton University academic Philippe Lagassé has speculated that Payette's decision to resign may have been motivated by her desire to protect her entitlements, as parliament would be unlikely to retroactively reduce them.

Wikipedia speculates that her resignation might have been motivated by financial interests. Can any one of our Canadian members share any light on her resignation?

I am not Canadian, but what I read on the CBC site is that the resignation was motivated by allegations of bullying against employees in the office of the Governor General. As usual, she also cited health issues in her family.

I heard her tenure as GG was controversial from the beginning and was seen as another Trudeau blunder. The interesting practical aspect for outsiders like the TRF watchers is that the resignation triggered the provision in the LPs of 1947 under which the Chief Justice of Canada serves as acting GG until a permanent replacement is appointed. The relevant section is reproduced below.

VIII. And We do hereby declare Our pleasure to be that, in the event of the death, incapacity, removal, or absence of Our Governor General out of Canada, all and every the powers and authorities herein granted to him shall, until Our further pleasure is signified therein, be vested in Our Chief Justice for the time being of Canada, (hereinafter called Our Chief Justice) or, in the case of the death, incapacity, removal, or absence of Our Chief Justice, then in the Senior Judge for the time being of the Supreme Court of Canada, then residing in Canada and not being under incapacity; such Chief Justice or Senior Judge of the Supreme Court of Canada, while the said powers and authorities are vested in him, to be known as Our Administrator.

Last edited:
Well this prominent job must have gone straight to her head. To protect her so called entitlements she resigned. Bullying and greed never a good combination. Maybe she got away with it for so long, because she believed she is the Queen of Canada, who knows???

A note on Canadian styles: upon resignation, Mme. Payette lost the style of "Her Excellency", which applies only to the sitting Governor General, but, as a former GG, she retains for life the right to use the prefix "The Right Honourable". She also retains her Canadian honours

CC: Companion of the Order of Canada
CMM: Commander of the Order of Military Merit
COM: Commander of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces
CQ: Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Québec
CD: Canadian Forces Decoration

I am not Canadian, but what I read on the CBC site is that the resignation was motivated by allegations of bullying against employees in the office of the Governor General. As usual, she also cited health issues in her family.

I heard her tenure as GG was controversial from the beginning and was seen as another Trudeau blunder. The interesting practical aspect for outsiders like the TRF watchers is that the resignation triggered the provision in the LPs of 1947 under which the Chief Justice of Canada serves as acting GG until a permanent replacement is appointed. The relevant section is reproduced below.

Canadian here (Ottawa dweller). Indeed her time as GG has been controversial since the start. The harassment and bullying complaints were the final straw, but she also refused to live in the GG residence and often would try to get away from her security detail. She has been noticeably less visible in the role than previous GGs. It will be interesting to see who takes on the role next.

What would the selection process normally look like? Hopefully Trudeau will follow it this time.

I wonder has there ever been thought given to changing how the GG is chosen. Maybe by electoral college as with the German President. Possibly with the proviso that candidates cannot be serving or former members of the federal or provincial legislatures. That way distinguished (apolitical) citizens would continue to be chosen.

Traditionally the GG is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Canadian Prime Minister. The previous Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, created a non-partisan advisory committee to vet candidates and select a GG. Because there is no enshrined process, Justin Trudeau’s government did not use the advisory committee model to select Payette. Media commentators have suggested returning to the committee model, so we shall see!

Traditionally the GG is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Canadian Prime Minister. The previous Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, created a non-partisan advisory committee to vet candidates and select a GG. Because there is no enshrined process, Justin Trudeau’s government did not use the advisory committee model to select Payette. Media commentators have suggested returning to the committee model, so we shall see!

Well that sounds like a much more sensible way to choose a GG. I wonder why the present PM did not do that with Payette.

Am I right in thinking that language politics plays a part? And that the next GG has to be an anglophone?

Last edited:
The monarchy, as all polls show, is safe in the United Kingdom, but it was inevitable that events like Harry and Meghan's interview to Oprah would trigger the usual commentary about the future of the monarchy in the Commonwealth realms, especially post-Elizabeth II.

The following article from the CBC News website sheds some light on the topic in the context of Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/prince-harry-meghan-markle-oprah-trudeau-canada-monarchy-1.5943097

The author in particular raises two common arguments why Canadians, despite not being ardent monarchists, are normally far more reticent than the Australians for example to consider a republican alternative to the current system:

1. The "constitutional can of worms", i.e. the fear that a premier of one of the provinces will inevitably hijack any discussion about the abolition of the monarchy to push some other unrelated constitutional change (typically to weaken federal authority).

2. The "risk of perpetual power struggle", i.e. the fear that, unlike the figurehead Governo General, an elected Head of State with a democratic mandate could potentially challenge the Prime Minister in matters like prorogations of parliament or assent to bills for example, and become a competing power center. That fear is particularly prominent in Canada because Canadians or, at least, Canadian politicians tend to see their system of parliamentary government under the Crown as very stable and contrast it to the seemingly perpetual crisis of "divided government" in the neighboring US presidential system.

When asked if it was "time to scrap the monarchy", PM Trudeau shrugged off the question, saying simply that "now is not the time" to talk about that. Other party leaders such as the leader of the small left-wing NDP, Jagmeet Singh, went further saying he doesn't "see the benefit of the monarchy in Canadians' live", but Mr. Singh is unlikely to ever become PM. Justin Trudeau's predecessor, Stephen Harper of the Conservative Party of Canada, was obviously an outspoken monarchist who restored the word "Royal" to the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force, and pushed for celebrations of the Diamond Jubilee and the anniversary of the War of 1812.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-monarchy-meghan-harry-interview-1.5942549

Last edited:
"In honour of Her Majesty The Queen’s 95th birthday this month, the Royal Canadian Mint has released a new $20 coin. The design features The Queen Elizabeth II Equestrian Statue in Ottawa & the 4 effigies of Her Majesty that have appeared on Canadian coins since 1953"

Here's a video of the queen's from the video call to the Canadian Armed Forces

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...n-named-first-indigenous-governor-general-of/

Inuit leader Mary Simon will serve as the new governor-general, becoming the first Indigenous person to be the Queen’s representative in Canada.

Ms. Simon’s background includes previously serving as president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Canada’s national Inuit organization. She is known as an advocate of Inuit rights.

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-new-governor-general-canada-0

The Queen, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister of Canada, has been pleased to approve the appointment of Ms. Mary Simon as the next Governor General of Canada.

Ms. Simon is the 13th Governor General of Canada to be appointed during Her Majesty’s 69 year reign.

Last edited:
Good luck to GG Simon; that (felt like), or was, a very long vacancy.

That seems like a good move. Good luck to her.

I've always found the treaty between the First Nations and the Crown *directly* very interesting.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...n-named-first-indigenous-governor-general-of/

Inuit leader Mary Simon will serve as the new governor-general, becoming the first Indigenous person to be the Queen’s representative in Canada.

Ms. Simon’s background includes previously serving as president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Canada’s national Inuit organization. She is known as an advocate of Inuit rights.

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-new-governor-general-canada-0

The Queen, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister of Canada, has been pleased to approve the appointment of Ms. Mary Simon as the next Governor General of Canada.

Ms. Simon is the 13th Governor General of Canada to be appointed during Her Majesty’s 69 year reign.

I hope she has a good understanding of the role of the Crown in the constitution of Canada, which is the most important prerequisite for a Governor General.

PS: It is unfortunate that Ms. Simon does not speak French fluently, but it is a plus that she has a diplomatic background.

Last edited:
Installation ceremony of the new Governor General and Commander in Chief in and over Canada with the reading of the Governor General's Royal Commission and the administration of the vice-regal oaths.

Last edited:
The GG has dissolved Parliament and called a snap federal election, at Trudeau's request.

https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...governor-general-request-election-2021-08-15/

Interesting news. Although he can do it under the constitution, is Trudeau abusing the royal prerogative to ask for an election when he thinks the polls will favor him and his party? And especially with a newly sworn-in Governor General whom he himself has nominated and who has ties to previous Liberal governments?

Considering that a new Covid wave is also probably around the corner with the delta variant, I also wonder if the time is right for a national election. I wonder what the Canadian posters think.

Last edited:
Interesting news. Although he can do it under the constitution, is Trudeau abusing the royal prerogative to ask for an election when he thinks the polls will favor him and his party? And especially with a newly sworn-in Governor General whom he himself has nominated and who has ties to previous Liberal governments?

Considering that a new Covid wave is also probably around the corner with the delta variant, I also wonder if the time is right for a national election. I wonder what the Canadian posters think.

I wonder the same thing. I suppose a snap election is something I see as a way out of a political crisis but there isn't any as far as I know.

Of course Trudeau currently has a 'hung' Parliament and is probably seeking to get a clear majority in the House of Commons. Let's hope it doesn't backfire.

Interesting news. Although he can do it under the constitution, is Trudeau abusing the royal prerogative to ask for an election when he thinks the polls will favor him and his party?

Barring the Fixed-Term Parliament Act of 2011, the UK has long had a tradition of PMs choosing when to have the election. Tone Blair called elections early in 2001 and 2005 to suit him politically. Theresa May (2017) and Boris (2019) had a similar idea, but because of the Fixed-Term Parliament Act of 2011, had to obtain the consent of Parliament to hold early elections.

Barring the Fixed-Term Parliament Act of 2011, the UK has long had a tradition of PMs choosing when to have the election. Tone Blair called elections early in 2001 and 2005 to suit him politically. Theresa May (2017) and Boris (2019) had a similar idea, but because of the Fixed-Term Parliament Act of 2011, had to obtain the consent of Parliament to hold early elections.

In 2006, when Stephen Harper was Prime Minister of Canada, he passed a law that set a default date for Canadian federal elections (the third Monday in October in the fourth calendar year after the previous poll). However, unlike the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act in the UK, the Canadian act did not revoke the royal prerogative to dissolve Parliament and call a general election (revoking the prerogative, I think, would require a constitutional amendment under the highly qualified procedure set out in the Constitution Act, 1982, since it would affect the powers of the office of the Governor General).

At the time when the Canadian fixed-date elections act was passed, the understanding was that extraordinary elections should happen exceptionally and that the prerogative power should be used only in the event of a vote of no confidence or a similar political crisis. However, Stephen Harper himself was the first to ignore the fixed date provision when he called a snap election in 2008. And, now again, Trudeau has proven that Canadian prime ministers have no intention to commit to fixed-term parliaments.

By the way, even in the UK, the Conservative manifesto in the last election called for the FTPA to be repealed and I believe that promise was mentioned explicitly in the last Queen's speech, so I think it is safe to assume the royal prerogative power of dissolution will be restored soon in the UK as well.

Last edited:
By the way, even in the UK, the Conservative manifesto in the last election called for the FTPA to be repealed and I believe that promise was mentioned explicitly in the last Queen's speech, so I think it is safe to assume the royal prerogative power of dissolution will be restored soon in the UK as well.

That is correct.

Back
Top Bottom