The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not know the Lady Mountbatten, can someone explain where she was seated or seen?Txs.
Somebody asked where the German princes sat. Well, when the coffin stopped at the beginning of the choir on the left side row 1 Philipp sat and on the top row the Princes from Baden and Hesse. Philipp can again be seen in the background when the Tindals are leaving the choir and walking away from the chapel.

Happy to repeat the full seating arrangement as I figured out by rewatching parts of the video (entrance of the procession into the quire) to get the 'second section' right as that was hardest to decipher.

The seating arrangement in the quire was as follows:

Queen's side:
First section - second row: HM The Queen, the Duke of York, the vice-admiral sir Timothy Laurence & the Princess Royal, the Duke of Sussex
Second section - third row: The Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Second section - end of first row: The Landgrave of Hesse

Prince of Wales's side:
First section - first row: The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor & The Countess of Wessex (& Forfar) & Viscount Severn & The Earl of Wessex (& Forfar), the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
First section - third row: Princess Beatrice & Edo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank, Zara & Mike Tindall
Second section - third row: Peter Phillips, The Earl of Snowdon, Lady Sarah & Daniel Chatto, The Hereditary Prince of Baden
Second section - end of first row: The Fürst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

So, Lady Mountbatten of Burma was seated next to princess Alexandra. In addition, the Landgrave of Hesse did NOT sit on the same row as the hereditary prince of Baden (you mistook Daniel Chatto for the landgrave) but opposite the Fürst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg on the front row.

In the end it doesn't really matter and it was a private note. It could have been "Lillibet" or "your devoted wife", but it would have been very charming if she had signed it "cabbage."

From what I can see (on a few pictures some letters are visible), I would say it says 'Lilibet'.

Pretty sure more than those three people called her Lillibet. Like Pamela and Patricia Mountbatten amongst others....

Agreed, including for example the king of Spain (and probably many of the younger generation of royals), who even used 'aunt Lilibet' in his telegram to the Queen upon learning of the death of the duke of Edinburgh aka 'Uncle Philip'.

Last edited:
I recorded the funeral to watch later. It was beautifully done, the music magnificent, the readings appropriate--all orchestrated by Philip himself.

They got it totally right too on the royal family websites after the funeral was all said and done. That photo of Philip walking away doffing his hat as a "So long..." really was elegant in its simplicity.

Everything about Saturday from start to finish was done to perfection. Just as a perfectionist would have wanted it to be. ?

They got it totally right too on the royal family websites after the funeral was all said and done. That photo of Philip walking away doffing his hat as a "So long..." really was elegant in its simplicity.

Everything about Saturday from start to finish was done to perfection. Just as a perfectionist would have wanted it to be. ?

Totally agree. It was. From start to finish it was beautifully handled. Including the family websites.

I do get a kick out of the fact that it apparently wasn’t planned for the family to walk after the service. I think Philip would have liked going a little off script there.

Katie Nicholl, and other British and non-British royal reporters, make errors all the time. She made an egregious error in a written cover story she did on Princess Anne for Vanity Fair, which is much more damaging because that misrepresentation has been and will be used as evidence of a "royal tradition" that is in fact not a royal tradition.

I think this comes about because a reporter may start reporting a certain royal (or royal adjacent), and they get certain visibility and media outlets start inviting them, or they make themselves available, to give commentary about royals and miscellaneous royal matters. Apparently how knowledgeable they are about royals in general, royal history and conventions isn't a deciding factor in them getting these assignments and opportunities.

Again, Katie Nicholl is not the only royal reporter I have seen give erroneous information, but the Vanity Fair misinformation was (to me) beyond to pale.

I must've missed it - what happened with Vanity Fair and Katie Nicoll's misinformation regarding Princess Anne?.

From what I can see (on a few pictures some letters are visible), I would say it says 'Lilibet'.

Agreed, including for example the king of Spain (and probably many of the younger generation of royals), who even used 'aunt Lilibet' in his telegram to the Queen upon learning of the death of the duke of Edinburgh aka 'Uncle Philip'.

I watched a documentary years ago about the Queen's coronation and Prince Michael was one of the people being interviewed. He referred to the Queen at one point as Lilibet so I imagine her cousins must also be allowed to call her that.

"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was watched by more than 13 million television viewers in the UK, overnight figures showed. The one-hour service was viewed by 11 million people on the BBC, 2.1 million on ITV, and around 450,000 on Sky.
(...)
In 2002, more than 10 million watched the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the UK - though that ceremony was held on a Tuesday. In 1997, the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was watched by 31 million people - a record audience figure. And some 13.1 million tuned into the BBC's coverage of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56792086

I thought a lot of people would watch it live because the Duke has been a prominent public figure here for as long as most of us can remember.

I also thought that more people than 13 million would turn in to Watch the Duke's funeral, for the same reasons you stated.
WOW 31 million for Diana's funeral, I didn't know that. That's a record that I wonder if anyone can replicate!!

I also thought that more people than 13 million would turn in to Watch the Duke's funeral, for the same reasons you stated.
WOW 31 million for Diana's funeral, I didn't know that. That's a record that I wonder if anyone can replicate!!

We have more options now, you tube, catch up tv etc etc

I must say that I was VERY disappointed with CBC coverage of the funeral rites. I started off watching Canadian TV( as I previously posted there was no way in the world I will ever again watch American coverage of a Royal event)

But the chattering by commentators on the CBC was just as bad or even worse than anything that I have seen on CBS or ABC.

During the recitation of the beautiful Sentences as the DoE's body was being carried into St.George's, a female commentator actually turned to someone and said "Let's discuss what his loss will mean" or some other inane statement....and they actually TALKED OVER the Sentences! I couldn't believe it.:mad:

I finally switched to the BBC..which was absolutely perfect all the way to the end.

Last edited:
We have more options now, you tube, catch up tv etc etc
True but Diana was a world icon, and she had died tragically young.. Philip's death is sad but at 99.. people are not shocked and grieved in teh same way....

TV programmes in general get much lower audiences than they used to. In 1997, not everyone had Sky - a lot of people got Sky in 1992, when they took over coverage of the Premier League, but many people who weren't into sport only had the 5 basic channels - and there was no Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. It's very rare for audiences now to reach the levels they did in the '80s and '90s.

There’s an arrival in the Guardian saying that BP should be worried about the hundred thousand complaints to BBC about their coverage of Philip’s passing...but of course, it’s the Guardian, so...They also ripped Charles and pretty much everyone except Anne and Edward...really unseemly. I couldn’t believe Victoria Murphy called it a “very good” article

TV programmes in general get much lower audiences than they used to. In 1997, not everyone had Sky - a lot of people got Sky in 1992, when they took over coverage of the Premier League, but many people who weren't into sport only had the 5 basic channels - and there was no Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. It's very rare for audiences now to reach the levels they did in the '80s and '90s.

Amazing how much things have changed in Philip's lifetime. In 1934, 60% of homes had radios. Philip would have been 13 at that time. At 6 years old, the first "talking picture" was released. He's seen the advent of movies and newsreels. He's seen the advent of television and the metamorphosis over the years into cable TV, the internet and cell phones and video conferencing. So many changes in those 99 years on this earth.

I still get a chuckle thinking of how Philip would hang up on a zoom call. Just close the laptop. I have to say though he was more knowledgeable of things than my hubby is. Hubby just recently joined the 21st century with a smart phone is is going bonkers with Snoopy emojis. :D

Thank you, Betsypaige and Tatiana Maria.

I'm making a progress with the videos. So many of the family look devastated.

I must say that I was VERY disappointed with CBC coverage of the funeral rites. I started off watching Canadian TV( as I previously posted there was no way in the world I will ever again watch American coverage of a Royal event)

But the chattering by commentators on the CBC was just as bad or even worse than anything that I have seen on CBS or ABC.

During the recitation of the beautiful Sentences as the DoE's body was being carried into St.George's, a female commentator actually turned to someone and said "Let's discuss what his loss will mean" or some other inane statement....and they actually TALKED OVER the Sentences! I couldn't believe it.:mad:

I finally switched to the BBC..which was absolutely perfect all the way to the end.

That's the BBC for ya - deliverer to your television doorstep ;)

There’s an arrival in the Guardian saying that BP should be worried about the hundred thousand complaints to BBC about their coverage of Philip’s passing...but of course, it’s the Guardian, so...They also ripped Charles and pretty much everyone except Anne and Edward...really unseemly. I couldn’t believe Victoria Murphy called it a “very good” article

In addition to claiming that right wing forces are trying to exploit Prince Philip's death to wage culture wars, which is utter nonsense. I find it best to ignore 99% of what the Guardian says: this is the newspaper which claimed that wealthy people don't get upset if their children die, because they only feel "privileged pain".

I don't think people moaning about the TV coverage has anything to do with lack of support for the monarchy. Some people were just narked because popular programmes like the Masterchef final were postponed. On the day he died, the BBC and ITV both pulled every programme on every channel and replaced them with tribute programmes, and I can see why people felt that that might have been a bit much, especially as the programmes were all repeated. Showing them on BBC1 and the main ITV channel might have sufficed. But the Guardian is making a big deal out of nothing - people have also moaned about the amount of pandemic coverage, and there are frequent complaints when soap operas are moved from their usual spots because of sports events. Some people just love to moan!

Thank you, Betsypaige and Tatiana Maria.

I'm making a progress with the videos. So many of the family look devastated.

You’re welcome ! They are, and it’s profoundly moving to see.

Interesting article in the Telegraph ...I suppose it was to be expected, but there will be a summit - led by Charles and William - to determine the future of the Monarchy.

Royal insiders say that the two matters cannot be decided in isolation, as the issues of patronage and personnel are inextricably linked.

Because any decisions made now will have repercussions for decades to come, the Prince of Wales will take a leading role in the talks. He has made it clear that the Duke of Cambridge, his own heir, should be involved at every stage because any major decisions taken by 72-year-old Prince Charles will last into Prince William’s reign.

Royal sources explained that the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge, with the help of the Queen, would now have to decide whether the monarchy should continue with its traditional model of thousands of engagements each year, spread out between a broad base of full-time and part-time working royals, or cut down the number of engagements and patronages and use fewer members of the family to fulfil them.

One source said: “The question is whether you start off by deciding how many patronages and engagements there should be, and then work out how many people are needed to achieve them, or whether you decide how many people there should be, which will dictate how many engagements and patronages they can take on.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...de-future-monarchy-led-prince-charles-prince/

That's the BBC for ya -default deliverer.

Insert obligatory comment about Diamond Jubilee River Pageant coverage here. And I'm not talking about the rain. ;) Commentator barely knew what a boat was.

My Mum the huge monarchist moaned a bit about the coverage on every single channel of the Beeb and the fact that it seemed to be just the same 15 minute report with guests swapped in and out, I don't think it means anything in terms of the popularity of the monarchy.

In addition to claiming that right wing forces are trying to exploit Prince Philip's death to wage culture wars, which is utter nonsense. I find it best to ignore 99% of what the Guardian says: this is the newspaper which claimed that wealthy people don't get upset if their children die, because they only feel "privileged pain".

I don't think people moaning about the TV coverage has anything to do with lack of support for the monarchy. Some people were just narked because popular programmes like the Masterchef final were postponed. On the day he died, the BBC and ITV both pulled every programme on every channel and replaced them with tribute programmes, and I can see why people felt that that might have been a bit much, especially as the programmes were all repeated. Showing them on BBC1 and the main ITV channel might have sufficed. But the Guardian is making a big deal out of nothing - people have also moaned about the amount of pandemic coverage, and there are frequent complaints when soap operas are moved from their usual spots because of sports events. Some people just love to moan!

The Guardian said that? No wonder they had no shame in saying today that Charles “appeared” to be broken-up...

Good points ! Plus, it means millions did NOT complain !

Insert obligatory comment about Diamond Jubilee River Pageant coverage here. And I'm not talking about the rain. ;) Commentator barely knew what a boat was.

My Mum the huge monarchist moaned a bit about the coverage on every single channel of the Beeb and the fact that it seemed to be just the same 15 minute report with guests swapped in and out, I don't think it means anything in terms of the popularity of the monarchy.

Perhaps I don't watch the BBC often enough and it probably also depends on who the commentator is/guests are. But I found this coverage excellent and that was actually the point that I was trying to make ;):flowers:

On a lighter note, that one bagpiper they spoke to before the funeral itself started had his looks going for him :D

May I respectfully request that, when press reports or opinion columns appearing in the press are discussed on this forum, the links to the articles be posted so that those of us who have not read the articles yet will be able to understand what the content is that is being discussed? :flowers:

While I am posting it here, my request is a general one and not particular to this discussion or this thread.

no, there were no images of hte RF during the service.. mainly I think to protect the boys, who were probalby in tears by then....

there were fictional "reaction shots" to Spencer's eulogy in the film The Queen. Not in real life as I recall.

I thought the funeral was perfect. The BRF does large scale, impressive pomp and pageantry very well but this smaller, more intimate gathering was immensely moving. The bands playing beforehand, the beautiful setting, the quiet and stillness during the service broken up by the music, which was sublime. I thought this was one of the most truly regal royal events I’ve seen, and also one that allowed for contemplation and reflection, which I think the Queen would have appreciated.

I imagine that this quietly dignified and relatively simple ceremony was much closer to what Philip would have chosen for himself than the very large and grand event originally planned. Royal life demanded that the Duke of Edinburgh make sacrifices, which he did without fail, (although not always without complaint), for over 70 years, so I’m glad he unexpectedly got to do things his way at the very end.

On the complaints, it’s not surprising. The internet makes it much easier to complain about things when we can submit an online form or send an email, rather than having to send a letter and go as far as to pay for a stamp (I presume this would be the way of complaining in the 80’s and 90’s.) Perhaps people didn’t know how to go about complaining 20 or so years ago, now they can just pull out their phone or tablet and Google it.

The BBC gets a lot of criticism anyway for forcing people who don’t like their output to still pay the licence fee. You can avoid it if you Netflix or use ITV et al on catch up, but that means sports events for example are off as there isn’t a Sky Sports catch up player.

It’s possible some of the complaints were people who didn’t like Philip because of his gaffes, while others might have liked him and thought he didn’t want fuss so why was every BBC station showing the same thing? Main programming could have been moved to BBC2 with coverage on BBC1 and the News Channel, as you would expect. I heard that even the BBC Local Radio Stations had it on and BBC4 was taken off air.

Also, as he was never to overshadow HM, it’ll have had people wondering what it’ll look like when that very sad day comes.

I thought the funeral was very well done, in spite of covid. Amazing that four singers could sound like a whole choir. I watched it on BBC here in NZ; we didn't have ITV here so i have no idea what that was like. I did notice the woman who said there were great-grandchildren there (Louise and James); I would have thought she could have got such a basic thing as that right. I loved how Sophie had her arm around James. Everyone looked so sad.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me why the pallbearers had no gloves when they first put Prince Philip's coffin on the landrover, but had switched to gloves when they took him inside St George's?

Back
Top Bottom