The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Just out of interest - was Princess Alexandra there? I didn't see her in any of the coverage.
I am pretty sure she was sitting next to her brother. A few times we could see The Duke of Gloucester (third row in the second section on the side of the queen; close to the Duke of Sussex) and next to him the Duke of Kent. Princess Alexandra was the next one in that row but only partially visible when the procession entered the quire. Next to her was the Countess Mountbatten of Burma (again, only partially visible for a short moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
At 35:42 here, when his coffin is being carried into the chapel, there are three men - one two in the back, and one in the front on the same level of pew as the Duchess of Cambridge. They don't look like the Dukes of Kent or Gloucester, so I suppose they're the German relatives?
You are partly right. The Landgrave of Hesse was seated at the front row on the left side (the Queen's side); while the Fürst if Hohenlohe-Langenburg was seated on the front row on the other side (The Prince of Wales's side); with the Hereditary prince of Baden 2 rows behind him. On that same row were seated: Peter (next to Mike and Zara in the previous section - who on their turn were next to Jack/Eugenie and Edo/Beatrice), the Earl of Snowdon, and Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto (the third 'man' you identified is Daniel Chatto; you can see Sarah's hands next to his, because of her black attire including a hat she is hardly visible otherwise).

To summarize; the seating in the quire was as follows:

Queen's side:
First section - second row: HM The Queen, the Duke of York, the vice-admiral sir Timothy Laurence & the Princess Royal, the Duke of Sussex
Second section - third row: The Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Second section - end of first row: The Landgrave of Hesse

Prince of Wales's side:
First section - first row: The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor & The Countess of Wessex (& Forfar) & Viscount Severn & The Earl of Wessex (& Forfar), the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
First section - third row: Princess Beatrice & Edo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank, Zara & Mike Tindall
Second section - third row: Peter Phillips, The Earl of Snowdon, Lady Sarah & Daniel Chatto, The Hereditary Prince of Baden
Second section - end of first row: The Fürst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

Old 04-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
At 35:42 here, when his coffin is being carried into the chapel, there are three men - one two in the back, and one in the front on the same level of pew as the Duchess of Cambridge. They don't look like the Dukes of Kent or Gloucester, so I suppose they're the German relatives?
Thanks--you're right, I believe those are the relatives

Old 04-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The coffin was lowered from the quire to the royal vault below it; it didn't have to be moved by pallbearers to a different location.

It started to be lowered when the Garter Principal King of Arms made his declaration: "Thus it hath pleased Almighty God to take out of this transitory life unto his divine mercy the late most Illustruous and moste Exalted Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merionet and Baron Greenwich, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, (...) husband of her most excellent Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second (...)." and continued when the Pipe Major started to play; after the bagpipe player had turned around they cut the cameras back one more time to the quire (we saw the bagpipe player walk by the left entrance and the coffin and part of the family). At that point the coffin had been lowered to about floor height. Afterwards the family was left in peace for several minutes (with a lament, the last post, reveille and action stations) and the coffin will have kept moving down until it was out of sight.

After the service while leaving you saw several members of the family (among them Harry and Beatrice) look one more time (in)to the 'gap' in which the coffin had 'disappeared'.
Yesss! Saw it again. That's an astute observation. Btw, Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Harry bowed before leaving the chapel. Whom did they bow to?
Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yesss! Saw it again. That's an astute observation. Btw, Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Harry bowed before leaving the chapel. Whom did they bow to?
I think they, along with Princess Anne, the Earl of Wessex and the Duke/Duchess of Cambridge genuflected to the altar.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The Altar of God.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think they, along with Princess Anne, the Earl of Wessex and the Duke/Duchess of Cambridge genuflected to the altar.
Yes, they all did. Thank you :)
Genuinely asking, is the Queen required to do so as well? Not here, but during other instances.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes, they all did. Thank you :)
Genuinely asking, is the Queen required to do so as well? Not here, but during other instances.

Catholics genuflect to the altar only when the Blessed Sacrament is kept behind it. I don't know what the Anglican custom is.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In the next month or so, the Queen will be kept busy though as I imagine she'll jump right back into what she needs to do with Philip whispering in her ear "Just get on with it". Then there's whatever comes up this year for Trooping the Color/Garter Day and Ascot Week. Philip's absence I think will really hit home when the Queen goes to Balmoral for her summer hiatus.

I imagine all of the Queen's family will definitely make plans to go and spend some time with her at Balmoral this year. Hopefully restrictions in the UK will be more relaxed by then.

I think Summer at Balmoral will be hard on everyone- assuming everyone can indeed go this summer.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some of the military band music prior to the start of the funeral procession at the Quadrangle of Windsor Castle.

Tributes to the late Duke at Piccadilly Circus in London today.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Catholics genuflect to the altar only when the Blessed Sacrament is kept behind it. I don't know what the Anglican custom is.
Whenever they walk past or up to the altar usually. I don't believe it's always to do with the Blessed Sacrament since my church do it and they keep that elsewhere.

The Queen would be required to do so, just as the AoC did. I don't think they do it as much in the Evangelical side of the CofE but I'm not sure. In some places its just the clergy.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Russian Kontakion for the Departed was exquisite.

I've been to Russian funeral services and heard it before, but never as hauntingly beautiful as today at St. George's Chapel.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is the same - but it not a widely carried tradition anymore. At least in my church.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

The hauntingly beautiful Russian Kontakion for the Departed was perfect at the end.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-17-2021, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I noticed at the end when they were walking back up to the Castle, Anne stopped and waited for Zara & Mike before carrying on.I thought that was really touching especially from Anne who we usually associate with being tough as old boots.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

Some nice reports coming out about the wreaths - there was one from Queen Margrethe (from "Daisy"), and others from Queen Beatrix, King Wilhelm and Queen Maxima, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia, King Harald and Queen Sonia, and the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:12 PM
Nobility

http://https://www.facebook.com/watc...ideo&ref=notif

The Patriarchs – An Elegy

A poem by the Poet Laureate, Simon Armitage, to mark the passing of The Duke of Edinburgh.

The weather in the window this morning

is snow, unseasonal singular flakes,

a slow winter’s final shiver. On such an occasion

to presume to eulogise one man is to pipe up

for a whole generation - that crew whose survival

was always the stuff of minor miracle,

who came ashore in orange-crate coracles,

fought ingenious wars, finagled triumphs at sea

with flaming decoy boats, and side-stepped torpedoes.

Husbands to duty, they unrolled their plans

across billiard tables and vehicle bonnets,

regrouped at breakfast. What their secrets were

was everyone’s guess and nobody’s business.

Great-grandfathers from birth, in time they became

both inner core and outer case

in a family heirloom of nesting dolls.

Like evidence of early man their boot-prints stand

in the hardened earth of rose-beds and borders.

They were sons of a zodiac out of sync

with the solar year, but turned their minds

to the day’s big science and heavy questions.

To study their hands at rest was to picture maps

showing hachured valleys and indigo streams, schemes

of old campaigns and reconnaissance missions.

Last of the great avuncular magicians

they kept their best tricks for the grand finale:

Disproving Immortality and Disappearing Entirely.

The major oaks in the wood start tuning up

and skies to come will deliver their tributes.

But for now, a cold April’s closing moments

parachute slowly home, so by mid-afternoon

snow is recast as seed heads and thistledown.

By Simon Armitage, the Poet Laureate

On the above link you can hear it being read out. Truly moving.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder what parts of the whole funeral were special farewell-tributes from several organisations and what parts were planned by Philip.

It was such an incredible dignified funeral. I still cry if I see some pictures.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Tributes to the late Duke at Piccadilly Circus in London today.

That picture of Prince Philip as shown in the screenshot is nice! I found the entire ceremony very solemn, understated and dignified. The BBC does these things best and I watched the entire coverage.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:22 PM
Gentry

Did anyone see Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Lady Ogilvy? I looked through all the pictures, but I didn't see her.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Some nice reports coming out about the wreaths - there was one from Queen Margrethe (from "Daisy"), and others from Queen Beatrix, King Wilhelm and Queen Maxima, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia, King Harald and Queen Sonia, and the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
Without Covid they surely would have either attended or sent representatives.

For future reference: There is no king Wilhelm in the Netherlands. His name is king Willem-Alexander. While his father might be German, he wasn't given a German name; and made a point of including 'Alexander' in his regnal name (many people expected him to reign as 'Willem IV' but he decided against it). Wilhelm was the last German emperor. Beatrix previously was indeed a queen but since her abdication she is being referred to as 'princess'. Only after her death she will be called 'queen' again (like her mother and grandmother before her). And Sonja's name is written with an j instead of i in Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatten View Post
Did anyone see Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Lady Ogilvy? I looked through all the pictures, but I didn't see her.
She was partially visible upon the entry of the procession in the quire. See my previous post that includes the seating arrangement in the quire; and check the video in Norwegianne's post; it is shortly after the time she indicated in her post.