The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article said the room was two hours away, in LA. That's a far enough drive to be worth staying over occasionally, particularly if cost isn't a concern. IIRC, their "spokespeople" denied it, for whatever that's worth. As usual, they made a hash of the statement, and it wasn't even clear what they were denying.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that there are two reports: one involving a hotel in LA, and another one involving a hotel in Montecito. Does anyone know which hotel the denial was in reference to?

I think the denial was regarding his having rooms in a hotel near his home in Montecito. Other reports say he stays at the San Vicente Club in West Los Angeles when he's there for business. (That sounds plausible, since Montecito is several hours from LA.)

The Sun newspaper stated that Harry attended a gym near this supposed hideout in LA, called Barry’s Bootcamp but I know a person who used to go there and he stated that it closed during Covid and hasn’t re-opened so either, wonder of wonders, the Sun has its facts wrong or Harry is attending a closed facility.

The Sun newspaper stated that Harry attended a gym near this supposed hideout in LA, called Barry’s Bootcamp but I know a person who used to go there and he stated that it closed during Covid and hasn’t re-opened so either, wonder of wonders, the Sun has its facts wrong or Harry is attending a closed facility.

Barry’s Bootcamp is a chain with many locations. I attend one myself. There are several in LA.

Yes but this is the one near the San Vincente Club where, according to tabloids Harry is supposed to be going to get away from Meghan. I agree with another poster further upthread that he almost certainly stays at this Club when he’s in LA on business, and doesn’t want to face a very long drive home.

Yes but this is the one near the San Vincente Club where, according to tabloids Harry is supposed to be going to get away from Meghan. I agree with another poster further upthread that he almost certainly stays at this Club when he’s in LA on business, and doesn’t want to face a very long drive home.

I agree that this makes rational sense. Currently, it looks like there are three open Barry’s Bootcamps within a five mile radius of San Vincente Bungalows, one which is only .6 miles away. That of course, does not mean the Sun doesn’t have its facts wrong, just not for this reason.

Let’s move on from speculation about who needs who in the Royal Family, and from any speculation about the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex ending. This thread is to discuss known current events.

Thank you Ista. The article is mostly speculation by a British attorney, but it provides some interesting analysis of the costs involved, and what someone could expect to recoup in the event of a win. I wasn't aware it's not possible to recover 100% of costs, even when a case is successful. It's an expensive business - I understand why people so often settle.

Thank you Ista. The article is mostly speculation by a British attorney, but it provides some interesting analysis of the costs involved, and what someone could expect to recoup in the event of a win. I wasn't aware it's not possible to recover 100% of costs, even when a case is successful. It's an expensive business - I understand why people so often settle.

Thanks for posting this article - I found it very interesting. It's definitely a big risk taking on all these cases - both financially and in terms of his reputation. Granted PH has his army training, but I still can't help wondering if he has the mental resilience to deal with it all.

Presumably Harry is using the top legal firms around. Some of the other people involved in the Mirror phone hacking trials are fairly minor celebs and, whilst not exactly on the breadline, I doubt any of them'll be able to spend £500,000.

Several posts have been deleted as they were again rehashing old events rather than focusing on current events. Moderators have reminded members several times of this guideline and we expect all members to adhere to forum rules.

Regarding Harry and his supposed hotel getaways-

Harry grew up migrating from house to house according to the seasons. London, Sandringham, Balmoral, Highgrove ... all places he regarded as home. Also, school and military locations.

My point is, he may have been used to multiple places to "escape" to. Moving around was his normal life.

I didn't grow up wealthy, but we had a summer house in a beach community here around NY that was so important. I was in a family of eight. To be able to go to another house when school ended, that was everything. We all got used to having another house.

I suspect Harry felt cabin fever being stuck in one house.

I don't blame him.

I do think "Spare" could have touched upon this, but Harry might not have been introspective enough to see this.

Last edited:
I have always thought that Spare and the accompanying Interviews would come back to hurt Harry badly. This action, into the appropriateness of Harry's US Visa in light of his ridiculous boasting of drug use is just one example. Did he lie on the application ?

Unfortunately, I bet down the line, his ill advised revelations will bite him in other ways too.

Last edited:
Divorce speculation is against forum rules. Posts have been removed.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-h...sexs-visa-following-drug-revelations-12893438

A US court is to hear a challenge over Prince Harry's visa.

(I hope it's OK to post a Sky News link. The Telegraph's got the same story, but it's behind a paywall.)

It sounds like the court case next week is on whether the Heritage Foundation has the right to access Harry's visa application through a Freedom of Information Act request. I don't think it's actually going to be a case about whether Harry should lose his visa. (At least not at this point.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-harry-immigration-visa-records-heritage-foundation-lawsuit/

Is it really likely that Harry would be refused entry to the US though? I mean, technically its possible, but don't the authorities have bigger fish to fry? I personally think it was unwise of Harry to write about such stuff (amongst SO much other stuff he's also publicised, silly Harry), but it just feels like a bit of a storm in a teacup!

Is it really likely that Harry would be refused entry to the US though? I mean, technically its possible, but don't the authorities have bigger fish to fry? I personally think it was unwise of Harry to write about such stuff (amongst SO much other stuff he's also publicised, silly Harry), but it just feels like a bit of a storm in a teacup!

Other famous people have had US visas denied for past drug use - Nigella Lawson, Amy Winehouse, etc. It is not uncommon and it is certainly possible that Harry could have his visa renewal application denied when it comes up for review if it's found that he lied on his original application, or if it looks like the Biden administration was granting him special consideration.

Surely a private organization such as the Heritage Foundation has no right to see the personal information a visa application includes? They have no subpoena power nor power of arrest; they may certainly provide information they have to an appropriate governmental entity, but only the government has the ability to follow up on any information provided. I wouldn’t care to have the HF or any other group snooping around in my private information. They’re just stirring the stew, IMO.

Surely a private organization such as the Heritage Foundation has no right to see the personal information a visa application includes? They have no subpoena power nor power of arrest; they may certainly provide information they have to an appropriate governmental entity, but only the government has the ability to follow up on any information provided. I wouldn’t care to have the HF or any other group snooping around in my private information. They’re just stirring the stew, IMO.

By filing a Freedom of Information Act request you can indeed see someone's immigration records. If this request is not granted it will look like Harry is getting special treatment.

You can actually request other people's immigration records through FOIA right on the government website. I'm not sure why The Heritage Foundation even has to go to court over this.

Last edited:
By filing a Freedom of Information Act request you can indeed see someone's immigration records. If this request is not granted it will look like Harry is getting special treatment.

You can actually request other people's immigration records through FOIA right on the government website. I'm not sure why The Heritage Foundation even has to go to court over this.

They either’ve been refused the information or didn’t receive an answer in the delay stated in that freedom of information act, I forgot which it is.

Other famous people have had US visas denied for past drug use - Nigella Lawson, Amy Winehouse, etc. It is not uncommon and it is certainly possible that Harry could have his visa renewal application denied when it comes up for review if it's found that he lied on his original application, or if it looks like the Biden administration was granting him special consideration.

Yes, true enough, and I recall that my own country has refused entry to "celebrities" for various reasons too. It just feels over the top to threaten refusal of entry and risk a diplomatic row (however unpopular Harry is in his country of birth).

Yes, true enough, and I recall that my own country has refused entry to "celebrities" for various reasons too. It just feels over the top to threaten refusal of entry and risk a diplomatic row (however unpopular Harry is in his country of birth).
How are they going to risk a diplomatic row? Harry is no diplomat nor does he represent the U.K on any diplomatic level.

You can normally only request someone else's immigration records with their consent*. I don't know what the exceptions are or why Heritage claims it's entitled to one.

*The government website says that you can request "someone else’s immigration records, if you have their written permission."

Last edited:
Without straying too far into the political, it is basic government oversight and a question of whether or not Harry was given special consideration when he made his visa application. We don't know, for certain, when he made the initial application or when it was approved. It is a matter of public interest to see the law applied fairly and evenly, and Harry has publicly disclosed his past drug use through his memoir, which raises the questions - 1) did he lie on his original application? 2) if not, was he required to follow the same procedures as anyone else with a history of past drug use in order to prove he was clean and the visa only approved after that? 3) if he did lie, why has he been allowed to remain in the country instead of being deported? 4) if he did lie, will his visa renewal application be denied when it is submitted due to the original lie?

Last edited:
How are they going to risk a diplomatic row? Harry is no diplomat nor does he represent the U.K on any diplomatic level.

It wasn't literal. I used the term "diplomatic row" to represent the noisy argument (more screaming headlines from the press) between the Sussex's, the US Government and the media that would ensue if Harry was denied entry to the country. :flowers:

It's not about Harry. It's all about local politics and a chance to become famous for this organization.

The Heritage Foundation isn't about their members being famous. East Coast and Texan conservatives, some dating from the Reagan era. These people don't like being on the front page.

I think this is about someone with ties to the Heritage Foundation having issues with visas or entry to the UK.

Getting information via the FOIA is sometimes like pulling teeth. It can take a long time to get information, as most newspaper investigative reporters can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom