The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it is not. Again, listen to "Louie" (spelled like that) on Google Translator using English as a source language, and to "Louis" using French as source language. In the French pronunciaton, the stress is in the last syllable and the final vowel is longer.

My undestanding is that the prince will be known as "Louie" in the British English pronunciation.

PS: If you listen to "Louis" on Google Translator using English as a source language, you will get the American pronunciation "Lewis".

Well maybe you could leave to a French to judge how you could spell a name ... in French ?
Louie and Louis are pronunciated the exact same way in French. aka the pronunciaton "Louie" in English (according to Google Translator).

Well maybe you could leave to a French to judge how you could spell a name ... in French ?
Louie and Louis are pronunciated the exact same way in French. aka the pronunciaton "Louie" in English (according to Google Translator).

My point is that Louie in English is not pronounced as Louis in French. And I stand by that statement, which is confirmed by the audio function on Google Translator provided that you select the right source language.

Incidentally, I didn't say anything about how Louis should be spelled in French.

https://translate.google.com/#en/fr/Louie

https://translate.google.com/#fr/en/Louis

Last edited:
My point is that Louie in English is not pronounced as Louis in French. And I stand by that statement, which is confirmed by the audio function on Google Translator provided that you select the right source language.

Incidentally, I didn't say anything about how Louis should be spelled in French.

It's called a foreign accent, if it's pronounced or not. Frankly it's more or less the same ...
Nitpicking as its best.

Breaking up this debacle; but I just found a sweet photo of George and Charlotte getting out of the car with William whilst visiting baby Louis at the Lindo Wing on Monday:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2b/83/bb/2b83bb2c644a71b23e883b8aff2b0aab.jpg

I hadn't seen it before so thought I'd share ?
That's a very cute photo, thanks for sharing. It makes me think that soon William will take 3 kids out of his car:D his hands will be full...or...needing a third hand :lol:
BTW, tuesday or wednesday we will get the birthday picture of Charlotte, right? They have been posting George and Charlotte's birthday photos since they were born, so I'll be expecting one of Charlotte's 3rd birthday. How time flies!:flowers:

Is Prince Louis Prince Louis Windsor or is he Prince Louis Mountbatten-Windsor?

:previous: Mbruno wasn't suggesting the name was hard to pronounce, or uncommon in the UK. Or too French.

He was suggesting it was 'pedantic' aka formal/boring. It seems a bit stuffy compared to Harry.

Charles was the stiff formal name of the heir, Andrew a bit more casual (Andy). William was the more formal name of the heir, Harry got a permanent nickname publically from birth.

No, he was suggesting that using the French pronunciation was pedantic, not the name. And it emerged that he meant authentic French ("Lwee") rather than just "Lou-ee".

Your perception of the name is your own, of course, but I doubt many Britons would think Louis formal or stuffy. It's enjoyed a recent spell of popularity here so has a youthful image just now.

Small correction......its not my opinion of the name :ermm: Never said it was. I actually like the name Louis (though not as much a fan of it as a 1st name for a British prince).

It was my interpretation of what Mbruno said. Of his opinion of the name :sad: When people use the term 'pedantic' for name, it means old fashioned/stuffy/over learned and so on.

Mbruno was comparing the names of three generations of 2nd sons (Andrew, Harry, Louis). Not the pronunciation of the names.

As for your names having come back into popularity...yes in response to the years of people naming kids Jayden, Aiden, Payton, Frayden, Kayden, and every other variation, going back to 'classic' names has become popular.

Where to start ....

When I said "Your perception of the name is your own", I meant exactly that, no more, no less. I was not attributing anyone else's opinion to you.

"Pedantic" does NOT mean old fashioned or stuffy. It means schoolmasterly, and by extension nitpicking. Being pedantic over the pronunciation of Louis is not being critical of the name in itself, merely of the way the name is said.

Your comment about the names Charles, Andrew, William and Harry reads as if it is your own view.

As for your final comment (I assume we are discussing names in England & Wales, as this is the relevant context). I can't agree that classic names in general have come "back into popularity". They are perennially popular as a type, although there is ebb and flow within the classic genre. And that is not in "response" to names like Jayden et al. It is just a matter of taste. There are people who like long-established names and there are others who prefer modern names.

Incidentally Aiden (or Aidan) is the anglicised version of a very old Irish name. I was born in the 1950s and had a playmate named Aidan, so it's not new.

Last edited:
They are all Prince/ss of Cambridge. Titled royals don’t use a surname except for legal purposes.

Is Prince Louis Prince Louis Windsor or is he Prince Louis Mountbatten-Windsor?

Louis doesn't have a surname. He is just HRH Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge.

If he ever needed to use a surname for legal purposes, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.

Where to start ....

"Pedantic" does NOT mean old fashioned or stuffy. It means schoolmasterly, and by extension nitpicking. Being pedantic over the pronunciation of Louis is not being critical of the name in itself, merely of the way the name is said.

For the record, since I was mentioned in the discussion, Frideswide's interpretation of what I wrote is correct. I don't think that the name Louis is old-fashioned, but rather that pronouncing it as in French would sound pedantic in an English-speaking country. Pronouncing it as "Louie" as the Brits pronounce Louis Tomlinson's name for example is OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do have have to use their surname when it comes to legal matters. So yes in that sense they are Mountbatten-Windsor.

LaRae

They do have have to use their surname when it comes to legal matters. So yes in that sense they are Mountbatten-Windsor.

LaRae

He doesn't really need it inside the UK properly. I know that Anne and, I think, Andrew used a surname in their marriage certificates, but they didn't have to. All documents of William's children (birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports, etc.) can be issued without a surname and, at school/university or in the Armed Forces, they will probably be enrolled/known simply as [xxx] Cambridge, or later Wales. William only used a surname when he had to file a lawsuit in France.

Last edited:

LaRae

George goes to school as George Cambridge, though.
So this little boy will be Louis Cambridge, at least while the Queen is alive.

After that, I guess the surname will be Wales?

He doesn't really need it inside the UK properly. I know that Anne and, I think, Andrew used a surname in their marriage certificates, but they didn't have to. All documents of William's children (birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports, etc.) can be issued without a surname and, at school/university or in the Armed Forces, they will probably be enrolled/known simply as [xxx] Cambridge, or later Wales. William only used a surname when he had to file a lawsuit in France.

No one said they had to use it. That wasn't the question. The question was do they have a surname and yes they do IF THEY NEED IT.

LaRae

I think the Cambridge children will change to Wales (for school etc) once William is the PoW.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

The title of Prince of Wales is not inheritable. If and when Charles accedes to the throne, it will merge with the Crown. It may be granted to William as the monarch's eldest son, but it does not follow automatically.

But what is exactly written tp their passport ? Once I saw a pic of late Pcs Diana's passport and it was written in the cover 'HRH the Princess of wales', I don't know inside.
So their full title should appear, no?
And why Mountbatten? Does it come from the Prince of Edinburgh ? But he is Prince of Greece and UK? I know that when he married then Princess Elisabeth, he abandoned his rights to the Greek throne, but did he abandon his name also ?

If and when Louis needs a surname for legal purposes, in his marriage registry for example, he will use Mountbatten-Windsor. If and when he needs a surname for daily purposes, for example at school, he will use Cambridge.

And why Mountbatten? Does it come from the Prince of Edinburgh ? But he is Prince of Greece and UK? I know that when he married then Princess Elisabeth, he abandoned his rights to the Greek throne, but did he abandon his name also ?

Philip was naturalized in the name of Mountbatten, the family name of his mother. When he was a Prince of Greece he had no legal surname, but used "of Greece" as a surname for daily purposes.

But what is exactly written tp their passport ? Once I saw a pic of late Pcs Diana's passport and it was written in the cover 'HRH the Princess of wales', I don't know inside.
HE was was required to forfeit both his name and his title. He took his uncle's name, Mountbatten and became plain Mr Philip Mountbatten.

Thank you for the Letters Patent.
I know it should be clear but I am needing to understand a little better.

1/ Does that mean that descendants of the Queen who do have HRH and Prince/Princess do not use Mountbatten-Windsor because there is no need for a surname? or does it also mean that when in need of a surname Mountbatten-Windsor is used for all descendants regardless of their HRH status?

2/ Does it mean that should Charlotte marry she will need to adopt her spouse's surname? What if she wishes to keep her own name or if she marries a woman?

Thank you for the Letters Patent.
I know it should be clear but I am needing to understand a little better.

1/ Does that mean that descendants of the Queen who do have HRH and Prince/Princess do not use Mountbatten-Windsor because there is no need for a surname? or does it also mean that when in need of a surname Mountbatten-Windsor is used for all descendants regardless of their HRH status?

In practice, we have seen descendants of the Queen who are HRHs use Mountbatten-Windsor when they have been in need of a legal surname (ie when William engaged in a lawsuit in France) and their territorial designation when they need a social surname (ie George attends school as George Cambridge).

2/ Does it mean that should Charlotte marry she will need to adopt her spouse's surname? What if she wishes to keep her own name or if she marries a woman?

Assuming Charlotte married Mr. John Smith, then her titles upon marriage will he HRH Princess Charlotte, Mrs. John Smith - we see this in how Princess Alexandra, Princess Margaret, Princess Mary, Princess Anne (prior to becoming the Princess Royal) and even the Queen (prior to becoming the Queen) are/were titled.

Last edited:
“Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge is just days old, but souvenirs to commemorate his birth are already being produced, as manufacturers hope to satisfy Royal-watchers around the world.

At the Emma Bridgewater pottery in Stoke-on-Trent, Prince Louis mugs went into production just minutes after the new Royal baby's name was announced.”

Telegraph video: Prince Louis merchandise: mugs go on sale to mark Royal birth

It was decided by the Queen that all her descendants in male line would have the surname "Mountbatten-Windsor" when they were required to use a family name.

HE was was required to forfeit both his name and his title. He took his uncle's name, Mountbatten and became plain Mr Philip Mountbatten.

I never quite understood why Prince Philip had to renounce his titles. Did Prince George of Denmark renounce his title when he married the future Queen Anne ? I know Prince Albert or foreign princesses who married into the British royal family like Princess Alexandra did not use their foreign titles after they were married (and were known by their British titles and styles instead), but I don't know if they ever officially gave up their foreign titles also.

Last edited:
I think the christening day will be announced after Harry's wedding.

I never quite understood why Prince Philip had to renounce his titles. Did Prince George of Denmark renounce his title when he married the future Queen Anne ? I know Prince Albert or foreign princesses who married into the British royal family like Princess Alexandra did not use their foreign titles after they were married (and were known by their British titles and styles instead), but I don't know if they ever officially gave up their foreign titles also.

From what I understand there was a strong sentiment against Phillip. The prevailing feeling from the PTB was that the Queen needed to marry a Englishman. The idea of her marrying a foreigner was not well liked.

LaRae

First of all Philip wanted to continue to serve in the British navy after the war and so needed to become British. There was a window of opportunity for all those who weren't British citizens, but who had fought for Britain to be given automatic citizenship -which route Philip used.

He had to give up his titles in the post-war period due to the anti-foreigners - particularly German feelings in Britain. Remember his sisters weren't even allowed to be invited to his wedding due the fact they had German husbands.

It later turned out Philip didn't need to be a naturalised British citizen but had actually been born one under the Sophie Naturalization Act (which also meant the Kaiser was a British citizen during WWI).

In 1917 - when the royal family changed the name from Saxe-Corburg-Gotha to Windsor a number of other family members changed their names so Prince Louis of Battenburg became Lord Louis Mountbatten 1st Marquis of Milford-Haven. As a result, when Philip needed to add a surname to his existing name of Philip he therefore chose the name his grandfather took in 1917 (Mountbatten was never his mother's name - she had been a Battenburg before her marriage in 1903).

When the Queen married Philip she, like every wife, took her husband's surname - Mountbatten. When she became Queen, Lord Louis made a comment that the House of Mountbatten now reigned (he was wrong - that wouldn't have happened until Charles reigned but ...) so Churchill convinced the Queen to declare the name was still Windsor (which it was and didn't need any announcement but ...). Then it turned out she was expecting Andrew and some one pointed out that if she stuck with Windsor then technically she was saying she wasn't married and so Andrew would be 'illegitimate' (this was before the days of children being able to take their mother's names unless they were born out of wedlock as women always took their husband's names on marriage). That is why she went the hyphenated route.

As for what will happen to George's name when his father moves up a rank:

First of all he will be Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge. Whether he will change from Cambridge to Cornwall at school is still some way in the future I suspect - maybe a decade or more. Then - sometime after that - and it could be hours, days, weeks, months, years or even never depending on whether Charles ever creates William as Prince of Wales - he will become Prince George of Wales.

He will have a variety of names throughout his life assuming he goes all the way:

HRH Prince George of Cambridge
HRH Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge
HRH Prince George of Wales
HRH The Duke of Cornwall etc
HRH The Prince of Wales
HM The KIng

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have formally registered the birth of Prince Louis, @KensingtonRoyal says. The Duke of Cambridge signed the birth register at Kensington Palace this morning, witnessed by a Registrar from Westminster Register Office.

Via Lizzie Robinson ITV Twitter

Document

Last edited:
I think the Cambridge children will change to Wales (for school etc) once William is the PoW.

LaRae

Yes, most likely. I don't expect them to change to 'Cornwall and Cambridge' for the 'in-between'.

I’d expect that to depend on when they become “of Wales”. If they’re older, they might continue to be “Cambridge” despite the name change - case in point, William continued to use “Wales” in SAR after his marriage.

Back
Top Bottom