"Style and Splendour: Queen Maud of Norway's Wardrobe" exhibition

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
more..........

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 295
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 300

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 465
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 467
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 471
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 452
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 653
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited by a moderator:
Article about the exhibit from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1403520,00.html

V&A tribute to British princess who became Norway's queen

Caroline Roux
Wednesday February 2, 2005
The Guardian

Royal families are not renowned for their sense of style, so when someone adds a bit of glamour it can create a bit of a stir. Diana, Princess of Wales did it, Zara Phillips tries to, and - in her day - Queen Maud of Norway certainly did.

To celebrate her style and taste, and mark Norway's 100 years of independence, the Victoria & Albert Museum in London last night opened its Style and Splendour exhibition.

Maud (born 1869) seems to have made it her mission to be exquisitely dressed at all times. The exhibition of 52 pieces, selected with difficulty from a total of 264 found in the lofts at Oslo's Royal Palace between 1961 and 1991, is at the museum for a year.

The collection also reflects the rapidly changing roles of women in the early 20th century. The earliest dresses from the late 1890s - overstuffed, overfrilled, over-feminine and awkward to wear - contrast sharply with the flowing, figure-conscious silk sheaths of the late 30s that suggest freedom and movement. Maud was the youngest daughter of King Edward VII and the stylish Queen Alexandra, and it seemed unlikely that the British princess would have much of a role in public life.

Her marriage to her cousin, Carl of Denmark, in 1896 at Buckingham Palace marked the beginning of what appeared to be a quiet life in Copenhagen. But Norway's dissolution of its union with Sweden in 1905 was to change Maud and Carl's lives. The Norwegians voted for a monarchy over a republic and the parliamentary assembly elected Carl as king.

While Carl was taken up with matters of state, Maud was obsessed with matters of taste. Her sole preoccupation in 1906 seems to have been what she would wear to her coronation.

The coronation robe, on show at the V&A, is masterpiece of couture and politics - a complicated collaboration between a Norwegian fashion house and a London court dressmaker.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 541
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Norwegianne, Again thanks for all the information and pictures on the exhibit. Yes, she does look so tiny in the pictures. Any information on how tall she was or (this might be stretching biographical detail!) how much she weighed? I couldn't help but notice the resemblance between her figure and her mother's -- who dressed and looked impeccable until a fairly old age.

I love both outfits Sophie opted - very flattering.

Queen Sonja of Norway at the V & A for a reception to launch the exhibition "Style and Splendour Queen Maud of Norway's Wardrobe 1896-1938" part of the celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the independence of Norway. Pictures from Getty and Corbis:

Attachments

• 52121393.jpg
    52121393.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 311
  • DWF15-1132859.jpg
    DWF15-1132859.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 52121402.jpg
    52121402.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 52121410.jpg
    52121410.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 260
I also liked the outfit. The second one she wore to the evening event she has worn a few times already so she must like it. I must admit that for the last year Sophie has really thrown her business power suits away and is going for the more femine looks.

Another photo of Sophie from Hello! (Again this photo leaves me wondering)

Attachments

• winslet-dop2a.jpg
    winslet-dop2a.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 930
im really like white coat and pants what lookslike as busniess clothes! what you think?

Sara Boyce

I think the Countess looks very elegant. Has she got the same boots on that she wore on her birthday visit?

Wow! Doesn't Mette Marit outshine both Princess Anne and The Countess of Wessex? In the pictures of the three royal ladies sitting together, you're definitely drawn to Mette Marit as she looks so glamorous compared to her royal compatriots.

I agree, MM looked great: lovely dress (lace?), pink sash, makeup and I really like her hair this way. I even liked the fur (though I would have worn fun fur).

And I think she was dressed appropriately for the event compared to either Sophie (too casual) or Ann (outdated and frumpy): elegant cocktail attire.

I don't like the white pantsuit at all, esp for an elegant evening event. I think the white pantsuit was too casual for the event, and way too big - it swamped her. It looked like it was the wrong size.

Ann's dress was outdated and frumpy, which is even worse.

I thought Mette Marit looked great: elegant dress (lace with a pink satin sash), nice shoes, with lovely hair, makeup and jewelry.

Alexandria said:
Wondering about what?

MAybe she thinks she looks pregnant. She kind of does, but to me it is the suit.

ap3 said:
I don't like the white pantsuit at all, esp for an elegant evening event. I think the white pantsuit was too casual for the event, and way too big - it swamped her. It looked like it was the wrong size.

Ann's dress was outdated and frumpy, which is even worse.

I thought Mette Marit looked great: elegant dress (lace with a pink satin sash), nice shoes, with lovely hair, makeup and jewelry.

I agree completely! I thought Mette Marit looked stunning whilst Anne looked ridiculous in comparison and the Countess looked somewhat out of her league in the style stakes

How about Mette-Marit in the pink dress, also from the Maud exebition. I think it's in the weekend issue of Se & Hør. Anyone have pics?
Love, Lone

carlota said:
she actually left before the dinner they were planned to have because she wasn't feeling well.
maybe she is pregnant?
I am not someone to jump to conclusions too easily but that's what I thought too.

I thought that after seeing the photographs taken in London - her and Haakon looked close, and the style of the sash on the black dress may have been to cover a swolen tummy?

servingsophie said:
Wow! Doesn't Mette Marit outshine both Princess Anne and The Countess of Wessex? In the pictures of the three royal ladies sitting together, you're definitely drawn to Mette Marit as she looks so glamorous compared to her royal compatriots.

But none of the women looked a glamourous as Queen Sonja:p I think it was she who "outshined" all the other ladies. But alas, she is Queen;) :)

I don't know, I suppose it comes down to taste. I liked it - my sister thinks it was several sizes too small.
And yes, that was what I was thinking - but as they say "watched kettles never boil" - so that will be the end of that.

Here are some photos that appeared at Royal Insight. They are also of the V&A Exhibition

Edward is in the USA. Is anyone going to go see him?

Attachments

• Insight_feb05_gallery_maud1_large.jpg
    Insight_feb05_gallery_maud1_large.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 378
  • Insight_feb05_gallery_maud2_large.jpg
    Insight_feb05_gallery_maud2_large.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 446
norwegianne said:
Maud had an incredibly tiny figure.

I read somewhere that her wedding gown which is preserved in a Norwegian Museum, has a waist of 46 cm (18 inches)!!!!

That is incredibly tiny!!

Queen Maud's Dresses

The dress in the center is the one Maud wore for the pic taken in 1909. The dress was made by Lafferrière, who appears to have made some wonderful examples of formal dresses for Maud at this time; composed of ice green silk satin, it is embroidered in green and silver. The dress is 'shaped like a pinafore over a blouse of metal lace, and the right front drapes asymetrically over the left'. Although it appears to be quite simple in cut, upon close inspection it is very cleverly constructed to apear as though the fabric is simply wrapped around the body; many small tucks and discreet pleats enable this elegant effect to be created. (From the book "Style and Splendour: The wardrobe of Queen Maud of Norway")

Attachments

• Maud9.jpg
    Maud9.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 667
  • Maud6.jpg
    Maud6.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 721
The dress worn at the coronation of her nephew, George VI in 1937. It is made from gold lamé that has a very pale pink tinge to it. The pink element is continued with the elbow length sleeves of pink chiffon, which are only just visible in the photo and which are embroidered with gold beads and edged with gold fringing. The skirt of the gown is bias-cut; this starts from a point at the front of the bodice and ends in a long train at the back. (From the book "Style and Splendour: The wardrobe of Queen Maud of Norway)

Attachments

• Maud8.jpg
    Maud8.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 845
  • post-30-1076357952.jpg
    post-30-1076357952.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 521
The costume worn by Maud for the Devonshire House Ball held in 1897 to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Princess Alexandra had attired herself as Marguerite de Valois, the wife of Henri IV and Maud and the other women of their party were attired as ladies of the court of Marguerite. The gown was made by Morin-Blossier and is composed of pink silk satin duchesse, appliquéd with a silk organza with a silver thread lattice pattern. It is also trimmed with silver sequins, silver and glass beads and diamanté on the gown, the lace collar and cuffs.

Attachments

• Maud16.jpg
    Maud16.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 469
  • Maudweb.jpg
    Maudweb.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 483
The Coronation gown worn by Maud in 1906. This gown is fashioned from gold lamé, has scalloped lace sleeves and is cut "en princesse"; it has a very decorative pattern of flowers and ribbon bows which are embroidered in gilt metal thread, gold sequins, artificial pearls and diamanté. The dress itself is very sculptural, as the fabric is backed onto thicker material and lined; the hem is quilted and rolled to ensure that the dress and train stay flat when they hit the floor.

Attachments

• Kroning.gif
    Kroning.gif
    180.7 KB · Views: 484
  • Maud3.jpg
    Maud3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
This dress is by Lafferrière and is dated 1902. This dress has a silk foundation with an overdress of machine made lace. The gown is cut "en princesse" (although the intrivcate beaded embroidery creates a point at the waist that draws the eye in and creates a waist effect) and has a generous train that indicates the very formal nature of the occasion for which the gown was required. The lace is embroidered with gilt metal thread and the floral motifs of the lace are decorated with diamanté and silver sequins; the overall effect shimmers and glitters in the most magical way.

Attachments

• Maud7.jpg
    Maud7.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,268
  • nor%20queen.jpg
    nor%20queen.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,302
  • nor%20r8.jpg
    nor%20r8.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,344
All pictures are from Majesty magazine.

1. A selection of shoes, hats, golves and handbags from the period 1920-38.
2. Day dress.
3. Day dress.
4. dressing gown, c. 1920; slippers 1896-1909 and powder puff. Maud usually ate breakfast in a dressing gown such as this.
5. Detail from Princess Maud's going away dress which came with a cape.
6. Jacket 1920-25.
7. Queen Maud wore this ensemble of a floor-length, long-sleeved dress in pink silk lace, and a pink satin jacket with a pink fur collar, to George V's Silver Jubilee Thanksgiving Service in St Paul's Cathedral on May 6, 1935.
8. Details of an evening cape made of cerise pink silk overlaid with black tulle embroidered with black beads and sequins, 1920.

Attachments

• Maud 001.jpg
    Maud 001.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Maud 002.jpg
    Maud 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 414
  • Maud 003.jpg
    Maud 003.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Maud 004.jpg
    Maud 004.jpg