State Visit from Slovakia to Spain: October 22-24, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing a lots of photos of princess Letizia, I must say that she looked absolutely great. Her hairdo was very beautiful and the jewellery very precious. About her dress, I liked the combination of this top and skirt.

i liked the skirt (the fabric at least)... it's quite different to what she normally wears, but just as it happened with another of these "large" ballon-type skirts (a red one and a green one), she seems to dilute in them. way too big for such a small body. it would have looked a lot better if it were more fitting.
i liked the hairdo and tiara though and she seems to glow in red. the top is okay, but it didn't wow me either, since we saw it a few times already.

I liked Letizia'a outfit for the gala dinner. i'm not seeing what others are seeing I guess. As for the elbow on the table, everyone has slip-ups and without knowing how long she actually had her elbow on the table I will reserve judgement.

That's what I saw, the same top in 3 occasions. Maybe the light made it look a little different, but it was the same top IMO. Spain doesn't have a royal finance sytem as other countries, which heavily favors the crown princely couple. It's really up to the King to distribute the money. We have no idea how much money Letizia gets for her clothes. I never understand why she didn't ask Caprile to make her a few more gowns and cocktail dresses (I love the cocktail dress she wore at the wedding of Beltran and Laura). Perhaps she couldn't afford Caprile's clothes most of the time, had to wear Varela's cheap clothes.

I am with you, same top on three gala occasions (peruvian, latvian, slovakian president). On some pics it looks and is worn slightly differently but I still believe it's the same and given Letizia can't even afford her own hairdresser it would be odd if she spent her money on three red lookalike gala tops.

I know Varela is quite affordable for everybody but what about Caprile? Is he within the top range? Even if he is, there is no excuse as Queen and Infantas run around in Valentino and Chanel ... why is the CP second class then :glare:

I think Letizia's dress is very ugly, but I love her hair , makeup and jewels at this event.

Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures. Everyone looked lovely. I loved letizia's dress, it was different, but nice. The top is especially lovely. I loved her hair and jewels. Just beautiful

What are some of you talking about? I have never heard so much rubbish about the funds of the Spanish RF before. Poor Letizia, the second class citizen of the Spanish RF. Yeah, right!

The correlation that many are making is that ugly means cheap. That is just silly. I have seen many high dollar designer gowns before and not liked them at all. But I never made the correlation that the gown must be cheap and the wearer must not have had the funds to put herself together fully. Please! Letizia has paraded around in plenty of new clothes since the birth of Sophia. Gee, the way some are talking I'm thinking I need to figure out where I can go donate to this very poor ROYAL family.

Now I'm not crazy about this particular color on her or the cut of the dress, but it did look better in the green color.
And maybe it has nothing to do with money, or affording designer clothes. Maybe is has something to do with Letiza herself feeling comfortable and pretty in particular style. So she repeated it a few times in different colors and prints/material. Maybe since she is so petite and slim, she has a hard time finding formal dresses that she is comfortable in, or feels pretty in?
maybe its just her habit. We have seen many of her daytime suits repeated many times in the same style, but different colors and/or material.
Nothing wrong with that in my book. I say if it works, continue on.

without knowing how long she actually had her elbow on the table I will reserve judgement.

Bad manners are bad manners, no matters for how long.
In my opinion, as Letizia is going to be the Queen of Spain one day, she should always be perfect. Have you ever seen Queen Sofia or Queen Elisabeth like that?

Last edited:
I know Varela is quite affordable for everybody but what about Caprile? Is he within the top range? Even if he is, there is no excuse as Queen and Infantas run around in Valentino and Chanel ... why is the CP second class then :glare:

Caprile had said in an interview that his gown was around 5,000-6,000 Euros, slightly lower than Armani's. I think Sofia has a bigger budget since she is the Queen. Elena ? I guess her husband probably paid a good portion of her Italian/French designers' clothes.

The correlation that many are making is that ugly means cheap. That is just silly. I have seen many high dollar designer gowns before and not liked them at all.

This is very true. There are ugly dresses that cost a fortune and there are those that don't.

Letizia has paraded around in plenty of new clothes since the birth of Sophia. Gee, the way some are talking I'm thinking I need to figure out where I can go donate to this very poor ROYAL family.
In Letizia's case, something went wrong after she got the stick for her Armani suit. The circumstances were totally ridiculous but it obviously scared her off as she has rarely worn top class designers since. Instead she went for Varela whose clothes are within an affordable range for everybody but the point is that it shows as his designs are often ill fitting, uninspired etc. In my opinion it's very difficult to find "cheap" (low price) clothes that live up to the expectations people have on royals how to dress - well fitted & good quality plus elegant and suitable for high profile occasions.

Most (new) clothes that Letizia has shown since Sofia's birth did not live up to this expectation, at least for me. She has recycled some of her high quality dresses and costumes but all the new stuff is very ordinary - too ordinary for a CP -, eg that blue dress on the National Day. It looks like Zara etc - fine but is this enough for a CP on a National Day, especially with Queen Sofia and the Infantas clearly dressing with classical elegance?

Dressing designer or upper price range certainly helps to be dressed suitably as a royal. I mean, look at the Infantas (especially Elena) or Queen Sofia. Can you imagine them in those ill fitting Varela jackets or his other cheap fabricated stuff? There might be occasions when they wear ugly clothes but it rarely looks "cheap" - meaning low quality, ill fitting etc. And this is what I don't get - this family is far from being poor and seems to allow proper clothing budgets for Queen Sofia, Cristina and especially Elena - why is Letizia the one who looks most of the time as if she goes shopping at the rummage table on Varela's summer or winter sale?

I agree it's a beautiful shot of her. Nice make up and expressive eyes. Unfortunately she wasn't careful or attentive enough and this shot is now the one that goes around in the media world - it is damaging and I can already imagine tons of stories in the magazines that are based on a "caption this". This is like a penalty for the yellow press and they will not hesitate to score the goal.
Damaging sounds like a major exaggeration to me. The only people who would describe it as such are certain people on MB's!

Damaging sounds like a major exaggeration to me. The only people who would describe it as such are certain people on MB's!

Is it possible that I simply gave my opinion :rolleyes: no idea why people are always suspected to belong to "certain people on MB's" in case others don't share their view.

IMHO Letizia looks like she is not happy! I also think that the bottom of the dress looks to big for her frame. Maybe she looks tired all the time because she is not happy with the RF.

Is it possible that I simply gave my opinion :rolleyes: no idea why people are always suspected to belong to "certain people on MB's" in case others don't share their view.
You've interpreted a negative perspective to my comment that I wasn't even alluding to.

I was speaking of the fact that in the grand scheme of things the only people who will care about the alleged "negative" impact of this photo, will be people who follow royalty on MB's. Even then it will only be a sub-group because it will be people interested in the SRF and therefore a certain group of people.

You've interpreted a negative perspective to my comment that I wasn't even alluding to.

I was speaking of the fact that in the grand scheme of things the only people who will care about the alleged "negative" impact of this photo, will be people who follow royalty on MB's. Even then it will only be a sub-group because it will be people interested in the SRF and therefore a certain group of people.

Got your point now :flowers:
Don't agree though. For example, I bet that from the 20 or even more weekly german royalty tabloid magazines (can't speak for other countries) more than 90% will print this specific picture and use it for whatever silly story on Letizia, that she's unhappy etc and it will add up to the image the wider public (who doesn't care for facts) already has. This is what I meant with damaging - at least it's unfortunate or deplorable and it should not have been published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom