State Visit from Italy to Norway, 11-12 May, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingen

Serene Highness
City
Kristianstad
Country
Sweden
The President of Italy, Sergio Mattarella, and his daughter Laura Matarella will pay a State Visit to Norway on invitation by TT.MM. The King and Queen.

The First day will include an Official welcome at the Palace Square, laying of a wreath at Akershus, a Government luncheon, a visit to the National Museum, and a cruise on the Oslo fjord with the focus on green City development. The first day is concluded with a State Banquet at the Royal Palace.

The second day will take place in Trondheim, with Crown Prince Haakon as host. The day will include a University visit, talks on Energy development, a luncheon and finally a cobcert in the Nidaros Cathedral.

Press release, in Norwegian:
https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=218428&sek=112472

As King Harald is still recovering from his latest infection, the Palace announced today that Crown Prince Haakon will represent the King during the state visit.

Meanwhile the President of Italy, Sergio Mattarella, and his daughter Laura Matarella already arrived in Oslo today, May 10, and met a representation of the Italian community in Norway:

How lovely to see all these royal families doing state visits! Sad that the King will have to miss it given his health issues. But, his heir is fully capable of taking over.

Will Queen Sonja participate anyway?

:previous:

I think she will. Nothing has been said about her in today's press release, see here, so I don't see any reason why she should cancel her attendance.

:previous:

I think she will. Nothing has been said about her in today's press release, see here, so I don't see any reason why she should cancel her attendance.

It seems in many ways comparable to that New Year's Gala that Frederik had to preside over when his mother was unable to (to Henrik's chagrin). As the spouse of the monarch she can still fulfill a supporting role but it is the heir who steps in for the monarch as host.

Here is the program for the visit.

11.05.2023 Welcoming ceremony
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince Regent and Her Majesty The Queen welcome the President of the Italian Republic, His Excellency Mr Sergio Mattarella, and his daughter Laura Mattarella in the Palace Square. Her Highness The Crown Princess will also be in attendance (11.00).

11.05.2023 Wreath laying ceremony
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince Regent and Her Majesty The Queen accompany His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella to Akershus Fortress where The President will lay a wreath at the national monument. Ms Laura Mattarella will also be in attendance (12:30).

11.05.2023 MUNCH
Her Majesty The Queen and Ms Laura Mattarella visit MUNCH (12:45).

11.05.2023 The National Museum
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince Regent, Her Majesty The Queen, His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella visit the National Museum in Oslo (16:20).

11.05.2023 Ferry ride on the Oslo fjord
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince Regent, His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella receive an orientation on green urban development and Fjordbyen (Fjord City) on board an electric ferry (16:55).

11.05.2023 Gala dinner
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince Regent and Her Majesty The Queen host a gala dinner in honour of His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella at the Royal Palace. Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess and Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be in attendance (20:00).

12.05.2023 NTNU
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince Regent and Crown Princess accompany His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella on a visit to the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, the Energy Lab and a seminar on “Greening the future” (12.00).

12.05.2023 Official luncheon
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince Regent and Crown Princess attend the Mayor’s luncheon in honour of His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella (Erkebispegården, Trondheim, 14:00).

12.05.2023 Nidaros Cathedral
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince Regent and Crown Princess accompany His Excellency President Sergio Mattarella and Ms Laura Mattarella to Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim and a choir and organ concert (17:00).

Ms Mattarella always looks impeccable in state visit. And a brimmed hat from Mette-Marit! What a surprise.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit with a large hat. A surprise to me. Maybe she has got rid of her fear of big headpieces ( looking at you, Maud diamond tiara:ROFLMAO:)

Sonja with the Diamond Tiara, Mette-Marit in Amethyst Parure and Astrid with her Gold Bandeau

Astrid needs lots of support while walking but she is still there and supporting her brother the king (whom himself couldn't attend).

Not impressed by MM’s commitment outfit-wise sometimes. This time is one of them. She rarely has the regal aura we see in other queens. But I appreciated she went for the amethysts.

Always nice to see royal ladies going for big jewels when it comes to Italian State Visits.

Lovely to see how they care for the 91 year old Princess Astrid so she can still attend :) She loves these events and doesn’t only do it for duty. She really wants to take part for as long as she can :)

Reminds me of the coronation picture we saw at Buckingham Palace recently with Edward and Sophie supporting Princess Alexandra :)

Not impressed by MM’s commitment outfit-wise sometimes. This time is one of them. She rarely has the regal aura we see in other queens. But I appreciated she went for the amethysts.

Always nice to see royal ladies going for big jewels when it comes to Italian State Visits.

Of course, with Germany and France, Italy is a republic hors catégorie because of its size, importance and (like the two other examples) with a long royal history.

Also the President of Portugal seem to attract the same gravitas while, in comparison, it is a "smaller" country. But the centuries of history and the great Portuguese world legacy still makes Portugal getting a major treatment, I guess.

Everything and everyone looks lovely but I hope the King is on the mend. He's missed.

Day 2 Trondheim today:

President Sergio Mattarella and his daughter Laura Matarella arrived by plane and were received by Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit who had arrived earlier.

** quirinale.it gallery 1 ** quirinale.it gallery 2 **

The state visit ended with a concert in Trondheim:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom