Sarah's Interviews and Television Appearances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, as well as being Duke of York is also the Earl of Inverness and Baron Killyleagh. I suppose if his second wife wanted to avoid being Duchess of York, she could elect to be (say) The Countesss of Inverness, rather in the same way that Camilla chose to be called The Duchess of Cornwall to avoid [admitedly for different reasons] association with Diana, Princess of Wales.

This is only pure speculation on my part; at the end of the day who knows how things will turn out: Sarah might find love with an incredibly wealthy european aristocrat, marry him and take his style and title, which might even 'free up' [I use the term in the entirely non-technical sense] the associations with the 'Duchess of York' Style.

If he had been a generation or so younger, the wealthy Prince Alfonso of Hohenlohe-Langenburg would have done a treat for Sarah! An astute businessman, he was the founder of the jet-set Marbella Club, a favourite haunt of the rich and famous from the world of motorsport and indeed from the world of polo!! He was divorced from his first wife, who then............oh dear, this will not do, his wife claimed that the $1m settlement she received was not enough.......in other words, here we go again! Forgive me, I am just being a bit naughty and having a bit of fun.....

Alex

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me. Being an American royal titles is not something we have to deal with and I can truly say I don't know much about. All americans know all living former US Presidents are still referred to as Presidents oh wait though all dead Presidents are still referred to as President opps sorry I left that off. You sometimes hear them called former President or for example the 41st President. I was just wondering if by virture of marrying Andrew if his new wife has has no choice but to take the female version of his title he is pretty much known as HRH Price Andrew Duke of York. I knew he had a couple of other titles but don't think I have seen him called by the other titles. Oh by the way I didn't think you were being naughty there is nothing wrong with having a little fun.

Last edited:
Of course, everything I am saying is speculation, but since we have 'The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall', I can see no difficulty in principle with 'The Duke of York [we don't say Prince Andrew The Duke of York by the way] and (say) The Countess of Inverness.

As for American titles: I have come across American 'Honorables', which somewhat threw me! And although they are not of course American Titles, I have come across numerous American Ladies in New York all bearing titles of their foreign husbands - far more almost than in London!

Alex

Of course, everything I am saying is speculation, but since we have 'The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall', I can see no difficulty in principle with 'The Duke of York [we don't say Prince Andrew The Duke of York by the way] and (say) The Countess of Inverness.

As for American titles: I have come across American 'Honorables', which somewhat threw me! And although they are not of course American Titles, I have come across numerous American Ladies in New York all bearing titles of their foreign husbands - far more almost than in London!

Alex

I have heard that term American Honorables before so I get a few points on that one. I am ready for the bonus round.....LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, I'm going to be even naughtier than you. If I married Andrew, I would want to be known as THE Duchess of York!:p Now I'll let everyone back to the topic.

If he threw her out she could always go live with Beatrice she has an apartment at St James the Queen gave her.

The Queen might have a fit by then, to have Sarah finally out of one of the family's properties and slipping into another? Though the chances of Andrew throwing her out are ridiculously miniscule. The man hasn't got it in him to cross Sarah, even if he wants her out, because that brings his daughters into it. If anything, he's waiting for Charles to do the deed for him.

IF Andrew did get remarried what would Sarah call herself then? There can't be two Duchess's of York and how would they stop Sarah from using the title? It would take some woman to take him on with her around and that could be why he is still single. Beatrice and Eugenie need to think ahead as well there boyfriends will soon get sick of mum sponging of them! I thought she had a house and was waiting for it to be decorated at least that was the excuse! The show isn't going to help her because I don't believe she really thinks she needs help. She just wants sympathy and money without doing any real hardwork. Which she has managed doing for most of her life anyway. I think she is very greedy and that was what got her in debt in the first place. Wanting to live a royal lifestyle that most of the royals don't live themselves. Maybe she bought the hat hoping to go to Zara's wedding but I don't see her being invited to anything royal again unless it is her daughters wedding and that will be interesting.

Okay I am just gonna tell the truth and will more than likely get a private message that I was too harsh.If I took him on two things he has to have 1.Kahunas & 2. a backbone which he seems have neither of the two. For the sake of argument lets just say he purchased both on Ebay and actualy used them the bottom line is this. It goes without saying Sarah would have to go. Other than one the girls weddings or when one of them go into labor or if someone passes in the family she has no need contact him and is not welcome to that would have to be made crystal clear. The girls are grown women and old enough to have kids of ther own. I agree with you that their husbands may get tired of her sponging off her daughters which can cause strife in their marriages. Whatever she is getting off this fame go round she needs to make it last and learn to live off it on her own.....Just my thoughts

Last edited:
I would agree. The argument that Andrew will not do anything because of the girls is one that might have worked 10 or so years ago but they are adults and they should not be intervening in their parents lives any more than their parents should intervene in theirs. Having read here that Beatrice's boyfriend offered to help Sarah out financially is really too much, as you say this will get old after awhile so it's time for everyone to grow up.

Having read here that Beatrice's boyfriend offered to help Sarah out financially is really too much, as you say this will get old after awhile so it's time for everyone to grow up.

I'm sorry, but the first thing I think when I read that is it has ulterior motive written all over it!!!

I'm sorry, but the first thing I think when I read that is it has ulterior motive written all over it!!!

I don't think we know in which situation the offer was made. Could have well been that Dave (who has a well paid job with Richard Branson and comes from a rich family) encountered Beatrice while she was very, very unhappy about the news of her mother's Cash for Access sting and upcoming bankruptcy, so he sponatneously offered his help to help Beatrice feel better. Like: Darling, be quiet, let's sort the whole mess out and if need be you know you can count on me, even financially. Beatrice told that Sarah but not as a real offer but just a nice gesture by Dave (something like: And even Dave wanted to help you financially but of course I said: no way!) and then Sarah blabbed about it in public because she is always do keen to tell that she is fully supported by her family in everything she does...

After 20 some years it seems like my computer and I have made good friends. It knows me and knows what I'm looking for. Looking for something else entirely, this somehow came to my attention and I thought it should be passed on. Everyone seems to be jumpin on the Sarah bandwagon these days it seems. Too bad they don't talk to each other eh?

Sarah Ferguson: 'I wish Prince Andew and I never got divorced' | Mail Online

ETA: this answers my question of the coverage of Finding Sarah in the UK press. Its the Daily Mail but....

I had to chuckle a little bit when I finished reading this article. One of the comments posted pretty much said that Andrew looks better thinner. If he lost a weight he would have women running after him. Personally I never thought he had any trouble getting women.

Kahunas?

On a serious note, I think that Sarah is emotionally fragile, and has been for a long time.
We have two people somewhat like her in our extended family, and we tend to forgive and excuse their behaviour, even if it is outrageous or hurtful, because we have said and done everything we can think of. So we continue to enable them because we have found we are unable to do otherwise.
We wish they were different, we wish we could do something constructive to help them, but they aren't, and we can't. So we just protect them and love them as best we can. Some cases are just hopeless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, maybe I'm just slow but what kind of ulterior would this young man have? I'm sure if he wants to marry Beatrice he wouldn't have to buy his way in, if that's what you meant. :ermm:

Agreed. Perhaps the "enabling" is an attempt to prevent her from going over the edge entirely.:ermm:

I know it would be a hard choice for them to make. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't quietly putting her in a inpatient treatment center be a better option for her rather than enabling her as all 3 of them have. That way she can work on whatever she needs to work on. Her children can still feel like they are helping her and not turning their back on their mother. Maybe these girls can have a chance at happy life themselves with always being on guard worrying about what their mother will do next. That is a huge burden to have to carry when they are at the age where their adult lives as women are just beginning. I realize that it be hard keep it quiet if she went somewhere in UK so maybe down under where her sister lives I think. I am not saying she is crazy or anything like that but it is apparent this may be a bigger job than her family can handle by themselves.

Last edited:
I know it would be a hard choice for them to make. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't quietly putting her in a inpatient treatment center be a better option for her rather than enabling her as all 3 of them have. That way she can work on whatever she needs to work on. Her children can still feel like they are helping her and not turning their back on their mother. Maybe these girls can have a chance at happy life themselves with always being on guard worrying about what their mother will do next. That is a huge burden to have to carry when they are at the age where their adult lives as women are just beginning. I realize that it be hard keep it quiet if she went somewhere in UK so maybe down under where her sister lives I think. I am not saying she is crazy or anything like that but it is apparent this may be a bigger job than her family can handle by themselves.

There have been many good suggestions made that could possibly be a beneficial solution for Sarah but we have to remember one thing and that is no one is going to be able to get Sarah to do what she doesn't want to do. I would imagine right now at this point in time as "Finding Sarah" is now being aired, that any suggestion of private help would be like offering to Sarah a hamburger after she's had filet mignon. She's had the "best" in the profession most likely in her own eyes. Perhaps it may even be to the girls' advantage to seek help for themselves on how to deal best with their mother in some of the situations that she finds herself in.

Old joke: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: Just one. But the lightbulb really has to want to change.

Same thing with Sarah. She has to want to change....and she's got it pretty easy now, so why should she want to? All she has to do is embarass herself and act helpless, and she never has to worry about shelter, food, clothing, restaurant tabs, Louis Vuitton luggage, vacations, champagne, liquore, air travel, or handbags. Still all in her hands.

Viewed another way, looking like a complete XXXX is her form of payment for all that she gets.

Of course the people that she stiffs can't pay their own bills with her good luck in scoring the niceties of life, but I frankly haven't seen her express so much as a shred of remorse or dismay about their predicament. Just about her own sad life.

There have been many good suggestions made that could possibly be a beneficial solution for Sarah but we have to remember one thing and that is no one is going to be able to get Sarah to do what she doesn't want to do. I would imagine right now at this point in time as "Finding Sarah" is now being aired, that any suggestion of private help would be like offering to Sarah a hamburger after she's had filet mignon. She's had the "best" in the profession most likely in her own eyes. Perhaps it may even be to the girls' advantage to seek help for themselves on how to deal best with their mother in some of the situations that she finds herself in.

Agreed. The best solution would be for Sarah to receive private professional help. But that's not likely. I like your suggestion of the girls receiving help in dealing with this. I would also include Andrew in that.

I know it would be a hard choice for them to make. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't quietly putting her in a inpatient treatment center be a better option for her rather than enabling her as all 3 of them have.
Thakfully, we cannot incarcerate people in psychiatric units because their personalities are different from our own. An odious little man in Germany tried that and some still suffer as a result. However, I believe you are entirely correct in your suggestion that the whole family needs to learn how to deal with the situation, how to support without enabling. The only way to bring about change in another person's behaviour is by changing our own.

Thakfully, we cannot incarcerate people in psychiatric units because their personalities are different from our own. An odious little man in Germany tried that and some still suffer as a result. However, I believe you are entirely correct in your suggestion that the whole family needs to learn how to deal with the situation, how to support without enabling. The only way to bring about change in another person's behaviour is by changing our own.

You honestly brought up Hitler? Last time I checked being gay, Jewish, Gypsy or mentally retarded, among other things, weren't personality traits.

As for Sarah, NotAPretender's got it best, why would she accept any help when she's not gonna deal with the consequences of her actions? Her life continues to be better than anything she could create herself and no one's willing to stop her so she's not going to believe there's an issue.

But by what means does it become possible for one person/body to prevent another from taking a particular course? For criminal actions there can be a prison term which is punishment but not necessarily a cure. In Sarah's case, credit could be withdrawn universally, but there will always be private lenders. Exhusband and daughters MIGHT be persuaded to cut all ties with her unless she reforms, but I think it highly unlikely. These three options ask more of others than they do of Sarah, who is saying that her life is a mess but taking NO responsibility for it being so-and to be honest, she doesn't need to. She has the world and his wife running round like headless chickens attempting a "cure" on her behalf while she does nothing except bathe in the attention. If "cure" is possible-and I have my doubts, I think we are seeing Sarah being Sarah and if the world at large doesn't like it, tough,the only person who can evince it is Sarah and she has to want it.

Finally watched the two episodes with Dr. Phil. Tried to view this with a open mind. When Dr. Phil questioned her about the cash access, it seemed to me that she really didn't think she had done anything wrong or couldn't comprehend that what she did was wrong until after the fact. She tried to avoid this fact.

Her daughters have unconditional love for her and I doubt that they would cut ties with her. Prince Andrew I don't think would have her live in the street. She's lucky in that respect.

The Sarah I saw was a wounded person emotionally. Hopefully she will overcome this as she can not go on the way she is.

I do not know the reason for sure,but I've observed Sarah is more liked and understood by Americans than by the British people

I can believe that. I doubt she'll ever get a fair press in Britain.

I do not know the reason for sure,but I've observed Sarah is more liked and understood by Americans than by the British people

If true it's because they don't know the whole story. Most of my countrymen and women know very little about the monarchy and Britain in general so anyone with a royal connection is interesting and the show is allowing her to play up the woe is me schtick with little opposition. She cries about how she was bullied by the media and avoids speaking about her own indiscretions in anything but a manner that makes her look like the victim, if at all, and voila you have sympathy.

I strongly dispute that. Perhaps the same "Americans" (does that include Canadians, Central Americans, South Americans?) who devoutly believe that an alien met with President Bill Clinton in the White House think she's something special, but not all "Americans" are quite that stupid.

She has the world and his wife running round like headless chickens attempting a "cure" on her behalf while she does nothing except bathe in the attention. If "cure" is possible-and I have my doubts, I think we are seeing Sarah being Sarah and if the world at large doesn't like it, tough,the only person who can evince it is Sarah and she has to want it.

I agree with you. Still, I watched the first episode of Finding Sarah on Oprah's website, and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I definitely see that Sarah doesn't want to change and bathes in the attention. On the other hand, I really think she is emotionally "broken." There was something hollow about the look in her eyes.

I noticed that she kept asking two questions repeatedly: "Why do I 'self-sabotage?' ", and "How do you get self-worth?" And no one seemed to be able to answer those questions (to Sarah's satisfaction). It's easy to say that Sarah needs to take responsibility for her behaviour and change, but I think the problem is: Sarah "self-sabotages" because she really doesn't have self-worth. On the program, I saw a woman who genuinely believes she is an awful, disgusting person. I think she keeps running around looking for more money and more attention because money and attention distract her from the fact that that deep down, she thinks she is worthless and doesn't really know who she is.

I think that also ties into her unwillingness to change. Basically, if you believe you fundamentally aren't a "good person", why even try to "be good"? You know you will fail anyway. So you might as well run around looking for quick fixes, shopping and superficial attention from strangers, to fill the void.

On a superficial level, I think Sarah doesn't want to change. She wants to carry on as she always has (being childish and impulsive). On a deeper level, though, I think she wants to be different - but she doesn't think she's capable of being a better person.

Last edited:
As a Canadian, I would hazard a guess that most Canadians (and Americans) don't know anything about Sarah and aren't at all interested. Her book sales will be a good indication of the interest. I have my doubts. Now if Pippa was to write a book...it would fly off the shelves!

Sarah "self-sabotages" because she really doesn't have self-worth. On the program, I saw a woman who genuinely believes she is an awful, disgusting person. I think she keeps running around looking for more money and more attention because money and attention distract her from the fact that that deep down, she thinks she is worthless and doesn't really know who she is.

I think that also ties into her unwillingness to change. Basically, if you believe you fundamentally aren't a "good person", why even try to "be good"? You know you will fail anyway.

The point is (and I wrote that before) that today psychiatry has suitable methods and medication to help people like Sarah who cannot feel love for themselves and cannot feel that they are loved by others.

If Sarah only would be able to realise that she is loved by her family, that she has sympathizers and that there are trustworthy people who would help her, then she could try to change, slowly at first but changing till she comes to a point where she says: well-done, Sarah, move-on.

I simply don't think standing on a rock in the desert crying "Why?" is going to help her when the "Why?" is not the question she should ask but: "What can I do to feel better?" and realise that shopping sprees and buying sympathy from foreigners is not the right way to achieve satisfaction at all!

She may ask "Why?" to whoever she will meet after her death if there still is the need to ask someone,

At the moment she has all she needs to pick up her life and change it. She has people who love her, a place to stay, the occasional fun outing and the chance to be helped by professionals.

But instead she threatens all that by going public with people who only see her as a dollar-bringing Royal shipwreck.

I don't want to talk about the numerous opportunities Sarah had not to be bored when she was still married to Andrew. She could have used her access to the private Royal archive to look out for a co-author and write books about former members of the BRF. She could have written children's books about life in a palace then and now. She could have gone into publishing coffee table books about things Royal. I am sure the queen would have allowed her to do things like that I don't doubt that she could have kept her part of the proceedings just like Prince Edward could have kept his from his film production (only that he didn't make any money from it). She could have even done a "prince Daniel" and attend university on a "Royal" or paid ticket to follow up on her interests in history.

Well, she didn't and I understand that looking back at all those opportunities lost she has no more self-respect and loathes herself for making so many terrible mistakes. But she could stop doing them and opt to think for maybe the first time about the consequences her doings have for other people, especially her family. And find thusly her self-respect again. But I doubt she'll be able without taking professional help first.

Not to go to far off topic but the other day I was watching an interview (Inside the Actors Studio) with Angelina Jolie and the point was brought up about her going to therapy. She says even though she didn't think it was good for her she did learn one important thing and that was that there are no simple answers. I think that is Sarah's problem. She think's there is a simple answer to everything (remember the Finding Sarah episode where she asks Suzi how do you get self-worth?) she wanted Suzi to give her a simple answer as to how to get it. It seems as though she thinks everything is black and white and it isn't.

I honestly think the family needs to set up a PRIVATE intervention including Andrew, the girls, and professionals (who are not the Dr. Phil TV personality types) and try to figure out what her problems are and why she continues to do the things that she does. She seems almost unwilling to admit that she even has a problem (which as we know is the first step to recovery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom