Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t get why she doesn’t want to promote British fashion? France doesn’t need to be promoted. It’s the #1 Fashion country in the world!

As a British royal, she should be promoting British desginers… but I imagine she prefers French...

As a British royal, she should be promoting British desginers… but I imagine she prefers French...

I get that but she is a British royal she should support British fashion like Diana did and Kate does. She can wear French here and there but she can help the British fashion industry more and help new designers too. Diana put so many names onto the map like Catherine Walker, Victor Edelsten, ect...

In the Duchess of Sussex Daytime fashion thread there is a very long list that a couple of posters put there of British and Commonwealth designers whose clothing and accessories Meghan has already worn.

I'm an admirer of Meghan and I certainly aren't, as a British and Aussie citizen, a member of a US fan club.

This current questioning of pricing of Meghan's clothing, none of which the journalists know for sure, began with the Daily Mail, a rag noted for clickbaits and for lies and exaggerations.

It is also a newspaper (so-called) which has already printed dozens of snarky criticisms of Meghan since before her engagement, so I hardly think such criticism is new to the journalists employed there!

Last edited:
one year (£119K) or two months (£155K)
I see difference

You know full well not everything she’s worn during the year was counted. They all go for high end brands at the big events. So far Meghan has only attended events that require that are more formal. That’ll change once she starts add on patronages. One would question why Kate continuously have to buy new given that she’s got a full closet of designer clothes by now.

You know full well not everything she’s worn during the year was counted. They all go for high end brands at the big events. So far Meghan has only attended events that require that are more formal. That’ll change once she starts add on patronages. One would question why Kate continuously have to buy new given that she’s got a full closet of designer clothes by now.

Just so that I better understand your train of thought, is the problem:

> that Kate spent more that she ought to last year (in which case, her supposed spend would be even lower, as per DM figures); or

>is it that the DM figures are plain wrong for both Kate and Meghan?

Last edited:
I get that but she is a British royal she should support British fashion like Diana did and Kate does. She can wear French here and there but she can help the British fashion industry more and help new designers too. Diana put so many names onto the map like Catherine Walker, Victor Edelsten, ect...

She has done so. In fact, some of the less well known UK brands have benefitted greatly from her endorsement and have said so. But it’s hardly something that’s typically done for royals at certain events right off the bat like Trooping or Ascot.

What people seemingly to forget when they talk about the Telegraph article on Her RAF 100 is that it was brought up that she has very limited options in major UK house at the moment given that all their go-to designers worked out. They even had to stretch it and brought up Roland Mouret as British. Burberry is a mess right now, and I personally am not a fan of Tisci anyways. And Stella McCartney isn’t exactly up to the par for these events either. UK simply doesn’t have that many major fashion houses in that regard. She has cleverly chosen to support a British woman, but people conveniently ignores that.

Just so that I better understand your train of thought, is the problem:

> that Kate spent more that she ought to last year (in which case, her supposed spend would be even lower, as per DM figures); or

>is it that the DM figures are plain wrong for both Kate and MEghan?

Huh? My issue with the poster’s comment was that it was completely skewed. If she wanted to make the comparison, then she ought to pick a number that is apples to apples. The number she used counted jewelry that Meghan already had prior to marriage while not including everything Kate wore during 2017.

And as a common sense point, Meghan doesn’t have anything in her royal wardrobe compared to Kate’s 7 years worth of stuff. I can understand Meghan need to build a closet, but should we see more repeats from Kate if we are going to whine about cost of clothing?

Last edited by a moderator:
What people seemingly to forget when they talk about the Telegraph article on Her RAF 100 is that it was brought up that she has very limited options in major UK house at the moment given that all their go-to designers worked out. ........

UK simply doesn’t have that many major fashion houses in that regard. She has cleverly chosen to support a British woman, but people conveniently ignores that.

I know I am repeating myself, but in one fail sweep, the entire British fashion industry is now written off for not being up to scratch for clothing that this newly minted Duchess needs for her engagements!

What engagements is she carrying out that other senior members (and more senior than her!) have not previously carried out wearing British fashion?

And as a common sense point, Meghan doesn’t have anything in her royal wardrobe compared to Kate’s 7 years worth of stuff. I can understand Meghan need to build a closet, but should we see more repeats from Kate if we are going to whine about cost of clothing?

Please refer to post 1202 above.

What I find the most frustrating about this situation is that it shows a regression. Before the wedding she wore a good mix of high street and expensive brands, British and Common wealth designers, she would wear local brands connected to the areas she visited.

Since the wedding we've mostly got mostly bespoke couture pieces that are from primarily French designers.She made sure to wear an Irish designer when she went on a regional tour to Northern Ireland but not a single piece by an Irish designer for her first official overseas tour to Ireland?

It's been really disappointing to see how much thought and consideration was put into her wardrobe before tossed aside and her fashion choice change so quickly and dramatically into a negative direction.
What saw her attend before the wedding is far less formal engagements, and we’ve only seen her in more formal engagements since then. Different events, different clothing. If we want to discuss if the designers are appropriate for the events, we can do that. However, to make generalizations that are clearly unfair isn’t going to move the conversation forward in a productive manner.

As for Irish fashion, they do different things to honor the country in different ways. I can’t remember if Camilla wore Irish fashion when in Ireland, but I honestly can’t name Irish designers off the topic of my head. She did do the Emerald Green when they landed and wore clover earrings.

What saw her attend before the wedding is far less formal engagements, and we’ve only seen her in more formal engagements since then. Different events, different clothing.

I hate to be repetitive, but are the events Meghan is attending so formal that she cannot source British clothes for them, despite the Queen, Camilla, Catherine and Sophie never seeming to have problem with the very same events?

I know I am repeating myself, but in one fail sweep, the entire British fashion industry is now written off for not being up to scratch for clothing that this newly minted Duchess needs for her engagements!

What engagements is she carrying out that other senior members (and more senior than her!) have not previously carried out wearing British fashion?

It’s interesting that you purpose ignore the part where I talked about the others have already picked their favorite go-tos. The women in that family tend not to overlap in designers at the same events. Kate has her Jenny Packham and McQueen. And Sophie has had EWs. She has worn some of these brands at events where she knows there won’t be another royal ladies there possibly showing up in their favorite.

It’s interesting that you purpose ignore the part where I talked about the others have already picked their favorite go-tos.

And if she tried, I am sure so will Meghan.

It’s interesting that you purpose ignore the part where I talked about the others have already picked their favorite go-tos. The women in that family tend not to overlap in designers at the same events. Kate has her Jenny Packham and McQueen. And Sophie has had EWs.

Not true. Perhaps not at the same event, but Sophie and Kate have both, at varying times, worn McQueen, Packam, EW, Stella, ...... the list goes on. No exclusivity at play here!

Last edited:
I hate to be repetitive, but are the events Meghan is attending so formal that she cannot source British clothes for them, despite the Queen, Camilla, Catherine and Sophie never seeming to have problem with the very same events?

For goodness’ sake, you do seem to conveniently ignore the fact that the women in that family don’t seem to like overlapping in brands at the same event. And that did not start with Meghan.

Not true. Sophie and Kate have both, at varying times, worn McQueen, Packam, EW, Stella, ...... the list goes no. No exclusivity at play here!

POint to the events where they both worn same designer.

For goodness’ sake, you do seem to conveniently ignore the fact that the women in that family don’t seem to like overlapping in brands at the same event. And that did not start with Meghan.

I did not realise there were only 2 fashion labels in this country ?

I did not realise there were only 2 fashion labels in this country ?

And I’ve talked about the others. The Telegraph article you posted even talked about the same issue. And I’ve already gone over some of the possibilities in that article. I’m not seeing any possible contenders (unless we want to go back to RM, but I’ve always considered him French and Meghan worn his design the very next day) for these types of event. Stella would be a good pick for slightly less serious events.

Last edited:

Why would this be? it does not make sense....

Why would this be? it does not make sense....

I’ve not read anything officially as to why, but it’s a pattern I’ve noticed when the fashion blogs ID royal clothing at big events. I’m assuming maybe there is an unspoken rule as a courtesy not to clash brands with another royal lady at the same event?

And I’ve talked about the others. The Telegraph article you posted even talked about the same issue. And I’ve already gone over some of the possibilities in that article. I’m not seeing any possible contenders (unless we want to go back to RM, but I’ve always considered him French and Meghan worn his design the very next day).

Look at Suzannah, Temperley, Catherine Walker, Roksanda, Erdem, Mulberry, Stella. There must be many more, but I am not a fashion expert. Camilla, Catherine and Sophie for many years have worn clothes, often by different British designers, at the big royal events without "running out" of choices, or so it appeared to Joe Public.

All Meghan has to do is ask her stylist to source British brands, there will be plenty to pick from.

Last edited:
I’ve not read anything officially as to why, but it’s a pattern I’ve noticed when the fashion blogs ID royal clothing at big events. I’m assuming maybe there is an unspoken rule as a courtesy not to clash brands with another royal lady at the same event?

Frankly can't see the queen or Anne noticing... as its been reputed to have been sadi to Mrs Thatcher.. "The queen never notices what other ladies are wearing". I doubt if there is a rule of any kind.....

Look at Suzannah, Temperley, Catherine Walker, Roksanda, Erdem, Mulberry, Stella. There must be many more, but I am not a fashion expert. Camilla, Catherine and Sophie for many years have worn clothes, often by different British designers, at the big royal events without "running out" of choices, or so it appeared to Joe Public.

All Meghan has to do is ask her stylist to source British brands, there will be plenty to pick from.

She problaby thinks French is better....

I’ve not seen most of these brands worn to Trooping or Ascot. Let’s just make a deal and strike Erdem from EVERYTHING going forward. There is a brand I hope none of them ever wears again going forward. Meghan has worn Stella before and likely will again (although I’m a little peeved at the selling replicas of her second wedding dress situation). Like I said, the brands she worn so far are on par with the other ladies that are in attendance at the same event. I just wouldn’t put Suzannah, Temperley, Catherine Walker, Roksanda with McQueen or Givenchy. I’m not familiar with Mulberry clothing, I’ve always considered them to be more of an accessory brand, but I know Meghan personally has owned one of their signature bags, so perhaps we’ll see something from them in the future. Although she seems quite content with Strathberry at the moment.

Frankly can't see the queen or Anne noticing... as its been reputed to have been sadi to Mrs Thatcher.. "The queen never notices what other ladies are wearing". I doubt if there is a rule of any kind.....

As I said earlier, I don’t recall hearing anything official. But it’s something I’ve noticed. My own personal assumption is out of courtesy, but moreso to not step on any other person’s toe potentially rather than anything else.

As already pointed out, Meghan doesn't think that foreign brands are better at all, as there is a long list of British and Commonwealth designers that she has already used for less formal events that was posted in the Meghan fashion thread.

Why are they relegated to the less formal events?

I’ve not seen most of these brands worn to Trooping or Ascot. Let’s just make a deal and strike Erdem from EVERYTHING going forward. There is a brand I hope none of them ever wears again going forward. Meghan has worn Stella before and likely will again (although I’m a little peeved at the selling replicas of her second wedding dress situation). Like I said, the brands she worn so far are on par with the other ladies that are in attendance at the same event. I just wouldn’t put Suzannah, Temperley, Catherine Walker, Roksanda with McQueen or Givenchy. I’m not familiar with Mulberry clothing, I’ve always considered them to be more of an accessory brand, but I know Meghan personally has owned one of their signature bags, so perhaps we’ll see something from them in the future. Although she seems quite content with Strathberry at the moment.

I am neither in the business of dishing out fashion advice, nor do I believe many on these boards are genuinely qualified to do so. My point is a simple one. If you are a rep of the BRF, you wear British, end of. If you don't believe our fashion is good enough for you, tough. Take the good with the bad. No other lady of the BRF has appeared inappropriately dressed for the big, show piece events, and they are all dressed in British brands. Deviate from this principle, and be prepared to deal with the likes of Amanda Platell telling you off.

Why are they relegated to the less formal events?

I’ve talked about the slim picking of major brands at big events already. She has worn McQueen to an award reception for Endeavor Games before as well. But in power suit format. I think She’ll still stay away from McQueen at events like Trooping since it seems to be the brand Kate goes with whenever there is anything major these days. Which is fine as Kate’s collaboration with McQueen has been going on for years.

Last edited:
Firstly in terms of the cost of Meghans wardrobe v Kate's - the article about Kate's only mentions one or two pieces of jewellery whilst the cost of most of Meghan's seems included which is unfair. Especially including the earrings we know were a gift from the Queen.

Secondly, perception is everything. I know Meghans actually wears more British and Commonwealth designers than people think but she does seem not to use them for some of the bigger, more reported occasions. I suspect we will see a subtle shift on that now and more British and Commonwealth designers will be used.

Also, in fairness to Meghan she has had a lot of big occasions to attend since her wedding - a christening, RAF 100, trip to Ireland whereas Kate was still living on Anglesey after their wedding and did more low-key events where jeggings and a blazer were acceptable which of course works out cheaper than formal day dress and hats. That's not a criticism of Kate in anyway either, simply pointing out the two had different programmes of events that require a different type of wardrobe.

Lastly, not really sure what this has to do with royal wealth and finances - yes its a lot of money but surely more fashion related that anything else?

well journalists WILL criitcise her, lots and lots once the honeymoon is over. of course a lot of it will be unfair, but one of the things that people do get hot over is buying British.. so if she doesn't do that, she will get more and more criticism....
Uh, don't know if you noticed, but there was never actually a honeymoon period. They went for the kill as soon as this relationship came to light. :lol: And perhaps people should get a better grip on what is considered British. For example, when one buys McQueen, they aren't buying British, they are buying French.

As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worn any Italian brands. The only Italian designer she's worked once with is Dior. Far fewer than British, btw.

Last time I looked, Prada was Italian and Dior was French.

Never mind the fact that she's been supporting a British woman while never buying anything from Givenchy that others could buy and thus sell out. I've never seen Clare Waight Keller's name being so widely reported before even though she's been a well-respected designer in the industry for years. She's never had the profile some of her contemporaries have had even though she deserves it, until now. And this is a woman who was about as British as it gets. Born and raised, and educated in design in Britain.

Are you now suggesting that Givenchy is a British label?

Last time I looked, Prada was Italian and Dior was French.

Ah that one Prada suit, of course. Still working once with an Italian brand is far less than UK brands she's donned or Italian designers compared to British designers.

Uh, don't know if you noticed, but there was never actually a honeymoon period. They went for the kill as soon as this relationship came to light. :lol: And perhaps people should get a better grip on what is considered British. For example, when one buys McQueen, they aren't buying British, they are buying French.

She's had the honeymoon period. And if she was disliked by many columnists prior to her marriage, I think she will be even more disliked if she is continually seen in foreign designs and only wear Brtisih to "lesser events"......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom