Romanian Castles, Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not only will the bill pass, as it has already gone through the proper scrutiny and decision-making, ensuring support, but in a Romania that buried King Michael only days ago, one can safely assume that nobody decent would raise the prospect of evicting the Royal Family from the palaces they have usage of today, and that the law proposed will grant them continued use of for the next half century.

In the interim between formal ascent to the law and the old arrangements, I think we can safely assume that a court in mourning will not be evicted, only to be granted again usage of the same palace as soon as the law has come into effect.

That is my guess too. Just a laissez-faire, laissez-passer attitude (take it easy, all will come right) about the use of the former royal residence, and all will be solved.

That is my guess too. Just a laissez-faire, laissez-passer attitude (take it easy, all will come right) about the use of the former royal residence, and all will be solved.

It's also the decent thing to do in a democracy towards a royal court in mourning, in a country that clearly showed their affections towards the King and the Royal Family in the past few weeks. This will be solved, but it's a few days after the funeral and a few days before Christmas, there is no rush and the most important thing right now is peace and tranquility for the Royal Family after a very emotional period of time.

Peles Castle is property of the King's Family while Elisabeta Palace belongs to the State. If the Family can't afford to renew Peles Castle the property could be sold to the state.

Last edited:
Pelesh Castle needs restaurations !

Fortunately the Royal Family will be in a more organized financial situation when the law concerning the Royal House is implemented, and therefore any necessary renovations are easier to organize. It could be rented out as the setting of a few more Disney- and Netflix-films to provide for needed upgrades, I'm sure ;)

Pelesh Castle needs restaurations !

I am sure the State of Romania will be willing to contribute. And there are funds from the EU to restore important patrimonium, it can also be embedded in EU funds to improve the economic structure of the region (Prahova) or even EU education funds can be used as Peleș Castle is full of opportunities to learn or maintain old traditional skills and crafts.

I believe Peleș Castle is leased to the State and has mainly a museal function. Also the State will have pride in their national patrimonium. I am sure the former royal family and the State will find an arrangement for the future of Peleș Castle.

The former royal family managed to restore Săvârşin in sparkling state again. So apparently they are inventive and creative with finding solutions, despite their limited finances.

Săvârşin before

Săvârşin now

Last edited:
I am sure the State of Romania will be willing to contribute. And there are funds from the EU to restore important historic patrimonium, it can also be embedded in EU funds to improve the economic structure of the region (Prahova) or even EU education funds can be used as Peleș Castle is full of opportunities to learn or maintain old traditional skills and crafts.

I believe Peleș Castle is leased to the State and has mainly a museal function. Also the State will have pride in their national patrimonium. I am sure the former royal family and the State will find an arrangement for the future of Peleș Castle.

The former royal family managed to restore Săvârşin Castle in sparkling state again. So apparently they are inventive and creative with finding solutions, despite their limited finances.

Săvârşin before

Săvârşin now

The daughters of the late King will be at Savarsin in Castle for Christmas this year.
Certainly solutions can be found for Peles taking into account the interest if the state too.

Last edited:
Any owner of a monument can get subsidies, grants, tax deductions, free workforce, assistance thanks to various regional, national and European programs, foundations, trusts and funds. No matter it is the state-owned Central Station of Bucharest, that church-owned mediaeval monastery in the Carpathians or the privately-owned castle of Peles. The über-wealthy Prince of Wales uses and used all possible funds for all his projects (Dumfries, Highgrove, etc.). That is what I meant: the former royal family will not be without help for such a national patrimonium as Peles.

Last edited:
I'd imagine they'll suspend any "eviction" while the future status of the Royal House and, thus, of the palace, is under discussion in Parliament. It would seem both pointless and petty to kick the family out only to invite it back again if an extension to the lease is granted.
Bit of a non-story if you ask me....

The law has to be respected by everybody including the King's Family.

The law has to be respected by everybody including the King's Family.

When the Government has informed Princess Margareta they will not enforce the law she can stay in Elisabeta Palace.

Seeing the current reading of the Bill for a new status of the former Royal House: do you know the terms "anticipating on a future situation" and "a developing insight" ring bells?

With other words: the law says Princess Margareta has to move out. But... seeing the current legislative process in Parliament, anticipating on a future situation, the State can remain passive and leave Princess Margareta in peace.

Last edited:
You can't refuse to apply the law only because there is a bill that could be voted in the Parliament.

You can't refuse to apply the law only because there is a bill that could be voted in the Parliament.

Of course that is possible, come on Cory!

When I was the minister, I would respond: "Seeing the current legislative process under way in the House and the Senate, we will not take any action towards Elisabeta Palace until the situation has become clear".

A bill could pass or not in the Parliament but the current legislation can't be ignored. A law is acting until there us another law that says something else about the same issue. Any expert in law can confirm this.

Last edited:
Nobody expects realistically an attitutude 100% according to the Law in a country where playing with laws is a favourite game for politicians and where the political membership of one member of a family brings the protection of a certain party.

Nobody expects realistically an attitutude 100% according to the Law in a country where playing with laws is a favourite game for politicians and where the political membership of one member of a family brings the protection of a certain party.

Let me give an example from my own country: the law provides Queen Beatrix with three palaces. A, B and C.

Imagine that the law has been changed and King Willem-Alexander is provided the palaces A, B and D.

Do you really think the Dutch State will evict King Willem-Alexander out of palace C immediately, because that is the letter of the law? Of course not. Such a transfer can take a long time, for an example because palace D is under restoration and renovation.

This is called "being practical". The same in Romania. The current law says that the use of Elisabeta Palace should be ended. But there is new legislation under way. So we do nothing. That is just a sensible and practical attitude.

:flowers:

Last edited:
We can all choose to ignore logic and reason in favour of a campaign against the Royal Family, but surely it doesn’t need to be expressed in 17 consecutive posts?

Last edited:
We can all choose to ignore logic and reason in favour of a campaign against the Royal Family, but surely it doesn’t need to be expressed in 17 consecutive posts?
Well, we've all seen this before haven't we...

Not surprised by this about-face from the Romanian government.

This is why one cannot trust fully in the promises of politicians...

PM Tudose: Royal Family already has enough properties; they can set up a residence in Savarsin

Prime Minister Mihai Tudose said on Thursday that the Government will give a negative review to the legislation by Liviu Dragnea and Calin Popescu Tariceanu, which proposes that the Royal House of Romania receive several facilities and material benefits.

Tudose argued, 'As far as I know, Romania is a republic, not a monarchy. The Royal House has enough properties – Savarsin, Peles – where they can establish a residence.'

More from: PM Tudose: Royal Family already has enough properties; they can set up a residence in Savarsin - Business Review

The government decides what to do with the protocol residences and Elisabeta Palace is in such a category. The different nephews and nieces or grand-nephews and grand-nieces of late Princess Elisabeta can ask for the restitution of the palace.

From an objective point of view I have to agree with the Romanian Prime Minister. They would never give the daughter of a former President a mansion from the State. So why should they give a mansion, for 49 years even, to the daughter of a former head of state, from 70 years ago?

It is the same as giving Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of a former head of state, a mansion paid for by the taxpayers. To give a comparison: in lots of reigning monarchies sons and daughters of the actual head of state have to provide in their very own housing, like we all have to do.

Last edited:
From an objective point of view I have to agree with the Romanian Prime Minister. They would never give the daughter of a former President a mansion from the State. So why should they give a mansion, for 49 years even, to the daughter of a former head of state, from 70 years ago?

It is the same as giving Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of a former head of state, a mansion paid for by the taxpayers. To give a comparison: in lots of reiging monarchies sons and daughters of the actual head of state have to provide in their very own housing, like we all have to do.

Not all the politicians of the prime minister party agreed with him on this issue.

The President of the Chamber of Deputees (who had proposed the bill about the "Royal House) said that the problem of Elisabeta Palace is in the hands of the government:

http://m.adevarul.ro/news/politica/...isabeta-1_5a3d20e6d7af743f8d9dfe38/index.html

Last edited:

It is the same as giving Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of a former head of state, a mansion paid for by the taxpayers. To give a comparison: in lots of reiging monarchies sons and daughters of the actual head of state have to provide in their very own housing, like we all have to do.

It’s not an entirely apt comparison, as you well know, but it takes a little too much time and sidestepping this thread to once again explain the difference between monarchies and their royal houses, and republics, and their former residents, especially if said monarchy was abolished illegally, etc etc.

The important thing here is that the PM seems to only oppose the residential bit of the law, and not the crux of it, so Im sure that with some gentle navigation and backroom debate, this issue will be resolved. Whether the Royal House will operate from Elisabeta Palace or not is perhaps not the most important thing, but the important factor at this point in time, is to create unity in the family, so the government and republicans who inherently might oppose this, have nothing to point to when they’re looking for a publicly acceptable reason to thwart the process.

It’s not an entirely apt comparison, as you well know, but it takes a little too much time and sidestepping this thread to once again explain the difference between monarchies and their royal houses, and republics, and their former residents, especially if said monarchy was abolished illegally, etc etc.

The important thing here is that the PM seems to only oppose the residential bit of the law, and not the crux of it, so Im sure that with some gentle navigation and backroom debate, this issue will be resolved. Whether the Royal House will operate from Elisabeta Palace or not is perhaps not the most important thing, but the important factor at this point in time, is to create unity in the family, so the government and republicans who inherently might oppose this, have nothing to point to when they’re looking for a publicly acceptable reason to thwart the process.

You are avoiding the fish in the soup. Again from an objective view: is it normal that children of former heads of state get housing from the state, paid for by the taxpayer? And I have brought into consideration that there are monarchies in which children of the head of state simply have to provide in their own housing.

What is the convincing argument that the republic has to do this? After all former royal residences have been already returned in the ownership of the former royal family.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom