Queen Anne Marie Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what it's worth, two years ago or so, a poster at the RJWMB claimed that the tiara wasn't sold but there were some issues with succession rights. According to this poster (forgot the name) the tiara was still in the hands of one of queen Frederika's children. Now this source also said that we would see the tiara soon, which did not happen obviously. And 28 years must have given the heirs enough time to resolve the succession issues, so I wonder how credible the information was. I suppose it could also be inherited by princess Irene of Greece, who hasn't been seen with a tiara in public for decades. And remember, we never knew this recently auctioned Leuchtenberg tiara of princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy was in her/ her mothers/her uncles posession either, so surprises do still occur.
However, I believe the poster I refer to hinted vaguely that the tiara was in the posession of the queen of Spain (but it has been a few years, and again I am not sure how credible the information/poster is).

Last edited:
I could sit here all night quoting examples, one of them being the floral diamond "tri-part" tiara often worn by HM Queen Margrethe. In the book it is obvious that BSJ has no factual information on the piece; everything is researched via old photos. It is said to have belonged to a Danish-American, but nothing else in known of its origin, though BSJ adds that "perhaps one could assume that it has royal provenance" ( The jewels of the Danish royal House, NNF 2002, p. 102).
Well, if such very careful wording on the part of the author is an an example of what you described as 'an awful lot of guesswork and speculation' by Bjarne, then I'll be happy to continue to regard his book as authorative. ;)
Potential reasons for the Greek Royal family for not bringing the Queen Feredica tiara out of the vaults - and you're right, I have no proof that it's resting there - have been suggested by other posters.
According to this poster (forgot the name) the tiara was still in the hands of one of queen Frederika's children. Now this source also said that we would see the tiara soon, which did not happen obviously.
This poster was indeed Bjarne, whose book we're discussing here, and his statement that the tiara would soon be seen again was posted at one point last year - not long ago at all to dismiss the information given, I'd say.

Last edited:
Well, if such very careful wording on the part of the author is an an example of what you described as 'an awful lot of guesswork and speculation' by Bjarne, then I'll be happy to continue to regard his book as authorative.

Suit yourself! You have made up your mind about the author of a book you haven't read! When you have actually read it in its proper context I shall be willing to resume discussions concerning Bjarne Steen Jensen and his authority! ;)

Nowhere did I state that I have not read the book in question, so why would you rush to that conclusion?
I'm glad that I decided to buy it a few months ago and have read it. That's exactly the reason why I was surprised that someone would point out its alleged inaccuracies in such a rather vehement way.

Nowhere did I state that I have not read the book in question, so why would you rush to that conclusion?

Because you did not react to my question whether you were Danish or could read Danish! That's why! Or else, if the book has been translated into English, I'm not aware of it.

I shall word this carefully as you seem to carry a torch for Bjarne Steen Jensen, sensitive to even the slightest criticism of him: BSJ has a substantial knowledge on the DRF jewellery and on other royal jewellery, as I happen to know from a mail correspondence I had with him. However regarding "The jewellery of the Danish Royal House", it is only providing factual information in part, the rest is guesswork as I said, albeit qualified guesswork! I can live with it since BSJ makes no bones about it. But it is still guesswork and in my vocabulary guesswork does not make an authority! However the worst about the book is BSJs "chatty " inacurate Danish; it's below standard for a book which is supposed to be an authority on a subject and it detracts from its overall credibility. If I had the time I'd be happy to provide a list with examples of the "guesswork", but I don't and besides what's the point?

A reminder that this thread is about jewels.
The question of an author's allegedly "chatty Danish" is irrelevant to any discussion here.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Oh,so these were the plans for "the tiara",huh?Anna Maria would wear it during her return to the throne....Hmmm,everyone has the right to dream,I guess.It doesn't cost anything,after all...

Pant, slurp (excuse me but I can't help it) drool. Those parure are just staggering, lovely, magnificent. Please correct me but I thought Queen Frederika's massive and magnificent tiara had had to be sold during the dreary years of the 70s. Please correct me and show me that I am wrong. I suppose that most Greek citizens would disagree with me but Constantine II was not a monster. He just was a very yound and inexperienced man in the snake pit of Greek politics (and do not tell me they are not a snakepit to end all snakepits) and got cought up mainly in bad luck and bad timing. Plus some inept political judgement. In any case the jewels are magnificent. That diamond and ruby thing is out of this world and those emeralds. Excuse me I have got to go get some chocolate to calm down. Cheers.

Not AGAIN...! :ROFLMAO:
Dearest Thomas Parkman, please do take good care of your chocolate intake and, after you did, have mercy and catch up on the all too recent discussion here about whether or not the indeed massive and magnificent Queen Frederika tiara might have been sold. Cheers. ;)

Oh Boris, Of course I take care of my chocolate intake. It is one of the things that keeps me alive. Now nobody would want that magnificent goodie, Queen Frederika's or Queen Sophie's tiara to miraculously appear on the marvelous head of Queen Anne Marie any more than I would. Nobody would be any happier if our dear Greek friends would come to their senses (????) and restore the monarchy and forget all about this republican clap trap, However to quote a Scots proverb re this splendid and truly glorious bauble: Case NOt Proven. Cheers.

ThomasP.,the Greeks have decided a long time ago.Listen,why don't you leave your differences with Boris aside and come here and have nice discussions about AM's beautiful collection?Personally,I discovered this thread only few days ago and I have to admit I'm impressed by her good taste.Although her jewels are limited,you can find true masterpieces among them!Let's start enjoying them.

Hey iakynthi: Didn't you get that my chit-chat with gloriously witty Thomas P. was absolutely tongue-in-cheek and couldn't be more amicable? :rolleyes: No 'difference' whatsoever.
Besides, if there's one thing that dear Thomas enjoys maybe even more than his chocolate goodies, than it's jewelry goodies... always a pleasure to read his original posts. ;)
By the way: While Queen Anne Marie's treasures might surely be 'limited', I consider her ruby parure the best one around, next to the Danish. Her emeralds might even be THE best of them all - outshining even the Norwegian and Danish emerald parures.
(And yes, I'm including QE II's jewels here - among which there is not ONE complete historic parure of colored stones left.)

Boris, you are certainly correct at QEII's jewels---it is truly a shame that so many wonderful pieces passed out of the main collection. I lament the turquoises (both parues) and Queen Victoria's sapphires, not to mention the Cambridge Sapphire Parue--I must stop--I get so annoyed by all of this--
but, Queen Victoria's opal parue remains, although the opals have been replaced by those gorgeous rubies. I do wish that QEII would wear the rubies more--the Oriental Circlet, necklace, earrings--the whole shebang. And, I do love the emeralds that QM brought into the family.

But, back to Anne-Marie--she has, while it is limited in comparison to other families--some very beautiful, absolutely amazingly crafted jewels. That ruby parue is really an impressive sight to behold--I love the tiara;
Getty Images - King Consantine And Queen Anne-marie Of Greece

Getty Images - King Constantine And Queen Anne-marie Of Greece

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/5...9,1644517,1644516,1476760,1439738,52108587|60

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: This tiara is absolutely wonderful!!I love the symbolism of the small olive-looking leaves,it's so Greek!Apart from the necklace,which I consider almost ugly,everything else is as perfect as the tiara:the earrings,the brooch,the bracelet :flowers:
Boris :arrow: :blush: :D

Everything in this woman is wonderful - a face, the tiara and her white smile!!!

Dear Iakynthi,

I agree with you completely about that necklace. They need to take the thing apart and start over. The tiara is a miracle. But that necklace-the rubies are no doubt wonderful but the design of the necklace is just clunky, late 19th century ugly and completely out of character with the tiara and indeed a distraction. As for our dear Greeks having made up their minds-well they are a mercurial people, to say the least and what is written in concrete in Greece is just as well written in water. As for Boris the Splendid-it is sparring among friends who appreciate and like each other. Cheeers. Vive La Grece (sp??) Thomas Parkman

I love Queen Anne Marie's emeralds. They are my favorite emeralds, especially the tiara and the brooch with the UNBELIEVABLE drops of emeralds!!!

Queen Frederika wore this necklace with two more diamants and rubies..
I agree with Queenofthelight : everything in this woman is wonderful..

Suit yourself! You have made up your mind about the author of a book you haven't read! When you have actually read it in its proper context I shall be willing to resume discussions concerning Bjarne Steen Jensen and his authority! ;)

Perhaps we can be civil. It's only a tiara, and much of the "facts" about most tiaras come from visual evidence, unless you happen to be the royal lady herself in possession of it.

Dear Iakynthi,

I agree with you completely about that necklace. They need to take the thing apart and start over. The tiara is a miracle. But that necklace-the rubies are no doubt wonderful but the design of the necklace is just clunky, late 19th century ugly and completely out of character with the tiara and indeed a distraction. As for our dear Greeks having made up their minds-well they are a mercurial people, to say the least and what is written in concrete in Greece is just as well written in water. As for Boris the Splendid-it is sparring among friends who appreciate and like each other. Cheeers. Vive La Grece (sp??) Thomas Parkman

Taking apart the ruby necklace would be a huge mistake. Much as it may not have the same pristine look as a Harry Winston piece, it is very beautiful in a reverse-chic way that many old pieces are. What I don't quite like is that I have never really seen its motif going en suite with the tiara. The design is completely different (however the accompanying brooch does match). I think the queen might better wear the tiara with a different necklace, but by no means destroy the existing work. As for the caprices of the Greek people, I think only Greeks should speak for them lest too many generalisations be made.

I heard that Anne Marie was wearing Khedive of Egypt diamond tiara at Fred&Mary pre-wedding gala in theatre. Does anyone have photo of her at this event?

What? Another ruby necklace for Queen Anne-Marie. By all means. She is enough of an argument for the restoration of the monarchy by herself. As for making comments or generalisations about the Greeks, as a person trained as a classical historian and who if the Gods had not been so unwilling would have been earned degrees in the study of Bronze Age Greece, I can say they are among the most fascinating and written and commented about people on earth. As for being a royalist, I can assure you if I were to go to Greece I would be in a lot of good company, not a majority perhaps but a lot.

I cannot wonder just what kind of necklace would really go with that tiara? Also we must not forget the earings. Truly a difficult task to match such a masterpiece. Ideas anyone???
Cheers.

We shall never know what goes on behind closed doors in regards to decisions on their jewels. Unless they appear on someone else's head, or have been proven broken up to create other jewels...we are not privy.

I have heard the story too, that the tiara is still in their family...we shall see who the lucky Queen or Princess is to wear it...

The Greeks like the English do not wear Tiars to weddings- as can be seen from Photos, unlike the Danish custom.(a pitty)
I do hope that the Tiara is with the Greek Family and will be worn some time soon.

Do you know if the Khedive tiara was the tiara that Anne Marie used when she married with Constantine of Greece?

Do you know if the necklace that is wearing Anne-Marie in the photos belonged to Olga of Yugoslavia?

I really love the ruby tiara on Queen Ann-Maire, it looks so elegant and artistic on her. IMO the laurel leaf style tiaras look strange/awkward on most royal heads. But her hair and head shape it suits her so well.

Do you know if the Khedive tiara was the tiara that Anne Marie used when she married
Yes all the danish Princesse were it at the time of there wedding.
It is a tradition. And even though Anna Maria owns it now, I would say that it will be loaned out when the time comes .

Which tiara is Alexia M. wearing ? Did Queen Anne Marie wear this tiara ? Are they pictures from her ?

try these cutand past into google serch bar

pro.corbis.com/images/HU028570.jpg?size=67

members.fortunecity.com

Back
Top Bottom