Princess Máxima's Future Title

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is not valid because I am not a Dutch subject, but giving the consort a lesser title makes it seem as if the marriage is morganatic or something. The situation would be similar to that of Morocco...since "Queen" has been the accepted courtesy title for the wife of a king throughout the Christian world for centuries, it seems strange to change that now. Since Maxima already acquired the title of Princess through marriage, what is the harm of moving her up to queen? It doesn't have to mean she has any political powers--the courtesy title idea sounds fine.

True....it also seems like if the marriage was only to produce a heir to the throne. I hope that she will get the title of Queen. I think she would make a really good one as well.

I think Maxima should be titled Queen of the Netherlands as the spouse of the King. That being said, I understand the desire to make everything equal for both sexes. But surely Maxima deserves some sort of elevation upon Willem's ascension to the throne as well? Why not follow the somewhat unorthodox decision of Charles and Camilla and refer to her as HRH The Princess Consort, lest she be muddled in with every other Princess of the Netherlands.

It is not clear that Camilla will be HRH the Princess Consort. Nothing has been decided about it and I think it will be unlikely, especially considering that the general opinion on the Duchess of Cornwall has softened.

I would be surprised if any major political party would seriously suggest that Maxima should not become Queen. I can already see some of our newspapers screaming on the headline that politician X is robbing Maxima of her title :). The RF is a no-go area for politicians these days.

if I understood Henri right, then Maxima will be elevated to a higher title: from princess Maxima of the Netherlands to "The" princess of the Netherlands. Am I right? will there be only one "The Princess of the Netherlands" then and that is the spouse of the king? But in that case it's just a play with words: instead of "queen" "The princess" is used and both mean "spouse of the male souverain"

What annoys me is the fact that they won't grant the title of "Majesty" to the spouse of the king. Why should she only be a Royal Highness and he is "His Majesty"?

We won't know if she will become The princess of the Netherlands. For men it certainly was the case. The Prince of The Netherlands was the husband ofg the reigning Queen. For now there is no The Princess of The Netherlands, but maybe Maxima could be styled like that in the future. I don't expect that btw, HM Queen maxima of The Netherlands seems more likely.

I don't know if they will or will not style Maxima as Majesty. It seems likely that it will be HM Queen Maxima, Queens Wilhelmina-Frederica, Anna, Sophie and Emma were all majesties.

Majesty / Royal Highness

Jo of Palatine said:
if I understood Henri right, then Maxima will be elevated to a higher title: from princess Maxima of the Netherlands to "The" princess of the Netherlands. Am I right? will there be only one "The Princess of the Netherlands" then and that is the spouse of the king? But in that case it's just a play with words: instead of "queen" "The princess" is used and both mean "spouse of the male souverain"

What annoys me is the fact that they won't grant the title of "Majesty" to the spouse of the king. Why should she only be a Royal Highness and he is "His Majesty"?

If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled Queen Máxima, then her form of address will be 'Her Majesty'.

If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled The Princess of the Netherlands, then her form of address will be 'Her Royal Highness'.

That is not so strange at all but quite often done.
See HRH Prince Claus (spouse of Queen Beatrix).
See HRH Prince Bernhard (spouse of Queen Juliana).
See HRH Prince Hendrik (spouse of Queen Wilhelmina).
See HRH Prince Philip (spouse of Queen Elizabeth II).
See HRH Prince Henrik (spouse of Queen Margrethe II).
See HRHPrince Félix (spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte).
See HRH Prince Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).
Etc.

Specially those politics who doesn't like her or her father's past.

So she will be HM Queen Consort or HRH Princess of the Netherlands (if it happen).

If she become just a HRH Princess Consort she will be:
HRH Maxima Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH Princess Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH the Princess Consort, Princess of the Netherlands
or what???

But the HM Queen-Consort sounds better:cool:

Last edited:
She would be HRH The Princess of The Netherlands. But indeed HM Queen Maxima of The Netherlands is preferable.
-

It has little or nothing to do with politicians not liking Maxima's father. It is more a matter of sex equality.

Marengo said:
We won't know if she will become The princess of the Netherlands. For men it certainly was the case. The Prince of The Netherlands was the husband ofg the reigning Queen. For now there is no The Princess of The Netherlands, but maybe Maxima could be styled like that in the future. I don't expect that btw, HM Queen maxima of The Netherlands seems more likely.

I don't know if they will or will not style Maxima as Majesty. It seems likely that it will be HM Queen Maxima, Queens Wilhelmina-Frederica, Anna, Sophie and Emma were all majesties.

Old story,nothing new,she will be Queen Máxima and nothing else I'm sure.Anything else is dutch getrut.A handfull of,so-called,politicians trying to re-invent the wheel,or to profile themselves for lack of nothing else to do.There is NO serious discussion nor will be nor a need too.

If they wish for Maxima to be titled Queen OK, but make sure when Amalia becomes Queen that her husband becomes King of the Netherlands too.

lucien said:
Old story,nothing new,she will be Queen Máxima and nothing else I'm sure.Anything else is dutch getrut.A handfull of,so-called,politicians trying to re-invent the wheel,or to profile themselves for lack of nothing else to do.There is NO serious discussion nor will be nor a need too.

Agreed, especially about the 'getrut' (sort of nagging).

juliana said:
If they wish for Maxima to be titled Queen OK, but make sure when Amalia becomes Queen that her husband becomes King of the Netherlands too.

Hmz, to evade any discussion on this subject Amalia would be wise to select little Christian as hubby ;)

juliana said:
Nonsense Juliana.You miss the point that the woman follows the man in the (courtesy)titles department and NOT the other way around.

magnik said:
Specially those politics who doesn't like her or her father's past.

So she will be HM Queen Consort or HRH Princess of the Netherlands (if it happen).

If she become just a HRH Princess Consort she will be:
HRH Maxima Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH Princess Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH the Princess Consort, Princess of the Netherlands
or what???

But the HM Queen-Consort sounds better:cool:

Her father's past and private feelings of politicians are totally irrelevant as the titulature is completley based on the Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002.
The titles of the children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn are based on this Act (Article 9) .
The loss of the title 'Prince of the Netherlands' for Prince Friso is based on this Act (Article 8).
The present title of Máxima is based on this Act (Article 8c).

There has never been a 'Prins-Gemaal' (Prince-Consort) or a 'Koningin-Gemalin' (Queen-Consort) in the Netherlands. The three male spouses to Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix were 'De Prins der Nederlanden' (The Prince of the Netherlands).

According the Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002, article 6, second part, at A, the female spouse to the King will have the title 'Prinses der Nederlanden' (Princess of the Netherlands).

According the Act membership Royal House 2002, article 6, second part, at C, the female spouse to the Prince of Orange has the title 'Prinses der Nederlanden' (Princess of the Netherlands).

That is what can be objectively checked black on white. People nagging about 'break with tradition' conveniently overlook that there already IS a break with tradition as Máxima is NOT 'de Prinses van Oranje'. All her predecessors were.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled Queen Máxima, then her form of address will be 'Her Majesty'.

If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled The Princess of the Netherlands, then her form of address will be 'Her Royal Highness'.

That is not so strange at all but quite often done.
See HRH Prince Claus (spouse of Queen Beatrix).
See HRH Prince Bernhard (spouse of Queen Juliana).
See HRH Prince Hendrik (spouse of Queen Wilhelmina).
See HRH Prince Philip (spouse of Queen Elizabeth II).
See HRH Prince Henrik (spouse of Queen Margrethe II).
See HRHPrince Félix (spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte).
See HRH Prince Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).
Etc.

I think Queen Maxima

lucien said:
Nonsense Juliana.You miss the point that the woman follows the man in the (courtesy)titles department and NOT the other way around.
Shouldn't you have used this :lol: in your post? Are you actually being serious in describing my post as being "nonsense"?

QUEENECE29 said:
I think Queen Maxima

I back my statements with an Act, approved by both Chambers of the States-General and signed by Her Majesty herself on May the 30th 2002.

What is the backing for your expectation?

Article 6
The title «Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands» can, by Royal Decree, exclusively be granted to the following members of the Royal House:
a. the male spouse or the female spouse of the King; - 1 -
b. children born in a marriage of the King; - 2 -
c. the male spouse or the female spouse to the Heir Apparent; - 3 -
d. children born in a marriage to the Heir Apparent. - 4 -

-1- this situation does not exist at the moment
-2- see Prince Willem-Alexander, see Prince Friso, see Prince Constantijn
-3- see Princess Máxima
-4- see Princess Catharina-Amalia, see Princess Alexia, see Princess Ariane

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Hmz, to evade any discussion on this subject Amalia would be wise to select little Christian as hubby ;)

Grinning...If she would Alexia would be Queen in due time,both Amalia and Christian are (Heriditary-)Heirs to their Kingdoms,it's either one or the other,but she would have to give up either her position as future Queen or her love for Christian..But I don't think that will happen,plenty of choices...

Hope I live to see.
:flowers:

juliana said:
Shouldn't you have used this :lol: in your post? Are you actually being serious in describing my post as being "nonsense"?

Oh heck::ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

Henri M. said:
I back my statements with an Act, approved by both Chambers of the States-General and signed by Her Majesty herself on May the 30th 2002.

What is the backing for your expectation?

Article 6
The title «Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands» can, by Royal Decree, exclusively be granted to the following members of the Royal House:
a. the male spouse or the female spouse of the King; - 1 -
b. children born in a marriage of the King; - 2 -
c. the male spouse or the female spouse to the Heir Apparent; - 3 -
d. children born in a marriage to the Heir Apparent. - 4 -

-1- this situation does not exist at the moment
-2- see Prince Willem-Alexander, see Prince Friso, see Prince Constantijn
-3- see Princess Máxima
-4- see Princess Catharina-Amalia, see Princess Alexia, see Princess Ariane

Common sense and a very strong gut feeling,despite nice words on paper that had to be used anyway,she will be HM Queen Máxima of The Netherlands.

lucien said:
Common sense and a very strong gut feeling,despite nice words on paper that had to be used anyway,she will be HM Queen Máxima of The Netherlands.

Where were the 'common sense and very strong gut feeling' when Princess Máxima became no 'Princess of Orange' and when the children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn were devalued to Counts and Countesses?

All on base of the same Act.

Henri M. said:
Where were the 'common sense and very strong gut feeling' when Princess Máxima became no 'Princess of Orange' and when the children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn were devalued to Counts and Countesses?

I didn't have any at the time,this thread wasn't available then...:flowers:

Henri is right that the title-mess of the court at the present is unprecedented. van Vollenhoven, van Oranje-Nassau, van Oranje-Nassau van Vollenhoven, van Lippe Biesterfeld, van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, der Nederlanden... princes, counts, untitled people, HRH's, HH's, Highborns, the plain Mr/iss and not to forget a Prof. Mr. too ...sigh.

So in the present chaos perhaps they will make Maxima a Grand Duchess, or even a Czarina :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I think Maxima will be Her Royal Highness Princess Consort, but in my opinion she should have the title Queen when her husband becomes King of the Netherlands

Henri M. said:

Common sense is said to be the less common of senses ;) , as proven in the Act, IMHO.

Marengo said:
So in the present chaos perhaps they will make Maxima a Grand Duchess, or even a Czarina :ROFLMAO:
Countess, Baroness, Marchioness, Dauphine, Lady...so many possibilities:ROFLMAO:

Ah, Dauphine! Now that instantly became my favourite! So three cheers for HRH Princess Maxima, Dauphine des Pays-Bas.

Marengo said:
Ah, Dauphine! Now that instantly became my favourite! So three cheers for HRH Princess Maxima, Dauphine des Pays-Bas.

I love the word "Dauphine". We need to bring that back, starting with her. So I am on board the HRH Princess Maxima, Dauphine des Pays-Bas bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom