Prince Ludwig of Bavaria and Sophie-Alexandra Evekink; 20 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will they release pictures ?
Stefan did you attend the royal Wedding ?

/

Yes i was in Munich for the Wedding. After the Church it was nearly impossible to make good pics from the birdal Couple as the photgraphers were running before them and blocked the view in addition to the Trachten people. But at the evening in Schleißheim i could come very close.

I would like to see a photo of the Duchess of Braganza.

It will come, but as i returned home only today evening it will take a few days as firsti need to go through my pics.

Yes i was in Munich for the Wedding. After the Church it was nearly impossible to make good pics from the birdal Couple as the photgraphers were running before them and blocked the view in addition to the Trachten people. But at the evening in Schleißheim i could come very close.

It will come, but as i returned home only today evening it will take a few days as firsti need to go through my pics.

Alois and Sophie from Liechtenstein were also present at the evening's event?

Will Ludwig and Sophie inherit Franz's apartment at Schloss Nymphenburg?

I don’t think so just yet as Duke Max in Bavaria will be the next Head, then Prince Luitpold (Ludwig’s father) then Ludwig. But Franz has other properties. Also Franz doesn’t own the apartments but they have access to them

Last edited:

There is no inheritance in play here. By my understanding Schloß Nymphenburg is owned by the Wittelsbacher Ausgleichfonds and the Duke has the usufruct of it (and of other residences). A non-natural entity can not die, so there is no inheritance involved with the Schloß. (The Wittelsbacher Ausgleichfonds, established in 1923, is a Foundation financed with an contractually agreed compensation between the royal family and the State of Bavaria).

Last edited:
Yes, they did attend. There are photos of them in some of the previous links to galleries.

I've seen pictures of them at the church and during the wedding reception but I've checked all pictures by Brauer Photos (so far, that seems the only one that has pictures of the wedding ball), an Alois and Sophie are nowhere to be seen (of course, not everyone was pictured - but as Stefan who was at the schloss himself didn't see them either I doubt they stayed for the wedding ball.

One of the Arenbergs came, Princess Natasha, daughter of the Head of the Arenberg family was there.

There is no inheritance in play here. By my understanding Schloß Nymphenburg is owned by the Wittelsbacher Ausgleichfonds and the Duke has the usufruct of it (and of other residences). A non-natural entity can not die, so there is no inheritance involved with the Schloß. (The Wittelsbacher Ausgleichfonds, established in 1923, is a Foundation financed with an contractually agreed compensation between the royal family and the State of Bavaria).

No Nympenburg Castle is owned by the State of Bavaria. But the Family has a right of living there and can use it for occasion like this wedding free of rent. It is not known where exactly the Duke lives there. The ducal administration is in the wing near the Castle Church. But also the Houses in the Castle Rondell belong to the Castle Complex.

No Nympenburg Castle is owned by the State of Bavaria. But the Family has a right of living there and can use it for occasion like this wedding free of rent. It is not known where exactly the Duke lives there. The ducal administration is in the wing near the Castle Church. But also the Houses in the Castle Rondell belong to the Castle Complex.

Thanks for the info. We will see if the agreement between the State of Bavaria and the House of Wittelsbach for granting a residence at Nymphenburg will be extended to a future generation. For the castle I hope it will be because it prevents the castle to become a museum where no one actually lives.

Thanks for the info. We will see if the agreement between the State of Bavaria and the House of Wittelsbach for granting a residence at Nymphenburg will be extended to a future generation. For the castle I hope it will be because it prevents the castle to become a museum where no one actually lives.
Don't know if there is a Limit for the living right. But then i would not want to live in one of the Wings of the Castle itself as there are always thousands of Tourists. Different it is to live in one of the Houses of the Castle Rondell

Thanks for your (early) report Stefan. Do you know if Pss Beatrix, the mother of the groom, wore a tiara too? Or perhaps that part of the family just shares one tiara, which was used by the bride.

Thanks for your (early) report Stefan. Do you know if Pss Beatrix, the mother of the groom, wore a tiara too? Or perhaps that part of the family just shares one tiara, which was used by the bride.

She seems to have used another entrance as her husband Prince Luitpold arrived alone. Would have been interesting to see which tiara she got to wear, as i can't imagine that she as the mother of the groom would not wear one. It can't have been the Lovers Knot tiara as that afternoon it was on display at the Treasure of the Residence, but then i think it hasn't been worn by a Family member since the 1950's.

Last edited:
The website Adel in Nederland confirms the bride is from a family enlisted into Nederland's Patriciaat (an encyclopedia with deftige, meaning genteel, families but not belonging to Nobility).

A part of the article about the Evekinks translated:

Sophie Alexandra Evekink (32) was born in Singapore and is the daughter of Dorus Evekink, who works as a program manager and lecturer at the Maastricht School of Management. Her mother is the Canadian Veronica Taylor. The Evekink family can be found in the Blue Book of Nederland's Patriciaat. At the beginning of the 18th century, ancestor Peter Evekinck was alderman and bailiff of the city of Doetinchem. In later generations, her ancestors were merchants. Her grandfather Theodorus Evekink was an insurance broker and a reserve Army captain, while her great-grandfather Theodorus Evekink was a judge at the district court in Deventer and president of the Court-Martial in Arnhem.

Sophie Alexandra has worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the United Nations, among others. Because of her Dutch-Canadian descent and her marriage to the future Head of the House of Bavaria, a tulip, a maple leaf and a lion were embroidered on her veil. The veil was designed by a Ukrainian designer. The bride wore a family tiara with diamonds and sapphires (the colors of Bavaria), which belonged to Prince Ludwig's grandmother: Princess Irmingard von Bayern, daughter of Prince Rupprecht, the last Crown Prince of Bavaria.

Source: https://www.adelinnederland.nl/huwe...phie-alexandra-evekink-uit-het-blauwe-boekje/

Last edited:
One paper explained it was a bracelet to the guests at Nymphenburg Palace (Main seat of the Head of House Bayern, Duke Francis), so the bus drivers from the MVG (Munich traffic company) would recognize them and take them to the Palace which in a large park, still in today's city frontiers but once quite a bit to ride in a carriage. It was in the colours of the (ex-) Royal house, sky blue and white. These are still the colours of the country...

That is indeed a valid explanation. If his Kenyan friends or partners would have given him some kind of ethnic bracelets or necklaces it would not have been in the colours ob blue/white. (Being pretty sure about this because I have relations and friends in Kenya and visited there several times)

I much admire his engagements in that country.

Don't know if there is a Limit for the living right. But then i would not want to live in one of the Wings of the Castle itself as there are always thousands of Tourists. Different it is to live in one of the Houses of the Castle Rondell

According to this link, the right of usufruct of the state-owned Nymphenburg palace is held by the Wittelsbacher Ausgleichsfonds.

https://www.historisches-lexikon-bayerns.de/Lexikon/Wittelsbacher_Ausgleichsfonds

1. Ludwig and Alexandra are already civilly married since Christmas 2022.

Any source?

It's Sophie, not Alexandra ;)

They gave an interview to "Point de Vue"

Do you have the link to this interview?

I think this in the interview in question, though it appears to be paywalled for me.

https://www.pointdevue.fr/royal/cou...aviere-et-sa-fiancee-sophie-alexandra-evekink

So, the bride has already been a nominal Princess of Bavaria for several months, because under German law the marital name change (which is voluntary) occurs at the time of the legal marriage.

The website Adel in Nederland confirms the bride is from a family enlisted into Nederland's Patriciaat (an encyclopedia with deftige, meaning genteel, families but not belonging to Nobility).

A part of the article about the Evekinks translated:

Sophie Alexandra Evekink (32) was born in Singapore and is the daughter of Dorus Evekink, who works as a program manager and lecturer at the Maastricht School of Management. Her mother is the Canadian Veronica Taylor. The Evekink family can be found in the Blue Book of Nederland's Patriciaat. At the beginning of the 18th century, ancestor Peter Evekinck was alderman and bailiff of the city of Doetinchem. In later generations, her ancestors were merchants. Her grandfather Theodorus Evekink was an insurance broker and a reserve Army captain, while her great-grandfather Theodorus Evekink was a judge at the district court in Deventer and president of the Court-Martial in Arnhem.

Sophie Alexandra has worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the United Nations, among others. Because of her Dutch-Canadian descent and her marriage to the future Head of the House of Bavaria, a tulip, a maple leaf and a lion were embroidered on her veil. The veil was designed by a Ukrainian designer. The bride wore a family tiara with diamonds and sapphires (the colors of Bavaria), which belonged to Prince Ludwig's grandmother: Princess Irmingard von Bayern, daughter of Prince Rupprecht, the last Crown Prince of Bavaria.

Source: https://www.adelinnederland.nl/huwe...phie-alexandra-evekink-uit-het-blauwe-boekje/
So she’s from a Patriciate family who were merchants

Stefan, YOU MADE MY DAY!!
FANTASTIC
And you even know all the lesser known noble houses!!

Thanks Stefan,
You went to many german Royal Weddings , which one was your favorite ??

Thank you Stefan for the photos.
It was good to see the Duchess of Bragança wear that tiara again.

Princess Pricilla of Habsbourg wore the de Ligne tiara worn by Princess Yolande de ligne on her Wedding day with Archduke Carl Ludwig.

Last edited:
Those photos are wonderful, Stefan. Like most of us (I expect) I've never worn a tiara in my life, however I do like to see pictures of them, they are so pretty. Well, most of them anyway.

Seems that while the Brits are dressing down - i.e. no tiaras at the Coronation - the Europeans have no problem being seen in their tiaras. Good for them.

What's the point of having tiaras if you're not going to wear them. After all, it's just recycling what you already own; not as if people were going to buy new tiaras for the Coronation. However, we've already gone over that...

The German Royals kept theit Family tiaras , Well done.
One regret the tiareless Archiduchesses of Habsbourg.

Stefan, Thank you for the photos.
I especially like the photo of Prince Lukas of Auersperg wearing the top hat.

Thanks for sharing those gorgeous photos with us Stefan! There were a couple of tiaras that I haven't seen before, and some well-known pieces.

It's a pity, that the mother of the groom wasn't see, I wonder what tiara she might have worn. Even Princess Henriette, the groom's sister-in-law seems to have worn a diamond tiara I didn't recognize. The groom's sister Alice, now Princess of Auersperg wore another jewel I hadn't seen before, but the other sister Princess Auguste zur Lippe-Weissenfeld didn't wear a tiara.

No photos from Alois and Sophie at pre wedding gala :sad:

Back
Top Bottom