Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 3: March-September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Michael's secret for a long marriage: separate bedrooms and separate bathrooms

from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5042944.stm

Quote from article:

I have been together with my husband for 33 years. Romance can still be there if you don't see each other brushing your teeth. There's something very nasty about brushing your teeth and then all that flossing.

I wonder if she sleeps on 20 mattresses in case there's a pea on the floor.

I mean, for most people, chance'd be a fine thing. That sounds a lot like the "let them eat cake" syndrome. I suppose she does know that most houses don't exactly have half a dozen bathrooms, let alone enough bedrooms for married couples to have separate ones and also find somewhere for the kids to sleep.

ysbel said:
Princess Michael's secret for a long marriage: separate bedrooms and separate bathrooms

from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5042944.stm

Quote from article:
We can only conclude that Prince Michael MUST have witnessed her flossing rituals, hence he fled into the arms of a female commoner, an American of all things! ;)

I do admire Princess Michael for keeping a cheery demeanor, and at least staying in character!
But gosh oh gosh, she surely must be the most delusional person in the entire British royal fold! But I guess, good for her. If that's what keeps her getting out of bed in the morning, all the better.

And yes I do agree she must sleep on a pile of mattresses with a bunch of peas underneath!
In my book, PM deserves an A+ for entertainment value!

If nothing else, the lady do make me laugh! She could give Marie Antoinette a run for her crown in the "what world is she living in" title.:)

"The Royals and Their Pets" TV program was shown here again the other week. Princess Michael was quite funny when talking about herself; she has a self-deprecating sense of humour and maybe we take her spoken words more seriously than she intended when we see them written down. Similar to how some take Prince Philip's bon mots at their literal word and out of context.

I can understand the separate beds but not the separate bedrooms. She may be right about it making intimate relationships more romantic and less of an automatic habit.

I read a story once of a husband and wife who always had separate twin beds and a lot of children. When one of their friends asked how they did it, the husband said, "We play catch at night before going to sleep. I'll throw her the ball. Sometimes she throws it back and sometimes she brings it back."

I liked that story. :)

Interesting Interview....id never heard her Speak before. :)

I got a big kick out of her reply to the lady who asked if her books were available at the library.

I guess she does not think there would be anyone that could not afford a new book!!

Warren said:
maybe we take her spoken words more seriously than she intended when we see them written down. Similar to how some take Prince Philip's bon mots at their literal word and out of context.

Agreed. I'm reminded of the whole "fake sheik" episode where News of the World reported that she made "scandalous" revelations. However, I have a copy of their undercover video footage on my hard-drive and it just does not match up what their written accounts were. It's ashamed really, because she was affable and surprisingly kind - yet, unfortunately, what was written seemed to be vindictively sensationalist and wholly out of context.

Warren said:
"The Royals and Their Pets" TV program was shown here again the other week. Princess Michael was quite funny when talking about herself; she has a self-deprecating sense of humour and maybe we take her spoken words more seriously than she intended when we see them written down. Similar to how some take Prince Philip's bon mots at their literal word and out of context.

I think you might well have hit the nail on the head here re. PM.

For example, princess Diana for years was publicly self-deprecating about her own intelligence. She later said she regretted that because the result was that people took the words at face value and started believing she was an air head, which she wasn't. Same perhaps with PM.

I think being self deprecating is charming and all and reveals a modest nature which for PM is quite revealing, but all the same it can be detrimental to one's reputation.

I say a hearty AMEN to the separate bathrooms thing, if you can swing it! Hubby and I had separate bathrooms when we had our apartment and that was wonderful. Now we have a tiny, old house and no such luxury!
Didn't Winston Churchill say something about the secret to his long marriage is that he and Clemmie never had breakfast together.:D

I don't know why people get so bothered by the Princess and her wit and wisdom on her smashing one liners. I have come to realize she is the most entertaining and clever member of the house of Windsor because she speaks her mind much in the style of, yes, the Duke of Edimburgh as someone pointed out above. Not to mention she is quite a stunning and classy lady.
And has anyone noticed she has one of the best and more sincere smiles in the entire Windsor clan?

i don't know much about her but i think she's someone i could get to like. her sense of humour is wonderful.

I think, from the interview transcript I read in The Royalist site, that she is one of the most amusing and funniest persons anyone would love to hang out with. She is like a never ending collection of one liner jokes on Royalty, history and then the ideas people have about her. She is crudely funny but her jokes are to make you think on the perception people have on royalty and what is really like to be living in a trasparent glass bowl.

LONDON - JUNE 7: HRH Prince Michael of Kent and David Shepherd attend the joint 75th birthday party for The Dorchester Hotel and British wildlife artist David Shepherd on May 28 2006 in Egham, England. The event raises money for The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation and includes a champagne reception, dinner and auction.
(Photo by Ben Stansall/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 71149786.jpg
    71149786.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 71149793.jpg
    71149793.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 147
I was reading several articles published at The Unofficial British Royal Family Pages and found one from September 27, 2001 that some Royal Watchers might have missed or forgot about. It's on Princess Michael of Kent from a person that assisted a lecture titled "Royal Power: The Substance and the Show" at Fairfield University, Fairfield Connecticut USA:
HRH Princess Michael of Kent: A Modern Minor Royal

I know, some that don't see her with good eyes might be mortified by an article that presents her in a good light, but some others like me consider her quite a fascinating figure with a great sense of humor that does deserve the opportunity to be heard.

Last edited:
Interesting articles, Toledo, thanks for sharing.
A number of things mentioned in there were new to me, such as the fact that Prince Michael of Kent never knew his own father, who died in a plane crash in WW2 when PM was an infant. Eerily similar fate to the King of Sweden, by the way.

i enjoyed that article, thanks for posting the link! she seems like a "real" person and the media hates it when people that are suppose to be "haughty" or "snobs" aren't really that way at because it gives them nothing to interesting to report. maybe some day i'll get a chance to hear one of her talks.:)

You can read more extraordinary articles here, divided by writers and them by article http://www.etoile.co.uk/Rother.html

I only visited that source of news once before reading an article on Monaco, so I found the link again and kept looking and found the one on Princess Michael was worth sharing. Note aside, the articles written by the Court Jester (his pen name) are a formidable source of Royal trivia and history behind the History. The one on Queen Mary of Roumania and Klondike Joe is very human and almost sad to read.

Last edited:
Princess Michael of Kent at the Credit Suisse Royal Windsor Cup Final at the Guards Polo Club in the heart of Windsor Great Park, Surrey, UK. 25/06/06

from brunopress

Attachments

• big_guards_polo_689.jpg
    big_guards_polo_689.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 146
  • big_guards_polo_691.jpg
    big_guards_polo_691.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 116
  • big_guards_polo_702.jpg
    big_guards_polo_702.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 113
  • big_guards_polo_703.jpg
    big_guards_polo_703.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 110
  • big_guards_polo_708.jpg
    big_guards_polo_708.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 136
  • big_guards_polo_709.jpg
    big_guards_polo_709.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 121
  • big_guards_polo_710.jpg
    big_guards_polo_710.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 140
  • big_guards_polo_711.jpg
    big_guards_polo_711.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 112
  • big_guards_polo_712.jpg
    big_guards_polo_712.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 140
  • big_guards_polo_714.jpg
    big_guards_polo_714.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 117
Does anybody know why Princess Michael has been one of the few royal women to go by her correct title? I would have assumed that she would have adopted Princess Marie-Christine as her "everyday" title like most of the other princesses in Europe.

soCal girl said:
Does anybody know why Princess Michael has been one of the few royal women to go by her correct title? I would have assumed that she would have adopted Princess Marie-Christine as her "everyday" title like most of the other princesses in Europe.
Great question. It took me years to find out 'Princess Michael's first name! Seems so strange anyway, that concept of 'Princess <insert first name of hubby>'. I mean, we never knew, say, Diana by: "Princess Charles of Wales"? Seems the archaic equivalent of wearing a burka for some reason.

If Prince Harry gets married during Charles's lifetime and isn't given a dukedom or other title, his wife will be Princess Henry of Wales.

Diana wasn't called Princess Charles of Wales, because Prince Charles wasn't called Prince Charles of Wales. Before becoming the Duchess of Gloucester, the present duchess was known as Princess Richard of Gloucester.

LONDON - JUNE 28: Prince Michael of Kent attends day three of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on June 28, 2006 in London, England

from getty

Attachments

• 71317431.jpg
    71317431.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 209
For a second there I almost thought the woman behind him was trying to give him bunny ears.

Princess Michael attends KATHARINE POOLEY AND LOTUS ARTS DE VIVRE VIP PARTY

from lfi

239155997ld.jpg
239156001pi.jpg
239156010vk.jpg

42-16708446.jpg
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent at St George's Chapel Windsor Castle for Thanksgiving Service for the Queen's 80th Birthday.

42-16949968.jpg
Princess Michael of Kent at St Paul's Cathedral for a service of thanksgiving held in honour of the Queen's 80th birthday.
1clearpx.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom