Possible names for the new Lord or Lady Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's safe to say that Albert is out as a first name, now that Lord Nicholas Windsor's son is named Albert. Never say never, but I think the days of naming babies the same name is in the past. I'm holding out for a Philip or George though!

Abraham is awfully American, don't you think? Like the rest, though!

Patrick Phillip Charles Louis

or, a girl

Patricia Phillipa Charlotte Louisa

I think Phillip has a good shot if it's a boy.
I am inclined to think "Elizabeth" is getting saved, if that even makes sense for Prince William. In the event his heir is not a son, Princess Elizabeth.
I believe the Countess' mother's name was Mary, so perhaps Mary after her grandmother. Or Victoria?

Girl: Helena Mary Alexandra Christina
Boy: Andrew Edward Philip Louis

I'm guessing no Albert, since Nicholas Windsor took that for his son.

I'm guessing no Albert, since Nicholas Windsor took that for his son.

I was really leaning toward Albert, but have to agree with you now that it has been so recently taken. Although the Royal Family haven't always been reluctant to use names concurrently...such as the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of Kent both being Edward.

I'm loving Augustus atm...Little Lord Gus!!

...such as the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of Kent both being Edward.

Yes, but they are a generation apart. The D of K's daughter is the same age as Prince Edward. I don't think a name has been used in the same generation since Queen Vic's time when there were numerous Princess Victoria's!! :eek:

Why do members of the royal family have so many names? Why not just a first, middle and last name?

Why do members of the royal family have so many names? Why not just a first, middle and last name?

Probably the need to honour relatives or important people. eg

The Queen (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary) - Her Mother, Grandmother & Gt Grandmother.

The Princess Royal (Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise) - The first name was obviously a personal preference of her parents, The Queen Mother, Prince Phillips Mother, Prince Phillips Aunt - Queen Louise of Sweden.

The Princess Royal (Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise) - The first name was obviously a personal preference of her parents, The Queen Mother, Prince Phillips Mother, Prince Phillips Aunt - Queen Louise of Sweden.

In a book I read on Princess Margaret, the then Duke and Duchess of York wanted to name their second daughter Ann Margaret, but the King didn't like that choice of names for his granddaughter. She apparently went unnamed for a bit until Margaret Rose was decided upon. When Prince Phillip and Princess Elizabeth had their second child, she decided to name her Anne since her mother was unable to use the name (as a way of honoring her mother's preference) Not sure if that's true or if some biographer made it up, but, it's a nice story!

Cecily Anne Helen Victoria or Philipp Andrew Albert Christopher

Little Viscount:
For Louise they only used traditional names, already used for other princess or queens during the last few generations. So i think they will only use tradtional names again.
For a boy it could be Philipp, Andrew, George, Albert, Arthur or Edward. And maybe Christopher because of Sophie's Dad.

i think it will either be a Philipp Andrew Albert Christopher or
Andrew George Edward Christopher.

Little Lady:
names used for princesses in the last generations:
Victoria, Alice, Helena, Louise, Beatrice, Maud and Mary
names used for ancestors (grandmothers, greatgrandmothers etc.) of the baby: Elizabeth, Mary, Alice, Olga, Victoria, Cecilia, Alexandra.
names of former queens. Elizabeth I+II, Mary I + II, Anne and Victoria.

Elizabeth, Mary, Louise and Alice are used for the elder daughter. Beatrice is the cousin and Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy is also still around, so i think they will not use one of this names.
So only Victoria, Helena, Maud, Olga, Cecilia and Anne are left. Maud and Olga are maybe to oldfashioned.

I think Helena Victoria Cecilia Mary is a possible name.
Or (which i like better) Cecily Anne Helen Victoria.
Cecily is close to Cecilia (by the way Cecilia was the name of the mother of Elizabeth, the queen mother). Cecily was also the name of Cecily Neville, Duchess of York and mother of two Kings- so it's royal enough ;)

Possible names for the new Lord/Lady of Wessex

i love the victorian baby names, pretty much similar to what they picked for lady louise.

girl: Victoria Margaret Charlotte Rose
boy: Leopold William Edward Christian

I wouldn't be surprised if they named a boy Philip in honor of Prince Philip -- especially considering his advanced years. And, I think that Alice is a possibility for a girl.:angel:

I hope that the baby is a boy and he will be named Phillip

Lady Josephine
Lord Albert

Taree

I too am hoping for the name Philip if the baby is a boy, and hopefully, Mary Elizabeth if it is a daughter in honour of two much loved grandmothers.
Taree:flowers:

If it is a girl I hope maybe,they may name it Lady Victoria Mary Windsor,or Lady Elizabeth Windsor.If it is a boy I agree that Lord Philip is simply smashing.Maybe Lord Albert Windsor.

If it is a girl I hope maybe,they may name it Lady Victoria Mary Windsor,or Lady Elizabeth Windsor.If it is a boy I agree that Lord Philip is simply smashing.Maybe Lord Albert Windsor.

Even though he is not a lord, Albert windsor, the son of Lord Nicholas and his wife Paola already has that name. I think they will go with some name that hasnt been used in awhile like Phillip or george or something else.

If it's a boy, maybe they'll be really inventive and go back to the Wessex roots with Godwin or Harold. I wouldn't suprised to see a George, Arthur, Anthony, Alfred, or Richard in there somewhere, either. Leopold sounds more German than English to me, like Adolphus or Ernst.

I'd love "Godwin Philip George Alfred Windsor-Mountbatten, Lord Wessex." (As long as the kid can run fast, there's no problem at all.)

For a girl, maybe Charlotte or Alice. They could win a lot of hearts if they found room for a "Diana" in there, too.

kal

I'd be willing to bet, kalnel, that neither Diana nor Wallis will be in contention.

I like both Elizabeth and Alice, especially. I also like the suggestion of some older, Anglo Saxon names for boys.

I am not good at the guessing the name thing but here are a couple of ones I like.

Girl: Charlotte, Emily, Victoria, Georgina, Helen (I do like Elizabeth, Alice and Mary but they are already in Lady Louise's name)
Boy: Phillip, Hugh, Louis, Christopher, David, George

Last edited:
Since Lord Nicholas Windsor has a little Albert now, how about

Victoria Georgina Charlotte

Gotta believe that Victoria will figure somewhere in the name. Didn't Queen Victoria state that all of her descendants should have a Victoria or Albert in the sequences of handles?

Cheers!

On second thought, they may very well go with Philip as the name if it's a boy, particularly since it's the 60th wedding anniversary year for the queen and Prince Philip and a boy would carry his title. Albert may now be out of the running because of Lord Nicholas Windsor's son Albert Windsor. I still think George is a pretty good bet for a first name as well because of its use in both the British and the Greek royal families. George Edward Philip Christopher or Philip Edward Christopher George or some combination of those four names. I don't think Sophie would be a big fan of some of the more old-fashioned names like Arthur, Alfred or Leopold, though I could be wrong. Alfie is a big name right now in Britain.

If they aren't saving Victoria for Prince William's first daughter, that might be a nice choice for a girl. It's the only royal name they didn't use for Louise. They could surprise us with a girl's name that no one else in the family has ever used. There's precedent with Zara Phillips' name and I think they might feel they have more leeway with a girl's name, particularly since she wouldn't be inheriting Prince Philip's title. Sophie liked "Daisy" as a first name for Louise and maybe she'll get her wish with her second miracle baby. Sophie might well like a lot of the girls' names that are on the popularity charts right now in England: Amelia, Amelie, Charlotte, Chloe, Emily, Freya, Georgia, Grace, Imogen, Isabel/Isabella, Isla, Lily, Lucy, Matilda, Olivia, Phoebe, Ruby, Zoe. Georgia and Charlotte, at least, sound pretty royal and there's some precedent.

If the Queen and royal handlers have their say, it'll probably be another name with strong ties to the Battenbergs and/or the Greek family: Alice, Victoria or, going even further afield, Cecile/Cecilia/Cecilie, Irene or Marie. I don't know if they'd reuse names that are already in use for the other royals. There probably won't be another Alexandra, Helen, Marina, Margarita, Feodore/Theodora or Sophie/Sophia. Countess Julie/Julia von Hauke was sort of the "founding mother" of the Battenberg line and Julie was one of Prince Philip's mother's names. A Lady Julia or Lady Julie would be a real statement to anyone out there who looked down on the Battenbergs. Elizabeth is the obvious choice, but somehow I don't think the Queen wants a namesake granddaughter.

I really wished I liked the old anglo-saxon names but I really don't so for me I would love to see something unique. This child isn't really inline for anything so why not? I would love to see some originality in the Windsor family for once. I love Zara's name, so I would love to see something along those lines.

More predictions...

I am always eager to find out the latest royal baby names...I love the history that comes with them. In my own reading I have learned that there are some traditions - like not using names already in use by another royal - that could impact on the Wessexs' decision. Some names are supposedly "jinxed" as well (Stephen and John in particular). I don't know how modern royals will feel about that, however. So, keeping everything in mind, I have come up with some predictions of my own, though admittedly I have not put any money on them.

Top 10 Boys Names for the newest British Royal
1. Thomas
2. John
3. Edmund
4. Edgar
5. Robert
6. Albert
7. Leopold
8. Alastair
9. Geoffrey
10. Patrick

Top 10 Girls Names for the newest British Royal
1. Mary
2. Caroline
3. Eleanor
4. Augusta
5. Adelaide
6. Cecilia
7. Constance
8. Joanna
9. Georgiana
10. Marjorie

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about my predictions. They are all historic British Royal names, although some have not been used for centuries. I know Louise is a good Victorian name, and those have been quite trendy with this generation (Beatrice & Eugenie), but I think some Georgian and medieval names might start making a comeback.

Alastair Philip Alexander David-
I just think this time it will be a boy.

Once again:
Victoria,
Mathilde/Matilde,
Clara,
Charlotte,
Nicole,
Helena,
Cecily,
Catherine or Katherine or any other form of that,
Mary,
Augusta,
Felicity, Felicia,