Popularity of the Dutch Monarchy and Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sorry Duc et Pair , but what the whole Belgian Royal Family did during the Covid is not to compare with your Royals. Your Princesses stayed home.
Your Crown Princess reveived a Dotation , ours is in the Army without any privilège.

For now Amalia does not get an Apanage. It will start when when she turns 18 in December 2021.

This article compares and contrasts 2020 for the three kings: Willem-Alexander, Phillipe and Felipe who all ascended to their respective thrones within a few years of each other. It reviews their actions during the COVID 19 crisis along personal concerns that might have impacted their reigns and how each responded to it. For two of the kings, Phillipe and Felipe it involved their fathers and the latter's past controversial actions. With W-A it was the Greek holiday.

https://www.revistavanityfair.es/re...-annus-horribilis-de-maxima-y-guillermo/48232

I am sorry Duc et Pair , but what the whole Belgian Royal Family did during the Covid is not to compare with your Royals. Your Princesses stayed home.
Your Crown Princess reveived a Dotation , ours is in the Army without any privilège.

Your comparison is wrong. During the autumn break Amalia was a 16 years old girl attending secondary school. How to compare that with the older Elisabeth whom has finished secondary school and is furtherer in her stage of life?

Amalia also does not have any income, only when she is 18 years old she will receive an income, automatically by law, connected to her position. (In Belgium this dotation is not automatic, the Government and the Parliament have to decide upon this and establish it by law).

In Belgium the number 5 (Astrid) and the number 13 (Laurent) receive an annual dotation. Year in, year out. Their whole life long.

In the Netherlands the Numbers 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - etc. etc. have never received -and will never receive- any dotation at all.

Last edited:
The 18th birthday of the Princess of Orange should be something positive for the Dutch RF to work towards as is the 50th Birthday of the queen.

IMO they need to move away from the glossy magazine image they have been portraying over the past few years.

Indeed,but tell that the socalled press...And their love to pump matters oversize on their covers if they see an extra buck!! A lot of the negativity is at the account of the pulp press and people overreacting in negativity on social media,or rather asocial media,They live by the hype of the day and blame each and everyone especially those that can not publickly defend themselves.It is cowardice,it is low,and typical of insignificant little somebodies....a country full of m...well,not me and mine!

Your comparison is wrong. During the autumn break Amalia was a 16 years old girl attending secondary school. How to compare that with the older Elisabeth whom has finished secondary school and is furtherer in her stage of life?

But then Elisabethj already did some duties like accompaniing her mother or be with her fatehr when his Christmas speech was recocred. And that before turning 18. Also her younger siblings have been seen more in public the last years then the 3 dutch Princesses. Perhpas it would help if at last Amalia is seen a bit more in public.

Indeed,but tell that the socalled press...And their love to pump matters oversize on their covers if they see an extra buck!! A lot of the negativity is at the account of the pulp press and people overreacting in negativity on social media,or rather asocial media,They live by the hype of the day and blame each and everyone especially those that can not publickly defend themselves.It is cowardice,it is low,and typical of insignificant little somebodies....a country full of m...well,not me and mine!

The upheaval is mainly a media frenzy. I have had discussions with friends and family during Christmas and I sensed a moderate reaction: we are all too human, we are all have our faults, we all go out shopping on Black Friday, he has publicly said it was poor judgement. Soit.

The only public person whom still receives sharp reactions is the Minister of Justice, whom broke all COVID-19 rules on his wedding (also too human anyway) but was the one which entamed a rock-hard prosecution policy for not following distancing rules. That this Minister, as no one resposbible for this policy, remained on his post still is met with irritation.

It was largely forgotten. His Christmas Address was generally met positively (unlike his mothers Addresses which always draw negative reactions). Until NOS reviewed the Year 2020 and went voxpop with the question "Do you have less trust in the King after his Greek holiday, yes or no?" (What is "trust in the King" anyway, a completely a-political figure without any executive power?).

And now it is already out of public, people preparing for the most weird New Year's Eve ever, only on this board the downfall of the King seems imminent.

Last edited:
But then Elisabethj already did some duties like accompaniing her mother or be with her fatehr when his Christmas speech was recocred. And that before turning 18. Also her younger siblings have been seen more in public the last years then the 3 dutch Princesses. Perhpas it would help if at last Amalia is seen a bit more in public.

Different families make different choices/have different philosophies: Willem-Alexander and Máxima have been rather consistent in letting their children by children/teenagers with only very limited royal duties. I do expect that we'll see the princess of Orange more often after she turns 18; although she will still focus on her education for the foreseeable future.

If you start comparing everyone could come out on the wrong side, for example Catharina-Amalia stays in the Netherlands for her secondary education while Elisabeth went abroad... (as if the Belgian education system isn't good enough for the heir to the throne - if you want to look at it in a negative way)

The upheaval is mainly a media frenzy. I have had discussions with friends and family during Christmas and I sensed a moderate reaction: we are all too human, we are all have our faults, we all go out shopping on Black Friday, he has publicly said it was poor judgement. Soit.

The only public person whom still receives sharp reactions is the Minister of Justice, whom broke all COVID-19 rules on his wedding (also too human anyway) but was the one which entamed a rock-hard prosecution policy for not following distancing rules. That this Minister, as no one resposbible for this policy, remained on his post still is met with irritation.

It was largely forgotten. His Christmas Address was generally met positively (unlike his mothers Addresses which always draw negative reactions). Until NOS reviewed the Year 2020 and went voxpop with the question "Do you have less trust in the King after his Greek holiday, yes or no?" (What is "trust in the King" anyway, a completely a-political figure without any executive power?).

And now it is already out of public, people preparing for the most weird New Year's Eve ever, only on this board the downfall of the King seems imminent.
Exactly. The Christmas Address was received very well. So, while I think the family should take note that bad decisions such as the ones made this year can negatively impact the view of the people; some 'good publicity' could also swing things the other way. So, hopefully, they'll find a way 'up'.

Last edited:
Queen Beatrix abdicated too eary !

What makes you think that? I am pretty sure princess Beatrix would disagree with your opinion.

King Willem-Alexander has had a very successful reign until a few months ago when he messed up and apologized for that. So, should he do better in the future; for sure, is this a sign that he shouldn't be reigning; not at all.

Different families make different choices/have different philosophies: Willem-Alexander and Máxima have been rather consistent in letting their children by children/teenagers with only very limited royal duties. I do expect that we'll see the princess of Orange more often after she turns 18; although she will still focus on her education for the foreseeable future.

Maybe. But i think the one or other from the dutch people will ask why they see the royal chidlren in their neighbour country who oughly about the same age more then the royal chidren in their own country. And it that regard it helps probabvly that a big part of the Newspaper/TV-Programms from Flanders are in their own langauge and can probably also be seen in the Netherlands.

Maybe. But i think the one or other from the dutch people will ask why they see the royal chidlren in their neighbour country who oughly about the same age more then the royal chidren in their own country. And it that regard it helps probabvly that a big part of the Newspaper/TV-Programms from Flanders are in their own langauge and can probably also be seen in the Netherlands.

Actually they are not at all that invisible. Every year all three girls go out and about into the country on King's Day. This year they have had virtual meet and greets, live on TV and online, with the most populair Dutch YouTuber. We have seen them during the Abdication, the Investiture, the King's parade (Amalia was 9) around the King's 50th birthday(Amalia was 13). Since she was a baby there are photoshoots in winter and summer. There are official portraits.

She turned 17 this month and her parents' focus is entirely on her education. After her 18th we will see Amalia at Prinsjesdag (no equivalent in Belgium), in the Council of State (no such equivalent for royals in Belgium) and at the National Remembrance (no such equivalent in Belgium either as only the King attends this).

So we soon will see Amalia developing a completely own agenda. Like we saw with Willem-Alexander and Beatrix in their own young years.

Last edited:
No, not really... I think very few Dutch people know about a 'prince Emmanuel of Belgium' for example. So, it seems more of a problem in your imagination than in reality. Of course, the media would be happy if we saw them (even) more but as Duc_et_Pair pointed out, we do see them several times a year; and as the royal couple has been consistent in their approach - they've clearly set the expectation from the start, so nobody seems to expect anything different.

Honestly, I think the Dutch would feel sorry for the princesses if they had to sit through long classical concerts for example; they much rather see them enjoy a (horse) show jumping event with their grandmother if they happen to join her because they themselves are interested; or at the various sporting events that their parents have taken them to over the years enthusiastically supporting the various national teams or athletes.

I agree with you, Stefan. In my opinion, Catharina-Amalia should have done a couple of public appearances by now. I do not necessarily agree with her parents' approach.

As for the King's popularity: yes, the Greek holiday was a mistake, yes, he apologized and yes, IMO he (they) should have known better.
Sometimes I think the Van Lippe Biesterfeld genes from his grandfather Prince Bernhard (as in kind of naughty/haughty behaviour) pop up too much.

Annual poll on the popularity of the dutch king and monarchy
https://nos.nl/artikel/2378392-koni...-en-draagvlak-monarchie-staan-onder-druk.html
google translated

"Trust in King Willem-Alexander has recovered slightly since the fuss about his holiday to Greece, but is still considerably lower than in previous years. This is evident from the annual*King's Day Survey (.pdf)*that agency Ipsos carried out on behalf of the NOS. Support for the monarchy has also shrunk significantly and the appreciation for Queen Máxima has also suffered from the ill-timed trip to the holiday villa and other dissatisfaction with the royal family."

Those who thought the Greek holiday (during Covid restrictions not to go abroad on holiday) would be a storm in a teacup, have been proved wrong, it did impact the opinion of the dutch people more than you'd think..

Imo the dutch monarchy as such still has little to fear, i doubt there is a real viable alternative the dutch people as a whole would deem better.. :flowers:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2378392-koni...-en-draagvlak-monarchie-staan-onder-druk.html
google translated

"Trust in King Willem-Alexander has recovered slightly since the fuss about his holiday to Greece, but is still considerably lower than in previous years. This is evident from the annual*King's Day Survey (.pdf)*that agency Ipsos carried out on behalf of the NOS. Support for the monarchy has also shrunk significantly and the appreciation for Queen Máxima has also suffered from the ill-timed trip to the holiday villa and other dissatisfaction with the royal family."

Those who thought the Greek holiday (during Covid restrictions not to go abroad on holiday) would be a storm in a teacup, have been proved wrong, it did impact the opinion of the dutch people more than you'd think..

Imo the dutch monarchy as such still has little to fear, i doubt there is a real viable alternative the dutch people as a whole would deem better.. :flowers:

I think:
- the fact Covid is still going on does not help people to forget what a blunder Greece was. Although the apology seemed very sincere, they should have known (or listened) enough to never have gone.
- Amalia is going to be very popular as a rising star and the major focus of people's attention very, very soon
- and whether her sisters eventually help things is going to be up to Alexia and Ariane. We'll see...

A little shocked at the drop in approval for Queen Máxima 83% last year to 68% this year is a drop of 15% but at least the king's approval has increased though still just under 60%.

The drop in support for the Monarchy from 75% to 58% is also alarming.

google translated

I do think it is the combination of the Greek holiday and hardly being able to go out during the Covid pandemic. Had the restrictions been lifted a few months ago, my guess would be that their popularity had recovered more than it has now. Probably support will go up now the whole country was able to see the king, queen and princesses today in Eindhoven and at the concert tonight.

A little shocked at the drop in approval for Queen Máxima 83% last year to 68% this year is a drop of 15% but at least the king's approval has increased though still just under 60%.

The drop in support for the Monarchy from 75% to 58% is also alarming.

A crucial question is how the next generatiion, especially Amalia, will connect with the Dutch people.

Unfortunately, I see Amalia and her sisters more distant/ shielded from public life and public duty than other teenage royals like Elisabeth or Leonor. Maybe that is what their parents think is appropriate for them at their age, but it might be controversial.

Would the current slump in approval ratings be amongst the lowest or has this happened in the past and there was a bounce back?

The Greek holiday was a PR disaster for the King and RF.

Yet in spite of the drop in trust from the previous year, support for having the King play a role in government formation has grown from 33% last year to 41% last year.

I find it interesting that while only a small fraction of the public wish for the princesses (the King's daughters, I assume) to be more visible in the media, that number has doubled from last year (11% to 20%), and a majority (52%) concurs that the Princess of Orange should make more public appearances once she comes of age.

I am curious about the 33% of people who agreed that primogeniture is outdated. Are they generally republicans or would they like to see monarchs chosen by appointment or elections?

Thank you to Lee-Z for posting this fascinating poll (note that the full survey is linked in the NOS article).

A crucial question is how the next generatiion, especially Amalia, will connect with the Dutch people.

Unfortunately, I see Amalia and her sisters more distant/ shielded from public life and public duty than other teenage royals like Elisabeth or Leonor. Maybe that is what their parents think is appropriate for them at their age, but it might be controversial.

It is true. Elisabeth and Leonor play a more active role, while Catharina-Amalia has a still very discreet role.
I'm curious when Catharina-Amalia is going to take a more active role.

I don't see much complains about it in the Dutch media; the large majority will have no clue that Leonor and Elisabeth might be 'visible' a bit more. The king and queen clearly set the expectation that we would only see them limitedly as they highly value an upbringing in which the princesses can truly explore who they are.

It will be interesting to see how they manage the transition to Amalia coming of age next year. Even though Amalia herself didn't think it was a big deal when asked about being "nervous" about her 18th birthday: "last year I turned 17, that wasn't 'spannend' (exciting/scary; in Dutch the word includes both the excitement and being a little nervous) either".

I don't see much complains about it in the Dutch media; the large majority will have no clue that Leonor and Elisabeth might be 'visible' a bit more. The king and queen clearly set the expectation that we would only see them limitedly as they highly value an upbringing in which the princesses can truly explore who they are.

It will be interesting to see how they manage the transition to Amalia coming of age next year. Even though Amalia herself didn't think it was a big deal when asked about being "nervous" about her 18th birthday: "last year I turned 17, that wasn't 'spannend' (exciting/scary; in Dutch the word includes both the excitement and being a little nervous) either".

That is true, and I doubt whether the large majority even knows who Leonor and Elisabeth are.

I do agree with those who think Amalia's apanage starting this year, once she comes of age, is too high. Especially for someone who has only had a very limited visibility, even though that was clearly communicated before.

For such a high amount, I am of the opinion that she should earn her keep.

In that respect, over in Belgium Philippe and Mathilde have taken a better approach for Elisabeth.

I do agree with those who think Amalia's apanage starting this year, once she comes of age, is too high. Especially for someone who has only had a very limited visibility, even though that was clearly communicated before.

For such a high amount, I am of the opinion that she should earn her keep.

I wonder could the high apanage of the Princess of Orange cause even more negativity for the DRF especially as she is so rarely seen?

I wonder could the high apanage of the Princess of Orange cause even more negativity for the DRF especially as she is so rarely seen?

It's not Amalia's fault or choice how much she gets paid, though; that's the government, who already had the option of doing something about it. Can't the money simply go into a trust for her until she is actually working?

Not being seen also means there are far fewer opportunities to do anything wrong or disillusion anyone.

It's not Amalia's fault or choice how much she gets paid, though; that's the government, who already had the option of doing something about it. Can't the money simply go into a trust for her until she is actually working?

Not being seen also means there are far fewer opportunities to do anything wrong or disillusion anyone.

Also true, but the Royal Family is a very touchy subject for the government. At least for the Prime Minister.

As for Amalia and her apanage, IMO doing something wrong and/or disillusion anyone is part of the job. She then at leasts works for the money, as opposed to how things look at the moment. And where work is being done, mistakes are being made.

I think your suggestion of saving the money until she actually does start working is a very good one.
Now it seems like she'll receive it without doing anything simply because she reaches the right age.

Last edited:

But is that known by the general public in the Netherlands? Probably not and then it is what does she need to get all the money when we barely see her and it will fire back on her and her parents.

Also true, but the Royal Family is a very touchy subject for the government. At least for the Prime Minister.

As for Amalia and her apanage, IMO doing something wrong and/or disillusion anyone is part of the job. She then at leasts works for the money, as opposed to how things look at the moment.

And where work is being done, mistakes are being made.

I think your suggestion of saving the money until she actually does start working is a very good one.

Now it seems like she'll receive it without doing anything simply because she reaches the right age.

I do expect that most of the money will indeed be kept for the future; so she can start building up her own 'wealth'. I don't expect it to be used for random shopping trips.

Most likely she will start formally having an office and part of the money will go into that; another part will go into limited royal engagements and the majority will most likely be kept for future use.

But is that known by the general public in the Netherlands? Probably not and then it is what does she need to get all the money when we barely see her and it will fire back on her and her parents.

Yes, that has been discussed in the media. I don't think the people in the Netherlands think that Amalia herself can decide how much she earns. Anyone with even a limited interest would know that those decisions are made by the cabinet. Most of them don't decide on their own salaries either, so that principle is rather basic. Whether some might think that the royal couple actively lobbies for keeping it like it is or not, I cannot tell. And whether they agree that the heir needs such a large amount of money when she is still in her formative years, is a different question.

I don't think Amalia's allowance is the main reason for the dip in popularity. The ratings are at the lowest point in my lifetime. We have had other financial discussions before and none of them had this kind of effect. The Greek vacations must have played a big part in it.

I have no problem with the apanage - 111.000 Euros a year does not get you very far these days. It might enable her to save up a bit. Later on in life neither she nor her future husband will be allowed to get much better paid jobs in the private sector. Jobs that with her family network would probably mean a much higher income than the one she will be having.

And unlike the Duchess of Brabant, Amalia will not be living in a residence that is provided by the state. She will have to find one herself. For that she will need to own a significant amount of money as she can not be living in a normal family home. She will be expected to have a house that has a representational function. A semi-detached home of 160 square meters in Den-Haag Ypenburg or Zoetermeer would be possible for somebody with an income of 111.000 Euros a year but not much more. The income will allow her to lead a comfortable middle class life style but that is it.

The king as prince of Orange still bought real estate from his grandmother for a reduced price but the princess is not likely to have that possibility when the time comes. The family does not have a lot of options anymore these days, most has been sold or split up due to inheritances.

There is a reason why the state has decided to give the princess an allowance at this age. It is not up to the king to deny his daughter an allowance to which she is entitled by law and which was updated and approved by both houses of parlament only a few years ago. Neither does refusing the allowance will have a lasting effect on the ratings of the monarchy. This hype will be forgotten in a few months. And even if she does refuse it for the time being, the drama will start again when she is 25, 30 etc. People are generally misinformed so many will probably not remeber that she does not receive an income, you would be surprised how many people think that even the Van Vollenhovens are getting an apanage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom