Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicola is a very common name amongst women in their 30s and 40s. No-one is going to associate it with Sturgeon. It's not an unusual name like Boris or Keir.

Nicola is a very common name amongst women in their 30s and 40s. No-one is going to associate it with Sturgeon. It's not an unusual name like Boris or Keir.

Heh. People might think they're Bridgerton fans and were inspired by Nicola Coughlan. ;)

I think the second baby will have same naming pattern as August:

August (from maternal great x5 grandfather) Philip (from maternal great grandfather) Hawke (from paternal great x5 grandfather)

The pattern is one name from close senior relative (pretty sure it'll be George if a boy and Elizabeth if a girl), and other two names from both sides for the families that are symmetric. Also to me it seems like if they chose name from a distant ancestor they preferred someone significant or with certain achievement (like P Albert and Hawke who was a Reverend and a JP), rather than just simply choose a "sound good" name.

Boy,

Ivor - from maternal great grandfather (a Brigadier)
George - from paternal grandfather
Godfrey - from paternal great grandfather (a Captain, fought in WWII)

Herbert - from maternal great x3 grandfather (a Lieutenant-Colonel, fought in WWI)
George - from paternal grandfather
Thomas - from paternal great x3 grandfather (2nd Earl of Leicester)

I think it's a boy BTW. :D

Girl,

Alice - from maternal great x2 grandmother
Elizabeth - from maternal great grandmother
Olive - from paternal great x2 grandmother

Celia - from paternal great grandmother
Victoria - from maternal great x5 grandmother (also Eugenie's own middle name)
Elizabeth - from maternal great grandmother

Just for fun, if they really wanted to follow the same pattern

A daughter

Alexandrina Elizabeth Hannah Brooksbank

-Alexandrina- 4x great grandmother (like August stay away from the name known by, Victoria seems reserved for heir)
-Elizabeth- for Eugenie's grandmother
-Hannah-Jack's 4x great grandmother (wife of Hawke)

Caroline Elizabeth Penelope

Caroline-4x great grandmother Anne Caroline Salisbury (Bowes-Lyon side)
Elizabeth-grandmother
Penelope- 4x great grandmother for Jack's side Penelope Sykes

Emma Elizabeth Mary

Emma- 4x great grandmother on the Ferguson line
Elizabeth- grandmother
Mary- 4x great-grandmother of Jack on his mother's side

Or second son

Edwyn Ronald John

Edwyn- 4x great-grandfather on Bowes-Lyon side
Ronald-Eugenie's grandfather since Philip got nod in first son
John-4x great-grandfather of Jack on his maternal grandfather's line

Christian Ronald Julius

Christian- 4x great grandfather Christian X also a nod to her dad's middle
Ronald-other grandfather
Julius-4x great grandfather of Jack on mom's side

Joseph Ronald Edward

Joseph- 4x great grandfarger through Prince Andrew of Greece's line
Ronald-her grandfather
Edward- 4x great grandfather of Jack

All fun aside still sticking on George being included for late grandpa.

Last edited:
:previous: I've thought of Alexandrina as first name as well but it doesn't go well with August :D, always wish some royal baby will use this name though.

I don't think Eugenie and Jack will care what hater think. I mean, they are hater, they would find a reason to rant and be mad no matter what names E&J choose. And Nicola is just a common name, Beatrice's mother-in-law also called Nicola, I won't be surprised if the York sisters name their future daughters Nicola and I don't see any problems.

Very excited to see which name they'll go for. I love that they dug into their family history for August's name. My gut tells me it's a little brother for August, and my name guesses would be:

Boy:
Casper George Coke
Montague George York

Girl:
Cecilia Elizabeth Sebright
Eliza Georgiana York

Coke and Sebright are last names of shared ancestors of Eugenie and Jack. They're both names I could envision them use like August's Hawke. But I have to say, my favourite is York. A family name on Jack's side and for very obvious reasons also holds significance for Eugenie. Seems like a perfect fit!

If August is indeed "named for" Prince Albert, using his middle name, I could vividly imagine them using Eliza to honour QEII. It's fresh and bright (like August) and isn't too similar to a cousin's name. And Eliza Brooksbank sounds delightful!

Why August was named what he was is known. It was made public at the time of his birth. There is no question he was named for Prince Albert. In reality August was part of his double first name. He was Prince Franz August. Albert was a middle name, Karl Albert Emmanuel. He was named for his godfathers.

Eliza being a shortened version of Elizabeth is not on the same level. I have my doubts she'd use Eliza/beth as a first name with Lilibet.

If they chose to use a surname, my only wager would be on Stamp. It has a long history to a 17th century ancestor (named as he was his maternal grandfather's heir). It is Jack's third name and his grandfather's.

The issue with Nicola is that people will associate it with Nicola Sturgeon and claim that Eugenie is honoring her or supporting the break-up of the UK. It won't matter whether the name is explained to the public or not that is what the York haters will say and they are a very large percentage of the UK's population.

Considering Jack's mother's name is Nicola, I don't think anyone would think it has anything to do with Nicola Sturgeon.

It doesn't take a public announcement of name choice, to clear that one up.

:previous: Well no, it was made public that he was named for "both of his great x5 grandfathers". Maybe I explained myself clumsily: I'm aware of Albert's full name – it doesn't change the fact that he was known as Albert from birth.

I don't know, I suppose I just find it a bit weird to "name a child after" someone using a name they haven't gone by. I mean, if someone wanted to name their child after Haakon VII of Norway, I doubt they'd go for Christian or Frederik even though Christian Frederik was his first name. But to each their own.

As for Eliza, well, let's see :D I don't see any reason why the Sussexes' use of Lilibet should prevent the Brooksbanks from using Eliza. Those two names are not even remotely similar.

And as for the use of a surname... except they used Hawke :cool:

:previous: I've thought of Alexandrina as first name as well but it doesn't go well with August :D, always wish some royal baby will use this name though.

I don't think Eugenie and Jack will care what hater think. I mean, they are hater, they would find a reason to rant and be mad no matter what names E&J choose. And Nicola is just a common name, Beatrice's mother-in-law also called Nicola, I won't be surprised if the York sisters name their future daughters Nicola and I don't see any problems.

Both the York sisters' mothers-in-law share the name Nicola. what a sweet coincidence. I like the name, but I don't see them using it as first name, maybe middle name.

Both the York sisters' mothers-in-law share the name Nicola. what a sweet coincidence.

As well as both Swedish Princesses' mothers-in-law share the name Eva:flowers:

And as for the use of a surname... except they used Hawke :cool:

Hawke is not a surname. He was named after Reverend Edward Hawke Brooksbank. Hawke was the man's middle name not his surname.

In the case of 5x great-grandfathers they Chose to use names the man did not go by in every day life. Not everyone chooses to honor someone through their first/calling name. If you don't like the name for your child, you may use one of their other.Maybe they didn't like Albert. Maybe they loved Hawke, so thought to do non-call name for both to balance.

Some people don't like to give Close family same or very close to same first names. Eliza and Lilibet are very close. Eliza also isn't as formal as August, likely more traditional/formal name.

:previous: While I admittedly haven't been that far back in the Brooksbank family tree, but I'd venture there's a good chance Hawke was once the last name of someone significant and then given to the Rev. in their honour as is tradition in the family. I also think you know that's what I meant ;)

On Eliza: I mean, fair enough that you don't think they'll use it but the fact that both names are derived from Elizabeth aside, Eliza and Lilibet genuinely aren't even remotely close. In terms of the great-grandchildren's names, Eliza is far closer in both pronunciation and look to Isla.

Eliza is also a family name on both Jack and Eugenie's side of the family ?

The issue with Nicola is that people will associate it with Nicola Sturgeon and claim that Eugenie is honoring her or supporting the break-up of the UK. It won't matter whether the name is explained to the public or not that is what the York haters will say and they are a very large percentage of the UK's population.

I wouldn’t rule out Nicole for that reason, also I took from August’s name that they prefer the child to have their own first name. Nicole would therefore be a possibility for a first name with a nod to Jack’s mother, leaving two other family members to be honoured with the other names.

I agree, Eliza is more similar to Elizabeth than Lilibet. She’s Lilli. Eliza could still happen though Peter has used Isla - Savannah and Sienna are similar in the same sort of way.

If Eugenie and Jack like the name Lizzy, I think Eliza would be the given name as it’s more traditional than that, if not as traditional as some.

I am not keen on reusing a name that a sibling already has (sorry William and Catherine with Louis when it’s one of George’s middle names and HM & Philip using Edward when Andrew already had it) so I hope they’ll use Stamp rather than using Hawke again.

Meee;2528698 I am not keen on reusing a name that a sibling already has (sorry William and Catherine with Louis when it’s one of George’s middle names and HM & Philip using Edward when Andrew already had it) so I hope they’ll use Stamp rather than using Hawke again.[/QUOTE said:
I have a feeling that William and Catherine really liked the name Louis - but it was not considered a British "kingly" name so they chose George instead and used the one they really wanted as a middle name. If George had not been the heir, HE may have been named Louis instead. (Sorry convoluted reasoning, I know...)

I can see a little girl being named Nicole Alexandrina Elizabeth in varying places in a name
Nicole from paternal GM Alexandrina from Queen Vic and Elizabeth from the late Queen.
Other names possible are Angela and Marguarite (QEQM)
Margaret is also floating around through Sarah Margaret duchess of York

The Peerage News blog states that the Brooksbank family tradition of using family surnames as given names goes back for generations.

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2021/02/eugenie-and-jacks-son-could-be-york.html

However, it apparently does not apply to every single member of the Brooksbank family. In August Brooksbank's direct male lineage:

Edward York Brooksbank
Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank
George Edward Hugh Brooksbank
Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank
August Philip Hawke Brooksbank

The name of Jack Brooksbank's brother Tom, whose full name is Thomas George Brooksbank, also does not follow the tradition, but he and his wife Amy, whose birth name was Amy Louise Ewing Rodgers, followed the tradition with both of their children:

Wilfred Stamp Ewing Brooksbank
Darcey Violet Ewing Brooksbank

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2020/07/nephew-for-jack-brooksbank-and-princess.html
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2022/03/darcey-violet-ewing-brooksbank-born-2022.html

The Peerage News blog states that the Brooksbank family tradition of using family surnames as given names goes back for generations.

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2021/02/eugenie-and-jacks-son-could-be-york.html

However, it apparently does not apply to every single member of the Brooksbank family. In August Brooksbank's direct male lineage:

Edward York Brooksbank
Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank
George Edward Hugh Brooksbank
Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank
August Philip Hawke Brooksbank

The name of Jack Brooksbank's brother Tom, whose full name is Thomas George Brooksbank, also does not follow the tradition, but he and his wife Amy, whose birth name was Amy Louise Ewing Rodgers, followed the tradition with both of their children:

Wilfred Stamp Ewing Brooksbank
Darcey Violet Ewing Brooksbank

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2020/07/nephew-for-jack-brooksbank-and-princess.html
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2022/03/darcey-violet-ewing-brooksbank-born-2022.html

In the case of Ewing its not likely using a surname as a middle name. They just gave the kid both surnames which isn't uncommon. If it was just one child I'd think it was just a middle name but as both kids have it, it seems Tom and his wife decided to pass on both their surnames.

Stamp stopped being 'using a surname as a first name' after the first Stamp Brooksbank. Ever since then it has become simply a name. Many first names started out as surnames at some point in history.

For a boy I would to see Philip Stamp Brooksbank, and for a girl, she should be called Elizabeth

the odds are that if they have a daughter Eliz wil be one of her names, as the RF have nearly always given Eliz as a second name to one daughter.. Zara Tindalls daughter, Peter Phillips' daughter etc. but I'd leave it up to them to choose what name a daughter should be called by

For a daughter: Julia after Lady Julia Coke, who is the daughter of Jack's great-great-grandfather Thomas Coke

As they already have a son named August, for a daughter they could pick May (and Elizabeth as midddle name - and another one from Jack's family).

My bets

Girl: Alice (for Philip's mother), Helena or Victoria (Eugenie's middle names), Mary (for the late Queen and aunt Beatrice), Amelia, Theodora and Caroline (royal name).

Sarah and Elizabeth will be among the middle names

Boy: Alfred, Leopold, Victor, Christian (one of Andrew's middle name), Edmund and Nicholas (all royal names).

Last edited:
Julie - not quite Julia, but nearly! - is also a Battenberg name, if you go back far enough ��.

Julie - not quite Julia, but nearly! - is also a Battenberg name, if you go back far enough ��.

No its Julia not Julie (unless you mean you prefer the modern name)

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alexandra-queen-consort-of-Great-Britain

And yes the original Battenberg was Julia. Princess Alice's grandmother. Countess Julia von Hauke was named Countess Battenberg when she married Prince Alexander of Hesse-Darmstadt. Her brother in law bestowed the title on her and later Princess of Battenberg, starting the morgantic cadet line.

Princess Alice also had Julia as her final middle name, in honor of her grandmother.
For a daughter: Julia after Lady Julia Coke, who is the daughter of Jack's great-great-grandfather Thomas Coke

Jack is descended though from a younger half brother of Julia, Major John Spencer Coke.

But Eugenie is descended from Julia, so it is still fitting.

Last edited:
I prefer Julia. Not sure why I thought Julia von Hauke was called Julie!

I can imagine some quaint, old girls' names going well with August:

Clementine
Theodora
Cecilia
Valentina
Adelaide
Cornelia
Dorothea
Evelina
Christiana
Constance

I think they’ll have a girl this time and Sarah and Elizabeth would be amongst the middle names.

Possible names:

Edwina
Caroline
Patricia
Victoria
Alice/ Alicia

If it’s a boy -

David
Nicholas
John
Thomas
Hugh/Hugo

For a boy:
Isaac
Benedict
Tudor
Gideon
Theodore
Ivar
Lucien
Reuben
Emmanuel
Magnus
Montague
Raphael

I wonder what Eugenie will name the baby?

Back
Top Bottom