Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Meghan’s ‘story’ plays much more in the American media for obvious reasons.

It’s the whole ‘American princess’ thing plus the biracial angle so those things do bring a new element to the coverage.

Best of luck to Meghan and her family. I hope they’re able to handle their new found fame.

But you are absolutely right, its not ok or right, but being with the royal comes with a massive media spotlight on anyone and everything around you. Harry seemed to be at pains that he was candid with Meghan about this. Whether or not Meghan took that to heart, who knows? But the royals have immense unearned privilege, with that comes certain sacrifices. Eventually, the media will begin to lose interest in her immediate family [...] It is just about riding this awful wave now until you get to shore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media is treating Meghan’s father like he’s some kind of mysterious human being. He’s a retired man and living a quiet life. He’s going to walk his daughter down the aisle, so I think the media should leave the man alone.

But anyway I hope Meghan’s dad gets to walk her down the aisle even if he wasn’t able to at her first wedding.

Please note that several posts have been deleted or edit in order to remove comparisons between Meghan and Catherine or their respective wedding venues. Some of the posts were rather bickering in their content which is disruptive - if you wish to have a private conversation with another member please do so by private message. Thank you.

I know some are saying that Meghan is in LA with her mom right now, but I hope her Mother and family are okay and not in harms way with the California fires going on. The fire is very major right now.

What criticism? It's an interesting choice of word to use, as if Meghan and her family have done something wrong.

As for Meghan's father being hunted down in his private, quiet location in Mexico, his address published by tabloids, and his everyday activities followed like he's a person of interest. He's not. It's wrong, and nothing is ever going to change, if it's faced with only 'hmm, that's what's always happened, it's never going to change.' attitude. It'll change when the readers demand change. I honestly don't think anyone is really interested in knowing what Meghan's retired father does in his quiet little town every day. He's not doing anything illegal, he doesn't deserve to be hounded like this. This is not some big news, the paps hunting him down haven't done some great investigative reporting.

Those of us who have mentioned the hounding of Kate’s family by paps did it to illustrate what the most recent royal bride’s family has been through. I have been following the royal brides since Diana and this is standard practice, like it or not. Enough people are interested in her father for him to be stalked and hounded. Don’t buy People magazine,where she and Harry on the cover, or click on any internet sites of them at all if you want to vote with your pocketbook

Those of us who have mentioned the hounding of Kate’s family by paps did it to illustrate what the most recent royal bride’s family has been through. I have been following the royal brides since Diana and this is standard practice, like it or not. Enough people are interested in her father for him to be stalked and hounded. Don’t buy People magazine,where she and Harry on the cover, or click on any internet sites of them at all if you want to vote with your pocketbook

I think there is also a difference between interest in her and interest in her family. She's not going to be a private individual. And the lost of some of her privacy is a deal she made when she agreed to marry this man. I think we all recognize that. That's part of why she's given security. However, it is and should be different when it involves private individuals. And really, I don't think we should use past bad behavior to justify current bad behavior, do you?

Saying that this behavior by the paps is standard practice in no way condones or justifies the behavior, it was stating a fact. I condemn this behavior especially when it involves children and will not consume such media so that I don’t encourage the practice.

Do millions of people really want to know where Meghan's 73 year old retired father lives, or what he does in his everyday life? I really doubt it.

And now people know, he's been followed for days, he even said, that he's delighted to welcome Prince Harry to the family, and would love to walk Meghan down the aisle. What more is there left to know? Now he can be left alone.

Exactly! It’s plain & simple harassment & disrespectful! Meghan’s parents gave a joint statement on the day of the engagement that was published by KP.

Just because in previous years the tabloids have displayed unprofessional behaviour, doesn’t mean that harassing an elderly man should be considered acceptable behaviour. Her Majesty & Prince Philip also congratulated Harry & Meghan, I didn’t see any tabloids screaming out to Her Majesty yesterday when she had an engagement for extra comments. Or clamouring outside Windsor Castle trying to get an update from Prince Philip.

IMO, Buying a regular magazine, such as People or Hello, with Harry & Meghan on the cover, is not the same as buying, clicking or reading any of the trashy tabloids that are exploiting an elderly man.

Do millions of people really want to know where Meghan's 73 year old retired father lives, or what he does in his everyday life? I really doubt it.

And now people know, he's been followed for days, he even said, that he's delighted to welcome Prince Harry to the family, and would love to walk Meghan down the aisle. What more is there left to know? Now he can be left alone.
I think there will be tabloid interest, at least for while.

But you are absolutely right, its not ok or right, but being with the royal comes with a massive media spotlight on anyone and everything around you. Harry seemed to be at pains that he was candid with Meghan about this. Whether or not Meghan took that to heart, who knows? But the royals have immense unearned privilege, with that comes certain sacrifices. Eventually, the media will begin to lose interest in her immediate family [...] It is just about riding this awful wave now until you get to shore.

Yes, everyone with a smidgen of foresight knew her father would be put under a microscope. Even Chelsy and Cressida's fathers were investigated by the press and had their dirty laundry aired, and those two were mere fathers of girlfriends.

You're also right that the media will lose interest in him shortly after the wedding (unless he does something scandalous). Look at Michael Middleton, a day after the wedding the paparazzi were harassing him while he was mowing his lawn trying to mind his own business. But nowadays they seem to leave him alone unless he's out with Catherine or Pippa, or he attends events like Wimbledon.

The tabloids are a lot more obsessive and toxic with women, so while they'll start to ignore Meghan's father in about 6 months from now, her mother's in for a much longer haul.

I know some are saying that Meghan is in LA with her mom right now, but I hope her Mother and family are okay and not in harms way with the California fires going on. The fire is very major right now.

Be assured that Meghan's mother does not live in or near the fire zones. She's within 15 miles of my own home and it's not close to any of the canyons or foothills.? However like everyone else, they'll have to contend with poor air quality and dry, windy weather.

Be assured that Meghan's mother does not live in or near the fire zones. She's within 15 miles of my own home and it's not close to any of the canyons or foothills.? However like everyone else, they'll have to contend with poor air quality and dry, windy weather.

Thank God. I was wondering if her mom and other family members were battling the fire.

I hope you all stay safe and okay.

Thank you Dman. Yes, it's a very frightening situation in SoCal now with fires across Ventura, Los Angeles and San Diego counties. Hoping that the Santanna winds (dry desert winds from the east) will end this weekend, bringing back to the off shore coastal air that we need. No rain forecast for the next 10 days unfortunately.:sad:

The relentless pursuit is really awful. A nod to her mum and dad—I’d be screaming. TLLK thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.

Thank you MissJersey. We're okay since we're closer to the beach and away from the foothills, but there is ash all over the backyard patio and the neighbors' cars.

Stay safe tllk and hoping that the winds die down soon. :flowers:

Glad to hear that Doria is in a similar situation/location in this. But wish that was her only concern. This stalking her, including at her dry cleaner's, is getting ridiculous and possibly dangerous.

The irony of people complaining about paparazzi stalking her parents and then posting articles about it all the time here is killing me:ROFLMAO:

What I find interesting that the paps and the press are not chasing down Samantha Markle, the backstabbing half-sister who's planning to do a tell all book. You would think the gossip press would go after her since she's has dirt on Meghan.

Stay safe tllk and hoping that the winds die down soon. :flowers:

Glad to hear that Doria is in a similar situation/location in this. But wish that was her only concern. This stalking her, including at her dry cleaner's, is getting ridiculous and possibly dangerous.

Thanks Countessmeout!:flowers:

I don't think there has been any sightings of her, but the KP press release did say, that she would be visiting family and friends, and then some magazines published, that she's in LA, so it's not hard to think she in fact is in LA, or elsewhere visiting her family and friends. I also think Harry joined her for a few days. But that's just my opinion, based on no knowledge.

The irony of people complaining about paparazzi stalking her parents and then posting articles about it all the time here is killing me:ROFLMAO:

To be fair, there is only one link posted by someone complaining about the paparazzi stalking since her father's been discovered. Some of us has refrained from posting such links for the precise reason that we don't support it.

What I find interesting that the paps and the press are not chasing down Samantha Markle, the backstabbing half-sister who's planning to do a tell all book. You would think the gossip press would go after her since she's has dirt on Meghan.

No need to track someone down that is literally putting herself out there every single day. Also it seems most people are on to her now. She's not really saying anything different than she did when she first came out.

^^ The half-sister's aim seemed to be trying to slam Meghan in hopes of breaking up her relationship with Harry, which was a laughable goal. Apparently, no one could have stopped Meghan/Harry's union from happening. It actually seems fated. As Harry said, "... the stars aligned." Sam Grant's pitiable efforts to change her tune pre- and post- the engagement announcement are also laughable. Seemingly Grant has some enablers exploiting her -- with both sides having purely for-profit motivations. Grant will be dropped by exploiters when/if she's found no longer useful. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I also wonder whether Trevor Engelson's proposed tv pilot that tags onto his relationship with Meghan, will ever see the light of day.

Sad about Meghan's parents being relentlessly stalked. Hopefully, steeper security measures are being put into place for them. Wishing Meghan & Harry a happy Christmas in England, and a fun vacation in the sun! Plus smooth sailing in the months leading to their wedding day. With all the pressure and excitement, I hope they get the chance to relax and enjoy the moments.

The more I learn about Meghan (seeing the 2016 Create & Cultivate interview posted earlier in this thread), the more impressed I become. She seems to be a person who's open to life, and who learns from each experience, and from the wisdom of smart people she meets, and then she applies what she's learned, all the while giving thanks for her blessings, as well as giving back to others in creative & heartfelt ways. She's very savvy and strong, while also being genuinely sweet & down-to-earth. How cool to be able to maintain such a balance! Of course, I'm sure she has foibles that allow her to not take herself too seriously. No one is a perfect person, but seemingly Meghan has learned to genuinely tap into what's true about herself, even while maintaining the necessary 'game-face' that we all must don when facing the world. To me these comments she's made in the past seem to be key to how she rolls:
"Don't give it five minutes, if you aren't going to give it five years."
The advice she learned from casting director, April Webster: "You need to know that you're enough"
In fact these words were Meghan's farewell to her Tig followers: "You my friend, you are enough!"
From Suits' castmate Gina Torres: "Leave room for the magic..."
What Meghan said she shares with Serena Williams:
'endless ambition,' and 'a desire to exceed expectations.'
What she learned from her h.s. teacher, Maria Pollia:
"Life is about putting other's needs above your own fears..." That might also translate into taking care of yourself first, setting and achieving goals, counting your blessings, and then not being afraid to take personal risks in giving back to others.
http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/culture/articles/a33082/meghan-markles-inspirational-quotes/
https://www.birchbox.com/magazine/article/meghan-markle-suits-beauty-secrets
http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-looks/style/5-must-know-style-tips-from-suits-star-meghan-markle/
https://www.today.com/style/meghan-markle-s-favorite-beauty-products-skin-makeup-hair-t119013

I don't know if the below article was posted previously about the organization where Meghan adopted her rescue dog, Guy. Hopefully, more dogs from this group will get good homes, as a result of the exposure:
Meghan Markle gives Ontario dog royal treatment - CityNews Toronto

The recent pictures of Meghan on the cover of Vanity Fair Mexico, and on the cover of French Elle, were originally taken by photographer Christian Blanchard for Australia's Gritty Pretty online magazine. Here are links to Blanchard's photos, and to the original article in Gritty Pretty (the brainchild of editor, Eleanor Pendleton):
Christian Blanchard - Fashion Photographer and Film Director - Christian Blanchard is a fashion photographer and film director based in New York click on the photo of Meghan for full set of shots
Gritty Pretty Magazine | Spring 2015 — Meghan Markle

Wrap-up of the last couple of weeks of M&H madness, plus views of Meghan's former Toronto home which has been put up for sale by the owner: http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2017/12/sunday-wrap-up-meghan-in-la-when-well.html#comment-form

Last edited:
I hope that MM is having a great time with her family and friends in America and Toronto. I just find it amazing how she can totally ghost the UK press who seem obsessed with every minute detail about her past. US press while just as silly is not as obsessive on a daily basis. I hope she comes back soon and refreshed. The press needs new narrative and I hope Harry and Meghan allow themselves to be seen taking part in the life of Meghan's new country....perhaps go see Hamilton!!?? What if Kate and Meghan saw a show together? It would help set the tone and undercut any future rivalry narrative.

Although we will see Meghan from time to time as its been stated that she will be going places in the UK in the run up to the wedding, I don't think we're going to see a lot of her. I think she'll pretty much stay in the background except for when she may be out with Harry.

Too much focus on Meghan and Harry as a couple right now would kind of undermine and totally take focus away from everything else the royal family is doing in the way of engagements and duties. For the "Firm", its business as usual. That's how it should be.

Well I think Harry and KP know how important it is that Meghan be seen more leading up to the wedding so I suspect we will see more of her in the coming weeks/months. But I'm happy that she is getting time to spend with friends and family before she completely immerses herself into royal life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom