Juan Valentín, Pablo, Miguel & Irene Urdangarín, News and Events 3: Jan. 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
155px-Coat_of_arms_of_Infanta_Cristina_of_Spain.svg.png

Arms of Infanta Cristina

Welcome to Juan Valentín, Pablo Nicolás, Miguel and Irene Urdangarín, News and Events, Part 3

Commencing January 30th, 2024

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
What a very worthwhile mission and bravo to Doña Irene :flowers:

Good to see she is following in her eldest brother's footsteps.

Irene with her mother in India. In some pictures she has the Borbon looks of Cristina (similar to Leonor) but in general I think she looks like Inaki, her father.

Especially here, spitting image of Inaki

The grandchildren of king Juan Carlos are considered Grandes of Spain, which is the highest honor in the ranks of nobility. But I always wonder why he didn't give each one personal title before he abdicated. His ancestor, Queen Isabela II entitled every child she had and then some besides the main title Infante/Infanta of Spain.

The grandchildren of king Juan Carlos are considered Grandes of Spain, which is the highest honor in the ranks of nobility. But I always wonder why he didn't give each one personal title before he abdicated. His ancestor, Queen Isabela II entitled every child she had and then some besides the main title Infante/Infanta of Spain.
He not did grant titles to children of either of his sisters and I never expected to see titles on any of his grandchildren either!

Last edited:
He did grant titles to children of either of his sisters and I never expected to see titles on any of his grandchildren either!
I'm checking online doing searches in Spanish to find why and here's the translated Wiki Spain page:
Títulos nobiliarios otorgados por Juan Carlos I - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

"As for the rank of the title, there is no guideline either, and they are usually granted at the mercy of the king, although the duchies and grandeurs of Spain have been reserved – which the former implicitly carry – for those cases closest to the king or as a special recognition."

"...The children of the Infantes and Infantas of Spain from the moment of their birth have the title and treatment of Grandees of Spain and, in the case of both the Infantes and Infantas and their children, they possess this title for life...This would not be the case with hereditary titles in sensu stricto, but with a position that grants them a title and treatment.

I'm checking online doing searches in Spanish to find why and here's the translated Wiki Spain page:
Títulos nobiliarios otorgados por Juan Carlos I - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

"As for the rank of the title, there is no guideline either, and they are usually granted at the mercy of the king, although the duchies and grandeurs of Spain have been reserved – which the former implicitly carry – for those cases closest to the king or as a special recognition."

"...The children of the Infantes and Infantas of Spain from the moment of their birth have the title and treatment of Grandees of Spain and, in the case of both the Infantes and Infantas and their children, they possess this title for life...This would not be the case with hereditary titles in sensu stricto, but with a position that grants them a title and treatment.
They also have the courtesy style of His or Her Excellency Don/Doña which is the equivalent to Lord/Lady.

I had to correct ab error above, I just realized after reading the bio on Queen Isabel II, she lost most of her children at early ages, from stillborn to 3 weeks of age. When I thought about her giving titles away, I realized it was to members of her court, especially the biological fathers of her 12 children.

He did grant titles to children of either of his sisters and I never expected to see titles on any of his grandchildren either!
You mean he did not grant titles to them

I had to correct ab error above, I just realized after reading the bio on Queen Isabel II, she lost most of her children at early ages, from stillborn to 3 weeks of age. When I thought about her giving titles away, I realized it was to members of her court, especially the biological fathers of her 12 children.

Yes, Queen Isabel II's children were automatically Infantas and Infantes at birth, as they were born to a reigning monarch.

In the Spanish system, the highest-ranking title is used, and a royal title such as Infanta or Infante outranks a title of nobility such as Duchess or Duke. Thus, there would have been no purpose to gifting titles of nobility to her children, since they would not be expected to use them.

The regulation that children of Infantas and Infantes (not the Infantes and Infantes themselves) are limited to being "only" Grandees of Spain was of course introduced by King Juan Carlos I in his 1987 decree. Prior to this, children of Infantas and Infantes, if they were Spanish subjects and from "equal" marriages, were routinely created Infantas and Infantes. (But the marriages of Elena, Cristina and Felipe to non-royals would have been deemed "unequal" under the old laws, just as their aunts' marriages were treated as "unequal".)

Pablo Urdangarín on his return to Barcelona.

More photos of Irene Urdangarín in Cambodia.

Infanta Cristina has never had any personal arms of her own. Drawings of invented arms have found their way onto Wikipedia, but they have no basis in reality. Whenever coats of arms have been required for Infantas Elena and Cristina, the arms of the royal family have been used (as can be seen in photographs of older royal events).
Yes, that is correct. The only members of the Spanish royal family who have an official coat of arms are King Felipe VI, the Princess of Asturias, and King Juan Carlos.

I would realy like Queen Letizia to be given a personal coat of arms too, but that has not happened so far. When needed, she uses her husband's arms as seen recently when she was inducted into the Danish Order of the Elephant.

Irene seems to be dating Juan Urquijo (whose sister Teresa recently married the Mayor of Madrid) since fall. They've known each other since childhood, he's 7 years older than her and a agronomist engineer.

At that age, 7 years is a considerable age difference; one fresh out of high school and the other well after college. However, his sister married someone almost twice her age...

The pair are also distantly related being descendants of Alfonso XII.

Indeed, Juan Urquijo is a member of one of the numerous morganatic cadet branches of the royal dynasty, and they are fourth cousins through their royal lineage:

King Alfonso XII of Spain - María de las Mercedes, Princess of Asturias - Infante Alfonso of Spain - Princess Teresa of Bourbon - Beatriz of Bourbon-Two Sicilies - Juan Urquijo

King Alfonso XII of Spain - King Alfonso XIII of Spain - Juan, Count of Barcelona - King Juan Carlos I of Spain - Infanta Cristina of Spain - Irene Urdangarin

Indeed, Juan Urquijo is a member of one of the numerous morganatic cadet branches of the royal dynasty, and they are fourth cousins through their royal lineage:

King Alfonso XII of Spain - María de las Mercedes, Princess of Asturias - Infante Alfonso of Spain - Princess Teresa of Bourbon - Beatriz of Bourbon-Two Sicilies - Juan Urquijo

King Alfonso XII of Spain - King Alfonso XIII of Spain - Juan, Count of Barcelona - King Juan Carlos I of Spain - Infanta Cristina of Spain - Irene Urdangarin
He is not a descendant from a morganatic branch, but from a female branch

He is not a descendant from a morganatic branch, but from a female branch

Dynastic rights such as royal titles and inheritance of the throne have been transmissible through both females and males for most of Spanish royal history. However, before the Pragmatic Sanction of 1776 was superseded by the current Constitution (at least, that seems to be the most common view), "unequal" marriages between a royal and a non-royal, like that of Juan's grandparents, were treated as morganatic.

Dynastic rights such as royal titles and inheritance of the throne have been transmissible through both females and males for most of Spanish royal history. However, before the Pragmatic Sanction of 1776 was superseded by the current Constitution (at least, that seems to be the most common view), "unequal" marriages between a royal and a non-royal, like that of Juan's grandparents, were treated as morganatic.
But then his grandmother was perhaps a spanish dynast, but she did not have any spanish Titles. Only her parents and later her brother had them

But then his grandmother was perhaps a spanish dynast, but she did not have any spanish Titles. Only her parents and later her brother had them

Juan's grandmother Princess Teresa was certainly a Spanish dynast in the eyes of Alfonso XIII seeing as he deemed her parents' marriage to be dynastic (by convention, he would not have created Juan's great-grandmother Alice an Infanta by grace if he had not considered the marriage to be such).

Presumably, Teresa and her siblings were granted the same Spanish form of address and rank as other dynastic children of Infantes and Infantas who were not themselves Infantes and Infantas:

Juan's grandmother Princess Teresa was certainly a Spanish dynast in the eyes of Alfonso XIII seeing as he deemed her parents' marriage to be dynastic (by convention, he would not have created Juan's great-grandmother Alice an Infanta by grace if he had not considered the marriage to be such).

Presumably, Teresa and her siblings were granted the same Spanish form of address and rank as other dynastic children of Infantes and Infantas who were not themselves Infantes and Infantas:

There is no Royal Decree granting them any titles in this link.

It was impossible for Alfonso XIII to issue official royal decrees concerning the family because, by the time of the former Infante Alfonso's marriage and the birth of his children (Teresa being his firstborn), Spain had become a republic and the former King Alfonso XIII was exiled to Italy.

However, the linked segment of the article refers to the form of address (Royal Highness) and rank (equivalent to those of Infantes) which Alfonso XIII accorded to members of the family who were in identical or similar positions while he was still a reigning sovereign, and those Royal Decrees are quoted further down.

Back
Top Bottom