Infanta Maria Francisca de Bragança and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins, 7 Oct. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got a glimpse of her, she looks GORGEOUS. A truly elegant dress without silly lace (nothing else could be expected from Dona Luzia Nascimento). Maria is pretty and, besides Queen Marie Amelie's tiara, didn't need much.

Her entrance

Last edited:
This is such a very sweet couple :crown6:

Congratulations to them!

Exchange of rings.

There's quite a turnout from German royals. I've spotted Georg Friedrich of Prussia, the young Duke of Wurttemberg with his mother Duchess Marie, Gloria and Albert of Thurn und Taxis, Ludwig and Sophie of Bavaria.

Last edited:

Thank you very much. This was a great help in following the proceedings.

That the monarchist association recruited 600 volunteers to assist with the wedding is impressive, especially when it is not even the wedding of the future head of the family. But the explanation that they see it as an excellent opportunity to promote their cause makes sense.

Were the dance troupe's costumes folk dress?

The flags are already raised in Mafra
All around Terreiro D. João V are 10 banners three meters high and one meter wide. Half with the blue and white flag of the monarchy and the other half with the bride and groom's monogram. Interspersed, there are 10 flagpoles with 10 flags of the main Portuguese dynasties, from the founding of Portugal until 1910.
https://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gba17efe4/22549251_C0u8T.jpeg

Excellent, I wish royal and noble families would make more use of standards, coats of arms, monograms and so on.

As others said earlier, it's delightful to see a former ruling family that treats the country they claim to represent and its democratically elected governments with respect - to the point where they seated the president of Portugal with the family in the front row and he was first in line after the newlyweds to take communion. The long list of current and former officials attending is also impressive, again, especially since it is not even the wedding of the future head of the house.

Can anyone explain the reason for inviting those particular mayors? It is obvious why the mayor of Mafra and the mayor of Lisbon would be invited, but what is the reason for the other two?

I could see it , a real royal Wedding and what a Basilika .
The greatest moment was when the infanta alone gave her wedding flowers to the Madonna . The Madonna wore the pink Royal Order of St Isabel of Portugal.
The president of Portugal and Don Duarte 's family were at the first row.

Last edited:
They are now showing the reception. The television just interviewed Pss Marie of Liechtenstein / France. She replied in Portuguese. The last princess of the house of Savoy-Genoa -who now lives in Brazil- was there as well, with a son, daughter-in-law and grandchild.

Stephane Bern is there as well. And I think I even saw Netty of nettyroyal talking to Dom Duarte [he was talking to a group of reporters perhaps].

Mafra looks glorious indeed. I visited it two years ago and it is an impressive place.

Last edited:
Thanks! The bride looks wonderful, but Dom Duarte Pio looks both proud and frail.

A lovely couple indeed. They seemed a little unsure how to proceed when arriving at the altar (and she had some issues with her veil as well). Especially with her face covered in this specific dress she looked a bit older than she actually is (often she looks a little younger, so I guess that evens it out). It's a beautiful tiara!

While the bride is 26, her father is 78, so, it's no surprise that he starting to look frail.

Last edited:
The quality of the fabric is extraordinary. Reminds me of Máxima's.

A grand wedding and a very beautiful bride. What's the next big wedding on the horizon?

The wedding dress reminded me of Máxima's dress as well.

Hopefully Theodora of Greece's wedding will also (take place and) be a true royal event with many foreign royal guests (probably even more; especially more royals from reigning families - as she is a cousin/niece of two reigning monarchs).

Edit: Histoires Royales also has many pictures (and includes a genealogy).

Last edited:
Wedding videos:

https://tviplayer.iol.pt/programa/c...rancisca-de-braganca/6516f2b8d34e371fc0b829cc

I really enjoyed watching this wedding, unfortunately I couldn't be there, but I watched it on television.
Infanta María Francisca was stunning, the dress was very beautiful and the tiara was magnificent.
There were many personalities present, national and international.
I was surprised by the crowd that was there with monarchy flags.
I hope to be able to be present at the weddings of Infanta Maria Francisca's brothers.

Photos from the wedding dinner:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyIg93csr3x/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyIj-4IsOqv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited by a moderator:
Infanta Maria Francisca gave an interview to Manuel Luís Goucha's "Goucha" program.
The Dukes of Bragança were also interviewed.

https://tvi.iol.pt/goucha/casamento...anta-maria-francisca-da-detalhes-do-casamento

A few wedding details from the TVI interview, as summarized by Cristina on the Royal Jewels of the World message board:

-The prewedding event will not be a formal tiara event (helas ...) but, by express wish from bride and groom, an informal party with traditional portuguese food, music and dancing (in Portugal is called Arraial), for all the guests to relax and have a good time before the more formal wedding day.

-By express wish from the Duke of Braganza, all the products, materials, food, etc. in use at the wedding festivities are to be exclusively of portuguese origin, as a way to suport national economy.

-The bride will wear two dresses, a more formal one for the religious cerimony and another one for the wedding party, a simpler design that allows her to dance. Both dresses were designed and made by the Haute Couture atelier of portuguese Luzia do Nascimento, longtime seamstress to the Duchess and the Infanta.

-The wedding party for closer family and friends will take place in the gardens of the family home at São Pedro de Sintra.

-A popular street party is planned for wellwhishers close to the Palace of Mafra.

-There will be two wedding cakes for bride and groom to cut, one for the family and friends wedding party at the family home, and another for the wellwishers popular party at Mafra.

-In the interview Infanta Maria Francisca referred how she considers the cut of the wedding cake at the popular street party as the most important one, as a sign of the utmost aprecciation for all the people who will come to show their support to herself and her family, and to all the local people from Mafra whom so generously have welcomed them.

-The Duchess of Braganza confirmed that the couple will go on honeymoon to Morocco. The recent and tragic earthquake only reinforced their decision, as a way to economically help and support the moroccan people at this dificult time.

-The couple will be moving to London. Maria Francisca intends to focus on developing the Prize Infanta Maria Francisca to help promote young artists. She intends to create a large family and have at least five children.

A big beautiful joyful Royal wedding. My favorite kind!;)?

The photos from the party are just as great. Can't link them as they are from a private account, but I'm sure they will find their way here before dawn.

Maria Francisca is wearing a STUNNING diamond and emerald brooch.

Last edited:
Stating that you intend to create a family of at least 5 children is not a smart one imho. Why put a number on it? And there are no guarantees that they are even able to conceive them or it might turn out to be much more complicated or they moght have a child that requires special care because of which a large family might not be the best idea. Something along the lines of hoping to have a large family would convey a somewhat similar message without going into unnecessary detail. Nonetheless, I hope their dreams will be fulfilled.

Stating that you intend to create a family of at least 5 children is not a smart one imho. Why put a number on it? And there are no guarantees that they are even able to conceive them or it might turn out to be much more complicated or they moght have a child that requires special care because of which a large family might not be the best idea. Something along the lines of hoping to have a large family would convey a somewhat similar message without going into unnecessary detail. Nonetheless, I hope their dreams will be fulfilled.

I believe that saying that they want to have 5 children is merely a figure of speech to mean that they want a big family. I don't think it should be interpreted literally or that they would be disappointed if, for example, they had "only" 3 children instead.

Last edited:
Wow....MF was a lovely bride but I prefer her evening gown over her the Church wedding dress, which I found rather plain. ( Tiara, hair and veil were stunning however)

She has absolutely amazing shoulders, perfect for that type of dress.?

I haven’t seen any photos of the bride’s oldest brother, only Infante Dinis

You mean the 6th, right?
Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen this picture yet. Laetitia looks lovely

On the 6th one there is Duke Wilhelm of Wurtemberg and his mother.

P.S. Giving that Prince Joachim went to Archduke Alexander's wedding alone, we may suppose that he is currently single.;)

On the 6th one there is Duke Wilhelm of Wurtemberg and his mother.

P.S. Giving that Prince Joachim went to Archduke Alexander's wedding alone, we may suppose that he is currently single.;)
In the precedent version of the post, it was the 6th picture. However, it appears it's not Laetitia (see the comments), but someone who resembles her, and the picture was removed.
As for her brother Joachim, I don't know if he is single but he certainly is no longer with Victoria Ortiz, judging from her Instagram they broke up a couple of years ago, at least

I haven’t seen any photos of the bride’s oldest brother, only Infante Dinis

I am also still looking for a picture that includes Afonso. Dinis accompanied his mother (as his father accompanied his sister into the church). Could he have been Duarte's best man?

I am also still looking for a picture that includes Afonso. Dinis accompanied his mother (as his father accompanied his sister into the church). Could he have been Duarte's best man?

The live blog that Blog Real linked had a photograph of his arrival. Or do you mean inside the church?

Back
Top Bottom