Imperial Family of Japan Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*Prince and Princess Chichibu's pictures*

His Imperial Highness Prince Chichibu (Yasuhito) was born in 1902,
the second son of Emperor Taisho. His given name was Yasuhito,
while his personal title for the young menbers was Prince Atsu.
Prince Chichibu married Setsuko Matsudaira,
first daughter of the late Tsuneo Matsudaira, on 28 September 1928.
Prince Chichibu was an active promoter of international goodwill,
serving in such positions as Honorary President of both the Japan-British Society and the Swedish Society of Japan.
Prince Chichibu was also widely renowned among the people of Japan
as the "sporting Prince" due to his efforts to promote skiing,
rugby and other sports.
Prince Chichibu passed away on 4 January 1953.

Her Imperial Highness Princess Chichibu (Setsuko) was born on 9 September 1909,
the eldest daughter of the late Tsuneo Matsudaira.
In addition to her official duties at the palace,
Princess Chichibu supported the activities of a number of groups in various fields, including international goodwill, health, sports and scholarship.
She was particularly involved for many years with the activities of the Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Association in her position as President.
Princess Chichibu passed away on 25 August 1995.

1:
Among the prominent people- in the world of affairs
who are enjoying a stay at the beautiful Hot Springs in Virginia are
the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his wife, Madame T. matsudaira with their daughters.
this photo shows the Ambassador, his wife, Masako,12, and Setsuko, 6 on the lawn at the Homestead, Hot Springs, VA. (4/2/1926)

2:
Photo shows the Japanese Ambassador and his family as they visited the cherry trees in Potomac Park.
The trees were the gift of the late Japanese Emperor to the American people.
This is the first picture of the Ambassadors family (together) in some time.
The oldest daughter, Setssu, will soon become the bride of the present Japanese Emperor's brother.
Left to right Ambassador Matsudaiva, his daughter Setsuko, Matsudaira, Masako and Jiro. (April 9, 1928)

Their weddings were held on September 28, 1928.

3: on thier wedding day,in western clothes.I love her dress:)
4&5: on thier wedding day,in traditional Japanese Imperial robes

6:princess Setsuko's official portrait

Last edited:
wow

thos pics look really nice, just shows how busy the japanese royal family are. :)

Old family photo taken in Dec. of 1995
from www.yuko2ch.net
img20060709222437ip4.jpg

cute photo of little Kako standing

Prince of Chota said:
This looks quite a bit like one of the tiaras that Empress Michiko sometimes wears. Anyone know anything about it?
Yes, now Empress Michiko sometimes wears Princess Setsuko's tiara.
I think Empress Michiko succeeded
the tiara of Princess Setsuko of postmortem her.

Does anyone have clear pics of Princess Itsuko(whose daughter is Princess Bangja Lee), and Princess Satoko(whose elder sister is Empress Kojun)?.... :) thx...

I'm breathless! Thank you for these great pics. I didn't know any of them and they are unique and special. I loved the ones with Emperor Hirohito ...and I laughed watching the photo were Prince Akishino appears as a toddler, wearing a traditional costume...He looks so diferent than now! Years are passing...:rolleyes:

Vanesa.

wow. the picture is spectacular! Very nice pictures!

Thank you all !

Empress Eisho

Thank you all for the beautiful pictures!!! I love old pictures very much. I would like to add one that I had recently found.

I present the first empress of Japan to be photographed :

The Empress Eisho (1834-1897).

Pic can be found here here : http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~kazuya22ai/ai/img/358.jpg
(don't know how to attach images...I am sorry...)

A bit about Empress Eisho : She was the wife of the 121st Emperor of Japan, Emperor Komei (1831-1867) and also the adoptive mother of Emperor Meiji. Her name was Asako and she was of the Fujiwara Clan, Kujo branch.

Hi Patator... you've post a very nice picture. Where did you get it? Thank you so much and welcome to this forum.

All the pictures are really impressive - I do admire the Japanese royal children as they are so cute. Older royal members look very nice too.

My goodness!, I cannot thank you enough! I've always searching for these kinds of photos, & do you know how hard it is to to find? especially Hirohito's family & princess Teru. They're stunning and also a good quality. You've lighten my day!

Lovely Princess Hanako with her pets. Picture taken in 1986.

**Pic**

Imperial children growing
I do not know all of the pics but from those I do know I´d suppose that it is always: Sayako, Mako, Kako, Hisahito, Aiko (from left to right).
And I´d really like to know what happened to little Sayako between pic 7 and 8. :ermm: School maybe? If so, I would not be keen on meeting the classmates...:nonono:

Imperial children growing
I do not know all of the pics but from those I do know I´d suppose that it is always: Sayako, Mako, Kako, Hisahito, Aiko (from left to right).
And I´d really like to know what happened to little Sayako between pic 7 and 8. :ermm: School maybe? If so, I would not be keen on meeting the classmates...:nonono:
:ohmy: ChiaraC thanks you :flowers: but the link not open :sad:

Oouups! :ohmy: For me the link does work, I have just checked. Unfortunately, I do not have a clue what could be the problem. :ermm:
I will just try and give the direct adress here:
http://www.yuko2ch.net/mako/makok/src/1315269194636.jpg
If you copy and paste it, maybe it will work? Otherwise, we would have to ask a mod for help.

Another idea: I have already noticed that the yuko-page is undergoing some maintenance today, sometimes I succeed in getting there, sometimes not. Maybe you just try again later?

Oouups! :ohmy: For me the link does work, I have just checked. Unfortunately, I do not have a clue what could be the problem. :ermm:
I will just try and give the direct adress here:
http://www.yuko2ch.net/mako/makok/src/1315269194636.jpg
If you copy and paste it, maybe it will work? Otherwise, we would have to ask a mod for help.
i have idea for you dont wory ; save the pictures in you Desktop & upload to freehost website for fotos ;)

is work ?

Thanks for the photos!
The Imperial couple is lovely.

I can see the pictures from Chiara's link just fine today - great pictures. Lots of different moods and expressions.

The Imperial couple's Diamond anniversary

TM the Emperor Showa and the Empress Kojun with their relatives (uncluding the minor branches of Imperial family lost their titles in 1947) on Nov 4, 1984 marking the Diamond anniversary (60 years since their wedding day) of the Imperial couple.

**Pic**

Imperial family/beginning of the seventies
From left to right: Prince Hitachi, Empress Nagako, Emperor Hirohito, Princess Hitachi, Fumihito (playing the piano), Naruhito, then-Crown Princess Michiko with Sayako, then-Crown Prince Akihito

Imperial family/end of the seventies
From left to right: Princess Hitachi, Prince Hitachi, Fumihito, Emperor Hirohito, Empress Nagako, Naruhito, then-Crown Princess Michiko with Sayako, then-Crown Prince Akihito

New Year (and lots of princesses with tiaras... ;))

Last edited:
ChiaraC said:
Imperial family/beginning of the seventies
From left to right: Prince Hitachi, Empress Nagako, Emperor Hirohito, Princess Hitachi, Fumihito (playing the piano), Naruhito, then-Crown Princess Michiko with Sayako, then-Crown Prince Akihito

Imperial family/end of the seventies
From left to right: Princess Hitachi, Prince Hitachi, Fumihito, Emperor Hirohito, Empress Nagako, Naruhito, then-Crown Princess Michiko with Sayako, then-Crown Prince Akihito

New Year (and lots of princesses with tiaras... ;))

Love the last batch of photos - very rare chances of seeing Masako in tiara with the other imperial ladies.

Back
Top Bottom