If France Became A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Namely, the underlying cause of the Yellow Vest movement has been neoliberal policies that have made it more difficult for lower-income people to maintain an adequate standard of living. The abolition, under Macron, of the wealth tax, coupled with increases in the fuel tax and austerity measures, is what caused this.

Mmm lets say from a domestic point a view, things are a bit more complicated. For sure the mentioned mesures didn"t help, but the Yellow Vests movement was (because let's face it it now basically over) a bit of social crisis surrounded by a lot of far right and far left rioters who wanted nothing but anarchy.
At the end of the day Macron is still in power, and his party was not, far from it, laminated during the last European elections.
So back to normal, and the Republic was not in danger for a second ...

If France still had a Royal Family would they be globally popular like the BRF?

Do you think if France had a royal family (again) would they be as a popular as the British royal family?, I feel like they would be but the British would have a leg up with the English language.

I'd like to think they would be, esp with weddings,fashion,regal titles,palaces,chateaus

thoughts?

It depends what sort of personalities they had as well as many other things. If there were outspoken they may not have lasted long! Similarly, if the women were chic the family might have gained some publicity in French and foreign magazines etc. And French chateaus are of course superb.

However, I do think that the BRF would have prevailed overall in the Press of the English speaking world simply because of the language, and in some cases the Commonwealth links.

It depends what sort of personalities they had as well as many other things. If there were outspoken they may not have lasted long! Similarly, if the women were chic the family might have gained some publicity in French and foreign magazines etc. And French chateaus are of course superb.

However, I do think that the BRF would have prevailed overall in the Press of the English speaking world simply because of the language, and in some cases the Commonwealth links.

I agree but I like to think the French would've been just as popular but the BRF would've a edge with the English language and possibly the commonwealth links.

Imagine a French royal wedding? would've been popular and stunning lol

In pre-fire Notre Dame perhaps, where Napoleon III married Eugenie? Royal weddings when France was a monarchy seem to have taken place at various locations. It would indeed be ultra-glamorous and European royalty would be there for sure.

Last edited:
The flower gardens of some of the French palaces are superb. Empress Josephine had numerous flowers and roses brought to her residence of Malmaison.

What do you guys think would be the French equivalent of Windsor Castle, Balmoral, Kensington Palace, etc?

In pre-fire Notre Dame perhaps, where Napoleon III married Eugenie? Royal weddings when France was a monarchy seem to have taken place at various locations. It would indeed be ultra-glamorous and European royalty would be there for sure.

Sacre Coeur Basilica would be gorgeous as well, I can't even imagine how glamorous a coronation would be

There are some wonderful French chateaux. Versailles would be no 1 palace, sans doute, but there are all sorts of places in "chateaux country".

France already is a monarchy. The President is the most powerful one in democratic countries and can even consent legislation pushed through without any parliamentary approval, which is effectively royalist absolutism (this did happen 92 times since 1958, under all Presidents of all political colours). Of course, in the best royalist tradition, people assemble in fierce protests against all this, as we see these days. I don't think the French want to swap Emmanuel Macron, they can get rid off every 5 years, for a Jean d'Orléans or a Jean-Christophe Napoléon they never can get rid of...

Last edited:
An Autocratic Monarchy only...that cuts the riots immediatly and raises retirement age to 67 like everywhere else in the civilised world.i.e. her!

But only under the House of Bonaparte.

Toying with the idea, what residences would a French royal family use?

One representative residence in Paris and perhaps one more where they live or for other members of the (hypothetical) FRF, like the heir.
Plus, this new French monarchy will of course host grand occasions with foreign royals invited in, where would they be housed?

One near the coast, like in Provence or close to the Swiss or Italian border - yachting and skiing - royals also needs to be seen.

One private more recluse residence, where they can be themselves. Where would that be? Massif Central? The forests near the border to the west?
The scenic ares of France to the north-west? Aka "Asterix & Obelix-land."

Others?

Interesting What If topic. So here's my to-do list If France Became A Monarchy:

1. Restore the Empire under House Napoleon. In the XIX Century the Bourbons had a chance to return to power after the fall of the Second Empire and the arrogant candidate rejected the revolutionary flag. So let's move on and get the Napoleons back since now, thanks to marriages into the Bourbon Two-Sicily lineage the current heir apparent is also a cadet branch of the Capetian line. Besides, Empire sounds better than Kingdom or royal.

1.a - forbid the Orleans or Bourbons to use titles related to geographical locations, if they don't show alliance to their Napoleon cousins then no more duplicate titles or family fights.

2. Where to live, only one place: a restored Palace of Fontainebleau and in the city rebuild and expand Château de Saint-Cloud.

3. Funding - allocate money like a Trust, that would cover expenses and reinvest into French corporations that produce jobs. Its a full circle investment.

4. Clothing - French is the fashion capital of the planet and the major houses, all earning millions on their own, should contribute with providing the imperial family a clothes access allowance, and gowns used for major events become museum pieces. Everybody wins since the new imperial family would become the front page of France fashion industry.

I'll also need, in fine print, an annual tiara allowance for all females and mandatory use on any major activity so we can all comment in here about it.

Did I miss anything?

Toying with the idea, what residences would a French royal family use?

One representative residence in Paris and perhaps one more where they live or for other members of the (hypothetical) FRF, like the heir.
Plus, this new French monarchy will of course host grand occasions with foreign royals invited in, where would they be housed?

If the monarchy were restored in France, perhaps the family would choose to use the Palace of Versailles for the most important ceremonies of the monarchy and to accommodate foreign guests.

The residence for the royal family to live in, I'm not sure which one would be chosen. Perhaps the royal family would choose to live in Chambord Castle? it doesn't seem to be very big and maybe it was a residence where the family would have more privacy...

Not sure about Versailles to be a royal or imperial residence since it's a major contributor for tourism. I won't get near that important revenue.

The Fontainebleau Palace is big and if restored, with new living apartment wings could also double the use to accommodate senior and elderly royals like Kensington palace. Just like condos.

How A Medieval Hunting Lodge Became A Royal Renaissance Palace

Interesting What If topic. So here's my to-do list If France Became A Monarchy:

1. Restore the Empire under House Napoleon. In the XIX Century the Bourbons had a chance to return to power after the fall of the Second Empire and the arrogant candidate rejected the revolutionary flag. So let's move on and get the Napoleons back since now, thanks to marriages into the Bourbon Two-Sicily lineage the current heir apparent is also a cadet branch of the Capetian line. Besides, Empire sounds better than Kingdom or royal.

1.a - forbid the Orleans or Bourbons to use titles related to geographical locations, if they don't show alliance to their Napoleon cousins then no more duplicate titles or family fights.

2. Where to live, only one place: a restored Palace of Fontainebleau and in the city rebuild and expand Château de Saint-Cloud.

3. Funding - allocate money like a Trust, that would cover expenses and reinvest into French corporations that produce jobs. Its a full circle investment.

4. Clothing - French is the fashion capital of the planet and the major houses, all earning millions on their own, should contribute with providing the imperial family a clothes access allowance, and gowns used for major events become museum pieces. Everybody wins since the new imperial family would become the front page of France fashion industry.

I'll also need, in fine print, an annual tiara allowance for all females and mandatory use on any major activity so we can all comment in here about it.

Did I miss anything?

You forget that the Bonapartes were the last ones to be thrown out, that the current pretender is neither a descendant of Napoléon I nor a descendant of Napoléon III, that the father of the current pretender is openly republican and désavoues Bonapartism.

In recent years, the term Bonapartism has been used more generally for political movements that advocate for an authoritarian centralised state, support for the military, and conservatism. The current pretender has never openly embraced Bonapartism. And seeing how France reacts on Macron, on Hollande, on Sarkozy, I very much doubt the French are waiting for an even more authoritarian centralist Bonapartist Government in France "delivered" by hereditary succession....

Last edited:
Does a French monarchy have to have a direct political role?

The politics could be left to the PM with the monarch being a figurehead. A kind of national conservative role model, with social democrat virtues, having a keen interest in green agendas, while openly supporting liberal led initiatives in regards to French export, commerce and innovation.
That pretty much describes the role of most European monarchies these days.

A direct political role would only lead to a short monarchy. Not least in France where protesting has evolved into a highly organized and habitual form of expression... ?

Does a French monarchy have to have a direct political role?

The politics could be left to the PM with the monarch being a figurehead. A kind of national conservative role model, with social democrat virtues, having a keen interest in green agendas, while openly supporting liberal led initiatives in regards to French export, commerce and innovation.
That pretty much describes the role of most European monarchies these days.

A direct political role would only lead to a short monarchy. Not least in France where protesting has evolved into a highly organized and habitual form of expression... ?
The Bourbons actually had a chance after the restoration of the monarchy, but because of the tricolor flag (politics) they didn’t last long. I wonder how it would have turned out if Charles X had accepted the tricolor? I think if it survived it would be a constitutional monarchy along the lines of the U.K

The Bourbons actually had a chance after the restoration of the monarchy, but because of the tricolor flag (politics) they didn’t last long. I wonder how it would have turned out if Charles X had accepted the tricolor? I think if it survived it would be a constitutional monarchy along the lines of the U.K

Had Charles X survived July 1830 he would have died King in 1836 and would have been survived by his son Louis Antoine, Duke of Angoulême with Marie Thérèse as Queen.
Louis Antoine and Marie Thérèse were childless with Louis dying in 1844 and would have been succeeded by his nephew Henri, Count of Chambord.
Henri was sadly too conservative and insisted on ditching the tricolour and wanted a return to the use of the fleur de lys flag!

He even rejected the proposed flag of France
382px-France_flag_-_Henri_d%27Artois%27_design.png

There was also an attempt to restore the Monarchy in 1873 but the Count of Chambord did not accept the tricolore and wanted the lilies flag so it fell.

It would be strange that a desire to a restoration fails on a piece of textile. That is how history popularized it but more likely is that the attempt for restore the monarchy simply failed to generate enough enthusiasm and momentum.

It would be strange that a desire to a restoration fails on a piece of textile. That is how history popularized it but more likely is that the attempt for restore the monarchy simply failed to generate enough enthusiasm and momentum.

The Count of Chambord was also childless knew too well what happened to the previous monarchs since Charles X.
He preferred the quiet life.

There was actually a chance for the Bourbons, but the issue of the tricolor and the failure of the Biurbons to make a compromise

Perhaps but flags can be extremely strong symbols. Says I coming from one of the absolute most flag-wawing countries in the world.
And the fleur de lys had been used for centuries by that time. Strong feelings.

I think what the King failed to understand was that France during the revolution, the republic and the reign of Napoleon had gone from following the king so to speak, to being deeply nationalist and that transition had taken place under the Tricolour. = Strong feelings!
The proposed amalgamation of the two might either have worked admirably or not at all. I don't think there was a golden middle way there.

Last edited:
The Count of Chambord was also childless knew too well what happened to the previous monarchs since Charles X.

He preferred the quiet life.
The Count wanted to be king and it was planned for him to become king with the Count of Paris as his heir, but the flag was to much of an issue for him to overlook. In the end after two serious attempts had been made the by royalists dominated parliament had enough of his antics and reluctantly declared that the temporary republic under Adolphe Thiers would continue under the even more reluctant and royalist Duke of Magenta as president while waiting for the Count of Paris to be able to ascend the throne on the death of the Count of Chambord. When that finally happened in 1883 the support for the monarchy was waining as the French people's support for the at the time stable and prosperous Third Republic had grown.
In the words of Pope Pius XI - "And all that, all that for a napkin!"

Henri could have reached a compromise and had the fleur-de-lys as his personal standard and retain the tricolour ,the impossible Borbons!

The fleur-de-lys of the Bourbon kings
524px-Royal_Standard_of_the_Kingdom_of_France.jpg

Last edited:
Henri could have reached a compromise and had the fleur-de-lys as his personal standard and retain the tricolour ,the impossible Borbons!

The fleur-de-lys of the Bourbon kings

524px-Royal_Standard_of_the_Kingdom_of_France.jpg
That was the compromise suggested to the Count that he turned down.

The fleur-de-lys became one of the most despised symbols after 1792 and mobs were sent about erasing it from Monuments,churches and palaces.
Stained Glass windows with the Royal Arms were smashed .

If France were still a monarchy, I think it would be the most well-known monarchy in the world next to the British one.
Perhaps it was the Orleans who were on the throne and the Palace of Versailles was the palace most used by the royal family.

Back
Top Bottom