How to quote parts of posts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lise

Courtier
City
somewhere in
Country
Australia
Hi everyone
I have a question how do I quote part of another member's post instead of the whole post?

Hello lise,

It's easy! Use the Quote function then delete everything except the portion of the quote that you wish to keep. Try it with this post. :)

Good luck!

Thanks mandy hopefully this worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paty said:
Hello, i have a quenstion too.

How do I quote part of answers of diferent menbers in the same post?

Exsample see post number 47 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/discussion-posting-habits-spanish-forum-10188-3.html
You have to copy and paste from the various posts, remembering to use
original posting member's name said:
and finishing that part with the end quote [ /quote] (no spaces). Once you have them in your post with your responses, click 'Preview Post' to see how it looks, and delete any excessive blank spacing.

Be careful not to overuse the multiple quote technique so your posts dont appear as being 'argumentative'.

Last edited:
Oh, thaks for your pront reply Warren.

ok, but frist, do I have to clink on POST REPLY?, and then paste?

Last edited:
You can click on "post reply" and then paste what you want to reply to.

You can also click on "Quote" and delete the bits you don't want to reply to.

If you want to reply to several bits of a post separately, you can either do as Warren said and manually add the [ quote] ... [ /quote ] tags (without the spaces) around each bit you want to reply to, or you can highlight the text you want to reply to and then click the icon at the top of the Reply box which looks like a square "balloon" with writing in it. If you mouse over that icon, it says "wrap quote tags around selected text."

Many Thanks, for yur help.

Elspeth said:
If you want to reply to several bits of a post separately... you can highlight the text you want to reply to and then click the icon at the top of the Reply box which looks like a square "balloon" with writing in it. If you mouse over that icon, it says "wrap quote tags around selected text."
This icon (between the envelope and the #) (I've just learned something!):
quote.gif

Elspeth said:
or you can highlight the text you want to reply to and then click the icon at the top of the Reply box which looks like a square "balloon" with writing in it.
For me quoting only functions if I use the "Quote" button. And then I also, logically, can only quote from one post. Does anyone know why it doesn't function? :sad:

Btw, I can also not put up a link, because while I can copy I cannot paste anything into the Reply box. Therefore I would have to type the whole URL, with long URLs impossible. :bang:

To paste URLs have you tried hitting on your keyboard: they key marked ctrl & the letter v at the same time? I know that works for me. Or right click your mouse & click on the word Paste

Ms Griffin said:
Btw, I can also not put up a link, because while I can copy I cannot paste anything into the Reply box. Therefore I would have to type the whole URL, with long URLs impossible. :bang:

Lady Jennifer said:
To paste URLs have you tried hitting on your keyboard: they key marked ctrl & the letter v at the same time? I know that works for me. Or right click your mouse & click on the word Paste
Well the second option doesn't work for me. And the first option I will try in a moment.

Okay that works. Thanks. :flowers:

Now I have only still the quoting problem.

Mandy said:
Hello lise,

delete everything except the portion of the quote that you wish to keep. Try it with this post. :)

Good luck!

:flowers: I wondered that too, thanks for solving the problem? (I hope)

Back
Top Bottom