How Much is Too Much??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hmmm, that IS a lot.

From that ruby thing we've seen previously, it would seem that Camilla favours large necklaces. However, I think she might better have stayed with two or three strands rather than the full five. It is a beautiful piece, but the ensemble comes across as so HEAVY!

If it would have been pulled back a little more it had looked better. Look at the pictures of the QMum wearing it. It stays higher on her. Maybe she had a thicker neck:ermm:?
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/QueenMother-5RowsofGrevilleNecklace.jpg

Last edited:
personally I think the Brunei thingies are just fine. As for Queen Juliana, she was not a sweet young thing. The problem is not with Juliana, it is with that ghastly parurue, which I have always found hideous. It belongs on the Worst Jewels Thread where we could gang up on the poor Dutch RF and roast the massive Dutch ruby horror for all it is worth, which is no doubt a lot.

About Brunei jewels, yes they have great collection of jewelry specialy tiaras.
Sometime when I watch photos from Brunei events I don't know what is the most impressive - jewels or clothes?

Yes, Dutch jewels (tiaras) are terrible, I think.

personally I think the Brunei thingies are just fine. As for Queen Juliana, she was not a sweet young thing. The problem is not with Juliana, it is with that ghastly parurue, which I have always found hideous. It belongs on the Worst Jewels Thread where we could gang up on the poor Dutch RF and roast the massive Dutch ruby horror for all it is worth, which is no doubt a lot.
I disagree. I think the parure is fine, definately one of their better ones. But from the pics I would guess they were taken mid-eighties - definately the era of excess!

too much is when the Queen 'allowed' Camilla to 'borrow' the 5 diamond necklaces that the Queen Mum had once worn (but she only was seen with 3 strands on) - enough said!!!

It is all I suppose a question of taste. De gustibus non disputandum. The five strand Greville thingie is magnificent beyond words and with the tiara it is stunning. The latest picture of Camilla just goes to prove it. I for one would love to be able to see Camilla in person wearing the thing. I understand that the actual effect of all those diamonds in person cannot even begin to be communicated by a photograph. Which is as it should be. Now how do you finagle an invitation to Buckingham Palace. Besides if I showed up at the place I would probably be so bedazzled by all the paraphanalia and the Queen that I would drop my soup spoon or fall flat on my face and be tossed out on my ears. But my what an experience. How many people do you know have been tossed out of BP?? Cheers.

This picture always comes to mind when I think about how much is too much:
http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0320/QueenJuliana.jpg

I'll see if I can find a better one.
http://www.royalpostcards.be/doodsprentjes/40.jpg

Holy man. I swear that her late Majesty is a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the movie "MRS DOUBTFIRE" in these photos...it's uncanny!

No disrepect intended to admirers of Queen Juliana or to any Dutchmen, I promise! Just an idle observation.

Last edited:
Holy man. I swear that her late Majesty is a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the movie "MRS DOUBTFIRE" in these photos...it's uncanny!

No disrepect intended to admirers of Queen Juliana or to any Dutchmen, I promise! Just an idle observation.

As much as I hate to do it, I have to agree with you about the whole Queen Juliana/Mrs. Doubtfire resemblance. Uncanny and a little weird--:ohmy:

Regarding this ruby parue--when it is worn all together it is just overwhelmingly too much for my eyes to handle (and believe me, I love seeing Queen Mary in all her finery)--I think that the parue itself is simply "heavy" if that makes sense. You really don't need the stomacher and the necklace and the earrings and the tiara and the brooches, etc....
here is a link to a Dutch Royal Jewels site, my link goes directly to the Mellerio Ruby Parue--and if you scroll down, you'll see that Maxima never wears both tiara and necklace, and looks just lovely.
Ruby Parure
I think Princess Laurentien wears that necklace beautifully--nice neckline, perfect color red for the jewels, etc.....
but put it all together and it is TOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

No doubt about it the parure is a flop. The tiara is a disaster and should be subjected to the tender mercies of our Worst Jewels Thread. They need to take the thing apart and reconstruct the blob into something at least half way decent. And the stones themselves are lovely. as much as I love a good stomacher, this one is just ripe for the trash can. The neclace is crying out for a good set of pliers and a blow torch. Now How does one address such matters to Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands.

Dear Your Majesty Queen Beatrix,

Sorry dear heart, but with all due respect the ruby Parure stinks to high Heaven. Break it up, sell the gem stones and give the proceeds to charity.

Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant,

I can see it now. "and from America of all places. Well what do you expect?"Cheers.

Luckily royal jewelry is not subject to anyone's whims. It is understandable if not everyone appreciates history, tradition and culture. The royal houses are generally very consientious in keeping pieces intact and not be influenced by any current trends in bling.

Luckily royal jewelry is not subject to anyone's whims. It is understandable if not everyone appreciates history, tradition and culture. The royal houses are generally very consientious in keeping pieces intact and not be influenced by any current trends in bling.

Are you kidding?;) The Dutch royals in particular are in love with disassembling and reassembling their jewels!

Current taste in bling my foot. The thing is a flop, a dud, a disaster, a royal snafu, a massive failure of taste and a disgusting exhibition of more money than good sense. Melt things down and start over I say. Compare this piece of expensive and overpriced garbage to the Princess Mary's ruby parure and we go from the horrible to the sublime. So get in there and disassemble and reassemble with unDutch abandon. Cheers.

So, Thomas, do you like it? ;)

I hate, I loathe, I detest, I despise and I abominate that wholesale waste and squandering of some magnificent gemstones. The tiara is just plain ugly, indeed revolting, no matter whose pretty or not so pretty or just plain Dutch ugly head you plop it on. The earings are nice. But that is all.

Believe me, I have tried. and tried and tried. The rubies are marvelous and the diamonds, are, well diamonds. Now who can not just love diamonds. But the design, construction, configuration or what you will of the Mellerio parure is just plain nauseating. The jeweler must have been either drunk or strung out on mushrooms grown on cow pats. Or both.

I wish I knew what his brand of booze was. I would be sure to avoid it. cheers.

The way the diamonds are set on the tiara has always reminded me of a Christmas tree decked out with garland. I hate to say it, because they are large diamonds, after all--I do agree with THomas--the earrings are lovely, and I rather like the necklace, the brooches are nice--but the tiara---well, I say dismantle it, make a couple of riviere's and turn the rest into something more attractive.

Thomas--I'm curious as to whether you might like this piece that I recently became aware of--and, I must admit, I do love it. The simplicity of the design is refreshing after this ruby horror!
Diamond Bandeau Tiara

Last edited:
I think the picture of Juliana isn't doing justice to the parure. And together with a patterned dress, order, etc. it looks too busy. On this picture Juliana is wearing the same parure, all pieces (bracelets are not visible on this picture) and the effect isn't overwhelming at all.

I like the stomacher, brooches, earings, bracelet and even the necklace of the parure but the tiara isn't the best one I have seen. I don't like the side prongs and that Beatrix burries most of the tiara in her hairdo doesn't help either. The diamonds themselves are pretty and big btw, the parure is probably much more worth than the parure of Mary, though her parure is much more elegant indeed.

Last edited:
Honestly, when I saw a picture of Mary with her ruby parure I think it was a bit too much. The tiara, earrings and necklace were too much. I just wish she used smaller earrings for that. The necklace + tiara is already grand.;)
Plus, with her hair down it looks like a mess. It would be nice if she have it pinned-up.

I LOVE the Dutch Diamond Bandeau! Absolutely one of my favourite tiaras, because of its simplicity. And yet, it is anything but spare. Just a single row of diamonds the size of eye-balls! I love it!!!

I LOVE the Dutch Diamond Bandeau! Absolutely one of my favourite tiaras, because of its simplicity. And yet, it is anything but spare. Just a single row of diamonds the size of eye-balls! I love it!!!

Isn't it gorgeous! If I'm being honest I just sat here and drooled the first time I saw it. Such a splendid piece, such large diamonds, such a classic simple piece with such majesty. As soon as I saw it it quickly moved into my top five favorite pieces. How could it not? That tiara, with a nice riviere, some very simple earrings---OH MY! Maxima will look amazing. I hope to see this one a lot.

It is indeed riveting in its simplicity although the size of each of those diamonds is nothing to sneeze at. :wub:

However, and this is a biggie, it looks ghastly on older women! Sort of too small or insignificant, or maybe it's just the big hair, but on everyone, and I mean every single one, it looked just plain boring. How does one render such a wonderful piece nondescript? I don't have the answer, but I am sure the only reason any of these women of style actually wore it was as a personal penance. :eek:

Their Royal Highnesses Princess Margriet and Christina both sucessfully carried it off, but on HRH Princess Maxima? Wow, what can I say, it looks fabulous, very understated, but altogether in a class of it's own. :in_love:

There is an old adage about "clothes maketh the man" but in this case, "Maxima maketh the Bandeau". I really can't see how any other family members would choose to wear it as unflattering comparisons would be inevitable. :ohmy:

I don't think I have ever seen any such perfect match other than Diana and the Spencer Tiara. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom